5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Electric Window Lag!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 11:35 AM

Electric Window Lag!!!

Hey guys I don't know if that ever happened to you on your 5.5 gen max, but my right side, right window electric switch is "tripping". When I pull the switch all the way up so the window would close up by itself, the window goes all the way up and then drops down by (1/4 of window size) by it self.
Do you guys know what I'm talking about? Does that happened to anyone else?
Tried to take it apart, but couldn't fix the problem. Don't know what causes it.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

maybe you need to put some silicon on the side becuase it may be sticking
Old 03-02-2006, 01:50 PM
Cletus

the window is hitting some kind of resistance and backing itself off in case its your hand or neck.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:20 PM

yea the same thing is happening to me ima take it to the dealership sometime next week to find out what the problem is
Old 03-02-2006, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by icewake
maybe you need to put some silicon on the side becuase it may be sticking
Yeah it was dry when I took it apart. So those things might be sticking if they are lacking that silicon?
Old 03-02-2006, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by latinojerza
yea the same thing is happening to me ima take it to the dealership sometime next week to find out what the problem is
Let me know on what they'll tell you.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:13 PM

I'm not sure, but i read somewhere that it may be a limit switch. When windows closes all the way it should activate the switch to indicate that its all the way up.. If the switch does not work, it thinks its not all the way up and tries to move it higher, but it can't, so it thinks that there's an object in the way and pulls down... ;-D
Old 03-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Hoooper

Originally Posted by shurik
Yeah it was dry when I took it apart. So those things might be sticking if they are lacking that silicon?
not sticking, but giving enough resistance that the window thinks theres something in there so it backs off. try lubing it and try it again.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:50 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=440739
Old 03-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Disappointing ppl since 1980

You need to reset the window motor. I did it, and it literally took me 3 minutes.

There's a procedure on how to do it, by using this nice little button at the top of the screen called 'search'.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by CanadianAlien
You need to reset the window motor. I did it, and it literally took me 3 minutes.

There's a procedure on how to do it, by using this nice little button at the top of the screen called 'search'.
Thanks for the info. Ohhh yeah I did try to search and couldn't find that thread. You mean search in google right? yeah couldn't find it there. Thanks anyway.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:32 PM

Like the link but a little more detailed. I found this post and copied it when I did mine. Not sure who posted it origianally. Worked for me

the drivers door window one-touch up function for the window was not working properly. The window would go up to the top
and then retreat about 5 inches back down again. This problem is due to the limit switch needing to be reset which at first
I thought would be a considerable job (to take off the door panel etc.) but ended up being literally a 2 minute job as the
door panel can remain in place. My dealer wanted $85 CDN for the switch reset which I knew was a rip off before I found the

Step 1: Pry the plastic cap up off the bottom centre of the door pull handle and remove the single philips screw.

Step 2: Remove the whole switch panel (in which the door pull handle sits) by prying it up from the back end either with a
flat edged screwdriver or table knife (under cloth) or by hand which is what I did. It is just clipped in so should come out
relatively easily sliding it up at the back and then pulling it back.

You can now see the inside of the door from where the switch finishing plate sat. You can leave the wiring all attached and
simply hang the switch and handle plastic assembly to one side so you can see the inside of the door.

Look inside towards the front bottom of the door behind the plastic vapour barrier you will see a small black switch. It
almost looks like a black pan screw head. This is the reset switch but there is a sequence to now doing the actual reset
procedure. The switch doesn't really feel like one when you press it through the plastic liner which incidentally you don't
need to cut (at least I didn't have to). It is a switch that is only on when you are pressing it otherwise when released
it is off.

STEP 3: Make sure the window is closed (up) completely. Turn the ignition on so the windows are receiving power.

a) Press the reset switch (and keep it pressed in) and open (down) the window completely (manually -NOT with AUTO ONE
TOUCH DOWN FUNCTION).
b) Release the reset switch. Then close the window completely (manually only - NOT AUTO UP).
c) The limit switch is now reset. Easy!!!

This procedure worked for me straight away as I hope it will for you should you have this annoying problem.
The Nissan manual does caution you not to use the one touch UP-DOWN function during this procedure so be warned.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:48 PM

If you ever remove/unhook your battery ect. Always make sure your windows/sunroof are in the full closed position. If they are not it can cause the motors to loose there memory and they will need to be reset.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:38 PM

Now that's what I'm talking about a good explanation. Very nice wavedog. thanks.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thats some useful info thanks wavedog!!!
Old 03-04-2006, 10:22 AM

very good info im going to go try this out right now
Old 03-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Disappointing ppl since 1980

Originally Posted by shurik
Thanks for the info. Ohhh yeah I did try to search and couldn't find that thread. You mean search in google right? yeah couldn't find it there. Thanks anyway.
What were your search terms? How many variations of your search terms did you try?

I tried "window auto-up" and only searching within the 5th gen forum, and my answer was found on the 3rd result from the top.

(http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?searchid=390493)

Remember, you gotta think like a search engine, and try the typos too.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:23 PM

Is leaving the windows open during a battery unhook the only thing that causes this problem? If not, does this problem tend to repeat itself down the road? I am looking at buying a 5.5 gen that had this same problem and want to know if I should pass on it.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:17 PM

did you fix it?
Old 03-25-2006, 07:47 PM

I'll do mine when it'll get warmer agian, and when I'll have time. Did anyone tried this after reading these tips? Please let us know. thanks.
I'll be doing mine soon, shouldn't take too long.