5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

So 2 months later and still no car

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 12:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So 2 months later and still no car

I dont know if you guys remember me but about 2 months (maybe more now I've lost track) ago I was planning on bringing my car into the dealer because I was having what I felt was a slipping tranny issue. Pretty common in our cars. Well I go to start the car and there is a terrible clanging and it wants to stall out right away. Anyway long story short I get it towed to the dealership and they find that there was very little oil in the engine (I had the oil changed 2 weeks earlier) so the people who supposedly changed my oil either never did or didnt put enough back in. The dealer still covered it under warranty, because I think it still had 2 quarts left. I wanted a longblock because they refused to tear down the engine to see if metal fragments had migrated into the heads and cam through the oil system. Well they finally agreed to check out the heads and cam and they turned out looking ok. Ok so problem solved right? That was 2 months ago.. They still havent got the engine into the car 2 months later, so the customer service rep at this dealership called infiniti HQ and got me a longblock under warranty. It should be installed and ready to go today or tomorrow.
Its great that this is a brand new engine, but what kinda sucks is that the old engine got fouled up because we test drove several I35s before picking this one, and this was one of those factory freaks... deff much faster than the others..

2 months.... and infiniti is supposed to have one of the highest customer service reputations in the business. Didnt the guy think after 2 or 3 weeks this should have been adressed properly with a longblock?

Ohh well.. I've found a new toy to occupy my inerest anyway. I'm thinkin about building a LS1 RX7 for a weekend racer.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:55 PM

Damn 2 months to swap a motor in. Dealer should be kicked in the azz for that. Do you at least have a loaner car
Old 02-22-2006, 01:00 PM

Nope, was never given a loaner, they never even made one available to me. And even if there was one available they said no way because I'm 21.

Woulda made things hurt a lot less if I had gotten to drive around a G35 coupe for a couple months.

Now I gotta deal with gettin one of the dealerships to work on the tranny. That is going to be a nightmare, before they pulled the old engine they checked the tranny and said it was fine.......its not fine trust me

I heard dealerships wont replace it under warranty unless the thing basically wont go into gear. Under full accelleration the car shifts out of first the revs climb way up and than 2nd gear engages in a very slow manner and the engagement is not solid its weak. The tranny isnt gonna last another 30-50k the way its acting. And my warranty is up in 10k miles so the tranny looks like its gonna crap out like right at the end of warranty.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:03 PM
It's business time.

Seems like red tape slowed things down.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Progress
Seems like red tape slowed things down.

Deffinity.. I meen it really didnt matter to me after a while. I was home on chirstmas break for a month so I wanted to drive my car and I had big plans for it that break. I had just purchased a strut bar, rear sway bar, toyo proxe 4s, a 12" sub box an amp and a wiring kit for it only days before and had the fabricator waiting for me to bring it in to get the custom SFCs done and than this came up. Seriously a day later. I had to stare at all that stuff sitting in my kitchen without a home. So I just wanted it back so I could install the stuff and drive it around before going back to school. Once I went back to school I really didnt care much because when I'm away at school I let my dad use the car (to save gass money over his truck) because I cant afford to maintain it and pay the extra insurance it would cost if the car was in my control an extra 9 months of the year. He puts some miles on it but he takes care of it. I get maintenece done for free because hes using the car and those toyo proxes are from him because he put about 20k on the potenzas and had a significant role in wearing them out. And when I get out of college next year the car will be mine full time. Its not too bad of a deal I think.

But if this were anyone else and this was the car they relied on to get them to work... I could see this type of thing being a potential law suit for lost wages.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:27 PM

After they install all your aftermarket stuff you asked them to install and you get your car back, I would file a complaint with corporate..You'll probably receive a refund for any charges incurred.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgenmaxima
After they install all your aftermarket stuff you asked them to install and you get your car back, I would file a complaint with corporate..You'll probably receive a refund for any charges incurred.
I was gonna install all the aftermarket stuff myself. I dont think they would install it and i really woulent want them to. I just want to get my car away from that dealership
Old 02-23-2006, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by sciff5
I heard dealerships wont replace it under warranty unless the thing basically wont go into gear. Under full accelleration the car shifts out of first the revs climb way up and than 2nd gear engages in a very slow manner and the engagement is not solid its weak. The tranny isnt gonna last another 30-50k the way its acting. And my warranty is up in 10k miles so the tranny looks like its gonna crap out like right at the end of warranty.
No offense, but I think the issue (based on your own words) is that stock, the Max doesn't fulfill your racing needs.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:11 AM

Even while I can't wait to get a stick, I stand by the fact that Nissan's automatic transmissions are very good. My '96 has 222,000 miles, and my dad's '02 has 97,000 miles. Both have original transmissions that have never slipped. If you change your ATF regularly and don't do stupid **** like neutral drops, your transmission will last you 200,000+ miles.