5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Considering 02/03 Maxima but I have Reliability concerns...thoughts on this???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 06:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Considering 02/03 Maxima but I have Reliability concerns...thoughts on this???

Well guys, let me say hello to everyone. My name is Trey and I've been a car fanatic just about my entire life. In 1987 our neighbor brought home a 1987 vette...from that point on I was hooked on cars. A short time later for my 6th birthday my dad got me a subscription to car and driver. I had to have him read the articles to me I've got MT and CD dating back to 1992 in my office right now ( my mom threw out my older ones ).

I'll be on the market for a new (used) car here shortly.
My list of potential vehicles
Lexus IS300
Acura TSX
Subaru Legacy GT
And now the 02/03 Nissan Maxima

ALL must have a manual transmission, I do NOT drive autos.

I've been a maxima fan for a LONG time. I almost bought a 93 in high school but it was too expensive. I have since been close to buying a 95, 97 and a 98. However, I wound up with a Mazda 626 my first year of college and then a couple years later with my Trans Am. Well now I'm older (24) and married and I would like a 4 door something we can take some trips in, something thats quiet and going to be reliable. Also something that I can take customers and/or coworkers around in.

My concerns is starting in 1999 Maxima quality seemed to start sliding down hill. I have some friends with 01's 02's and 03's and they have had a rash of O2 sensor problems and minor interior issues like power window motors etc. And rattles from the cheap sub par plastics in the interior.

What kind of reliability issues are their with the Maxima?

The pro's to the maxima are lots of power and a much cheaper price. Cheaper by 4 to 6k over the others on my list.

Also do they make a short throw shifter for the Maxima? The throws are a bit long and notchy in stock form.

Sorry for the book, I tried to keep it short...

edit: I'd be considering the SE trim level if I bought a maxima...the other good thing about its cheaper price is I could pay cash for it and immediately throw on a strut tower brace and a rear sway bar to try and get the handling up to par with the TSX and IS300.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:26 AM

If you do get one, get an 03 TE six speed. All cars have problems... Mostly the 00's and 02's with MAF's and coils.

They are pretty reliable, but some do have more problems than others.

The 5.5gen Maxima is great bang for the buck.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
If you do get one, get an 03 TE six speed. All cars have problems... Mostly the 00's and 02's with MAF's and coils.

They are pretty reliable, but some do have more problems than others.

The 5.5gen Maxima is great bang for the buck.
What does TE mean? I've never heard of TE in relation to a maxima.

I've read that MAF and coil issues are also a problem...but its primarily on the 00 and 02s?

On the issue of O2 sensors, Mafs, wheel bearings and coils when they're replaced are the parts nissan now uses BETTER than the original parts? Basically if I feel like I'm gonna be nickel and dimed on a car after the purchase than I need to get what I really want and thats a 3 series BMW. The Acura and the Lexus are supremely reliable but more expensive and significantly less powered when compared with the LGT or Maxima. I also feel that going from my F body to a Maxima will still be a huge step up in interior quality despite the subpar plastics used inside the mighty max. Basically I'm stumped and dont know what to do

If I get a CPO max or a warranty through my credit union would that aleviate a lot of the issues? Also, how hard is an O2 sensor replacement as that is the one thing all my friends have had to replace.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:47 AM

i bought my 02 new, ZERO probs. had the TSBs done, no maf probs, i've had my intake since 6K, have 38K now, no oil consumption, nothing. gas and fluid changes and she runs like a champ.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
i bought my 02 new, ZERO probs. had the TSBs done, no maf probs, i've had my intake since 6K, have 38K now, no oil consumption, nothing. gas and fluid changes and she runs like a champ.
Well thats refreshing to hear....

Do you guys know about the stereo options on the 03? How many speakers, how many watts, I know there was bose whats the difference between the bose and standard system? Or do I need my own thread for that question?
Old 02-26-2006, 08:04 AM

oh, i forgot the mention the BLOSE im on deck #6, and its ****ting the bed again. im gonna go aftermarket, but the BLOSE was a major prob with the 02-03, most guys have had a few changed..

the bose i think is a 6 speaker, and a sub, dump the sub in the deck and get a basslink major improvement..

Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95
Well thats refreshing to hear....

Do you guys know about the stereo options on the 03? How many speakers, how many watts, I know there was bose whats the difference between the bose and standard system? Or do I need my own thread for that question?
Old 02-26-2006, 09:38 AM

My buddy sells cars and they've got two 03 max's on the lot now he seems to think they're fantastic cars....but then again he does sell fords
Old 02-26-2006, 09:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have had my 03 for 2 years and no problems. Dont forget, these threads are a small population of maximas. It "seems" like there are a lot of problems becuase of answer bias(people tend to complain more then appreciate). The IS300, my friend has one, is not that fun of a car and will get boring quickly(I drive it all the time, 5spd). The TSx is a european accord and nothing special either. The legacy GT recently placed 2nd in Road and track's AWD competition behind the A4 2.0T(you looken at audi's). If I wasnt buying a G35 6SPD soon, I would deff buy a maxima becuase weve had 3 in my family 99, 00, 03 and NO problems on anyone of them.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bondy009
I have had my 03 for 2 years and no problems. Dont forget, these threads are a small population of maximas. It "seems" like there are a lot of problems becuase of answer bias(people tend to complain more then appreciate). The IS300, my friend has one, is not that fun of a car and will get boring quickly(I drive it all the time, 5spd). The TSx is a european accord and nothing special either. The legacy GT recently placed 2nd in Road and track's AWD competition behind the A4 2.0T(you looken at audi's). If I wasnt buying a G35 6SPD soon, I would deff buy a maxima becuase weve had 3 in my family 99, 00, 03 and NO problems on anyone of them.
Have you driven a TSX? If you haven't you NEED to. It is the best front driver I've ever been in, in terms of sheer feel and fun. However, I think in the long run I may like the max better since I'm used to the power of my F body. Also, the 6k I'd save would be a huge plus to the max's advantage as well...

I appreciate you being the first to mention all the cars I'm looking at and the max too
Old 02-26-2006, 11:32 AM
dot dot dot ...

I have a 95 and 03... Both are extremely reliable...

233k miles and 64k miles... No problems except for maintenance items with either.

The 03 has not had anything wrong with it.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I have a 95 and 03... Both are extremely reliable...

233k miles and 64k miles... No problems except for maintenance items with either.

The 03 has not had anything wrong with it.
Good to hear

How are your interiors holding up? Are these cars good highway cruisers? Thats ultimately why I'm turning loose of my TA. At 60 to 70mph its fine much past 70 and the exhaust really starts to get loud, wind and road noise are also very intrusive from 70mph on. From what I've read the 95 and 2000 maxima's are quieter inside than the IS300 and the TSX, I would assume the same is true for the 2002/2003?
Old 02-26-2006, 12:02 PM
THIS IS...

They are excellent highway cruisers. As for reliability; no problems at all except my MAF (80.00) installed it myself and thats it, also I am at 58k. I love my Max. Best car I have ever owned.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:06 PM

It was only 80 bucks for a maf? Thats dirt cheap, the one for my mazda was 328 bucks :eek3:

What about the O2 sensors that seem to be a common failure...
Old 02-26-2006, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
I bought mine used and have similar experience. I have 77777mi as of today and she's still going just fine.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:31 PM

I'm feeling a lot better about looking for a max after reading on here....

keep the replies coming guys

what were the warranties in 2002 and 2003 from nissan?
Old 02-26-2006, 01:24 PM

2002 and 2003 Maximas came with 3yr/36000 Bumper to Bumper and 5yr/60000 Powertrain Warranties. My car has only had one major problem: a flashing airbag light (covered under powertrain $1200 in parts) but has otherwise been problem free.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by SLAKR95
2002 and 2003 Maximas came with 3yr/36000 Bumper to Bumper and 5yr/60000 Powertrain Warranties. My car has only had one major problem: a flashing airbag light (covered under powertrain $1200 in parts) but has otherwise been problem free.
HOLY **** thats a lot of money...did they have to replace the airbag?
Old 02-26-2006, 01:35 PM

HOLY **** thats a lot of money...did they have to replace the airbag?
They replaced the Airbag in the driver's seat and when the code didn't clear they replaced the Airbag Control Module. The %^&$# thing started flashing again last night after two days, so it will have to be taken back in this week! But at least it's not my money.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:03 PM

Good to hear

How are your interiors holding up? Are these cars good highway cruisers? Thats ultimately why I'm turning loose of my TA. At 60 to 70mph its fine much past 70 and the exhaust really starts to get loud, wind and road noise are also very intrusive from 70mph on. From what I've read the 95 and 2000 maxima's are quieter inside than the IS300 and the TSX, I would assume the same is true for the 2002/2003?
You're looking for a good highway cruiser? Go ahead and scratch the Legacy GT off the list. It's one of the loudest cars I've been in on the highway. The funny thing is I was originally going to get a base '02 6 speed until I could save up enough money to buy a newer Legacy GT, then I drove one. Not only was I not very impressed by the power but the ride and ridiculous road noise plus wind noise really turned me off to the car. IMHO the Maxima is a superior car, especially on the highway at 80mph.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by kbohip
You're looking for a good highway cruiser? Go ahead and scratch the Legacy GT off the list. It's one of the loudest cars I've been in on the highway. The funny thing is I was originally going to get a base '02 6 speed until I could save up enough money to buy a newer Legacy GT, then I drove one. Not only was I not very impressed by the power but the ride and ridiculous road noise plus wind noise really turned me off to the car. IMHO the Maxima is a superior car, especially on the highway at 80mph.
Yeah it seemed to me like the LGT was definately noisier than the TSX or IS300 which are supposed to be on par or actually a bit louder than the maxima.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:11 PM
Cletus

welcome fellow okie,
go with the maxima. i have a 6speed 02 and love it.
like someone else said, all cars have problems
Old 02-26-2006, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
welcome fellow okie,
go with the maxima. i have a 6speed 02 and love it.
like someone else said, all cars have problems
I graduated from OU this past may!

Yes all cars have problems, I know that, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting into a money pit if I chose a Maxima.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:33 PM
The Boy Wonder

Only problems I've had in 6 months of ownership is a faulty o2 sensor and the blose unit not playing my cd's. Even if it had more problems I still wouldn't mind because I absolutely love my 02, it's just such a rewarding car for the price. +1 for looking for a 6 speed, I'm in the process of doing that now if the price is right.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by DesiGLE
Only problems I've had in 6 months of ownership is a faulty o2 sensor and the blose unit not playing my cd's. Even if it had more problems I still wouldn't mind because I absolutely love my 02, it's just such a rewarding car for the price. +1 for looking for a 6 speed, I'm in the process of doing that now if the price is right.
Did you switch the O2 sensor yourself? Or did the dealer do it?
Old 02-26-2006, 02:50 PM
The Boy Wonder

Dealer did it, just buy an extended/aftermarket warranty if you can and you'll be
Old 02-26-2006, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by DesiGLE
Dealer did it, just buy an extended/aftermarket warranty if you can and you'll be
I plan on doing CPO and/or getting a warranty through my credit union.

How do you guys think the Maxima stacks up to the TSX and the IS300 if you have any experience with the two cars...

As an enthusiast do you think I'd regret getting a maxima or at least regret certain areas of the max? If so what do you think they will be? This is NOT a trick question as I have problems with the IS300 and the TSX as well...but I'm here to learn and figure you guys would be fairly honest but maybe a bit biased
Old 02-26-2006, 03:26 PM

I just bought my 6 spd 02 in January after two years of owning a 95 4th gen 5 spd. I also looked at and drove a few TSX's ( Euro Accord), IS300's and Audi S4's, the TSX was a nice car but way too much money for a 4banger and @ 200hp it was the slowest car of the group. Audi S4 great car lots of fun but about $5,000 to $10,000 more than I paid for my Maxima, the S4 was also older and more miles on average and there we're repair cost issues that concerned me. IS300 nice but boring, I just kept coming back to the Maxima for "bang for the buck" besides add a catback and CAI and your pushing close to 300 ponies. Hold out for a 6 speed just for the fun factor. In the long run I'm sure the Maxima will be just as reliable as any of the other cars you've mentioned if not more so! And probably cheaper too. Stick with 02-03 last of the Japanese made.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:38 PM
The Boy Wonder

I drove my friend's TSX all last weekend, putting it through its paces. While it handles like a gem for a FWD car and better than Maxima, just a few mods to Maxima and you've got 1. loads of power 2. great handling. Both of my friends that have TSX's (brand new 06's) regret it and admit my Maxima is better, don't get me wrong I love the handling with TSX. But the power from Maxima pleases me more
Old 02-26-2006, 04:19 PM

Never had issues with bearings, coils, O2s or the MAF. This is even after extending one of the O2s during my y-pipe install. The one and only issue was the Bose (I've been through 2 head units already), but its been behaving well recently.

I've driven a loaner TSX and test drove an IS300, both of which were comparable to my 2002 at idle in terms of quietness, but I have the rear window wind noise at higher speeds. At higher speeds, the IS300 is quieter hands down and the TSX is marginally better than the Max. The IS300 definitely has a different feel to it because of the RWD, so I won't compare the 2, but as far as the TSX is concerned, it wasn't as close to being as powerful as the Max. I wasn't impressed with the handling either, but then stock for stock it probably handled better than my Max did stock.

My experience with the short shifter for my Max is here and there are several other old threads like this out there as well:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=455387
Old 02-26-2006, 06:22 PM

I thought the last year for jap production was 2002???

Thanks for the replies guys...On the TSX's and IS300s I drove the TSX's were quieter than the IS300s.

I assume a strut tower brace and larger rear sway bar help the max out quite a bit?

Thanks for the bit on the short shifter
Old 02-26-2006, 06:35 PM

I thought the last year for jap production was 2002???

Thanks for the replies guys...On the TSX's and IS300s I drove the TSX's were quieter than the IS300s.

I assume a strut tower brace and larger rear sway bar help the max out quite a bit?

Thanks for the bit on the short shifter
IIRC, the last year of production in Japan was 2003.

The TSXs you drove were probably newer and not loaner beaters that people and their friends tear up.

The FSTB and RSB help considerably on a Maxima with stock suspension, although, there has been an ongoing debate about the effectiveness of the RSB on Maximas with coilovers or even upgraded struts/springs.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:36 PM

Dude I have a 03 Max and other than blowing the sub twice I have never had a problem with it. I love my Max.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
IIRC, the last year of production in Japan was 2003.

The TSXs you drove were probably newer and not loaner beaters that people and their friends tear up.

The FSTB and RSB help considerably on a Maxima with stock suspension, although, there has been an ongoing debate about the effectiveness of the RSB on Maximas with coilovers or even upgraded struts/springs.
Couple things here...

I drove a brand new TSX with 10 miles on the ODO and one with 54k miles on it and two IS300's one 02 and one 04 with between 20 and 33k miles...I can't remember the mileage on the newer one but the 02 was 33k...

I dont plan on dropping whatever car I get, my driveway is fairly steep a dropped car = a broken car

Doubt I'd be doing an exhaust as I want something that is quiet on the highway...generally an exhaust is NOT quiet.

How are the interiors holding up on your cars?
What are the things you dislike about the maxima?
Old 02-26-2006, 06:51 PM
dot dot dot ...

How are the interiors holding up on your cars?
What are the things you dislike about the maxima?
Interiors holding up just fine.

Can't stand the stock jello suspension.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Interiors holding up just fine.

Can't stand the stock jello suspension.

I take it a lot of folks drop their cars based on what I've seen around here. I would put on some better struts when the time came to replace the stockers but I dont think I could drop it...just not my thing and I wanna get it in the driveway without scraping
Old 02-26-2006, 07:04 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=295690
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=393020
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=373962
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=274227
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=434134
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=443933
Old 02-26-2006, 07:07 PM

I have owned 2 I30's (which are basically Infiniti badged Maxima's) and 2 Maxima's. A '99 SE and the '02 GLE that I have now. These cars are definitely the best bang for the buck however the one thing that concerns me is in your original post you mentioned interior quality and rattles. That is a very common problem with the '02 & '03's. If it doesn't any rattling when you get the car chances are it will soon there after.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:09 PM

Addition to the FAQs maybe?

"I'm looking to purchase a 00-01 or 02-03 Maxima, what do I have to know?"
Old 02-26-2006, 07:12 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

There's just soooo many threads like this out there, that if guys would just search around, they'd see them without listing a high number of threads in the stickies.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
There's just soooo many threads like this out there, that if guys would just search around, they'd see them without listing a high number of threads in the stickies.
Fair enough.....

Quick Reply: Considering 02/03 Maxima but I have Reliability concerns...thoughts on this???