5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

help with tcu work please

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 04:54 PM

i got the tsb for the automatics' tcu. according to the manufacture's date, i should qualify for the upgrade, but the dealer gave me all this crap about $70 just to check if it's covered under warranty.
is this normal? it can't really be this hard to get warranty work done.
Old 06-12-2001, 04:58 PM

You not suppose to pay for the warranty work, not even a cent! I got mine done without paying and Nissan is going to pay the dealer, not you.
Old 06-12-2001, 06:01 PM
Got Bent?

That is total BS! There is no charge for warranty work.
Old 06-12-2001, 06:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

they do that all the time in case they couldnt find any problem...which means they get no money from Nissan and they gonna ask u for it. do u notice any problem with ur max? mine's 2k and according to the date, she is also qualified for the work. but I havent noticed any problem so far.

btw, the tsb is applied if such case exists....which means only happens in certain vehicles. otherwise, it would be a recall than a tsb

Originally posted by serin
i got the tsb for the automatics' tcu. according to the manufacture's date, i should qualify for the upgrade, but the dealer gave me all this crap about $70 just to check if it's covered under warranty.
is this normal? it can't really be this hard to get warranty work done.
Old 06-12-2001, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
they do that all the time in case they couldnt find any problem...which means they get no money from Nissan and they gonna ask u for it. do u notice any problem with ur max? mine's 2k and according to the date, she is also qualified for the work. but I havent noticed any problem so far.

btw, the tsb is applied if such case exists....which means only happens in certain vehicles. otherwise, it would be a recall than a tsb

i figured as much. i just didn't know that they'd charge you just to check it out.
as for the problem, i didn't notice anything unusual until i read the tsb, then i started paying attention to the 1-2 shift. my car does exhibit a lag, tho it still shifts smoothly. i don't even know if it's worth getting into this mess.
Old 06-12-2001, 06:23 PM
Got Bent?

They should not charge you to check out a problem regardless of whether it is there or not. If they are doing that, I suggest you call up Nissan NA and tell them about these guys or try another dealer. The car is under warranty and if you think there is a problem, they have to check it out...
Old 06-12-2001, 06:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

they charged me for checking a fan rattling...they said that thet have to ID the problem...I just showed them by turning the fan to the highest. well, tell u the truth, they charge nissan for that much (or maybe even more) money to locate the problem. If the problem doesnt exist, then they spent time on nothing and they will turn back to ya for it.

have u tried to floor ur car? the problem should be very obvious and u will hear it and feel it.

PM Littledog...I think he had this problem before and he is the one told me about this symptom.

i figured as much. i just didn't know that they'd charge you just to check it out.
as for the problem, i didn't notice anything unusual until i read the tsb, then i started paying attention to the 1-2 shift. my car does exhibit a lag, tho it still shifts smoothly. i don't even know if it's worth getting into this mess.
Old 06-12-2001, 06:44 PM

if i can hear it and feel it, i may not even have this problem. it's just a hesitation more than anything.
there's a half second before 2nd engages. not like 3 to 4

and yeah, i've been flooring it all day long.
Old 06-12-2001, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
PM Littledog...
Why me...?! j/k

Serin, it occurs more when the car's cold. Try leaving the car overnight and floor it the first thing in the morning after you start it. If you have the problem you can definitly feel it and hear it. If you can't feel nor hear it, I would say don't worry about it. Sometimes I think the org is evil coz it gives you information on the problems that we may have and after reading the TSBs, it would make you notice the problem which you won't before. If you feel your car's normal, the don't worry about it.
Old 06-12-2001, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by littledog

Why me...?! j/k

Serin, it occurs more when the car's cold. Try leaving the car overnight and floor it the first thing in the morning after you start it. If you have the problem you can definitly feel it and hear it. If you can't feel nor hear it, I would say don't worry about it. Sometimes I think the org is evil coz it gives you information on the problems that we may have and after reading the TSBs, it would make you notice the problem which you won't before. If you feel your car's normal, the don't worry about it.
evil?? why i oughta...
Old 06-13-2001, 06:32 AM

I started to pay close attention and noticed a delay in shifts so I took it to my dealership, Glendale Nissan, and they are replacing tcu plus doing the trunk clips no proplem.
They didnt ask for anything no deposit at all.

Best regards,
Fast Walker