5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 06:26 AM
FU, FU, FU, You're Cool..

Intake Question

Let me start off by saying I do not want to rehash any past threads.

I have an Injen intake, we all know there is a lost of torque once this is installed.

1) Can anyone tell me how or why this happens.
2) Is there a way to modify this intake to reduce the lost of torque
3) What, exactly, is a GAB, ""posts pics if available""".

The reason I ask all this... I am NOT at all impressed with my maximas performance. With that said, I am an AT and pretty much stock at that, so the AT may be my biggest downfall or prohibitor of performance in this car. I am in stop and go to and from work so it beats contunual shifting during these times of communte.

I am telling you pretty much any car with a decent v6 either gives me a good run or beats this car.

To name a few:
Honda pilots
Grand Prix
Madza 6
Altima....even 2.5!!!
Old 02-27-2006, 06:34 AM
Out of Order . . .

Dude, the Injen intake for our cars sucks because it draws hot air from around the radiator and then runs that air right next to the engine! I have exactly the same car as you, my only mod being a GAB intake, and I can take stock GT mustangs no problem. Go to the how to/faq sticky at the top of this forum and you will find some pictures and instructions for the GAB.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What does GAB stand for?
Old 02-27-2006, 06:51 AM
大陆弟弟

Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95
What does GAB stand for?
Ghetto air box
Old 02-27-2006, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by az02se
Dude, the Injen intake for our cars sucks because it draws hot air from around the radiator and then runs that air right next to the engine! I have exactly the same car as you, my only mod being a GAB intake, and I can take stock GT mustangs no problem. Go to the how to/faq sticky at the top of this forum and you will find some pictures and instructions for the GAB.

the low end loss is not so much because of warm air. It is mainly due to the tube design. the Berk pulls warm air, but it has less low end loss because of it mid tube design.

Some have modified the Injen by taking off the tube that goes down the engine to make it more like the Berk.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by n3985
Ghetto air box

I just read about it...thats awesome
Old 02-27-2006, 07:08 AM

I just read about it...thats awesome

It is a good free mod, but I like my Berk much better then the GAB.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:15 AM
Out of Order . . .

I didn't say it lost low end because of the hot air, I just that it sucks because of it. I had the Jim Wolf Pop charger on my car with a mid pipe and after the engine bay got hot the car would barely pull until higher rpms and was a total dog off the line. The GAB is similar in this, just not as bad. When the car was cool, however, the short ram style (like the berk and the jim wolf) work very well. Plus they sound way better than the GAB (not to say the GAB doesn't sound good!)
Old 02-27-2006, 07:26 AM

With the Injen you do loose some low end torque but coupled with a Catback hit 4,000rpm and...... LOOK OUT!
Old 02-27-2006, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by MAXRB8
With the Injen you do loose some low end torque but coupled with a Catback hit 9,000rpm and...... LOOK OUT!

Fixed.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:01 AM

I think some of you guys would be surprised at what you're calling a HUGE loss of low end torque. I would be willing to bed that even with sucking in hot air its not more than a 10lb/ft loss at low rpm and you probably pickup some power on the high end.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:02 AM

With the Injen you do loose some low end torque but coupled with a Catback hit 4,000rpm and...... LOOK OUT!
Is that your car in your sig?

If so got any other pics I can see? Those wheels look bad *** and I'm usually not a wheel guy
Old 02-27-2006, 01:02 PM

Cattman sells a CAI that is a true CAI. You have to drill a hole in your fender to install it, but hey, at least it wont be sucking in hot air...
Old 02-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Cletus

another pointless intake thread covering all the same things discussed in every other intake thread
Old 02-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Learning English...

Originally Posted by miksen

I have an Injen intake, we all know there is a lost of torque once this is installed.

The reason I ask all this... I am NOT at all impressed with my maximas performance. With that said, I am an AT and pretty much stock at that, so the AT may be my biggest downfall or prohibitor of performance in this car. I am in stop and go to and from work so it beats contunual shifting during these times of communte.

I am telling you pretty much any car with a decent v6 either gives me a good run or beats this car.

To name a few:
Honda pilots
Grand Prix
Madza 6
Altima....even 2.5!!!
Here's how the GAB looks like >>> http://www.picshed.com/displayimage.php?album=8&pos=0 or this >>> http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=266911
Old 02-27-2006, 02:05 PM

Is that your car in your sig?

If so got any other pics I can see? Those wheels look bad *** and I'm usually not a wheel guy

Yes it is.....

More pics on my domain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2237441/1
Old 02-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Banned

If your car is losing to those, you have some other issue. Give it a tune up, have the injectors cleaned and get back to us.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:33 PM
dot dot dot ...

Helmholtz resonators > *
Old 02-27-2006, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by az02se
I have exactly the same car as you, my only mod being a GAB intake, and I can take stock GT mustangs no problem.
Not to start an argument, but you must be talking about stock 85 gt's with 180,000 miles?
Old 02-27-2006, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgenmaxima
Not to start an argument, but you must be talking about stock 85 gt's with 180,000 miles?

I have never lost to a Mustang GT, 1990- 2005's (stock Mustangs) And that is including when my car was bone stock.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:42 PM
dot dot dot ...

Oh boy... here we go...
Old 02-27-2006, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Oh boy... here we go...

Thats all I am going to say on the subject, if he has a problem with it he can send me a PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:51 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by upstatemax
Thats all I am going to say on the subject, if he has a problem with it he can send me a PM.
I agree with you.

As I too can and have outran all stock or lightly mdoded Mustangs (not the latest model of course)
Old 02-27-2006, 05:57 PM

Intresting. I have an 89 ran it mid 14's stock on crap tires.
taller gear and exhaust I'm @ 14.3 with crap tires, 10 degrees timing, and a really bad fuel problem I still need to address...
Old 02-27-2006, 06:04 PM

To name a few:
Honda pilots
Grand Prix
Madza 6
Altima....even 2.5!!!

how many miles do you have on your car? You might need to do a fuel injector cleaning. I have a 00 Maxima AT and injen intake. and all those cars that you listed, Ive beaten so many times. We(New Jersey) currently having cold weather so I dont worry about warm air. Injen Intake is a high end intake so for you to achieve the best from your car since you have an Auto you need to keep the car at high RPMs.
A good driver of an Auto should know this.
And if you want better gain, add a catback preferably a stillen
Old 02-27-2006, 06:19 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by ope2k4
Injen Intake is a high end intake so for you to achieve the best from your car since you have an Auto you need to keep the car at high RPMs.
It's hard to do in a 4AT. Gearing is too damn tall.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:26 PM

Injen Intake is a high end intake so for you to achieve the best from your car since you have an Auto you need to keep the car at high RPMs.
A good driver of an Auto should know this.
And if you want better gain, add a catback preferably a stillen

The Injen is not a "highend" intake. It is a rip off, it has the worst low end loss with a bit of highend gain.

Cattbacks add almost nothing to a Maxima, please dont post BS. Saying that a good auto driver should keep high rpms is BS also. You need to know where your cars "sweet spot" is. 5.5gen's have better mid range, so high rpms is not ideal, my old Saab was a rocket in the mid range.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
It's hard to do in a 4AT. Gearing is too damn tall.
Maybe our cars are different like I said before, I know my car feels sluggish from 1000rpm to 3000rpm right. But as soon as it reached 3500rpm you could really feel how the car pulls harder. My AT can only reach 6000rpm before changing from 1 to 2 (mind you Ive tried this too many times and I couldnt get past it so I gave up) then when the car changes to 2 the rpm falls back to 3500 which is still nice feel me?
Now Ive driven a 00 stick shift (my friend's car) he has injen also and his car pulls harder than mine plus Im able to stick the rpm to 6500

The Injen is not a "highend" intake. It is a rip off, it has the worst low end loss with a bit of highend gain.

Cattbacks add almost nothing to a Maxima, please dont post BS. Saying that a good auto driver should keep high rpms is BS also. You need to know where your cars "sweet spot" is. 5.5gen's have better mid range, so high rpms is not ideal, my old Saab was a rocket in the mid range.
different people on here will tell you that different cars respond to Mods differently so Im not going to say more.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:26 PM
Drug Money

This was one of my first threads here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=431784

Read and enjoy!
Old 02-28-2006, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by GBAUER
If your car is losing to those, you have some other issue. Give it a tune up, have the injectors cleaned and get back to us.
I am not losing to all of them...the Grand prix from the line I gained a car length by the time he backed off. From a roll, 20 mph,he was a car length in front of me and I did not gain on him.

Pilot same thing from a roll

Altima 2.5 was much closer to me than I would have expected.

I did not mean to mislead you i said I either lose or get a GOOD run for my money.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
another pointless intake thread covering all the same things discussed in every other intake thread
Yes, it IS pointless if you are looking at it purely from an INTAKE only stand point. I only referenced it becasue it is on my car but I was not sure if that was a problem or if the AT cam in to play more that anything else.

I did state I DID NOT want to rehash the whole INTAKE issue or Question.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:55 AM

different people on here will tell you that different cars respond to Mods differently so Im not going to say more.

Good cause I will, yes different cars will react different. But not that much, no matter how you slice it the Injen is a rip off. Anyone who says any different is just bitter that they waisted to money on it and will not admit that it sucks.

The honest people with an Injen will tell you that it does nothing but hurt perormance but it looks good and sounds good so they keep it. The people that really want performance, dump it or modify it so it more like a Berk intake.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:23 AM

Comon guys don't argue over a STUPID post on some message board. Everyone is alowed an opinion. Go have some beers and make up!

YES I do agree it is a COMPLETE was of money and had I been a more informed consumer I would never have purchased it. I will be modifying mine this weekend however to make it more like the berk

Good cause I will, yes different cars will react different. But not that much, no matter how you slice it the Injen is a rip off. Anyone who says any different is just bitter that they waisted to money on it and will not admit that it sucks.

The honest people with an Injen will tell you that it does nothing but hurt perormance but it looks good and sounds good so they keep it. The people that really want performance, dump it or modify it so it more like a Berk intake.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:27 AM

Comon guys don't argue over a STUPID post on some message board. Everyone is alowed an opinion. Go have some beers and make up!

YES I do agree it is a COMPLETE was of money and had I been a more informed consumer I would never have purchased it. I will be modifying mine this weekend however to make it more like the berk
That’s why I argue... So I can inform the masses

or because I cannot let anything go and feel the need to argue.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:05 AM

Err wrong! on 3.0's the restrictions are in the y-pipe but on the 3.5's the restrictions are in the catback according to Brian Cattman so a catback makes a huge difference on a 3.5 compared to a 3.0. Misken is referring to his 2002 3.5. Also Brian said the Intake coupled with the catback makes the diffence either one on their own..... not sa mucha

3.5's in stock form range from 240hp to 295hp depending on the vehicle a tweek here intake, a tweek there exhaust and voila hp difference. The 3.0 was not used nearly as much on a wide range of Nissan products.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:11 AM

Err wrong! on 3.0's the restrictions are in the y-pipe but on the 3.5's the restrictions are in the catback according to Brian Cattman so a catback makes a huge difference on a 3.5 compared to a 3.0. Misken is referring to his 2002 3.5. Also Brian said the Intake coupled with the catback makes the diffence either one on their own..... not sa mucha

We have already discussed this...

The Catbacks on 00-01's and 02-03's are THE SAME!!!!

YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!
Old 02-28-2006, 09:12 AM

[QUOTE=MAXRB8]Err wrong! on 3.0's the restrictions are in the y-pipe but on the 3.5's the restrictions are in the catback QUOTE]

Ahh but I bekieve I have cali spec and I also read some place that cali have an extra precat vs fed spec which only has one precat...does this restrict me as well?

Can anyone elaborate on that?
Old 02-28-2006, 09:16 AM

[QUOTE=miksen]
Err wrong! on 3.0's the restrictions are in the y-pipe but on the 3.5's the restrictions are in the catback QUOTE]

Ahh but I bekieve I have cali spec and I also read some place that cali have an extra precat vs fed spec which only has one precat...does this restrict me as well?

Can anyone elaborate on that?

All 02's are cali spec and a y-pipe alone does not get rid of the pre-cats, you need to get a header system to get rid of them.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:19 AM

Upstate...so precats are not a performance robber...I would still reap nice benefits from a catback system
Old 02-28-2006, 09:23 AM

Upstate...so precats are not a performance robber...I would still reap nice benefits from a catback system

Pre-cats are perfomace robbers. DO NOT listen to the other guy, catbacks give almost no gain on maximas, the one part that does is the B-Pipe and that is about 5hp, the muffler is just for sound. Thats why I switched back to a stock muffler (and it was off an 02 with a 3.5!!!)

Headers will gain roughly 20-25whp. a y-pipe on your car will be roughly 8whp since it does not get rid of the pre-cats. On a 00-01 where it can get rid of pre-cats it is about 15whp.

Quick Reply: Intake Question