5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: What should I do with my Grille?
Keep it stock
11.63%
Paint it body color-Pic1
2.33%
Body color moded-Pic2
4.65%
Body color moded-Pic3
81.40%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

00 Front Grille Photoshop **PICS** opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 08:02 PM
wat

Ok heres more progress, the upper part is gonna be pretty tough to cut out on the real grille. The grille is looking pretty rough but its getting there.
Front:

Back:

Originally Posted by GBAUER
It comes off the bumper with 4 screws. You have to take the bumper off first to easily get to it. It takes maybe an hour tops to do.
thats on the 5.5 gen where you can take it off, you cant take off the grille unless you cut if off like i had to. You were correct about having the hamburger emblem by itself in the middle, it is hollow and you would need to use body filler if you did cut that out, and it would make the grille really weak, the grille is already pretty weak on the upper wing and it needs all the suport it can get.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by 2k0to2k3
i have the 2k but before i got the whole 2k3 bump i put the 2k3 emblem, hamburgar bun on my 2k grille and it really made a HUGE difference for the better. i payed 30 something for it at the dealership. of course i like my 2k with the 2k3 bump,hids, and fogs much better but for 30 bucks plus what ever you are going to do to the grille it's a much cheaper route to go. i now have the 2k3 with stock grille and re painted grille tech lower inserts. painted very light silver/grey to match my pearl color and calipers.

also if i cut those inserts out i'd put the grille behind it just in case any debris should fly in there you'd have something there to stop it. although if something that big came through you'd have some serious problems all around.....
You know I'm not too sure if i'd like the 2k3 hamburger embelem on my grille, might look good, but I think it's a little too big, don't mind the one I have now.

And do you mean put grille mesh or something behind the grille for protection? If that's what you mean for when i cut out some of those grille lines, that makes sense, never thought about that, but at the same time I don't think i've ever had something hit my grille big enough to do damage, god forbid. I mean there isn't going to be THAT much of a gap for debri, I bet my only concern would maybe be a bird? but it would have to be perfect to not hit the other grille lines you know? Overall putting some mesh back there probably would be a good idea but I think that it should be alright.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by chopstix2nrz
Ok heres more progress, the upper part is gonna be pretty tough to cut out on the real grille. The grille is looking pretty rough but its getting there.
nice work coming along, it does look a little rough like you said...you think you'll be able to smoothen things out? Also hows the grille feel, has it weakened after all that cutting or does it feel fine? And also from the cutting you've done so far, how do you think it'll be cutting pieces out with the grille on the car, for we all know now you can't take it off to work on it.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:50 PM

Yeah Nice Pictures
Old 03-02-2006, 12:20 PM

Sorry to anyone who has tried to read the thread recently/view pics. For some reason my cardomain vanished, I still have my profile but "my car" was missing from the cardomain "garage." So anyway I uploaded pics and fixed the links in the thread.

Thx for all the opinions so far and voting.

My front lip came wednesday and it has a lovely crack in it, didn't plan on installing it soon, but this will probably be a pain in the ***