5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Considering 02/03 Maxima but I have Reliability concerns...thoughts on this???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 07:34 PM

Every car will have PROS, and CONS, now see which one has the least problems for the $buck$.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Dust N Bones
I have owned 2 I30's (which are basically Infiniti badged Maxima's) and 2 Maxima's. A '99 SE and the '02 GLE that I have now. These cars are definitely the best bang for the buck however the one thing that concerns me is in your original post you mentioned interior quality and rattles. That is a very common problem with the '02 & '03's. If it doesn't any rattling when you get the car chances are it will soon there after.
The Maxima may be a perfect compromise coming from a fairly powerful and quick vehicle to a sedan. The max has a fair amount of power and the interior is gotta be leaps and bounds ahead of the interior in my trans am. The rattles are a bit of a concern but I just wonder if its really going to be a big problem, some double sided tape works wonders
Old 02-26-2006, 08:12 PM
Thinks he is fast

I've had my 02 6 speed for about 6 months and I haven't had any problems with it yet. I did buy it certified pre-owned so if I do have problems nissan will be fronting the bill =). I really liked the syling of maxima and the vq35 6 speed combo sold me.I have a few friends with tsx's and they don't have much power at all even the 6 speeds. The is300 is also lacking in that department but I think that their interiors are nicer and offer more refinement than the maxima. Think about it though, the maxima is a nissan not an infiniti, lexus and acura are higher end toyotas and hondas. Ask yourself what means more to you, having good power/torque or a nicer interior. Have you thought about the g35 sedan? I think that has a little more refinement to offer and they are quick (also 6 speed manual). IMO that car is a lot more comparable to the IS300 and maybe the tsx. The thing with the tsx that makes me almost look down on it is the fact that it's a four cylinder. Because of this, I think it puts the tsx in a different class and the acura sport sedan v6 would be the TL, much more comparable to the max IMO. Good luck with the decision
Old 02-27-2006, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by maxspeedse02
I've had my 02 6 speed for about 6 months and I haven't had any problems with it yet. I did buy it certified pre-owned so if I do have problems nissan will be fronting the bill =). I really liked the syling of maxima and the vq35 6 speed combo sold me.I have a few friends with tsx's and they don't have much power at all even the 6 speeds. The is300 is also lacking in that department but I think that their interiors are nicer and offer more refinement than the maxima. Think about it though, the maxima is a nissan not an infiniti, lexus and acura are higher end toyotas and hondas. Ask yourself what means more to you, having good power/torque or a nicer interior. Have you thought about the g35 sedan? I think that has a little more refinement to offer and they are quick (also 6 speed manual). IMO that car is a lot more comparable to the IS300 and maybe the tsx. The thing with the tsx that makes me almost look down on it is the fact that it's a four cylinder. Because of this, I think it puts the tsx in a different class and the acura sport sedan v6 would be the TL, much more comparable to the max IMO. Good luck with the decision
Thanks for the reply...the problem with the G35 is to meet my requirements 6 speed manual and $20k or less and have 45k or less miles is that its downright impossible.

The good thing about the max is that its much cheaper. As I said earlier it would be damn near a cash purchase. I'd put 7 or 8k down turn around and sell my TA for 6500 or 7k and basically either pay off most of the loan, get a few suspension mods and then put the rest on my mortgage.

I dunno if it makes sense but I almost feel the maxima might be a perfect compromise at this point in my life while also helping me along with my other goals.

Our house is on a 15 year mortgage we bought it in July. My goal is to have it paid off in 7 to 10 years and move into a place we can live in for 30 years or so while my wife and I finish up our working careers. If I can pay our house off in 10 years we can move up to a much nicer house and our payment on a 15 yr mortgage wouldn't go up much if at all.

I dont really know if I'm making sense to a lot of folks on here, but as of right now thats how I'm feeling.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:41 AM

When i was shopping around for a car i came close to getting the 02 accord v6 ...but then realized if i spend a bit more i get tons more car. the 5th gen occupies a weird in between place in the market. it really is a great car for its price.
the only issue i had was the radiator leaked and the car overheated ($700!). but that just may be dumb luck and not indicative of the manufacturing (a rock or something flew in there).
oh yeah, the stock tires are terrible. other than that its a great sedan. (although you may want to stiffen the suspension with a ftsb and a rsb).
good luck with your goals/plans!
Old 02-27-2006, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by 5thgenfan
When i was shopping around for a car i came close to getting the 02 accord v6 ...but then realized if i spend a bit more i get tons more car. the 5th gen occupies a weird in between place in the market. it really is a great car for its price.
the only issue i had was the radiator leaked and the car overheated ($700!). but that just may be dumb luck and not indicative of the manufacturing (a rock or something flew in there).
oh yeah, the stock tires are terrible. other than that its a great sedan. (although you may want to stiffen the suspension with a ftsb and a rsb).
good luck with your goals/plans!
Strut tower brace and rear sway bar are going on almost immediately.

I haven't read about any radiator issues and my friends haven't had radiator issues so I think maybe that was a fluke?

I dont buy rap tires but I probably wont get Z rated tires just because of the poor performance they yield after being on the car for several years.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:48 AM

Here is my opinion of Maximas:

I own a 2002 SE that I purchased band new, which now has 150K miles on it. Yesterday (2-26) i bought my wife a new 2006. Awesome cars, great reliability.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
If you do get one, get an 03 TE six speed. All cars have problems... Mostly the 00's and 02's with MAF's and coils.

They are pretty reliable, but some do have more problems than others.

The 5.5gen Maxima is great bang for the buck.
I agree all cars have problems. Some have major problems and some have small problems. The problems the 5.5 gen have are pretty minor except the MAF which I have never had on my 02 or 03. The only problem I have had with a 5.5 gen was the dim CEL on my 02 and it was fixed under warranty. No cel problems, no oil burning problems, no maf problems. It's a reliable car.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:05 AM

No problems here...

I have a 2003 Maxima SE. 76k miles on it. It is an Auto.
The car is made in Japan(last year).
The car is VERY reliable and i am an aggressive driver. I like to push it hard.

No repairs, excpet regular maintenance. (AT Flush/radiator flush/Syntheic Oil changes/brakes/tires)
I have the extended warranty from Nissan, but so far, i have NOT used it for anything. I still have about 20k miles left on the warranty.
The car runs strong - almost like new. Does not burn oil. AT shifts smooth.
NO rattles inside the car. It is 2003 and it still looks new inside. It feels solidly built. It is quiet on the highway if you have QUIET TIRES.
I had noisy ultra-high perf. tires and i hated the HW ride.

Stock brakes - seem and feel weak to me, even though the car stops pretty well. You can do an easy upgrade to 6gen brakes for $300-400.
Stock tires - suck!

Suspension - The stock SE suspension could be harsh at times, yet it is not so effective. The "bouncing" feel at high speeds/crappy roads could be SCARY. Better shocks are necessary, IMO.
Strut bars + rear sway bar are a must have...and they are affordable.
Torque steer.....you may hate it at first, but with good tires and better suspension it is not such a big problem. I totally got used to it.
Winter traction without snow tires is bad, really bad.

Other than that, it is a great car. I had zero mechanical problems with it and with help from this forum, you can improve it for very little $$$ and keep it running fine for a long time.

I test drove the TSX. I liked the interior but i did not like the lack of torque in the 4-cylinder. Felt sporty and tight but that's about it. May be a great car but it is in a different class.

If you care about gas mileage....maybe the TSX will be a better choice. I get about 20MPG in my auto Maxima. It likes 91+ octane ONLY. Not impressive, but this is what you "pay" for all the power under the hood.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by dansmax2003
I have a 2003 Maxima SE. 76k miles on it. It is an Auto.
The car is made in Japan(last year).
The car is VERY reliable and i am an aggressive driver. I like to push it hard.

No repairs, excpet regular maintenance. (AT Flush/radiator flush/Syntheic Oil changes/brakes/tires)
I have the extended warranty from Nissan, but so far, i have NOT used it for anything. I still have about 20k miles left on the warranty.
The car runs strong - almost like new. Does not burn oil. AT shifts smooth.
NO rattles inside the car. It is 2003 and it still looks new inside. It feels solidly built. It is quiet on the highway if you have QUIET TIRES.
I had noisy ultra-high perf. tires and i hated the HW ride.

Stock brakes - seem and feel weak to me, even though the car stops pretty well. You can do an easy upgrade to 6gen brakes for $300-400.
Stock tires - suck!

Suspension - The stock SE suspension could be harsh at times, yet it is not so effective. The "bouncing" feel at high speeds/crappy roads could be SCARY. Better shocks are necessary, IMO.
Strut bars + rear sway bar are a must have...and they are affordable.
Torque steer.....you may hate it at first, but with good tires and better suspension it is not such a big problem. I totally got used to it.
Winter traction without snow tires is bad, really bad.

Other than that, it is a great car. I had zero mechanical problems with it and with help from this forum, you can improve it for very little $$$ and keep it running fine for a long time.

I test drove the TSX. I liked the interior but i did not like the lack of torque in the 4-cylinder. Felt sporty and tight but that's about it. May be a great car but it is in a different class.

If you care about gas mileage....maybe the TSX will be a better choice. I get about 20MPG in my auto Maxima. It likes 91+ octane ONLY. Not impressive, but this is what you "pay" for all the power under the hood.
Thanks for the reply, gas mileage is moderately important, but really the only goal is to be better than my TA for city driving which with the mods I have done to the car shouldn't be hard. My last tank I got 12.65 mpg If I drove it like a grandma I can get 17 out of it with my mods but thats about it in the winter time. Summer time I get closer to 17 all the time.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:47 AM

O2 sensors should be covered under the federally mandated 8 yr/80K emissions warranty if you are still concerned about them.

Interior rattles are a minor issue on mine (03 6-speed). I have one when its cold under the windshield on the passenger side, around the Nav screen, and the 12V/cig lighter. Other than those when its cold, when the road is really bumpy and I have both hands on the wheel, the armrest rattles when its in the up position.

I have had a couple of minor issues. One is the common "thump sound from the front" that turned out to be the sway bar end links (warranty), the gas tank pressure valve (~$350+), and the heat shield breaking (~$5).

Gas mileage highly depends on your driving style and where you are driving. Driving like grandma on the highway and averaging about 55 mph, I was getting about 32+ mpg, no joking, as I did this for over a year. On the interstate at speed, I can get about 30 mpg (maybe a bit more if I can leave the cruise on long enough and if I can stay off the happy pedal). But stop and go kills it. I am now getting about 25 mpg if I am lucky since I drive about 3 miles then stop, then 1 mile then stop, then 3 miles then stop, rinse and repeat...

Really, for the money, you can't beat a Maxima. I researched long and hard before buying this one and haven't thought that I made the wrong decision yet.

Hope that helps and good luck!
Old 02-27-2006, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Barc
O2 sensors should be covered under the federally mandated 8 yr/80K emissions warranty if you are still concerned about them.

Interior rattles are a minor issue on mine (03 6-speed). I have one when its cold under the windshield on the passenger side, around the Nav screen, and the 12V/cig lighter. Other than those when its cold, when the road is really bumpy and I have both hands on the wheel, the armrest rattles when its in the up position.

I have had a couple of minor issues. One is the common "thump sound from the front" that turned out to be the sway bar end links (warranty), the gas tank pressure valve (~$350+), and the heat shield breaking (~$5).

Gas mileage highly depends on your driving style and where you are driving. Driving like grandma on the highway and averaging about 55 mph, I was getting about 32+ mpg, no joking, as I did this for over a year. On the interstate at speed, I can get about 30 mpg (maybe a bit more if I can leave the cruise on long enough and if I can stay off the happy pedal). But stop and go kills it. I am now getting about 25 mpg if I am lucky since I drive about 3 miles then stop, then 1 mile then stop, then 3 miles then stop, rinse and repeat...

Really, for the money, you can't beat a Maxima. I researched long and hard before buying this one and haven't thought that I made the wrong decision yet.

Hope that helps and good luck!
Yeah mileage is highly dependant on driving thats true of any vehicle. I get 28mpg in my TA at 90 thanks to a stupidly tall 6th gear.

On the O2 thing why did the folks I know have to pay between 380 and 500 bucks to get them replaced if its covered under the 8yr/80k?
Old 02-27-2006, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Barc
O2 sensors are covered until 3 yrs/36K only. The cats and reprogramming are covered 8/80.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95
It was only 80 bucks for a maf? Thats dirt cheap, the one for my mazda was 328 bucks :eek3:

What about the O2 sensors that seem to be a common failure...
around 80 bucks for an 00-01 maf. the 02-03 are considerably more expensive (~$450); however you can use the 00-01 maf (there's a write up on it somewhere in the stickys i believe).

I haven't heard of many o2 sensor problems since i've gotten onto the forums...they're pretty good and should last into the 100k+ range..

Hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by frankd121
around 80 bucks for an 00-01 maf. the 02-03 are considerably more expensive (~$450); however you can use the 00-01 maf (there's a write up on it somewhere in the stickys i believe).

I haven't heard of many o2 sensor problems since i've gotten onto the forums...they're pretty good and should last into the 100k+ range..

Hope this helps.
I dont drive much at all so if they last to 100k thats pretty good, I may not ever have to replace them.

450 vs the prior maf's 80???? Why the ridiculous jump in price?
Old 02-27-2006, 11:44 AM

I bought my 02 Maxima SE new back in March 2002. The only noteable problems I had were blown MAF sensor (800 miles) and a bad HU (radio) in my second year of ownership.

That said, my 02 Maxima has been one of the most reliable cars I've EVER owned and that fact was the main reason why I bought out its lease rather than lateral trade into an Altima SE-R. To date, I dont even have any interior rattles or buzzes. Caveat: The only thing would do differently is get a loaded 6MT w/ Navi. That aside, the 5.5G Maxima is simply a terrific family/sports sedan that I'm very reluctant to trade away.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by F23A4
I bought my 02 Maxima SE new back in March 2002. The only noteable problems I had were blown MAF sensor (800 miles) and a bad HU (radio) in my second year of ownership.

That said, my 02 Maxima has been one of the most reliable cars I've EVER owned and that fact was the main reason why I bought out its lease rather than lateral trade into an Altima SE-R. To date, I dont even have any interior rattles or buzzes. Caveat: The only thing would do differently is get a loaded 6MT w/ Navi. That aside, the 5.5G Maxima is simply a terrific family/sports sedan that I'm very reluctant to trade away.
Is the Navi really worth it? I have a PDA with Navi that I got free from work. So I dunno that I really need Navi on my next car? I wouldn't complain but it seems like something that'd drive up the price unnecessarily no?
Old 02-27-2006, 12:03 PM

Is the Navi really worth it? I have a PDA with Navi that I got free from work. So I dunno that I really need Navi on my next car? I wouldn't complain but it seems like something that'd drive up the price unnecessarily no?
At the time, the 02 Maxima was the only non-Infiniti Nissan with Navi (albeit a relatively inferior CD-ROM system). That said, a Courtesy Nissan center console trim and AVIC-D1 would be the way to go if a built in system was desired. I have this unit in my Quest but use a Garmin SPIII in my Maxima/Murano....there's a WORLD of difference between the two in terms of utility.

If the performance and bells/whistles of the 5.5G is not that big of a deal then, a 2000-01 Maxima does the job just fine AND should be easier on the bank account.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by F23A4
At the time, the 02 Maxima was the only non-Infiniti Nissan with Navi (albeit a relatively inferior CD-ROM system). That said, a Courtesy Nissan center console trim and AVIC-D1 would be the way to go if a built in system was desired. I have this unit in my Quest but use a Garmin SPIII in my Maxima/Murano....there's a WORLD of difference between the two in terms of utility.

If the performance and bells/whistles of the 5.5G is not that big of a deal then, a 2000-01 Maxima does the job just fine AND should be easier on the bank account.
No 6 speed and no 255hp V6 on the prior years
Old 02-27-2006, 12:16 PM

I love my max, 6 speed. I've put about 40,000 in less than one year of ownership. I have done nothing but put fuel and oil changes and have had no major issues. I do throw a code for the 02, p0138 every now and then. But I just reset the ecu and go for another few months. This has been the case for 30k now.

- Plan on upgrading the stock head unit, Springs shocks, exhaust.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Woody
I love my max, 6 speed. I've put about 40,000 in less than one year of ownership. I have done nothing but put fuel and oil changes and have had no major issues. I do throw a code for the 02, p0138 every now and then. But I just reset the ecu and go for another few months. This has been the case for 30k now.

- Plan on upgrading the stock head unit, Springs shocks, exhaust.
p0138?

Id' be kinda hesitant about an exhaust swap especially as much as you drive. The noise wont bother you?
Old 02-27-2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
O2 sensors are covered until 3 yrs/36K only. The cats and reprogramming are covered 8/80.
You are correct. I got ahead of myself.

Had I the choice, I wouldn't have gotten Nav. Since I got mine used, it was a neat feature and has been useful at times however. Aftermarket Nav is better than the CD based system that comes standard and I would recommend it over the factory installed system.

On that note, if you find a 6-speed loaded with Nav, you've found something on the rarer side of Maximas. And if you find an 03 6-speed loaded with Nav, then count yourself in a very small minority.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

123k on my 02 auto and nary i problem....except the Bose hates to play cds in 30 below temp, other than that the best car i have ever had...including my SHOs.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by 3xSHOloser
123k on my 02 auto and nary i problem....except the Bose hates to play cds in 30 below temp, other than that the best car i have ever had...including my SHOs.
Hahah luckily its not ever 30 below here...we had some record cold temps in december and it was -5 to about -9 a couple times.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I am one of the several owners of a VQ35DE 2k3 Maxima which suffered massive oil burning issues. I had my long block replaced on my 2k3. I investigated this matter and although its not a common problem ( i did a poll just based on the ORG alone, and it yielded about 15% suffering oil loss)... It is a vERY VERY EXPENSIVE problem if you get stuck with it.

There has been no indications as to what the true problem is (although some speculate that it might be caused by piston rings aligning and allowing oil to blow by), but it sucks.

Nissan North America is AWARE of the VQ35DE issues and seems that the problem was rectified on 2005+ models of nissans with VQ35DE motors.

This issue is NOT limited to maximas, but affects G35's, 350Z's Pathfinders and Altimas. Go to any of these forums and search for OIL BURNING or OIL LOSS and you will find a batch of DISPLEASED people with this issue.

I was fortunate to have my motor replaced under my extended warranty, but if you are out of warranty, we are talking HUGE DOLLARS. Some things you need to realize is that you wont notice if the car is burning oil until driving for several thousand KM's. If you start seeing your oil levels drop off then you HAVE THE PROBLEM.

in the past, when i had the issue, driving about 1000-2000kms resulting in my dip stick reading from FULL to LOW.

Funny thing is, when i had my car in for a new engine, there was a 2k4 with the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. There are various threads. But I will not take a chance and buy another 2k2/2k3 because you dont know if it is burning oil or not until after you driaven it for a while and its a gamble.

Every car has its share of issues, and simple things like O2 sensors or MAFS blowing, I can live with, BUT NOT IF THE ISSUE IS A MOTOR REPLACEMENT. So be advised, again this is not a MAXIMA issue, but there are small percentage of owners with VQ35DE's in other Nissans that suffer from this problem, and it is a very expensive problem.

HOpe that helps.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:20 AM

Please read http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=457142 for additional information about the Maxima - its pros, and cons. Good luck in your purchase!

ShysMax
Old 02-28-2006, 10:37 AM

Most cars I've been around use a little oil... alittle is 1qt or LESS every 3k miles. Typically its about a half quart between changes is the max's potential problem that bad?

My guess is that its related to poor break in.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:40 PM

Most cars I've been around use a little oil... alittle is 1qt or LESS every 3k miles. Typically its about a half quart between changes is the max's potential problem that bad?

My guess is that its related to poor break in.
You guessed wrong dude. Its not a poor break in.. I guarantee you that much. ON ANY car a poor break in MAY have some effect in premature oil loss.

Read up on some of the members with oil loss problems. Some have even sold their maximas because of the problems. Others have had it replaced under warranty.

I myself had used synthetic oils-even using Amsoil synthetics and changing the OIL prematurely at 4000KMS (not miles KM).. which was expesnive but i wanted to ensure that the engine lives a long time. Well only took 60,000kms before oil loss was almost 2 quarts every 1-2K (thats KM).

There is a slight flaw in the VQ35DE somewhere, which has been rectified in 2005 and up VQ35DE (g35/350z/maximas). Dealerships around my area know about this issue with the VQ35DE oil burning problem.

Another issue to watch out for is the premature desinigration of the precats (which you get that classic rattling noise at 1800-2200RPMS). the front lower precat seemst o break up and sometimes can get sucked back into the engien causing damage... THERE WAS A TSB on the 2k4 Maxima but the problem goes beyond 2k4 maximas, it hits 2k2/2k3 maximas as well. How do i know? Well i had mine replaced twice... tehrefore installed CATTMAN HEADERS INSTEAD to bypass the stupid @sshole designed precats..

I have owned a 2k2 Maxima, and now I own a 2k3. In addition i have a 99 Max SE in the family. I know enough about maximas to tell you that the 4th gen's have better relaibility.

See my website for mods i have done to my maxima.

Again this isnt all maximas, this is a small percentage of maximas. its not 1 to 2 % i am talking here. My poll with in the ORG itself was nearly 15% of the peopel who responded which gives you a ROUGH idea THat is very high...
Old 02-28-2006, 01:55 PM

Man thats a bit scary...the warranty covers the oil burning issue though? I also plan on buying a warranty from my credit union in addition to the nissan CPO warranty (assumin gi buy from a dealer).
Old 02-28-2006, 06:41 PM
dot dot dot ...

Oil guzzlers FTL..
Old 02-28-2006, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Oil guzzlers FTL..
I wonder what its related too and why if its so bad there hasn't been a TSB on it?
edit: I guess recall is a more appropriate word here
Old 02-28-2006, 07:20 PM
dot dot dot ...

Until mine starts sipping the lube, I'm happy.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:52 AM

Well no problems w/oil burning on my 02-03. Both my 5.5 have been solided and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one. Now the 6 gen is another story (no way in hell). I've had my share of cars and all come with problems. My 92 Vw was a nightmare, my 97 Protege was so problem free that I loved it. I personally wouldn't touch any new nissan products built in America because of all the horror stories I ve heard regarding the new max and titan
Old 03-01-2006, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
Well no problems w/oil burning on my 02-03. Both my 5.5 have been solided and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one. Now the 6 gen is another story (no way in hell). I've had my share of cars and all come with problems. My 92 Vw was a nightmare, my 97 Protege was so problem free that I loved it. I personally wouldn't touch any new nissan products built in America because of all the horror stories I ve heard regarding the new max and titan
What about the Altima?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:26 AM

The altima had it share of problems in the beginning. I don't understand why cause I think the Altima has always been built in america and the last generation was a very reliable car. When the new Altimas came out the interior was very cheap looking and the leather looked like crap. They have since fixed the interior, but I personally wouldn't touch it still. Don't worry about the 5.5 gen, you will be fine. Just check the cars history and try to buy a trade in 5.5, not one that has been brought at auction.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:28 AM

The altima had it share of problems in the beginning. I don't understand why cause I think the Altima has always been built in america and the last generation was a very reliable car. When the new Altimas came out the interior was very cheap looking and the leather looked like crap. They have since fixed the interior, but I personally wouldn't touch it still. Don't worry about the 5.5 gen, you will be fine. Just check the cars history and try to buy a trade in 5.5, not one that has been brought at auction.
I always try to buy trade-ins and not auction cars...auction cars are typically in rougher shape.

Thanks for the info on the altima. I wasn't really considering it but my curiosity was up from some of the posts.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:21 AM

There are certain cars out there to avoid. ONe good car that comes to mind was the V8 equipped Taurus SHO - they had some MAJOR engine problem that needed new engines.. Sure alot of them were okay, but the few that had the issue was stuck with a 10-15,000 bill as those motors werent cheap.

I am just warning you that there is a possiblilty of picking up a fukked up VQ35DE equipped maxima. And you probably wont know it until later. IMagine footing the bill on having a motor replaced after 2 years. My engine was FINISHED after 2 years (i bought it new). I can't imagine paying for that myself.

Read up on other boards - www.g35driver.com, www.altimas.net ==> search for VQ35DE oil loss. My ex-boss had a Vq35de pathfinder and its engine was replaced after 40,000kms for OIL LOSS.... There is SOMETHING wrong with some of the VQ35DE's out htere NOT ALL. THe scary part is that Nissan North America and Nissan Canada ARE aware of this problem. Same with the tech guys at SEVERAL dealerships I have been to. So take that into consideration.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:10 AM

My friends dad is a wholesaler. He has some gorgeous cars on his lot, but if they don't sell within 30 days, he takes them to auction. Most of them are one owner trades with like 20k on them, and they all run great. Also, if he has too many of one kind, or it doesn't fit in with the lot (ie a dodge minivan traded at Mercedes lot or something) those go to auction too.
I've been to several auctions, and they have certain lanes for salvage titles/body damage, and theres also lanes for 2 years or newer, or the off-lease lane. It's not the same at every one, but just because a car was purchased at auction doesn't necessarily mean its a bad car to buy. The reputation of the dealership where the car actually is would matter more to me. If I missed something or I'm rambling, someone let me know
Old 03-01-2006, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima570
My friends dad is a wholesaler. He has some gorgeous cars on his lot, but if they don't sell within 30 days, he takes them to auction. Most of them are one owner trades with like 20k on them, and they all run great. Also, if he has too many of one kind, or it doesn't fit in with the lot (ie a dodge minivan traded at Mercedes lot or something) those go to auction too.
I've been to several auctions, and they have certain lanes for salvage titles/body damage, and theres also lanes for 2 years or newer, or the off-lease lane. It's not the same at every one, but just because a car was purchased at auction doesn't necessarily mean its a bad car to buy. The reputation of the dealership where the car actually is would matter more to me. If I missed something or I'm rambling, someone let me know
I agree, if it were a local dealer I'd consider an auction car, however, since I will probably have to look in a variety of areas that I'm unfamiliar with I would prefer to get a one owner trade.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:07 PM

To elaborate on my original post, the Altima SE-R was my main consideration when my lease was about expire. The 05 Altima was/is a marked improvement over the 02-03 but still felt cheaper (build quality and material-wise) compared with the 5/5.5G Maxima....which itself doesnt have the best quality.

Quick Reply: Considering 02/03 Maxima but I have Reliability concerns...thoughts on this???