5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Comments on this ODB-II scanner? Good/Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006 | 07:39 PM

Who cares if it doesnt support 2001's?
Old 02-28-2006 | 08:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Gimme that will probably have the same problem. Apparently Nissan switched there ECU's in late 99-early 00 and programmed it to work with the consult II which they had vetronix build from the ground up specifically for use with Nissans.
The problem is that the ecu itself has a problem that will not allow it to hook up with universal non-dealer specific ISO scantools.. I personally have used the mastertech on mine without any problems, but that was also built by vetronix. I also had no problem with the snap-on, though I'm not sure who built the program for them..
There was one that could not connect. I didn't think much of it at the time. The name slips my mind right now..
I'm curious if anyone here has successfully gone into a dealer and received the ECU update for free after 3/36??
One would think they would be required to make it complaint to all generic ISO scan tools, since Federal laws have required them to do so since 96..I just don't know how long a "recall" is good for. I suppose a simple call to a dealer and we could find out.
Old 02-28-2006 | 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgenmaxima
Gimme that will probably have the same problem. Apparently Nissan switched there ECU's in late 99-early 00 and programmed it to work with the consult II which they had vetronix build from the ground up specifically for use with Nissans.
The problem is that the ecu itself has a problem that will not allow it to hook up with universal non-dealer specific ISO scantools...
OK, I got you... That sucks... Let me see if I can find some info in the OBD forums...
Old 02-28-2006 | 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by GimmeTorq
OK, I got you... That sucks... Let me see if I can find some info in the OBD forums...
That's where I got my info from. They are working on a fix to allow it to connect even without the update.
The brand that wouldn't work is the otc Genisys.
BTW: I will find out for sure tomorrow if that recall can be done free of charge or not.
Old 02-28-2006 | 09:06 PM

That's where I got my info from. They are working on a fix to allow it to connect even without the update.
The brand that wouldn't work is the otc Genisys.
BTW: I will find out for sure tomorrow if that recall can be done free of charge or not.
This is odd... I would think the EPA would be all over thi$$$$... I found compliance violations against Toyota, Honda and Jaguar... Not Nissan...

http://www.epa.gov/Compliance/resour...obd/index.html

No recalls regarding OBD compliance either...

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/recall.htm

Although it can be OBD compliant, just not compliant with one of the communication protocols, in which case the EPA may not care... You may think it would still matter for their Clean Air Act inspections done by hooking up to the OBD port of the vehicle... Don't know... Keep us posted...
Old 02-28-2006 | 09:40 PM

Very interesting...
Partial quote
"But with the updated PCM we never see the issue ever. They fined Nissan (a)nd there isn't a single Nissan employee in those years that doesn't remember this one. HUGE fine. Toyota has them beat - 2 billion dollars."
Also,
"2000 and 2001 Maxima and Altimas are not OBDII compliant on the first few versions of the PCM.
They later did a recall and the PCM has new calibrations that fix that.
Make sure you have the latest CAL--that's what its called."

Thanks for correcting me, (I hate giving false info) I think you may be onto something when you say it just may not be compatible with all ISO protocalls.
(I'm also going to assume this update is automatically done when updating ecu/tcm information.

These are quotes from a reputable company, so I took it as truth. I can't seem to find anything online, either..

Though most companies have fixed this problem on the scantool end, it' still good to know that the problem exists.

I've been told they are working on providing an update for the autoenginuity that has Consult II capabilities coming out some time this fall. The additional charge is estimated to cost $150 more...
Sorry guys, but for the time being I'm going to have to remove my name as well...

1.Maxima-Ness
2. SilverX
3.Callkiss
Old 04-16-2006 | 10:01 PM

I just received an e-mail from autoenginuity. They are beta testing and expect release date of the new software to be April 5th.
Here are the cliffs of our conversation.

ME: Does the pcm still need to be recalibrated on certain 2000 Maxima models or will this new version accept all of the nissan OBDII systems.
HIM: This is only something with generic oBDII. It has nothing to do with factory coverage.

ME: Understandably, it's very unlikely that this scantool has all the features of a very expensive scantool, such as the vetronix mastertech. I'm wondering if scantool gives all of the monitor's status.. Specifically, I'm wondering if it tells if the following monitors show a completed or not completed status for all obd-II vehicles? If not, does it tell each of the monitor's status for Nissans?
Following Monitors I am inquiring about.. Fuel system, AIR, EVAP, Misfire, EGR, Oxygen sensor, Cat Conv, contnuous, and any others I may have left out.
HIM: We have always supported the full oBDII speicifcation with our basic kit. This uspport has existed since 1.0.

ME: Also I am assuming this gives all p0 codes for all vehicles and all nissan p1 codes as well.
HIM: Yes, since 1.0

ME: Does this give stored codes and does this have freeze frame info, from when the po or p1 code was set. Either way I'm sold, however I'm still personally curious if this gives "pending codes". I'm sure you're famalier with the term...In order for a certain code to set it must have the same error occur 2 or 3 times under the same conditions.. I'm curious if it fails 1 out of 3 times while the scantool is hooked up if the scantool will show the "pending" error.
HIM: Yes, since 1.0.

ME: Does this "nissan specific" version cover ANY of the other manufacturers specific codes (p1) or is that an additional fee per manufacturer?
HIM: The enhanced Nissan has nothing to do with PCode per se. It does pull codes from systems that don't exist on the OBDII channels. But the point is to access sensors on systems that you can't see. Or system tests like Adjust Timing

The next e-mail
ME: Does this "nissan specific" version cover ANY of the other manufacturers specific codes (p1) or is that an additional fee per manufacturer?
HIM: The enhanced Nissan has nothing to do with PCode per se. It does pull codes from systems that don't exist on the OBDII channels. But the point is to access sensors on systems that you can't see. Or system tests like Adjust Timing.

Next e-mail
ME: So you can do a system test to adjust timing. My question is this only a diag output option or if it's adjusted can we make it stick???
..Awaiting a response

Also the price still stands $180 for each tool if we get 10 or more... The nissan enhanced version is $100 more.
Maxima-Ness, SilverX, Callkiss if you are still online and around the forum please let me know. Any other questions anyone wants answered please let me know. If anyone wants on the group buy just add your name.
Old 04-16-2006 | 10:08 PM

Im still around and interested. Whats the diff with the Nissan specific? Sorry if I dont get the tech jargon, but what makes it better to be 100 bucks more?
Old 04-16-2006 | 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima-Ness
Im still around and interested. Whats the diff with the Nissan specific? Sorry if I dont get the tech jargon, but what makes it better to be 100 bucks more?

Good Question!! What is the difference?
Old 04-17-2006 | 04:06 AM

1.5thgenmaxima
2.Maxima-Ness
3. SilverX
5.Callkiss
6. Jedi2002
Old 04-17-2006 | 05:08 AM

Guys if this is worth buying I would really like to have this before May 6th for the MEGA MEET. So lets work some magic please.
Old 04-17-2006 | 06:06 AM

1.5thgenmaxima
2.Maxima-Ness
3. SilverX
5.Callkiss
6. Jedi2002
7. MaxDom03

I may have missed it, but what exactly do you get for the $100 more?

And just to verify this WILL NOT let you advance timing correct? The product info on the webpage is misleading. But I assume thats for other cars.
Old 04-17-2006 | 08:27 AM

this weekend my neighbor used pocketlogger software on his palm pda to read/clear my codes while doing evap valve replacement. he was reading all kinds of data from my car. seems to do everything this software does. have you guys checked into this product? may be a little cheaper. he uses pocketlogger to tune a/f ratios and timing and such on his evo8 with a wideband sensor and safc.
Old 04-17-2006 | 09:53 AM

ok Here's the final response.
ME: Ok, just to clarify so I can put the correct info out. Does this adjust or just show the current timing? If so does it only adjust while the tool is hooked up or will it store.

HIM: Yes, the enhanced interface will support factory-level coverage for your vehcile. It will support: BCM, ABS, Airbags, A/T, and Engine. Your vehicle might not supprot those systems--but we do. Support mena s trouble code retrieval, clearing, bi-directional controls, work support (the ability to change parameters on your vehicle), and system sensors not available with OBDII.

The base kit without the enhanced Nissan willl ONLY do generic OBDII.

Basically everything he said in that last sentence..
Basic ODB-II law requires that all information EMISSION related be available thru the ODB-II protocol. (IIRC, ISO for our vehicles).
This gives a limited amount of information which is still 1 million times better than just a basic code. (LTFT, STFT, p0 and some p1 codes etc)
The Enhanced version has 100% of the Nissan "Consult II" capabilities. As He stated above. One example of this is lets say you have an egr solenoid code. With this enhanced version it's more than likely that you can physically activate the egr solenoid thru the ecu using your scantool. This way you can see if it's the solenoid itself or the wiring to/from the solenoid/pcm. That's not a "generic" function.

ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ACCORDING TO HIM THIS DOES IN FACT CHANGE YOUR TIMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NO MORE HAVING TO GO TO THE DEALER TO GET IT DONE!!!!
Old 04-17-2006 | 10:04 AM

ok Here's the final response.
ME: Ok, just to clarify so I can put the correct info out. Does this adjust or just show the current timing? If so does it only adjust while the tool is hooked up or will it store.

HIM: Yes, the enhanced interface will support factory-level coverage for your vehcile. It will support: BCM, ABS, Airbags, A/T, and Engine. Your vehicle might not supprot those systems--but we do. Support mena s trouble code retrieval, clearing, bi-directional controls, work support (the ability to change parameters on your vehicle), and system sensors not available with OBDII.

The base kit without the enhanced Nissan willl ONLY do generic OBDII.

Basically everything he said in that last sentence..
Basic ODB-II law requires that all information EMISSION related be available thru the ODB-II protocol. (IIRC, ISO for our vehicles).
This gives a limited amount of information which is still 1 million times better than just a basic code. (LTFT, STFT, p0 and some p1 codes etc)
The Enhanced version has 100% of the Nissan "Consult II" capabilities. As He stated above. One example of this is lets say you have an egr solenoid code. With this enhanced version it's more than likely that you can physically activate the egr solenoid thru the ecu using your scantool. This way you can see if it's the solenoid itself or the wiring to/from the solenoid/pcm. That's not a "generic" function.

I am definetly interested. Lets get those last spots filled!
Old 04-17-2006 | 11:39 AM

Thats one hell of an added bonus there!

so if we can get enough people to get the updated version, with the Nissan specific update, it will be $280, right?
Old 04-17-2006 | 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by chr0nos
this weekend my neighbor used pocketlogger software on his palm pda to read/clear my codes while doing evap valve replacement. he was reading all kinds of data from my car. seems to do everything this software does. have you guys checked into this product? may be a little cheaper. he uses pocketlogger to tune a/f ratios and timing and such on his evo8 with a wideband sensor and safc.

now your asking people to go buy a Palm!
Old 04-17-2006 | 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by callkiss
now your asking people to go buy a Palm!

I was planning on using my Palm with this. figured it owuld be easier than lugging my laptop around with me.
Old 04-17-2006 | 02:26 PM

I was planning on using my Palm with this. figured it owuld be easier than lugging my laptop around with me.

o i understand, just saying that not all of us have Palms.
Old 04-17-2006 | 03:08 PM

Guys if this is worth buying I would really like to have this before May 6th for the MEGA MEET. So lets work some magic please.
I appologize. I put April 5th. I meant to say May 5th.
Quoting him "The enhanced support is an extra 100 USD. It will go on sale May 5th."
My mistake.
May 5th is the "on sale" date....As many people know when beta testing release dates are often pushed back. It sounds pretty much set in stone, but remember dates can always change.
I just e-mailed him to ask if may 5th was the on sale date for the windows based program or all OS versions.
Old 04-17-2006 | 03:22 PM

Also. Since we have no confirmation that SilverX is still interested I have updated the list to delete his name. He can add it back on if he would like.

1.5thgenmaxima
2.Maxima-Ness
3. Callkiss
4.Jedi2002
5.MaxDom03
Old 04-17-2006 | 03:50 PM

Bad news for you palm guys.

Quote from him "We will not have enhanced Nissan on the Palm. Nor will bMW nor Hyundai/Kia. The Palm operating system does not support adddressing memory larger then 8MB and the tables now are 10MB alone. The PC and Pocket PC will work only. Palm will only have GM/Ford/Toy and generic support."

Just to reilleriate. This will suppossadly do everything a generic scantool will do. Like a $3000.00 mastertech or tech2 and also do everything a $6500 Consult II will do. Unfortunately you have to have your own laptop or other computer.
Bluetooth is also available for $130.00 more so if you want BT make sure to add it next to your name on the group list. And again shipping to canada is an additional $10.00
Old 04-17-2006 | 08:37 PM

Bad news for you palm guys.

Quote from him "We will not have enhanced Nissan on the Palm. Nor will bMW nor Hyundai/Kia. The Palm operating system does not support adddressing memory larger then 8MB and the tables now are 10MB alone. The PC and Pocket PC will work only. Palm will only have GM/Ford/Toy and generic support."

Just to reilleriate. This will suppossadly do everything a generic scantool will do. Like a $3000.00 mastertech or tech2 and also do everything a $6500 Consult II will do. Unfortunately you have to have your own laptop or other computer.
Bluetooth is also available for $130.00 more so if you want BT make sure to add it next to your name on the group list. And again shipping to canada is an additional $10.00
Okay, so say I was just using the word Palm as a general refrence. My pda is actually a HP. Wonder if it will still work....
Old 04-18-2006 | 09:12 AM

Okay, so say I was just using the word Palm as a general refrence. My pda is actually a HP. Wonder if it will still work....
Requirements are as follows.
Windows Pocket PC/Mobile 2002, 2003/2003SE, and 2005 operating systems

10 MB of free ROM space

The required serial sync cable is NOT provided. Please contact your Pocket PC vendor for the correct serial sync cable. HP 19xx series do not support a full serial interface as required, and will not work.

What model # PDA will you be using? I will contact him and find out exactly what you need, if anything,
Old 04-18-2006 | 11:44 AM

I'd be interested in the enhanced Nissan version. May 5th works fine for me, I'll have extra $ then.

1.5thgenmaxima
2.Maxima-Ness
3.Callkiss
4.Jedi2002
5.MaxDom03
6.Jay_Alix
Old 04-18-2006 | 01:55 PM

Requirements are as follows.
Windows Pocket PC/Mobile 2002, 2003/2003SE, and 2005 operating systems

10 MB of free ROM space

The required serial sync cable is NOT provided. Please contact your Pocket PC vendor for the correct serial sync cable. HP 19xx series do not support a full serial interface as required, and will not work.

What model # PDA will you be using? I will contact him and find out exactly what you need, if anything,
actually its a Compaq iPAQ H3800.
Old 04-18-2006 | 04:45 PM

actually its a Compaq iPAQ H3800.
Sorry, I know that your one of the first ones to sign up for this butit won't work...

ME: Will the enhanced version work on a "Compaq iPAQ H3800". It's a PDA.
HIM: No, we don't support that PDA even with our generic. It doesn't have Windows 2002 or later. It has CE 3.0--not the same.

Requirements for the PC based program are Windows 98SE / ME / NT / 2000 / XP operating system, 12 Mb of free drive space, CD-ROM or DVD-ROM, 32 Mb of memory, USB port
Old 04-18-2006 | 08:30 PM

Also for a listing of EVERYTHING the enhanced version will do scroll down to nissan/infiniti and click on the "nissan-specific sensors and commands. The real potential of this scanner can be found here. http://www.autoenginuity.com/products-software.html
Old 04-18-2006 | 08:31 PM

wow, i wonder if I can change the OS on my pda....
Old 04-18-2006 | 08:34 PM

The question is if you do that will you still have enough free rom left over to run the program??. I will ask him tomorrow if you change your OS if it will be compatible.
Old 04-18-2006 | 09:41 PM
I'm needing a caw

Is this particular one special? Or is it just the base + Nissan specific unit that will be released shortly? Thanks. Great find on this.
Old 04-18-2006 | 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Is this particular one special? Or is it just the base + Nissan specific unit that will be released shortly? Thanks. Great find on this.

From what I understand, there were some issues with the previous model. They fixed the problems and will release the new model on the 5th of May. So, it will be the "base" model, but for an extra $100 you get the Nissan specific model. Still, its a fraction of the cost of the three grand ones and does all the same stuff!
Old 04-18-2006 | 11:27 PM
I'm needing a caw

$180 = base + $100 for Nissan "consult II" features. Not too bad
Old 04-18-2006 | 11:31 PM

$180 = base + $100 for Nissan "consult II" features. Not too bad

it would actually be $180 + $100 = $280.
Old 04-19-2006 | 08:29 AM

As you may be aware of these laptop scan tools are sold as odbII complaint. Federal law states that a generic tool such a a tech2 or mastertech (a $3500scan tool) must be able to retreive all info emissions related only. The original price of $180 on the group deal was for the generic scan tool which covers all interfaces of the generic odbII. (ISO, CAN, ETC). This enhanced version gives access to everything that the ecu/pcm reads and everything that the consultII (a $6500 scantool which is nissan specific ONLY) can do this will do as well. (Basically it's a generic for every make and model which gives ltft, stft, o2, and emission related codes, etc,etc) This "OEM enhanced" version will also give codes which a regular scan tool can't see or retreive.
Old 04-19-2006 | 10:37 AM
RR5

Wow I like the looks of this but was really hoping it would work on the Palm Treo 650. I am interested in seeing what results are seen from those who buy this tool.
Old 04-19-2006 | 06:36 PM
VQ Wizard

The Consult II has the ability to upload new software to the ECU, ask them if their tool will also have that ability. Also, is it possible to get enhanced abilities for more than one auto maker at a time? Perhaps Nissan and BMW in one unit?
Old 04-19-2006 | 09:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

so let me get this straight, its 280 for a program that will work like the Consult II and have all the abilities that they have at the nissan dealership? Will this also let us program the key option in the ecm?
Old 04-19-2006 | 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
The Consult II has the ability to upload new software to the ECU, ask them if their tool will also have that ability.
No, unfortunately they will not have the pcm updates available.

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
Also, is it possible to get enhanced abilities for more than one auto maker at a time? Perhaps Nissan and BMW in one unit?
I'm sure you can. I can e-mail and ask how much extra the BMW enhanced version will cost. (I'm guessing since nissan is $100 that BMW enhanced will also be an additional $100 as well. However BMW enhanced will not be available until June, so that could be something you purchased seperately in the future.)
Old 04-19-2006 | 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Gennady7
so let me get this straight, its 280 for a program that will work like the Consult II and have all the abilities that they have at the nissan dealership? Will this also let us program the key option in the ecm?
I didn't think to ask about the immobolizer. I will e-mail him and get back to you.

Quick Reply: Comments on this ODB-II scanner? Good/Bad?