5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cloth vs Leather, is maxima leather good leather?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 08:23 PM

I had leather in my previous car but had some good thoughts and bad the good thoughts that it defiantly looks nicer but not better then cloth

1. On summer time wearing shorts while going to the beach or when driveing for a while your A$$ becomes wet sticky and stinky lol.

2. on cold times the leather feels like you on ice sking your Butt off and ofcourse it will eventualy crack but i would stick with cloth it stays longer then leather and oh ya if you dont have leather like mercedes benz s500 with little air holes that is the bomb.

TopSpeed
Old 03-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'll have to echo some others here and say that the NeoSuede/MicroFibre cloth is awesome. I have the sand color and it the most pleasing cloth interior I have ever sat in. By far the highest quality cosmetic piece in the maxima, interior or exterior, IMHO.

Also, it's a 2002 and the seats look brand new. I highly doubt 4 year old leather seats would age this nicely.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:43 PM

I am on my third Max and I finally went to leather on my recent 03 purchase. I had a 2000 with 120k on it when I sold it and the cloth still looked great. I don't think you can wrong with either one.

I bought a loaded Max this time including leather because I plan on driving this car until the wheels fall off. The interior will hold up nicely with a little TLC and should look nice well past the payoff date. Once I finish paying this one off, it will be time for my 350Z.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95
Whats a first car? Maxima will be my fourth long term car...

I dont know how you just do the windows down thing in the summer. Holy hell, this last summer it was above 100 for 25 out of 30 days at one point. Thats just tooooo ****ing hot!
I'm 17, it's my first car. And, well, doesn't do much for the gas mileage, but A/C on, and going, it works, but I still like my windows down.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:38 AM

thanks for the replies guys, if I found a great deal on a cloth car I could always add aftermarket leather I guess
Old 03-05-2006, 09:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have heathed leather seats. My car is 3 years old. They still look and feel great. I would highly recomend leather. Much better than cloth seats. Is you live in extreme weather conditions, cloth is better..
Old 03-05-2006, 12:35 PM

Personally, I don't like leather seats. Sure they are comfortable, easier to keep clean, and look really nice but there are quite a few downfalls compaired to cloth:

1. makes a lot more noise
2. too hot in summer (sometimes even too hot to touch)
3. too cold in winter (ice cold)
4. spend $$ to keep it maintained

Mainly, 2 and 3 kill it for me. I got my max loaded with all options but leather seats (including heated seats). The cloth ones are really nice though... very soft and have yet to show signs of wear.

However its good to hear everyone have positive opinions on the leather!
Old 03-05-2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by trigger005
Personally, I don't like leather seats. Sure they are comfortable, easier to keep clean, and look really nice but there are quite a few downfalls compaired to cloth:

Mainly, 2 and 3 kill it for me. I got my max loaded with all options but leather seats (including heated seats). The cloth ones are really nice though... very soft and have yet to show signs of wear.

what noise are you talking about? my leather hasnt many any noise yet, if i do, ill let you know. tinted windows takes care of numer 2, and heated seats take care of number 3. it takes like 10 dollar (meguiers leather care) bottle, that will last you for couple years if your like me that cleans it only once in a while. so yeah, why would you get cloth when you can get leather? most people just dont find it necessary to get leather because its not worth the money i guess. me, i dont care about the money, but leather is better than cloth for many reasons.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:56 PM
The Boy Wonder

Leather makes it look so much nicer, its easier to clean, you're going to have to keep it clean obviously but if you like Maximas enough to join a forum cleaning and condtioning your leather won't be a chore

Im looking for a leather 6 speed as of now, there are so many cloth examples all over the place. But after being in leather I don't want to downgrade to cloth.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:20 PM

I have leather, its nice but yeah their right about it being really hot/cold, get the meridian package ? i think thats the one that includes heated seats and mirrors. the a/c is good, doesnt do much for the gas mileage thats for sure but my gf has an 02 altima with cloth seats and they are very comfortable and look nice
Old 03-05-2006, 10:20 PM

My '03 has the frost leather, at first I was concerned it would get dirty too quick but I wipe it down with a damp cloth every time I wash it and once a month treat it with Connely leather cleaner and conditoner. When I first had the car the leather seemed stiff and hard. after using this stuff it is now very soft and smooth. Not to mention the car smells like a leather store now. I like the cloth too but i hate how it gets the shiny spots after it starts to wear

The only problem I have seemed to notice is where the bolsters are the stitching seems to have pulled in the holes. Has anyone else had this problem / does it seem to get worse?
Old 03-05-2006, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Teufelhunden
what noise are you talking about? my leather hasnt many any noise yet, if i do, ill let you know. tinted windows takes care of numer 2, and heated seats take care of number 3. it takes like 10 dollar (meguiers leather care) bottle, that will last you for couple years if your like me that cleans it only once in a while. so yeah, why would you get cloth when you can get leather? most people just dont find it necessary to get leather because its not worth the money i guess. me, i dont care about the money, but leather is better than cloth for many reasons.
OK... you say "leather is better than cloth for many reasons" but you dont actually list any reasons...
In fact you kind of just confirmed my points.

leather seats make noise when you move around in it.
as far as I know, its illegal to tint your front windows and not exactly cheap to get them tinted anyway. i love tinted windows but they are a bi+ch to drive with at night...
thats $10 (and time to maintain it) more than cloth.

or if u wanna look at it another way

cloth:
no need for tinted windows.
no need for heated seats.
no need to spend time and $$ on maintenance
will not make any noise no matter how you sit or move around in it.

The only things that really make it better are what I said originally... and also what DesiGLE said:

1. Looks a lot nicer (but that open to opinion)
2. easier to clean
Old 03-06-2006, 03:56 AM

I have a 97 w/leather and theres no tears at all and nothing seems worn. It pretty much looks brand new. Not bad for a 9 year old car.
Only thing i hate is the seats are freeeeezing when you got to sit down early mornings during winter.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:17 PM

Anybody have experience with repairing leather tears/marks in your max?
Old 03-08-2006, 10:22 AM

I have been through 5 cars 2 maximas and all i can say is leather rocks!

chas
Old 03-08-2006, 10:51 AM

The leather in the maxima is good. But it is preference. Do you like leather or cloth?
Old 03-08-2006, 11:13 AM

I've got 5 year old (black) leather seats and I'm quite happy. The back seats are pristine and shot gun looks nearly new.

The drivers seat, on the other hand, looks a little worn but still great.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by acMAX
I've got 5 year old (black) leather seats and I'm quite happy. The back seats are pristine and shot gun looks nearly new.

The drivers seat, on the other hand, looks a little worn but still great.
One of the many great things about leather is that you can have the entire car professionally refinished for about $50-$60 bucks or if just one seat, just take some black shoe polish and give it a quick rub then some leather condtioner and your looking like new again... Cloth... awwww... can't do that... Once worn, always worn.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by jyobs
Anybody have experience with repairing leather tears/marks in your max?
Just in case your Google key is broken.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

You can lead a man to a computer but you can't make him search lol
Old 03-09-2006, 10:14 AM

i have a 2k2 A33 6spd... damn the leather is sexy...lol no cracks or anything and well its just sexy if its black leather.... P.s. i need to knw if anyone is having problems wit da leather...?!??!
Old 03-09-2006, 04:52 PM

My dad just got a 2006 Honda Pilot with "cloth"... and with that cloth he got, I'd take it over leather any day ! its soooooo sweet, just as comfry as leather seats, but look better ! Its almost like its suede
Old 03-09-2006, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by X-Vert
My dad just got a 2006 Honda Pilot with "cloth"... and with that cloth he got, I'd take it over leather any day ! its soooooo sweet, just as comfry as leather seats, but look better ! Its almost like its suede
62 posts on this thread and the leather ~ vs~ cloth debate goes on... Got to love freedom of speach!

Wait 'till the Honduh cloth gets a 30K miles on it... My '00 Max SE (cloth) was nice too but try having a dog in the back seat or a friend spills something... or... whatever... He'll wish he had leather!
Old 03-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Hoooper

Originally Posted by trigger005

1) what noise? ive never heard my seats make any noise
2) just dont get black leather, my tan leather is never that hot.
3) if its that cold, wear pants and you dont notice+heated seats fix that
4) and when you spill something on your cloth seats thats colored, you just leave it like that and dont clean it right? carpet/cloth cleaner costs $, and with leather seats you just wipe that spill off, cloth you get to drive for a bit with that fat colored stain on the seat.

leather seats are the ownage, why do you think they come in all the more expensive cars and none of the cheap ones???

Old 03-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Pointy Elbows

I love the look of the 02-03 leather. If I could find some frost leather for a good price, I'd swap mine out.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by WasatchY2KMax
62 posts on this thread and the leather ~ vs~ cloth debate goes on... Got to love freedom of speach!

Wait 'till the Honduh cloth gets a 30K miles on it... My '00 Max SE (cloth) was nice too but try having a dog in the back seat or a friend spills something... or... whatever... He'll wish he had leather!
thats why its leased
Old 03-09-2006, 06:51 PM

From what I have seen of the leather in my Max, I would say the leather is of good quality. When I got my '00 GLE in November, the car had 84,000 miles on it and the leather looked very well taken care of. It wasnt all shiny like some car leather seats get and it had very few wrinkle or creases on the driver's side; the passenger and rear seats look almost new. Plus, it still has that great leather odor that greets you when you first open the door. The car didn't even have tinted windows (does now) and the leather isnt even faded. I have seen other Maxi of the same year, and their seats have been trashed and no where near as clean.

Gus
2000MaxGLE
Old 03-12-2006, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by X-Vert
thats why its leased
I would think that if you try to return a lease car with a big stain on the seats you are going to be penalized.

Leather is packaged with climate control in the Maxima and they both great options in my opinion. After comparing my 98 SE (cloth) with my wives 98 GLE I have decided I want leather in my next max, it looks great and easy cleanup is a big plus when you have kids.