5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I found out what happened to my engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 05:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I found out what happened to my engine

Well guys oddly enough I found out today why my engine died. My dad called me today because he brought in the I35 to get the tranny checked cause he started feeling the same slipping that I did. Of course they couldent duplicate it and they sent him home but my dad did get to talk to the guy who handled our engine problem under warranty. Originally they thought the engine was damaged because insufficient oil was put in the car. Well it turns out it was no ones fault. What happened was that a nut or a bolt came loose in the throttle body (I am guessing thats what my dad meant, he kept saying butterfly valve, so I'm assuming he meant the throttle body) and was sucked into the engine which I guess made it past the intake valves and into the cylinder where it was chopped up and clanged against the heads and totally screwed up the pistons and the cylinder walls and than after being reduced to little red hot pieces of metal were coughed out the exhaust valve and got lodged in the catalytic converter. I didnt know the valves open high enough to let something that big in jeesh!

I got a brand new long block under warranty though so things are all good. I just wonder if they replaced the exhaust too to get that foriegn material out of there. Anyway I'm glad to hear that its not my fault and its not the dealerships fault that replaced my oil only a couple weeks before the incident. Just thought this was pretty interesting.

Ohh and btw I thought you guys would all find this funny. The guy checking my cars tranny said that the trannys arent that bad at all. They get AT MOST one faulty tranny a year. But he said if we have trouble with it he can replace it under good will up to 100k cause we have been in there twice complaining about the tranny.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:05 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by sciff5
What happened was that a nut or a bolt came loose in the throttle body (I am guessing thats what my dad meant, he kept saying butterfly valve,
This isn't the 1st time this has happend with the VQ35...

Could have been from the VI or TB...
Old 03-27-2006, 06:10 PM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
This isn't the 1st time this has happend with the VQ35...

Could have been from the VI or TB...
there is a tsb for that on the sentras

Old 03-27-2006, 06:39 PM

and altimas too, with the 2.5 four banger, it eats intake/TB screws. I remember you posting about that, its all set and you got the car back and everything? you got a brand new vq30 right, howd you break it in?
Old 03-27-2006, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by carsarecool
and altimas too, with the 2.5 four banger, it eats intake/TB screws. I remember you posting about that, its all set and you got the car back and everything? you got a brand new vq30 right, howd you break it in?
Brand new VQ35. Well break in techniques are hot topics but I believe your supposed to get on the gass and than let off to create extra vacum to really seat the piston rings. What do you guys think about that?
Old 03-27-2006, 08:24 PM

im not sure about hammering the gas right away..Even though Nissans motors are pretty well machined and don't need an extensive break in period, they still need some time to break in...I have only "broke-in" 4-5 VQs and as I have done with countless chevy motors I simply drive the motor around at part throttle or less for 150-250 miles before tach it up for the first time.. Never once have I had an engine fail on me or burn oil doing it this way...but with any new motor make sure you change the oil AND filter within the first 1500 miles (you would be amazed at the amount of shavings and general crud is there the first time you change it)

--BTW the TB screw issue seems to happen allot with the VQs, I have seen at least 10 motors done within a year b/c of this.
And it seems Nissan doesn't care about the cores 'cause I've got more than a few dead VQs and QRs laying around the garage