5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anyone with timing advance notice ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006 | 09:25 PM

Anyone with timing advance notice ...

I recently had the timing advance done. I notice the car seems more responsive in the lower rpm's. However, is it just me or have others seen this.

It seems like the car pull less, from speeds 95+ mph and upwards?
Old 02-06-2006 | 05:26 AM

Seeing as you live in NY I highly doubt that driving 95+ mph anywhere is actually legal which is probably why nobody has responded to your thread...the .org doesn't really endorse speeding like that...just to let you know

...maybe your car likes you and doesn't want you to get a ticket or lose your license
Old 02-06-2006 | 06:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yea i mean why would you be doing 95+ anyway, when you are at that speed you are running high rpm and the timing advance is pretty much only good for lower rpms
Old 02-06-2006 | 08:15 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Kruppa - IMO woosh asked a legit question. Please tell me that you never drove your car beyond street speed limit?

May be he could have asked how car behaves at higher speeds rather than at specific speed (e.g. 95 mph), but that may be just semantics in this case He obviously sees the gains at lower speeds and loss at higher speeds and is asking is other see the same...
Old 02-06-2006 | 08:18 AM
OU > *

The timing advance really only has a noticeable difference in the lower RPMs because as you increase speed/RPMs, your timing is pretty much "advancing itself" to keep up with your lead foot. I had the timing set to 17 degs a few months ago and really haven't seen much performance difference but I have noticed a slight improvement in gas mileage.
Old 02-06-2006 | 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by igzy
Kruppa - IMO woosh asked a legit question. Please tell me that you never drove your car beyond street speed limit?
I never said what I do or don't do...I was just telling him that is the reason that nobody is going to answer his question...that's just the way it is bc the .org doesn't agree with that type of driving (at least in words on the website)

I was just tryin to help him out...

If you rephrased it to say why won't it accelerate as quickly at higher rpm's that would basically be the same question bc at 95 they are high and then people might respond or you could just search and see that it only helps at lower rpm's and that would be your answer
Old 02-06-2006 | 08:31 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Kruppa, agreed I had added that in my post too, must have been just at the same time as you have typed your response...
Old 02-06-2006 | 08:36 AM
Need A Light?

yes my car became more responsive in the lower RPMs....

dunno about my car losing breathe at 95+ though....it seems to pull very hard until 120mph+...then it seems so struggle
Old 02-06-2006 | 08:44 AM

Can't understand why people flame the guy for asking a simple question. Regardless of how fast he drives, either answer question or move on. Seeing that lots of people up here beat the crap out of there cars and wonder why they have so many problems then wanna blame Nissan...I don't have a answer for your question so I won't anything to say. positive or negative.
Old 02-06-2006 | 09:33 AM
Seoul Man

Changing your base timing should have no effect on your car's performance at WOT. If your performance has, in fact, decreased at high speed/high RPM, blame something other than your timing advancement.
Old 02-06-2006 | 01:11 PM

is it true that once you get the timing advance done you can only use 93+ octane gas?
Old 02-06-2006 | 01:16 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by 03on18s
is it true that once you get the timing advance done you can only use 93+ octane gas?
91 is the minimum octane to prevent detonation after timing advance, IIRC.
Old 02-06-2006 | 01:51 PM
Need A Light?

I heard 17 degree timing advance requires 91 octane....18 dgerees will require 93 octane
Old 02-06-2006 | 02:31 PM
retired moderator

I have the timing advanced, and yes, it gives better initial throttle response. I have no problem getting up over 220mph though....not sure what your problem is...

Old 02-06-2006 | 05:03 PM

No problems with timing advance here. The car does feel more responsive and I calculated almost a 10 percent improvement in fuel economy.

It could be that the car just feels a bit slower at higher speeds because you improved your low end. The difference between low RPM power and high RPM power isn't as much as it was. When I've done mods that help out the high RPM it always feels like loosing low RPM power even though dynos prove otherwise.

We get used to our cars performing a certain way. I'll bet if you decreased your low end power it would feel like you gained power in the higher RPM range.
Old 02-06-2006 | 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
I have the timing advanced, and yes, it gives better initial throttle response. I have no problem getting up over 220mph though....not sure what your problem is...

220mph, hahahh
wow irish44j, thats fast...... (LMAO)
hahahha
where is the best place to get my advance timing done?
thanks
huso
Old 02-06-2006 | 05:20 PM

Ok, I have a quick question. Does anyone know if the Nissan dealership is the only one that can advance our timing? Reason I ask is because one of my buddies is a service advisor at a Chevy Dealership and would be able to help me out. They just use a ObII tool right???
Old 02-06-2006 | 05:25 PM
Need A Light?

yes nissan or infiniti dealership...or any car shop that carries the CONSULT II
Old 02-06-2006 | 06:32 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Gjohnson
Ok, I have a quick question. Does anyone know if the Nissan dealership is the only one that can advance our timing? Reason I ask is because one of my buddies is a service advisor at a Chevy Dealership and would be able to help me out. They just use a ObII tool right???
no, the OBD2 cannot change the settings (if it could, I'd use mine)...

you need a CONSULT II, which is a Nissan/Infiniti=specific module that only dealers have (and anyone else who wants to shell out $4K)
Old 02-06-2006 | 09:01 PM

Kruppa

And others concerned about the speed, thanks. I understand that every action has a consequence but for the record the avg cruising speed is 80 - 85, driving home. I know still not legal and if an officer wants to pull over everyone he can and has the right to do so (fingers crossed). The long drive home has some nice lil stretches and every now and then I let the six loose.

Thanks for the comments and answer(s). I felt it was psychological cause the car still pulls strong, just seemed like the effect was a lil less.
Old 02-06-2006 | 10:31 PM
<3my2kMaxSE

Originally Posted by Kruppa
Seeing as you live in NY I highly doubt that driving 95+ mph anywhere is actually legal which is probably why nobody has responded to your thread...the .org doesn't really endorse speeding like that...just to let you know

...maybe your car likes you and doesn't want you to get a ticket or lose your license
Get off the before you start another thread war over stuff that has been beat to death in previous arguments too many times before. If you don't want to contribute, then don't, but by God please don't preach.

Old 02-07-2006 | 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by IMSOSLO
Get off the before you start another thread war over stuff that has been beat to death in previous arguments too many times before. If you don't want to contribute, then don't, but by God please don't preach.

I thought I was speaking for the majority here... Seeing as I've been around much longer than you I think I know the responses to threads involving excessive speeds. Donating and long time members often respond negatively to posts like that and I wasn't preaching or saying I don't speed, just helpin him out and letting him know that many distinguised people won't respond due to the information in the thread...thanks for your concern tho and just keep driving SOSLO.

Woosh...I get your reasoning and I'm glad you found the answer you wanted.
Old 02-07-2006 | 06:33 AM
THIS IS...

Are there any risks to having your timing advanced? I mean can it hurt anything in the long run? I have been running 91 octane since I bought my Max.
Old 02-07-2006 | 06:38 AM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by alpinestars
Are there any risks to having your timing advanced? I mean can it hurt anything in the long run? I have been running 91 octane since I bought my Max.
no risks what so ever....its listed as "factory specification" by the FSM....if indeed your engine or transmission blows up...its not becuz of your timing advance
Old 02-07-2006 | 06:51 AM
THIS IS...

awesome, i hear it costs about 40.00 to have it done is that about accurate?
Old 02-07-2006 | 07:47 AM

$40 is what it cost me. it all depends just call around and take the lowest price. but to let you know the avg. is about $80
Old 02-07-2006 | 11:24 AM

I had the timing advance done on my 2000 Max at the local dealer and they did it for free the first time, but I will find out tomorrow if they are charging for the service now. I have an 03 Max at this point and want to have the timing advance done on it. According to my dealer, they have only been asked to do it one time and that was when I went in on my 2000 Max.
Old 02-07-2006 | 12:13 PM

My dealer did it for free. They hadn't heard of it before that. The service advisor had to check with the head mechanic to see if it would be alright. I think they thought I was crazy at first.

I was surprised they did it free. I didn't buy the car there and I do all my own work so they didn't even know me. I think they were curious to see the results.
Old 02-07-2006 | 01:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Kruppa reminded me of the 8 Monkey Theorem.

Put eight monkeys in a room. In the middle of the room is a ladder, leading to a bunch of bananas hanging from a hook on the ceiling. Each time a monkey tries to climb the ladder, all the monkeys are sprayed with ice water, which makes them miserable. Soon enough, whenever a monkey attempts to climb the ladder, all of the other monkeys, not wanting to be sprayed, set upon him and beat him up.

Soon, none of the eight monkeys ever attempts to climb the ladder. One of the original monkeys is then removed, and a new monkey is put in the room. Seeing the bananas and the ladder, he wonders why none of the other monkeys are doing the obvious, but, undaunted, he immediately begins to climb the ladder. All the other monkeys fall upon him and beat him silly. He has no idea why. However, he no longer attempts to climb the ladder.

A second original monkey is removed and replaced. The newcomer again attempts to climb the ladder, but all the other monkeys hammer the crap out of him. This includes the previous new monkey, who, grateful that he's not on the receiving end this time, participates in the beating because all the other monkeys are doing it. However, he has no idea why he's attacking the new monkey.

One by one, all the original monkeys are replaced. Eight new monkeys are now in the room. None of them have ever been sprayed by ice water. None of them attempt to climb the ladder. All of them will
enthusiastically beat up any new monkey who tries, without having any idea why.
Old 02-07-2006 | 02:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by steven88
yes my car became more responsive in the lower RPMs....

dunno about my car losing breathe at 95+ though....it seems to pull very hard until 120mph+...then it seems so struggle

i know we have been talking about how unsafe it is for excessive speeds but, i have gotten my max to 130mph and it seemed like it was still going...i let off though b/c i thought about going to jail.....open road of course..lol....by the way, that is stock....no mods as of yet....timing advance is on the way
Old 02-07-2006 | 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by 03NHmax
Kruppa reminded me of the 8 Monkey Theorem.

Put eight monkeys in a room. In the middle of the room is a ladder, leading to a bunch of bananas hanging from a hook on the ceiling. Each time a monkey tries to climb the ladder, all the monkeys are sprayed with ice water, which makes them miserable. Soon enough, whenever a monkey attempts to climb the ladder, all of the other monkeys, not wanting to be sprayed, set upon him and beat him up.

Soon, none of the eight monkeys ever attempts to climb the ladder. One of the original monkeys is then removed, and a new monkey is put in the room. Seeing the bananas and the ladder, he wonders why none of the other monkeys are doing the obvious, but, undaunted, he immediately begins to climb the ladder. All the other monkeys fall upon him and beat him silly. He has no idea why. However, he no longer attempts to climb the ladder.

A second original monkey is removed and replaced. The newcomer again attempts to climb the ladder, but all the other monkeys hammer the crap out of him. This includes the previous new monkey, who, grateful that he's not on the receiving end this time, participates in the beating because all the other monkeys are doing it. However, he has no idea why he's attacking the new monkey.

One by one, all the original monkeys are replaced. Eight new monkeys are now in the room. None of them have ever been sprayed by ice water. None of them attempt to climb the ladder. All of them will
enthusiastically beat up any new monkey who tries, without having any idea why.
Mr. Newbie 03NHmax, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Old 02-07-2006 | 03:04 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by Kruppa
Mr. Newbie 03NHmax, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Billy Madison.
Old 02-07-2006 | 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Progress
Billy Madison.

Oh yeah haha...Found it to be totally appropriate
Old 02-07-2006 | 08:13 PM

That was freaking hilarious!!!
Originally Posted by Progress
Billy Madison.
Old 02-07-2006 | 08:28 PM
dot dot dot ...

Where can I get this done? Seems mAd tyt3 y0!
Old 02-08-2006 | 07:37 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Where can I get this done? Seems mAd tyt3 y0!
Come to my place, I'll hook you up. I got this chip off ebay. It will make your rear wheels spin!
Old 02-08-2006 | 09:38 AM

Can I ask the reasoning for the higher octane when the advance has been done?
Old 02-08-2006 | 10:15 AM

I had mine done a few months ago and i notice a slight improvement in lower the rpm's, as for gas mileage i haven't noticed a change.
Old 02-08-2006 | 10:20 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

does anyone in the chicagoland area know where i can get my timing advanced??...i called about three dealers already and they each told me that they dont advance the timing....
Old 02-08-2006 | 10:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

There should be some kind of post that has a list of some states and where people were able to get there timing advance done.I live in philadelphia and called about 10 dealers and they all would not do it.Does anybody know a place in the philly area.

Quick Reply: Anyone with timing advance notice ...