5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Creeking noise on rev

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 05:41 PM
And... I'm out

Creeking noise on rev

Whenever I rev my engine, I get a creeking noise as the RPMs are dropping. I am still under my 5 year 60,000 mile warrenty and really want to know if this is an internal engien problem. I am at 58,3xx miles and if this is an internal problem then I need to get it to the shop to get a replacment. I asked a few guys at advanced auto parts and they said it doesn't sound like anything that would be coming from outside the engine so I figured that it must be internal. Called of Nissan and they said I was still under my 5 year warrenty. It happense sometims, when coming to a stop, or when just reving my engine. One of the guys asked if I had ever hit redline. I haven't but that question may be an answer to you what he may have thought it was. Anyway, thank you for all the input. Hopefully schduling an appointment within the next week.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Merlyn
Whenever I rev my engine, I get a creeking noise as the RPMs are dropping. It happense sometims, when coming to a stop, or when just reving my engine. .

It almost sounds like the suspension causing the noise. Sit in the car with the windows up and engine off. Have a friend shake the car in all different directions and listen for a noise similar to what you here when the engine is revved.

Another idea is to have someone rev your engine for you while you listen for the noise with the hood up. It may be easier to hear that way.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by dch95
It almost sounds like the suspension causing the noise. Sit in the car with the windows up and engine off. Have a friend shake the car in all different directions and listen for a noise similar to what you here when the engine is revved.

Another idea is to have someone rev your engine for you while you listen for the noise with the hood up. It may be easier to hear that way.
Does it do it while your sitting at a stand still or only while your moving?
Old 03-22-2006, 03:01 AM
And... I'm out

It does it both... I had read on here about creeks from suspension, so I sat still... and I have even tested it at high speeds and low... if I sit in 2nd gear, let off everything clutch / gas / brake, and I roll, the creek just goes (as the RPMs are dropping), if I am crusiing at 50 MPH, no creeking, I stick it in neutral rev, as it hits peak then comes down it creeks, again harder to hear when driving, had people look under the hood as I did it, they said it was internal... but all in all, no matter whether I am moving, sitting, or rolling, if the RPMs are dropping, it creeks..
Old 03-22-2006, 11:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Merlyn
It does it both... I had read on here about creeks from suspension, so I sat still... and I have even tested it at high speeds and low... if I sit in 2nd gear, let off everything clutch / gas / brake, and I roll, the creek just goes (as the RPMs are dropping), if I am crusiing at 50 MPH, no creeking, I stick it in neutral rev, as it hits peak then comes down it creeks, again harder to hear when driving, had people look under the hood as I did it, they said it was internal... but all in all, no matter whether I am moving, sitting, or rolling, if the RPMs are dropping, it creeks..

check tensioner pulley and tightening screw on that assembly.
also check Power Steering pump, etc ...