5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HLSD axle replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 11:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

HLSD axle replacement

Hey guys, I'll try not to make this too long....
Basically, I had my passenger side wheel bearing go (already read the thread on it) and took it to the place I get my oil changed and everything, they are trustworty. My car is an 02 Maxima, 6speed w/lsd, I have 61,500 miles, over nissan factory warranty. My question is: Is there a difference between axles on lsd and non-lsd equiped vehicles? I ask because once my bearing was replaced, while the hub ect. was still apart he noticed that the treads on the end of the axle were stripped. At this point I actually look at it and couldn't believe what I was seeing, my first thought was that they stripped the threads, but he said that someone had it apart before b/c there were codder pins missing, anyway he said that probably what happened is that the nut on the axle was over torqued. Also, I visually inspected it myself and the stripped threads were in the middle of the threading meaning the threads towards the end of the axle weren't stripped. Very weird. They ordered an axle from 3 different vendors and none of them fit, said it doesn't line up right. Was going to be $130 for a full axle but now they had to order the part from nissan and it is going to be about $250 for a half axle, the full one would be almost $500.
Sorry this is so long, If anyone knows about this type of issue or any info on axles please let me know, This 250 wheelbearing job might end up being an $700 nightmare. Thanks in advance
Old 03-16-2006, 11:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't think so. the HLSD is in the transmission itself
Old 03-16-2006, 05:28 PM
VQ Wizard

No .
Old 03-16-2006, 06:27 PM

So your saying that the fitment of the axle in the differential is the same for both lsd and non lsd?
Old 03-16-2006, 07:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If the stripped threads weren't in the spot that the nut has to be torqued on to, then they can just re-thread that part. They would come off ahead even by charging you just 1/2 an hour to do it. Tell them this is what you want done and save your money.

Just to add:
I'm not sure about the 5th gens, but we swapped axles on a 9? before, and the splines where slightly different. Same amount of splines, but IIRC the lsd had slightly longer threads before it was all the way in. (Maybe it was slightly larger in diameter, I can't quite remember.) Anyway's we cross referenced the vin # and it said it wasn't lsd, but when we took the other axle and turned it, it did end up being a lsd. that was a 3rd or 4th gen though.

BTW: Don't go to the dealer, they will rape you and not even offer a reach around. They wanted nearly $550 for a new one. After joking for a minute I asked them "really, how much is it" that laughed a little and they told me $550. Then they told me they usually order remans from the parts store for people who don't want to pay it. Carquest, formally Big A's has reman's for $99 (List around $160) and I'm sure foreign car parts isn't far off from that price either.

Like I already said. Have them re-thread it. If they're worth a dam they'll have the tools. It takes 5 minutes tops. 1/2 an hour would make the tech happy.
Or tow it out of there and go to sears, buy a torque wrench (about $75), cotter pins ($.10), 20 or 30 something mm socket (not sure between $5 and $50, all my tools are Matco) and a tap @ die kit ($50-100) with the money you will save the tools will end up free.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:49 AM

Thanx for the info 5thgenmaxima.

The threads were actually stripped at the part where the nut would be torqued onto. I mentioned to them the other day about what you said regarding a re-thread and they told me it would'nt be possible for that very reason.

I definitely didn't want to go the dealership b/c they wanted 430 jus for the wheelbearing, they would have a had a field day w/this issue. Anyway the axle from Nissan should be in today and it won't be much labor at all b/c everything is already apart. I'm going to try and get pictures of the axle when I pick up the car. Thanks again.