5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Warm Weather Starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 08:46 AM
99silvermax

I just got a new 2001 SE 5-spd. I noticed that the car is hard to start after a short time of being off. I happened to look in the owner's manual and it says during the summer, to "fully depress the gas pedal" while starting if the engine has been sitting for less than 30 minutes between runnings. This is only for the 5-spd. Uh, Why? I tried to search, but could not find anything. Thanks.

Old 06-12-2001, 10:12 AM

A spin-off to that question that I have is "Should you always make sure your A/C is off before starting your car?" I've heard it is bad and can cause it to not start well.
Old 06-12-2001, 10:14 AM

I have noticed that it doesn't start as cleanly if the clutch isn't pushed completely totally every bit down to the floor. But I have never had to hit the gas pedal. Our cars shouldn't be affected by that I wouldn't have thought. Hmmmm.
Old 06-12-2001, 11:02 AM
99silvermax

Confused.......

Look at your owner's manual under staring and let me know what you think. If it is just my car doing it, maybe it needs to be looked at. It doesn't happen every time (didn't happen at lunch today), but when it does, it is kind of embarrassing. I really don't understand why it applies to 5-spd's only???

Old 06-12-2001, 11:17 AM

Re: Confused.......

Originally posted by 99silvermax
Look at your owner's manual under staring and let me know what you think. If it is just my car doing it, maybe it needs to be looked at. It doesn't happen every time (didn't happen at lunch today), but when it does, it is kind of embarrassing. I really don't understand why it applies to 5-spd's only???
Unrelated comment:
I was checking out your sig and it said "previously 99silvermax." Aren't you still 99silvermax?
Old 06-12-2001, 11:20 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

almost all of us have had this

we've been complaining about it for 2 years (2K's came out in 5/99). I've been diag-ed 3 times, nothing found. So have others. It seems to be a overly fuel rich mixture. I was told that our plugs are getting fuel fouled.

All I can tell you is that it will stop at about 5K. it will happen less and less until almost never. A nissan v6 engine can take up to 10K to 'settle-in', even tho its broke in at 1K. Some people never reported the problem after 3K. and it mostly affects us in the south

I know, it sucks, but just remember, its getting stronger every day (up to 5-6K) and will last up to 200K. Its a trade off.
Old 07-01-2001, 12:51 AM
bylss

Re: Confused.......

Originally posted by 99silvermax
I have the exact same problem. the car starts cleanly when it's cold, but when it's warm, it sounds like the engine's having a tuff time turning over. and my car has 20k mi, too. did you find a solution?

Old 07-01-2001, 12:57 AM

Originally posted by maximaman69
A spin-off to that question that I have is "Should you always make sure your A/C is off before starting your car?" I've heard it is bad and can cause it to not start well.
I think this stems from the days of "stupid" cars with carbs and no computers and say ford on the back etc...... You will notice when starting your car with the ac on the ac clicks on then when your actually turning over the motor and starting it the ac is clicked off then clicks back on once its all started up... Try it out

Adam
Old 07-01-2001, 12:59 AM

i've had the same problems on and off as well. but i have an auto, so it may or may not be the same thing. there's not too much to starting an auto. inconsistent tho. definitely embarassing when it happens. as for break in, i'm at 34k and i still get it once in a while.
Old 07-01-2001, 02:03 AM
bylss

Originally posted by 2000MaximaSE

I think this stems from the days of "stupid" cars with carbs and no computers and say ford on the back etc...... You will notice when starting your car with the ac on the ac clicks on then when your actually turning over the motor and starting it the ac is clicked off then clicks back on once its all started up... Try it out

Adam
yea, i've done that b4. but usually i leave the a/c off when is start the car and it still doesn't start cleanly. it gets on my nerves when it happens. maybe i should have it checked since it's still under warranty. l8z

Old 07-01-2001, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by bylss

maybe i should have it checked since it's still under warranty. l8z
good luck
Old 07-01-2001, 10:12 AM

I have an auto

and have the SAME problem. If its a short time between starts, when I try to restart, the engine won't "ignite" to start. It just turns over and over and over. If I stop and wait a second, it typically will start. In all honesty, it's HUGELY FREAKING embarrassing considering I'm driving a brand new georgeous car and someone hears it not starting in a split second. The manual may say for 5 speed only but my auto has done it since day 1! If anyone knows why, please let me know.
Old 07-01-2001, 05:36 PM

Me too! Me too!

When I start the car in the morining, it starts really strong and the rpm shoots up to 3000 as it starts. It sounds awesome!

BUT,

when the car has been sitting for less than an hour or so, it starts WEAK!

it goes, putt putt putt, and then starts really weak. The rpm goes up to only like 1500.

What the hell is going on?

It is a flagship!@

My sister's 97 ACcord and my brother's 98 SE starts strong everytime.
Old 07-01-2001, 06:16 PM

Re: Me too! Me too!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ArcticMax
[B]When I start the car in the morining, it starts really strong and the rpm shoots up to 3000 as it starts. It sounds awesome!

I love the point about starting strong in the morning. It does start kinda like a rocket and rev up there. Kinda sounds mean in the morning. If I'm ever not looking forward to the rush hour drive that takes me an hour to make, I always get in the mood after I hear that RPM start!
Old 07-01-2001, 07:39 PM

Re: Me too! Me too!

Originally posted by ArcticMax
When I start the car in the morining, it starts really strong and the rpm shoots up to 3000 as it starts. It sounds awesome!

BUT,

when the car has been sitting for less than an hour or so, it starts WEAK!

it goes, putt putt putt, and then starts really weak. The rpm goes up to only like 1500.

What the hell is going on?

It is a flagship!@

My sister's 97 ACcord and my brother's 98 SE starts strong everytime.
This happens to me to...I love it when it starts cold, but when it hasn't been sitting too long it doesn't start right away. What is up with Nissan?
Old 07-02-2001, 12:20 AM
bylss

Vroom!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by maximaman69
[B]
Originally posted by ArcticMax
I love the point about starting strong in the morning. It does start kinda like a rocket and rev up there. Kinda sounds mean in the morning. If I'm ever not looking forward to the rush hour drive that takes me an hour to make, I always get in the mood after I hear that RPM start!
same here! every morning it's like my car's fresh and it feels good!! then 30 minutes later it's like doom and gloom starting.

i'm gonna take my car down to nissan, actually to have my washer fluid checked out. water's like oozing out instead of shooting. i hear the pump working, but still. i also noticed some green stuff coming out, too. maybe the tubes are clogged w/ that stuff. so, i'll also ask about the igntion prob.