5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Comments on this ODB-II scanner? Good/Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006 | 03:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 5thgenmaxima
Paypal is also his preferred option. He says if someone jips him that it's paypals problem not his, so that's the way he wants it done. (His website is even set-up for use with paypal.)....Price including shipping will be $280. ($290 if any of you are Canadian.)

Just want to verify that everyone is still here...

1.5thgenmaxima ---Still here.
2.Maxima-Ness
3.Callkiss
4.Jedi2002
5.MaxDom03
6.Jay_Alix
7.pedxing
8. Jeff92se
9. Hesham1
10.kenji

I am still here but I need some one to talk more about the uprev ODBII tool. And what all are we getting in this package for $280.00. This is not just software right? We are getting the Interface adapters for the Laptop alone with the software. Basically everything we need to properly Read the Car's Computer right?
Old 05-02-2006 | 04:52 AM

I'm still in.
Old 05-02-2006 | 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by callkiss
I am still here but I need some one to talk more about the uprev ODBII tool. And what all are we getting in this package for $280.00. This is not just software right? We are getting the Interface adapters for the Laptop alone with the software. Basically everything we need to properly Read the Car's Computer right?
You get the obd-II plug ---Serial or USB connection - your choice.
This plugs from your obd-II into your laptop or whatever your using.
95-99 guys require an additional adaptor that's $50 more. Not-applicaple to us 5th gen guys.
The software that you're getting is for nissan enhanced and generic obd-II for all manufacturers.

So guys do we need to go back to the drawing board about this? This does look good!
(referring to up-rev)

Go to page 3. I asked this..

ME "One last question from another potential buyer

"this thing looks like it will match the UpRev Cipher for about 1/3 the price. I was thinking of going to the Auterra but this one looks great.

Can you ask if the Nissan option covers the early Type 1 G35 sedans? Thanks"
His answer

Originally Posted by Autoenguinity
We will offer more Nissan then UpRev on our first run. Compare coverage already and you’ll see. Our generic is far far superior to both tools. Yes this will include the Infiniti support; including CAN......
... I sat down with Nissan today for an extended period going over all our final implementation questions. We will be delivering far more features then any professional tool have. There is a lot of features in the spec. that people are not exploiting like 20x data rates etc. Since we are officially licensed with Nissan we have access to Japan on these questions. We will e offering you guys a chance at probably one of the most extensive Nissan scan tools to hit the after market. I can say that because I already know the actual licensees and Auterra is only generic OBDII and UpRev is not licensed. But aside from the “little guys”, our real competitors have always been SnapOn, Bosch/SPX, and OTC. There Nissan coverage is behind us already because we were actually in negotiations to do one of theirs.

Oh, they will NOT be providing anybody with NATS coverage. We can pull codes from NATS and that’s all we’ll ever have.
Also uprev costs more, does uprev even cover all protocols???

On another note: I asked him since this was still new if it had any updates would we be provided those free of charge. He said there are no glitches and shouldn't be any. He said if it does ever get updated that we will all be provided 12 months of software updates (generic and nissan enhanced) free of charge.
Old 05-02-2006 | 11:40 AM

I'm still in. Questions for autoenginuity: Will the 95-99 suffer from any lack of options that the 00+ have? What exactly is the adapter that is required? Is there any reason this wouldn't work with an HTC MDA?
Old 05-02-2006 | 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by kenji
I'm still in. Questions for autoenginuity: Will the 95-99 suffer from any lack of options that the 00+ have? What exactly is the adapter that is required? Is there any reason this wouldn't work with an HTC MDA?
I will e-mail and ask him the specifics. I'm sure you already knew this, but this is what I know right now.

Quote from him

"First couple of changes are coming out:. 96-99 will require a piece of hardware will sell separately. We tried to do it with our connectors but we can’t after two weeks we can’t do it. They hold a pin at 12V then drop to 5V which will collide with OBD2 strategies. Hence, Nissan requiring a 14pin interface for those vehicles. So the coverage is 2000-2006 for 99.95 USD. Lastly the hard is 50 USD and we are now getting it in place. It shouldn’t affect you guys much from what I understand. "

I'm assuming the hardware is an adaptor that convers your obd_ii plug into a 14pin that puts 12v to the pin that keeps dropping to 5v, but will ask.
Old 05-02-2006 | 05:03 PM

He just e-mailed me about a few changes, directing me to his website. Hopefully he answers me tonight. Just hold off for a few.
Old 05-02-2006 | 05:22 PM

Nice. Thanks by the way for effectively spearheading this. I want to be sure as I'm paying 50 dollars more than everyone else.
Old 05-02-2006 | 05:23 PM

There's no reason for incompatibility with JWT/Technosquare upgrades, right?
Old 05-02-2006 | 05:51 PM

There's no reason for incompatibility with JWT/Technosquare upgrades, right?
You're talking about rom editing right?? There SHOULD be no issues, as soon as he e-mails me back about my four other questions I will ask him this one. His last e-mail wasn't to satisfying, so I'm awaiting a response. I asked pretty straight forward questions and in a manner which would be hard to give a vague reply. Pretty cut and dry,.. so we'll see..... Cliffs to come in the hopefully near future.
Old 05-02-2006 | 06:12 PM

Ok I got the reply I was looking for:

My e-mail to him.
Originally Posted by quoteofemailsenttohim
Jay another question

"Questions for autoenginuity: Will the 95-99 suffer from any lack of options that the 00+ have? What exactly is the adapter that is required? Is there any reason this wouldn't work with an HTC MDA?"
His reply...
95-99 won’t work at all. We are designing a special piece of hardware required for their special DDL1 interface. It will cost between 50-100 USD extra.

Please check the webpage. It shows the coverage is 00+. Also, make sure your guys know that the Ignition Timing and RPM Idle Adjustments start in ‘03+. We post that it’s 03+ but there is a couple 02s. www.uprev.com has the matrix on their site
I'm not sure of why he told me why uprev has the Matrix?

My reply

Originally Posted by quoteofemailsenttohim
95-99 won’t work at all. We are designing a special piece of hardware required for their special DDL1 interface. It will cost between 50-100 USD extra.

Please check the webpage. It shows the coverage is 00+. Also, make sure your guys know that the Ignition Timing and RPM Idle Adjustments start in ‘03+. We post that it’s 03+ but there is a couple 02s. www.uprev.com has the matrix on their site."

Question 1.)The adaptor isn't yet availiable for 95-99?? I assumed per your e-mail on april 19th that you where getting it in place and that it would cost an extra $50.. If it's not available do you expect it to be availiable shortly?

Question 2.) I'm a bit disappointed that it doesn't change timnig on 00's. It must have just recently been updated on your site that it covered 03's and up, I changed mine to 17 and was planning on changing it back, but I digress. Will you be updating your software in the future to change timing on 2000's and 2001 nissans??

Question 3.) This has all the functions of the uprev Matrix correct?

Question 4.) Will this work on the HTC MDA??
His reply
Question 1.)The adaptor isn't yet availiable for 95-99?? I assumed per your e-mail on april 19th that you where getting it in place and that it would cost an extra $50.. If it's not available do you expect it to be availiable shortly?

>> Probably around the Aug release.

Question 2.) I'm a bit disappointed that it doesn't change timnig on 00's. It must have just recently been updated on your site that it covered 03's and up, I changed mine to 17 and was planning on changing it back, but I digress. Will you be updating your software in the future to change timing on 2000's and 2001 nissans??

>> There is no support on those vehicles for this. Doesn’t exist. We only added what is possible. This is exactly what UpRev posted on there site. We have more sensor coverage but I can’t give Work Support where none exists on the vehicle.

Question 3.) This has all the functions of the uprev Matrix correct?

>> We have more

Question 4.) Will this work on the HTC MDA??

??
I will look up and show him what the htc mda is and ask him if it will work with the jwt/technosquare updates as well.

I will also look at the matrix options and compare each and every option to what autoenguinity has and see what the difference is. Won't be tonight, maybe in a few days.

EDIT: to say the least I'm disappointed that this will not change timing on all 5th gens. The part that says +03 on his webpage is relatively new, and was not disclosed to me until just now. So I appologize for that, anyhow this is hopefully just a small set back. More so for you 4th gen guys.
Old 05-02-2006 | 07:56 PM

uhh. hmm. Now I start to wonder if 330-380 dollars is getting a bit too steep.. it's still a great deal, but it was looking better at 280.
Old 05-02-2006 | 08:14 PM

yea he originally said it would be $50 and said they where in the process of developing it I don't think he realized that there where any 4th geners here.

I don't work for him, but I would think $100 would def be on the very high side.
Gotta wait til aug though

EDIT: Again ME
His reply

>> There is no support on those vehicles for this. Doesn’t exist. We only added what is possible. This is exactly what UpRev posted on there site. We have more sensor coverage but I can’t give Work Support where none exists on the vehicle.

I know the consult II does advance timing on 00+, I kind of wonder why his and uprevs doesn't
Old 05-03-2006 | 10:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm still here also.

BTW, timing advance only works on 03+? I didn't think there was a difference between 02 and 03 ECUs. 01-02 yeah, won't hold the advance instruction, but I thought it should work on 02 also. Anyone have any more info?
Old 05-03-2006 | 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by pedxing
I'm still here also.

BTW, timing advance only works on 03+? I didn't think there was a difference between 02 and 03 ECUs. 01-02 yeah, won't hold the advance instruction, but I thought it should work on 02 also. Anyone have any more info?
He said it will work on some 02's and 03+. I'm not sure why only some, I'll e-mail and ask him if he knows which ones.
Old 05-05-2006 | 02:48 AM

Ok so how is this done? We just go to the website and order individually? Or what?

How will he know who we are?
Old 05-05-2006 | 06:37 AM

Ok so how is this done? We just go to the website and order individually? Or what?

How will he know who we are?
Go to post #144 for all the info you should need.

BTW: Here's the answer to his questions on letting the timing stick.

1.) "BTW, timing advance only works on 03+? I didn't think there was a difference between 02 and 03 ECUs. 01-02 yeah, won't hold the advance instruction, but I thought it should work on 02 also. Anyone have any more info?"
HIM:::: Look at UpRevs list. We will be compiling a ismiliar list too. Until its complete use that one.

2.) "There's no reason for incompatibility with JWT/Technosquare upgrades, right?"

Him::: Should work.

3.)Do you know if your system will work on the HTC MDA??

This one http://cgi.ebay.com/T-Mobile-MDA-HTC...QQcmdZViewItem

HIM:::: I have no idea. Can’t say.
Old 05-05-2006 | 07:58 AM

So I'd basically be paying for something I can't use at all until august.
Old 05-05-2006 | 03:51 PM
I'm needing a caw

Can I have a post that details how we are going to order. The site doesn't make any provision for our GD. I guess we need to call but I want to pay via PP. would be nice to do it all online.
Old 05-05-2006 | 06:35 PM
VQ Wizard

The later model '02 ECU should be identical to the '03 ECU. There should be no reason why timing advance wouldn't work. Timing advance can also be done on 2k1s as well with a Consult II and it holds just fine.
Old 05-05-2006 | 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Can I have a post that details how we are going to order. The site doesn't make any provision for our GD. I guess we need to call but I want to pay via PP. would be nice to do it all online.
Release date will be on Monday May 8th...

1.)His preferred paymeny is paypal, but if you don't have an account he will take money orders or check.
His paypal address is sales@autoenginuity.com
2.)Payment can be made now
DON'T FORGET IN THE COMMENTS SECTION OF PAYPAL TO WRITE "GROUP BUY-MAXIMA.ORG"
3.)Payment MUST be received by may 14th, NO LATER. IF PAYMENT IS POSTMARKED MAY 13TH AND HE DOESN'T RECEIVE IT UNTIL THE 16TH HE WILL SEND THE CHECK/MONEY ORDER BACK, PAYMENT RECEIVED BY THE 14th, NO EXCEPTIONS.
4.)If he has your payment; product will ship on may 8th.
5.)Payment is $280 ($290 if you live in canada). Make sure you tell him which version you want and if you want a USB or Serial connection.

Also......
There is a 7 day hold on BOTH MONEY ORDERS AND CHECKS. ONLY EXCEPTION IS A US POSTAL SERVICE MONEY ORDER.

--- BT will not support USB Only on serial version. SO IF YOU WANT OR ARE THINKING ABOUT ADDING BT EITHER NOW OR IN THE FUTURE MAKE CERTAIN TO BUY THE SERIAL CONNECTION. ALSO IF YOU WANT BT NOW ADD $130 TO YOUR TOTAL AND MAKE SURE YOU LET HIM KNOW WHY IN THE COMMENTS SECTION.

So I'd basically be paying for something I can't use at all until august.
Sorry, but yea pretty much your fourth gen guys have to wait. There may be more group deals in the future, especially if he decides to sponsor this site. If you don't want in the GD, I'm sure he will understand.
Old 05-06-2006 | 08:00 AM

Im in,
payment sent
Old 05-06-2006 | 06:45 PM

yeah, sorry. I just can't justify spending this money now to wait 2 months for it. I gotta pull out.
Old 05-08-2006 | 03:29 AM

Just sent my payment. I understand what Jeff is saying, I filled it out at the site and there's no way to say that it is for the group buy or change the price.
I just copied the cart contents to a generic "send funds" transaction and filled in the other stuff.
Old 05-08-2006 | 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jay_Alix
Just sent my payment. I understand what Jeff is saying, I filled it out at the site and there's no way to say that it is for the group buy or change the price.
I just copied the cart contents to a generic "send funds" transaction and filled in the other stuff.
Go to the bottom of page 6. If shows how to send payment. Paypal is his preferred payment, which means during payment go to ww.paypal.com and folow instructions on post #180. Last post 1 page back. If your payment was under the $280 give him a call and see how he wants you to pay the rest.
Old 05-08-2006 | 10:52 AM

Canadian Orders Shipping Price Correction

For thoes placing their order directly through paypal for this deal from Canada.

I just got off the phone confirming my order. The total amount I was told to send was $300.90USD which includes USPS International shipping charges.

Quoting the Lady I spoke to on the phone. "The $290 was the price including Domestic shipping in the US". I had to send an extra 10.90 to cover shipping to Canada.
Old 05-08-2006 | 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgenmaxima
Go to the bottom of page 6. If shows how to send payment. Paypal is his preferred payment, which means during payment go to ww.paypal.com and folow instructions on post #180. Last post 1 page back. If your payment was under the $280 give him a call and see how he wants you to pay the rest.
that's what I did... I just meant that I copied the info for exactly what I wanted: PC USB Scanner, Nissan Enhanced upgrade from the Paypal cart if you go to their site, into my Paypal account via paypal.com, using the "send funds" option.

And thanks for going through all the trouble to ask all the questions and set this up for us. It is appreciated.
Old 05-08-2006 | 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chris.s
For thoes placing their order directly through paypal for this deal from Canada.

I just got off the phone confirming my order. The total amount I was told to send was $300.90USD which includes USPS International shipping charges.

Quoting the Lady I spoke to on the phone. "The $290 was the price including Domestic shipping in the US". I had to send an extra 10.90 to cover shipping to Canada.
You need to talk to Jay. He's the one who set this up. It's not $290, it's $280 + $10.00 for Canadian Buyers. She is just the secretary and isn't to famalier with the group buy.
Our group buy is like this....
Normal price $249.99 + 100 enhanced + 14.00 shipping = $363.99 + 10.90 Canadian=374.89
Group Buy price is $180 SHIPPED + 100 enhanced = $280. + $10 if Canadian = $290.00

If you need me to I can e-mail him a reminder of our conversation, I don't think anyone else is having a problem getting it for the $280..... The only dispute should be if shipping to Canada is an additional $10 or $10.90...Our group buy price IS $280 shipped...
Old 05-09-2006 | 05:25 PM

Hey Chris. I contacted Jay earlier this morning because there has been alot of confussion between him and I. We have cleared up ALOT of the misconfussion and everything seems to be back on the right track. This has been an ordeal with lots of e-mails going back and forth for what is a relatively low amount of sales. He told me that being customer-oriented is his #1 goal and their company would eat the cost. So again It's $280 domesticly and an additional $10.00 to Canada. Elsewhere in the world needs to ask for shipping quotes.
He appologized for the mis-understanding and was going to send the additional $10.00 back to you.
Old 05-10-2006 | 03:39 PM

Cool, Thanks for following up with him.

To be honest, I didnt really mind the extra 10$ cause this is still a great deal. But thats great that he is keeping up to the original price.
Im still waiting for a tracking number, but the secretary I spoke to yesterday assured me that it was shipping last night. I cant wait to play with this!

Old 05-11-2006 | 06:33 PM

I just got this

I wish I would have spotted this thread earlier...I just bought this(laptop and PDA combo). It took a while for me to get the software to connect to my 96 maxima. Jay from autoenginuity was very helpful. He sent me an updated version of the laptop program...then it worked. I'm still trying to get my PDA version to work.

Now I just need to learn how to use all the features/function. Looks cool so far! I was able to pull my codes, and run some graphs.

Ed
Old 05-11-2006 | 11:38 PM
I'm needing a caw

$ just sent. PC w/ USB. Can't wait! I want to try this out and see how it compares to the much more expensive UPrev.
Old 05-12-2006 | 03:24 AM

So 5thgenmaxima which did u get Serial or USB?

Payment sent!
Old 05-12-2006 | 09:18 AM
I'm needing a caw

I got my tracking information already
Old 05-12-2006 | 04:03 PM

USB, pc version

He asked me to give an update
Originally Posted by autoenguinity
Some of the vehicle tables did NOT get put in the first PC release. We made a new install and posted it on the web. It will cover those missing tables. The version is the same because it’s actually just an installation issue. The corrected build is May 11th.

BTW I will driving the VividRacing car for the GTLive at the GrandAM. It’s on ESPN2 and SpeedVision soon. It’s a Nissan 240SX with a turbo putting down about 400WHP. We have all sorts of issues since this car came out of a wreck from another driver. We may not be competitive this event, but Nizmo will be represented.
I'm also thinking about dragging my desktop out to the garage tonight. I'm really interested in checking my fuel trims and 02's because my fuel mileage sucks. Then again maybe it's my driving..
Old 05-12-2006 | 04:10 PM
I'm needing a caw

Does this mean I have to upload an update? Or did I order so late that it will already be on there?

You got yours already? Did you try to mess with the BCM functions yet?

Again, if we are running short on the 10, I posted that I'm getting this unit on the G forums. I didn't mention price or how to get it though. Mainly I want to see if I can **** off a few UpRev Cipher owners. hehe
Old 05-12-2006 | 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Does this mean I have to upload an update? Or did I order so late that it will already be on there?

You got yours already? Did you try to mess with the BCM functions yet?

Again, if we are running short on the 10, I posted that I'm getting this unit on the G forums. I didn't mention price or how to get it though. Mainly I want to see if I can **** off a few UpRev Cipher owners. hehe
I haven't done anything with it yet. I'm going out to the car tonight to test it out and we'll see what happens.

I'm not sure if we are running short on the 10 or not, he's shipping so I'm assumming everything is ok, and if we are short 1 or 2 I don't think he will mind to much, because if this product is as excellent as he markets it as then I'm sure once we start talking our readings, showing graphs, scopes, dynos, etc, etc I'm sure it will sell itself to plenty of others on the board anyways.

I'm not to sure about yours needing to be updated. I'm going to take a guess and say yes since the update was on the 11th and I'm guessing these cd's probably aren't burned the same day as sale, but I will check on his forum and post back when I figure it out.

That's the nice thing about having 12 months of free updates.
Old 05-12-2006 | 04:28 PM

I just opened my scantool and went to help. Then I went to the help tab and clicked on about. It shows version 4.1.0....I just went to autoenguinity and clicked on downloads and downloaded the pc version. I just opened the .zip file to install it. It says "The installshield wizard will update the installed the version (4.1.000) to version 4.2.000...."

So in short I'm assuming if your cd comes with version 4.1 you need the update. If your version comes with 4.2 you don't....But all of our cds are probably 4.1 so you will probably need it.
Old 07-24-2006 | 08:29 AM

Bump for updates and reviews....

Jeff? 5thgenmaxima?

Doing some research on this, Auterra, and UpRev right now....
Old 07-24-2006 | 09:22 AM
♠♠♠♠♠

yeah, I'd like to hear some updates as well.. be cool to get another group-deal going..
Old 07-24-2006 | 09:27 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Bump for updates and reviews....

Jeff? 5thgenmaxima?

Doing some research on this, Auterra, and UpRev right now....
Grave digger

Quick Reply: Comments on this ODB-II scanner? Good/Bad?