5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

fogs will not turn on

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 06:59 PM

fogs will not turn on

They just stopped working tonight. i have the piaa plasma bulbs and was wondering has anyone heard of them blowing at the same time or would that be too much of a coinsidence? hope not, but i checked the in cabin fuse-it's fine. i did rewire fogs to come on with with parking lights and i'll check that tomarrow but was just trying to get some opinions/ideas before i have to get to the pain in the **** fog lights. sooo cold right now to be laying under my car to get to them but does'nt feel like my car without them ........i've had piaa's for about a year now..thanks to any who can help
Old 02-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's possible that they could've blown at the same time, but I doubt it. Definately check the re-wire, maybe something came undone
Old 02-27-2006, 07:47 PM

same thing happened here after i rewired my fogs, like long long time ago, so i just went and put it back the old way...but like month ago, i decided to give it another try, (rewire my fogs), and the reason was that my cables werent hooked well, they were too loose, and the wires werent touching each other well enough...so yeah give it a try 2morrow and see whats wrong...
good luck
huso
Old 02-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

mine blew a day apart. check the wiring if thats not get go to walmart and buy the cheapest H3 you can find. Put that in and see what happens
Old 02-27-2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by icewake
mine blew a day apart. check the wiring if thats not get go to walmart and buy the cheapest H3 you can find. Put that in and see what happens
thanks for reply guys. i still have stock bulbs but from what you guys said i'm really hoping it's just the rewire. too much to get to the fogs in this fridged temp...lol....but i guess i might have to.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by shift_2kmaxima
same thing happened here after i rewired my fogs, like long long time ago, so i just went and put it back the old way...but like month ago, i decided to give it another try, (rewire my fogs), and the reason was that my cables werent hooked well, they were too loose, and the wires werent touching each other well enough...so yeah give it a try 2morrow and see whats wrong...
good luck
huso
hey huso did u use quick splice connectors? I been running on rewired fogs (independently wired, not to corners) and no probs for 3 months....I used quick splices and didn't end up soldering...I mean the wires are in a very tight position, I doubt it will move or change overtime....just crossing my fingers one day that both my fogs will still turn on

anybody who had fog wires messed up...what did ya'll do?
Old 02-27-2006, 09:22 PM
大陆弟弟

If you used a wire tap, squeeze the tap more as it may not have punctured the wire enough.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:39 PM

If you Rewired your Fog lights check your Tailight Fuse...
Old 02-28-2006, 12:00 PM

well thanks again guys. i checked my rewire and it was fine;i used a wire tap and remember doing it twice before i was confident it would stay but i figured i'd check anyway because i could'nt see both fogs blowing at same time. i'm limited on access to tools which makes getting to the fogs even harder!! i actually found new curse words today getting to them without proper tools lol ....i also switced from 2k bump to 2k3 so had to rewire fogs and checked that;they were fine. finally got to the fog bulbs and you know what.... THEY BOTH BLEW AT THE SAME TIME!! As i put my old oem ones back in i was curseing maxima for the way they made the fogs (had mustangs before max, sooo much easier to work on) and of course piaa. i had them almost exactly one year to the day and both blown already!!. but then i looked at the way the stocks look and all of a sudden the fog lights were'nt that hard to get to and spending another 50on bulbs did'nt seem that bad....lol.....anyone know where i could get a warrantee on the piaa plasma's or others that look as good but won't blow so quick? thanks for the help once again guys.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:05 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by 2k0to2k3
well thanks again guys. i checked my rewire and it was fine;i used a wire tap and remember doing it twice before i was confident it would stay but i figured i'd check anyway because i could'nt see both fogs blowing at same time. i'm limited on accsess to tools which makes getting to the fogs even harder!! i actually found new curse words today getting to them without proper tools lol ....i also switced from 2k bump to 2k3 so had to rewire fogs and checked that;they were fine. finally got to the fog bulbs and you know what THEY BOTH BLEW AT THE SAME TIME!!
that totally blows...but u know what? i think its better that you found out the problem now...than running around tryin to figure out the wiring etc....at least now you know the re-wire is still in working order....and your fuses and relays are still working etc....

i just hate diagnosing a problem....well i don't mind...but it's when you run out of solutions to try...thats when it picks....glad everything worked out for you quick...
Old 02-28-2006, 12:26 PM

thanks for kind words and i totally understand what you are saying. i'm not as knowledgable as i make it seem lol. when i first pluged in stock light it did'nt work because it was'nt in the houseing which grounds it. lol i did start to panic at that point mind raceing on the fact that it must be some internal thing. oh no!!! why did i have to be cool and rewire!!!! lol , i decided to hook oem fog bulbs directly to the battery with ground and they worked so i immediately realized i forgot to ground it to test wireing on fog dah But what a scary 2 min before realizing.