5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

P0507 Idle Control System RPM high ... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 12:01 PM

P0507 Idle Control System RPM high ..solved

Thanks to Steven88 my missing troubles are gone, by replacing the coil packs, while the intake manifold was off I also sprayed it with throttle body cleaner. I started the car and once at operating temp I noticed the idle was high approx 1,100RPM, within 20 mins I got the SES light, I hooked up my OBDII Scanner and received "P0507 Idle Control System RPM high". I tried:

Then follow along with the Idle air volume reset:

3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
5. Conform that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
6. Repeat the following (steps 7a, 7b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
7a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD)
7b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the Check Engine Light (CEL) stops blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the CEL is ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure the idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.

But to no avail! Anyone know how to manually adjust the idle or Air/fuel on the 3.5's? Being a former 4th gen'r I could adjust the IAC and the idle. Anyone have any advice? thanks in advance.

UPDATE: APRIL 6, 2006

Hey Guys, here's the follow up from the dealer regarding the P0507 code Idle speed high RPM. They have three procedures to follow:
1. Check PCV hose connection.
2. Check Intake air leak.
3. Replace ECM. ( BTW ECM is warrantied under power train for 70,000miles).

They gave me a huge run around over my Injen Intake, I ended up putting the stock intake back on so they could complete their tests. PITA

They did not replace the ECM, they did a complete reprogram of the ECM ( as they said) and that cleared the trouble.

When I brought it in the first time they wanted to charge me 1 hour labour to tell me the code was P0507 and to bring it back with the stock intake. Needless to say I was pissed , I said I should charge you guys 1 hour labour for giving you guys the code and installing the stock intake as I could gaurantee the trouble wasn't the intake! I happen to play hockey with the Western Canadian field Manager for Nissan so I flashed his card and they they would be hearing from him ( bluffing), the service guy said oh okay we'll wave the labour charge. Anyway after the second visit and the fix a couple of hours were spent they charged me an hour labour for that and I figured that wasn't bad seeing as though the code was gone and the idle was finally back to 600rpm.

On a side note there's a lot of talk regarding intakes and loss of bottom end power, this is just IMO but I will be putting my Injen back on as I noticed minimal loss in bottom end power compared to how I have it now with the stock system but a definite decrease in top end performance with the stock sytem compared. With the Injen at 4,000RPm the thing just takes off. I know there's nothing on paper or documented/dyno'd etc here this is purely by "the seat of my pants feel" and just my opinion, but my personal preference is to have the Injen on! My car came with the Injen, would I buy a new Injen for the gains?...... No, but I would buy a used one under $150. And the sound the Injen makes under WOT!!!! Almost worth it for the sound alone! Please don't start beating me up over this Intake thing, frankly I don't even read the intake threads anymore, it's a debate that will never be settled I just thought I'd throw in my two cents as I've sampled both back to back under the same weather conditions etc and it's is just my 2 cents which is probably only worth that much!! ( that's a Canadian 2 cents which is worth less!!!!)LOL. I hope the P0507 code trouble helps someone else, basically it doesn't have to be an expensive fix and the ECM is under Powertrain warranty.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Are all the vaccum lines hooked back up properly? Intake air leaks will give you this code according to the FSM. Check those first.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:59 PM
Need A Light?

damn that really sux andrew...where did you spray the TB cleaner though?

also are you getting any other codes? or just 0507?
Old 03-22-2006, 05:30 PM

this seems to the the code for the IACV. also could be a TPS issue if u disconnected it from the tb, if so thats likely ur problem and it needs be be re-positioned to aprox .5-.6V. i hear on those drive by wire 5.5s once u clean the tb u start to have issues and honestly never dealt with them. ive had similar problems. if nothing works find someone with a consult 2.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by steven88
damn that really sux andrew...where did you spray the TB cleaner though?

also are you getting any other codes? or just 0507?
Just sprayed where the butterfly valve is, only getting the 0507. I'll recheck the hoses etc. Do we have an IACV if so where is it located, there doesn't seem to be any throttle or air/fuel adjustments???
Old 03-22-2006, 11:08 PM
Need A Light?

Andrew, I checked in the FSM...and for 0507 codes...its either an intake air leak or the electric control throttle actuator...i dunno what that 2nd one is

lets hope its just an intake leak....i know from the top of my head....there are 2 hoses towards the passenger side...one PCV valve and one brake booster....check those out...then in front of it is the VIAS hoses....then towards the drivers side is 3 hoses iirc....one on the bottom...one in the side...and one near the back....all 3 hoses are near the TB area...you can't miss these...

anyone else wanna input something that i misseD?
Old 03-23-2006, 12:29 AM
Need A Light?

Andrew, make sure your VIAS hoses look like these....I know it's not related to the 0507 code...but if you get these hoses switched backwards...your VIAS will be screwed up and u will lose alot of low end tq...just letting u know it HAS to look like this in the picture

EDIT: use this picture as reference for were the hoses are....remember, two hoses on the left of the picture (behind the VIAS hoses, can't see in the picture)...one is brake booster, one is pcv valve....then u got the two VIAS hoses in the front...make sure those are plugged in...then to the right side of the picture, near the TB are 3 hoses...I'm not sure the purpose of these 3...but I know for sure there are 3....you can actually see one of the hoses in the picture right there on the right...on the elbow of the plenum...let me know if u need anymore help
Old 03-23-2006, 07:48 AM

Andrew, make sure your VIAS hoses look like these....I know it's not related to the 0507 code...but if you get these hoses switched backwards...your VIAS will be screwed up and u will lose alot of low end tq...just letting u know it HAS to look like this in the picture

EDIT: use this picture as reference for were the hoses are....remember, two hoses on the left of the picture (behind the VIAS hoses, can't see in the picture)...one is brake booster, one is pcv valve....then u got the two VIAS hoses in the front...make sure those are plugged in...then to the right side of the picture, near the TB are 3 hoses...I'm not sure the purpose of these 3...but I know for sure there are 3....you can actually see one of the hoses in the picture right there on the right...on the elbow of the plenum...let me know if u need anymore help
That's great thanks I'll check this out, thanks again you reallly are a huge assest to this forum!! They should have a forum non moderator MVP! You've got my vote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:18 AM

Well I've checked out the diffenrent hoses, the two in behind the intake manifold near the rear o2 sensor plug are vacuum related, when disconnecting either one the rev's increase a lot, the hoses look good but I seem to be hearing a bit of a sucking sound , don't know if this is normal or not???
Old 03-23-2006, 11:03 AM
Need A Light?

thats weird...I remember when I was diagnosing for intake air leaks on my car....I couldn't hear sucking from those hoses....

how about the other 3 hoses near the TB?
Old 03-23-2006, 08:06 PM

thats weird...I remember when I was diagnosing for intake air leaks on my car....I couldn't hear sucking from those hoses....

how about the other 3 hoses near the TB?
They seem fine
Old 03-23-2006, 08:32 PM
Need A Light?

let me get back to you later tomorrow morning andrew...i'll be doing more research on this 0507 code
Old 03-23-2006, 09:25 PM

I found a good discussion on this, might wanna take a look at it:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....highlight=IACV
Old 03-24-2006, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
I found a good discussion on this, might wanna take a look at it:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....highlight=IACV
Thanks Puppetmaster, doesn't look like there was still a definte answer except replacing ECM Scary! Well I guess it's off to the stealership , but I'm declaring ignorance! "Duh the little light thingy just came on and my idle rose for no reason at all?" is going to be my approach and try to get it warrantied. I'll update with their findings, but I won't be able to get it in there for a week or so.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:02 AM
Need A Light?

Andrew when I searched through a bunch of the old threads with 0507, it seems like the TB needs to be replaced...alot of members tried cleaning the TB and received a high idle afterwards...followed by the 0507....it wouldn't go away either....so the only solution was to get the TB replaced...

I know the FSM states the ECU needs to be replaced...I dunno how the dealership is going to deal with your car tho...but hopefully you're still under warranty so they can work on your car
Old 03-24-2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by MAXRB8
Thanks Puppetmaster, doesn't look like there was still a definte answer except replacing ECM Scary!
ECM or TB it seems... all the best and let us know how it all goes.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:43 AM

When this happened to me, they tried 2 other TB's and it never solved the problem. In my case, the only thing that worked was to replace the ecm. They replaced mine under my drivetrain warrantee.

Paulb
Old 04-06-2006, 07:25 AM

Hey Guys, here's the follow up from the dealer regarding the P0507 code Idle speed high RPM. They have three procedures to follow:
1. Check PCV hose connection.
2. Check Intake air leak.
3. Replace ECM. ( BTW ECM is warrantied under power train for 70,000miles).

They gave me a huge run around over my Injen Intake, I ended up putting the stock intake back on so they could complete their tests. PITA

They did not replace the ECM, they did a complete reprogram of the ECM ( as they said) and that cleared the trouble.

When I brought it in the first time they wanted to charge me 1 hour labour to tell me the code was P0507 and to bring it back with the stock intake. Needless to say I was pissed , I said I should charge you guys 1 hour labour for giving you guys the code and installing the stock intake as I could gaurantee the trouble wasn't the intake! I happen to play hockey with the Western Canadian field Manager for Nissan so I flashed his card and they they would be hearing from him ( bluffing), the service guy said oh okay we'll wave the labour charge. Anyway after the second visit and the fix a couple of hours were spent they charged me an hour labour for that and I figured that wasn't bad seeing as though the code was gone and the idle was finally back to 600rpm.

On a side note there's a lot of talk regarding intakes and loss of bottom end power, this is just IMO but I will be putting my Injen back on as I noticed minimal loss in bottom end power compared to how I have it now with the stock system but a definite decrease in top end performance with the stock sytem compared. With the Injen at 4,000RPm the thing just takes off. I know there's nothing on paper or documented/dyno'd etc here this is purely by "the seat of my pants feel" and just my opinion, but my personal preference is to have the Injen on! My car came with the Injen, would I buy a new Injen for the gains?...... No, but I would buy a used one under $150. And the sound the Injen makes under WOT!!!! Almost worth it for the sound alone! Please don't start beating me up over this Intake thing, frankly I don't even read the intake threads anymore, it's a debate that will never be settled I just thought I'd throw in my two cents as I've sampled both back to back under the same weather conditions etc and it's is just my 2 cents which is probably only worth that much!! ( that's a Canadian 2 cents which is worth less!!!!)LOL. I hope the P0507 code trouble helps someone else, basically it doesn't have to be an expensive fix and the ECM is under Powertrain warranty.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Need A Light?

Glad to hear your problems are resolved andrew...and i'm also glad that the coilpacks worked for ya.... !
Old 04-06-2006, 11:34 AM

Glad to hear your problems are resolved andrew...and i'm also glad that the coilpacks worked for ya.... !
Yes thanks to you! Now to figure out which of my old one's is bad!
Old 09-03-2015, 11:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I know this is an old thread, but I couldn't get the relearn procedure to work on my 2004 Max. However, after disconnecting the battery cables and throttle position sensor for about 2 hrs and then reconnecting, idle was back to normal and SES light was gone.