5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 09:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just bought an 02 6 speed and it came with an injen intake, I felt kind of cool, but after reading everyone say how crappy it is...
I'll have to read up on this mod to the injen to make it more like the berk.
Is the loss that significant? Does it hurt the engine in the summer heat? Should I use the google search? Let me know...
Old 02-28-2006, 09:29 AM
FU, FU, FU, You're Cool..

upstate.....Okay now I get it...I misunderstood you the first time

Thanks
Old 02-28-2006, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima570
I just bought an 02 6 speed and it came with an injen intake, I felt kind of cool, but after reading everyone say how crappy it is...
Is the loss that significant? Does it hurt the engine in the summer heat? Should I use the google search? Let me know...

I woudl remove the down tube on the Injen and see if it is any different, drive it around for a few days. if you dont like it, you can always put it back. The person I remeber doing it said he felt a bit better low end but lost some of the Injen sound.

Do you have the stock intake?
Old 02-28-2006, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima570

You have to make p your mind. Dont base your decisions on peoples' opinions. Be a man of your own.
1. They say injen sucks water? Hm Ive had it for awhile and for it to suck water your maxima must be swimming.
2. They say it sucks warm or hot air- think about this berk and other short rams suck hotter air(if theres such word) Injen Intake sucking warm air is based on speculations cos Ive not seen someone actually take the temperature of the air that goes into the intake.
3. Has anyone ever thought of the reason why the intake was not designed like the placing one? Well the curve and the long tubing of the intake cools the warm air a little before getting into the motor.
4. Does anyone agree with me that the little more air gained for performance is retarded by out freaking ECU which is another story on its own.
5. I for one likes the growl and the little gain of Injen at high end so I dont care what people say.
Hope this helps you make your decision.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by ope2k4
You have to make p your mind. Dont base your decisions on peoples' opinions. Be a man of your own.
1. They say injen sucks water? Hm Ive had it for awhile and for it to suck water your maxima must be swimming.
2. They say it sucks warm or hot air- think about this berk and other short rams suck hotter air(if theres such word) Injen Intake sucking warm air is based on speculations cos Ive not seen someone actually take the temperature of the air that goes into the intake.
3. Has anyone ever thought of the reason why the intake was not designed like the placing one? Well the curve and the long tubing of the intake cools the warm air a little before getting into the motor.
4. Does anyone agree with me that the little more air gained for performance is retarded by out freaking ECU which is another story on its own.
5. I for one likes the growl and the little gain of Injen at high end so I dont care what people say.
Hope this helps you make your decision.
I will agree that it would be really hard to suck up water with the Injen. But saying that the long tube design cools the air is total BS, the tube will be hot thanks to it running right next to the manifold and block and that would make the air heat up even more. The whole ECU thing, well the ECU re-learns with the higherflowing intake. The Berk would prob pull cooler air than the Injen if ou leave the snorkel in place like the directions show. It gets a blast of fresh air right on the filter from the snorkel.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
We have already discussed this...

The Catbacks on 00-01's and 02-03's are THE SAME!!!!

YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!
Hey don't get your knickers in a twist tough guy. I'm only quoting from Brian Cattman figuring he is a knowledgable guy, but please present facts and proove him wrong or respect others opinions, I'm trying to respect yours!
Old 02-28-2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by MAXRB8
Hey don't get your knickers in a twist tough guy. I'm only quoting from Brian Cattman figuring he is a knowledgable guy, but please present facts and proove him wrong or respect others opinions, I'm trying to respect yours!

I have seen both right in front of me, they are identical. I have a 2002 muffler on my 2000, I put it on after I got sick of hearing my full Cattman Catback, it was identical to my 2000 muffler. When I installed the 2002 muffler there was NO power loss.

I have seen my 2000 B-Pipe sitting right next to a B-Pipe from a 2002, they were identical! They did not change the catback from 00-03, I will also be contacting Brian to clear this up because I think you misunderstood him.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:23 AM

Interesting, hey we are all passionate about the same thing good luck. All I know is I have an Injen with a Fankencar Catback, I love the set up and it pulls much harder than a stock 6 spd I drove, just my 2 cents, who's right? who's wrong? don't care, don't know. Here's a copy of the PM from Brian, take it or leave it, not much to missunderstand:

Quote:
Hey Brian, i have bought a few items from you in the past on GD's for my 4th gen, and I just picked up an 02 6spd on Jan 18th and saw this GD is there any chance at all of getting in on the y-pipe the y pipe for my 02?, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattman
Congratulations on moving up on the Maxima chain. I have an 02 6M as well, and am very fond of it.

Sorry, the December exhaust sale is a once-a-year sort of event, but for those following up late I've offered our jobber pricing on the group deal parts they missed.

In the case of the y-pipe, that brings the price down from $360 to $325, so how does that sound? If you let me know the zip code of your US shipping address I can provide a quote. Are you sure that's all you need? I'll point out that, inverse to their 95-01 VQ30DE counterparts, the VQ35DE Maximas actually make more power from the catback than the y-pipe. Nissan upgraded the flow characteristics of the y-pipe when they installed the larger engine, but they didn't touch the stock catback so it went from fairly adequate to pretty restrictive. Our FastCat does better on the 3.5 as well. We'll discount a complete exhaust system (Y, cat and catback) from $1200 to $1080.

If you had a Progress RSB on your 4th gen, hopefully you took it off because it will fit the 02. Also keep in mind that we have more suspension bushings for the 00-03 than we did for the 4th gen.

Let us know if you have other questions or want to make a move on any exhaust, suspension or other performance parts.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance

Quote:
Hi Brian, Thanks for the quick reply, my new car does already have a a Cat back system & and Injen CAI on so that's probably why it seems so much quicker than stock. Not that you've just talked yourself out of a sale, but I think I'll hold off for the time being, I just thought if I could still get on the $295 deal I'd take advantage. Thanks for the heads up on the Progress RSB I still have my 4th Gen ( up for sale) so I'll take it off and resuse it. I'll keep my eye for any future deals, regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattman
There you go, the catback and intake probably give you an extra 14-16hp at the wheel, and that does make a big difference. My 02 typically dynos in the 240-242whp range, which should be around 300 crank hp. Its surprisingly easy to get an extra 30hp from this motor given that its running so efficiently already.

Be very careful in deep water, one of our customers recently hydrolocked their engine with with an Injen - its the first direct customer hydrolock report we've gotten over 6 years of selling CAIs (we don't sell Injens but it could have happened with the PR intakes we've sold too).

Glad to hear my advice on the RSB was useful. The attachment hardware is pretty robust and they seem to last forever.

It sounds like you're simply holding off on the y-pipe purchase, but I'll note that its not really cost-effective to buy anything other than the Cattman Y for the VQ35DE. We're up-front about the diminished results compared with the VQ30DE applications, but there is nothing else out there that approaches the amount of power that our Y makes on the 02/03 Max.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 02-28-2006, 11:32 AM

I just got off the phone with Brian:

The stock Catbacks from 00-03 are identical, what Brian is saying is that his Catback makes a bit more power on 3.5 than it does on a 3.0 thanks to the increase in displacement and Nissan NOT changing the Catback for the 3.5.

The Y-pipe itself on a 3.5 flows better than one on a 3.0, because the pre-cats are not in the actual y-pipe. So as I said before, the y-pipe has less of an effect on a 3.5 thanks to the pre-cat design than it does on a 3.0 where it can eliminate pre-cats.

there ya go.

Edit: Brian also told me they DO NOT dyno the catbacks, he told me it was not worth it, they only dyno Headers and Y-Pipes.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:46 AM

"So as I said before, the y-pipe has less of an effect on a 3.5 thanks to the pre-cat design than it does on a 3.0 where it can eliminate pre-cats. there ya go" upstatemax

I never disagreed regarding the y-pipe, besides pissing back and forth is only a means to feed an insecure ego, it doesn't help the original thread so have a good day out & done

Miksen hope you got something out of this! Because I certainly didn't
Old 02-28-2006, 01:37 PM
Cletus

another intake thread that ended up with people fighting about other stupid topics
Old 02-28-2006, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
another intake thread that ended up with people fighting about other stupid topics

Typical....

So what's new over in Kabul?
Old 02-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Cletus

joel, why would you hijack such a good informational thread?

nothing much, prison riots and stuff.
im past the 50% mark
Old 02-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Intakes => Mustangs => Headers => Catbacks => locked