5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

window tint

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 11:59 AM

Heya gang,

What was the consensus on the window tint issue?? Is it better to tint over that 'dot matrix' area on the back window or cut around it??? I talked to a couple tinters... both had differing views. One did not want to tint the dot matrix because it will not look perfect and will eventually peel. The other guy wanted to tint over it and said the first guy was full of sh*t.

Who do I believe? I know we talked/argued about this issue in the past. I cannot seem to find that thread amongst the 500 or so hits I got on a search.

Can anyone in the Metro Toronto area recomend a tint place??

Thanks,
rerunn.
Old 06-11-2001, 12:07 PM

I had mine done over the dot matrix and then resealed with a heat gun. It hasn't started peeling yet. Most places will give a warranty on their work so it doesn't matter.
Old 06-11-2001, 12:22 PM

i just tinted my car over the dot area looks good. i got it done on sunday but around the edges there are little spaces where theres air.. is there a way to fix it? or is it just normal cus i see it on many cars. i got sunroof and all around for $130.
Old 06-11-2001, 01:09 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I had my spotty dotties tinted over. People say it affects the radio reception, but I didn't notice any difference.
Old 06-11-2001, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by rerunn
Heya gang,

What was the consensus on the window tint issue?? Is it better to tint over that 'dot matrix' area on the back window or cut around it??? I talked to a couple tinters... both had differing views. One did not want to tint the dot matrix because it will not look perfect and will eventually peel. The other guy wanted to tint over it and said the first guy was full of sh*t.

Who do I believe? I know we talked/argued about this issue in the past. I cannot seem to find that thread amongst the 500 or so hits I got on a search.

Thanks,
rerunn.

The dot matrix should not pose a problem being that most cars have them. My tint has not pealed jet and I have had it for about a year. Make sure when you get your tint, you ask the guy if he does one piece installations on the rear window. If not he sucks and you are going to end up with a really crappy looking tint job. Thats my two cents
Old 06-11-2001, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
I had my spotty dotties tinted over. People say it affects the radio reception, but I didn't notice any difference.
I heard the same thing so I took it back and had the guy cut it around the dots. So far so good.

On a sidenote, do you guys get bubbles around the defroster lines?
Old 06-11-2001, 01:22 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by mbcp_tdogg
On a sidenote, do you guys get bubbles around the defroster lines?
Haven't noticed any yet.
Old 06-11-2001, 01:35 PM

I have my app't this Wed. I'm going with non-metallic, but I'm undecided on the tint level. I'm thinking of going to the legal limit, 35%.
Old 06-11-2001, 01:57 PM

If it's non-metallic, then it shouldn't affect radio reception...

(unless, of course, it's a non-metallic color but still conducts)

-Tom Z.
Old 06-11-2001, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by rerunn

Thanks,
rerunn.
There's this one Toronto-based import forum that recommends FX Auto ... http://www.fxauto.com ... regardless of tint shops, ask them if you can see a car that they've recently installed tints on to get an idea of the quality of their work

Tint King -- i haven't heard too many good stories about these guys

Ziebart -- i had my integra done there 2 years ago, however, they did the back window in strips instead of one-piece (same with my friend's civic)

Hope this helps...cheers
Old 06-11-2001, 04:34 PM

I have 35% charcoal metallic all around (excluding sunroof) which includes the dots at the top of the rear glass. NO problem with radio, at all. And, I've seen cars with tint that did NOT go up into the dot area and it looks odd. From the interior view looking out, as well as exterior looking in, you will get a much more finished and nicer looking application if you take it all the way up.

And do make sure it is one piece. My installer also told me to let the car sit in the sun for 3 days for the sun to facilitate curing of the tint. I did and he was right. The work I got was outstanding. I'm in Nashville, TN, so, if you're close by and want a referral, let me know.
Old 06-11-2001, 06:20 PM

All window tint with a warranty should be a metallic film. This is what reflects the heat and keeps the color in the film for life. Tint over the dot matrix. There is no guarantee that there will be no bubbles showing over the dot matrix, but if done correctly it will not peel. And I repeat, ONLY BUY METALLIZED FILM!!!
Old 06-11-2001, 06:40 PM
JET Speed Lab

i had 35% tint on my previous car, and it was like nothing was even on my windows. so i told myself to tint my next car with 20%, or some 20% charcoal tint so its harder to see inside durring the day! As for the back, i had mine done in 2 pieces and it looked like one. what ever tint you choose get one with a life time warranty thing, cause in 5-6 years it'll turn purple and you'll need to re-tint it.
i've done my research
Old 06-11-2001, 07:13 PM

Tint

Lluminar Titanium tint at 15%. Legal limit in Fl. is 35% also...but with our sunlight and heat you still can see through it, so I went darker. I had 5% on Transam and had to put windows down at night to see on unlit roads needless to say everything (dash) reflected in it also at night. Someone on this org had used a product that is a blue liquid and you rub it over the dot area prior to tinting. It fills in the space and allows tint to completely adhere. It was around 50.00 a bottle though, kinda expensive, and should be found under the search. I know a guy who painted that area with Lexan?? paint and it matches tint but still kinda see through. Good luck....
Old 06-11-2001, 07:18 PM

full-metallic, not on dots

I didn't get the dots tinted due to 2 tint places telling me the tint would bubble there after a few years. I don't notice any problems with light at night or in daytime between the 2 areas from inside or out. It all blends together.
Old 06-11-2001, 07:48 PM

Re: Tint

killrwheels: Maybe it's just me but your Max really looks black in the sig pic. Looks great though. Oh well...
Old 06-11-2001, 08:03 PM
JET Speed Lab

Re: full-metallic, not on dots

Originally posted by mike_bresnahan
I didn't get the dots tinted due to 2 tint places telling me the tint would bubble there after a few years. I don't notice any problems with light at night or in daytime between the 2 areas from inside or out. It all blends together.
if you want to re-tint it after a couple years, when removing the old tint, it might damage the antenna on the back windsheild, along with those defroster lines. so thats one thing you should know.
Old 06-11-2001, 08:23 PM

Metallic tint is the best tint to use.
Don't clean w/ anything but soap and water; ammonia based products contribute to the purple tint or cause it outright.
An installer worth anything can remove old tint w/ minimal to no damage to existing defroster grids.

Shop around, ask to see examples of their work. Get an experienced installer.

srm
Old 06-11-2001, 09:25 PM

Same same..

I put on a 35% non-metallic tint on my car, dots'n'all. Haven't had any problems yet. Radio reception is fine.
Old 06-12-2001, 06:21 AM

I used the mirror tint and had my dots tinted over. No problems but it also comes with a lifetime warranty so if it peels, it goes back for a new tint job!
Old 06-12-2001, 03:28 PM

Re: Re: Tint

Originally posted by mbcp_tdogg
killrwheels: Maybe it's just me but your Max really looks black in the sig pic. Looks great though. Oh well...
Honestly, that is why I bought it. I am a pro-black car lover and have had all 6 prior cars in black. I hated cleaning them though....and the blue was close enough to look black, metallic which cleans up easier, and I was looking for a change. Everybody loves it and it is so exclusive in my area, I have yet to see another on the road...look at the front closely and you will see the blue. Maybe I'll replace my sig soon also....
Old 01-30-2002, 11:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I live in Nashville and i want to get my windows tinted but i want a someone proffesinal to doit for a good price so i wouldnt mess up my windows so do u recommend somebody here in nashville if so please provide me with the address or the phone number.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2002, 12:33 PM

I have formula one tint all around with the back windows tinted over the dot... full metalic... no problem with the radio... well.. I don't listen to radio enough to notcied anything different... but so far so good.. have the tint for almost 1 year.. no problem with peeling