5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Transmission Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 11:35 PM

Transmission Cooler

I was wondering which cooler i should go with, a hayden or a tru-cool? Those who installed a tranny cooler, did u even feel a diff in driving?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Old 03-22-2006, 11:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Below is one of the main reasons for getting the Tru-Cool over the Hayden the other is the stacked plate design is much more sturdier and efficient. However the bypass as described below is the main reason because it will not over cool the trans fluid regardless of cooler size.

When Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) is cold it is
viscous. The unique Tru-Cool design allows the colder,
thicker ATF to flow more efficiently through two open
bypass channels positioned at the top of the cooler.
» As operating temperatures increase, the ATF becomes
hotter and thinner. It is then directed through the core
where it is cooled.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:51 PM

Definitely go with the stacked plate Tru-Cool. The fin design in the Hayden is too easily damaged. I have mine installed since new....about two years. You don't feel anything....the tranmission just runs cooler and should last longer. You should also shift to neutral when stopped at a traffic light. Just sitting at a light with transmission in "D-drive" keeps pressure on the internal parts. Over the years, it will cause the transmission to wear out faster.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:12 AM

Which do u recomend between Tru-cool and the B&M tranny cooler?
Old 03-25-2006, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by mdemonte
Which do u recomend between Tru-cool and the B&M tranny cooler?
They are made by the same manufacturer. Flip a coin.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Libretti
You should also shift to neutral when stopped at a traffic light. Just sitting at a light with transmission in "D-drive" keeps pressure on the internal parts. Over the years, it will cause the transmission to wear out faster.
Does shifting into neutral while stopped extend transmission life? I've always actually wondered about that myself. However, I've come up with a different conclusion.

The most wear a transmission incurs is when a shift is made. This is because the transmission has clutches that engage and disengage to control the planetary gears. Clutches are definetly wear components. By shifting into and out of drive, are you not increasing the number of times the clutch bands are engaged and disengaged? What provides less wear on the transmission: the stress of sitting at a light with the transmission engaged, or continuously disengaging and engaging the clutches?

When you shift into neutral, you are no longer placing stress on the drivetrain, this is absolutely true. However, these parts are not wearing while the transmission is in gear. Even though they're under load, they're not really wearing because everything from the torque converter to the wheels is motionless. The "wear" is absorbed by the transmission fluid and dissapated in the form of heat through the transmission cooler.

Therefore, it seems to make sense to me that to put the least amount of wear on the transmission, one would do two things:
1. Reduce the number of times the transmission shifts. This means leaving your transmission in gear at traffic lights and for "short" stops (less than 2 minutes). It also means being very conscious of how you drive.
2. Change your transmission fluid often and regularly. This is is your first line of defense against transmission wear, since it lubricates, cools, and transmits torque at the TC.

This is just what makes sense to me, and what I practice with my own car. I change my ATF every 15,000 miles. My original automatic transmission has 224,000 miles on it and still shifts very well, so I'm pleased with my results so far. If I've been mistaken in any part of this, let me know.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:50 PM

Wow, 224,000 on a transmission is great. I have read both good/bad about shifting to neutral. I do it at the longer traffic lights during my daily drive....a couple of them are just about 2 minutes. I put the cooler in to help with heat build up. I live in Florida and most of my drive to/from work is in heavy traffic. I am at 40k in mileage and about to change the fluid. Did you use synthetic to get 224k miles out of your transmission?..or did you use OEM fluid?
Old 03-26-2006, 07:34 AM

Personally, I have never used a synthetic transmission fluid. I have always used regular Dextron III/Mercon fluid, which is available everywhere and is relatively inexpensive. There might be some advantages to synthetic, but I've never used them so I really can't compare. I prefer to just change the fluid on a regular basis, every 15-20k miles. It can NEVER hurt to have fresh, clean fluid.

When you added a cooler, did you add a transmission temp gauge? I'd be curious to know what temperatures the transmission is operating at in different weather and traffic patterns. I guess I'm just a geek like that.

Also, I really like the fact that the Tru-Cool cooler has a bypass. I've thought about putting in an aftermarket transmission cooler before, but I was always concerned about overcooling in the winter. Last winter I had to start the car when it was as cold as -8*F, and even with the stock cooler it took forever to get to operating temperature. I read about guys on other forums adding thermostats and a bypass line on their aftermarket coolers so that the transmission fluid runs in a direct curcuit at low temperatures. Now I'm glad to see that Tru-Cool has one built in. Does anyone know what the thermostat set points are for the tru-cool cooler?