5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rubbing on one side, but not the other

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 09:33 PM
But why is teh Rum gone?

Rubbing on one side, but not the other

So Im having a little rubbing on my rear passenger wheel. The tire is just hitting the edge of the fender. Strangely enough, Im not getting any rubbing from my rear drivers side wheel.

I have an H&R Drop with Illuminas and G35 c's with 245/40/18's

Besides a blown strut (which I doubt because there is no suspension bounce when pushing on the rear), What could be causing one side to rub and the other not?
Old 04-02-2006, 09:35 PM
Drug Money

That's a strange issue.

Talyan5 who has a A33B with 19" G35 rims also has a rubbing issue on one side only.

It was on the same side as yours i believe. I think it has to do with the offset of the wheel compared to our OEM ones. But that doesn't explain why it would rub on one side only.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i know 2 other cars plus mines that have that....shave the fender...imo
Old 04-02-2006, 09:54 PM
But why is teh Rum gone?

I was thinking it may have something to do with the way the rear axle is connected to the frame. The connection is offset to 1 side, and considering the fact that I have a sway bar on there... that may cause uneven travel on either side of the suspension... hmmm
Old 04-02-2006, 11:49 PM

I have that on my car too only on my rear passanger side too! I got the 18inch G35 rims too but dropped on D2 coilovers
Old 04-03-2006, 01:29 AM
Need A Light?

i think this is a common problem....my car only rubs on the rear passenger side if I am slammed too low...rear driver side never heard a thing...and if it did, it rarely made the noise

iirc, maximadave also had this issue...its pretty common if u ask me

richard, try putting your car on a flat surface and measuring from floor to middle of the fender...then get back to us with measurements
Old 04-03-2006, 04:31 AM

Maybe an alignment would solve the problem?
Old 04-03-2006, 04:49 AM

I also noticed that I had to put a spacer on the drivers side to match the offset on the passanger side.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:16 AM

Fender Roller

I just got my latest Eastwood Catalog and they had this really cool fender roller...for those of us Org'ers that may do this a lot. Check it out
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT
Old 04-03-2006, 05:52 AM
But why is teh Rum gone?

Originally Posted by qballjr13
I just got my latest Eastwood Catalog and they had this really cool fender roller...for those of us Org'ers that may do this a lot. Check it out
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT
I might give that a try... or take a baseball bat to my fender.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by rbrown81
It would be cheaper than a $300 roller that youd probably use once. Just do it nice and slow, the bat my be a little less pricise!
Old 04-03-2006, 06:13 AM
Hi, I drive a Maxima.

rolling your fender with a baseball bat might be your easiest solution.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Got Projectors?

If you look in the rear passenger side wheel well you'll kinda see a tab where the bumper and fender meet back in there. It kind of juts out into the wheel well, and with the stock wheels/tires sunk back in the wheel well it never rubs, but when you push things wider it will on large bumps/dips/etc.

You can take an angle grinder and grind away most of that tab (leaving the nut and bolt) and then use rubberized undercoating to recoat it. That should help alleviate the rubbing.

Aside from the fact that on these cars the right side (on the rear) seems to stick out a bit more it also seems that that aforementioned tab protrudes further into the wheel well than on the driver's side.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:32 PM

I used the bat, and while it did remove some of the rubbing, I had to still use a fender roll. If you do use a bat, heat up the fender really well with a blow dryer and take it slow.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:45 PM
But why is teh Rum gone?

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
If you look in the rear passenger side wheel well you'll kinda see a tab where the bumper and fender meet back in there. It kind of juts out into the wheel well, and with the stock wheels/tires sunk back in the wheel well it never rubs, but when you push things wider it will on large bumps/dips/etc.

You can take an angle grinder and grind away most of that tab (leaving the nut and bolt) and then use rubberized undercoating to recoat it. That should help alleviate the rubbing.

Aside from the fact that on these cars the right side (on the rear) seems to stick out a bit more it also seems that that aforementioned tab protrudes further into the wheel well than on the driver's side.
Yeah I did notice that little tab Meta. Ill give your solution a go. Thanks mate
Old 04-03-2006, 12:50 PM
IN IRAQ MAXIMA.ORG-ING :)

Originally Posted by khynex
i know 2 other cars plus mines that have that....shave the fender...imo
i have the same issues as well wit the g35 rims 245 45 18 on the passenger side... the issue with shaving is ur exposing ur trunk area... that rear quarter panel is welded on to wats of ur trunk i was told by a body shop... but that baseball bat thing doesn't sound so bad...
Old 04-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Suspension Yoda

Rich, can you see if the spring is sitting on the Illumina's perch correctly?
Old 04-03-2006, 01:03 PM
The Definitive AE Master

You have to re-center the rear beam. Basically due to the linkage on the rear beam, our solid axle pivots upwards and to the right side under compression.

Now the bushings and such were designed for a car at stock ride height. When you lower the car, you start to deform and constrict the bushings since the suspension angle is changing in relation to the chassis. In the FSM you will find segments on how to re-align the beam. Take a peak next time when the car is on a flat surface and you will see the bushings are bent sideways

What you have to do:
1. measure your rear vehicle ride height
2. jack up the car and place jack stands
3. unbolt the bottom bolts holding your rear shocks to the beam
4. loosen the bolt going through the bushing on your beam (there is one on each side, two total)
5. jack up the beam until it is at the ride height you measured earlier
6. tighten the two bolts you loosened
7. tighten the rear suspension bolts back on
8. lower and drive around

you'll find the rear end of the car will feel awesome because the bushings are not binding anymore and the car won't rub either
Old 04-03-2006, 01:04 PM

That is strange because I have the G35C rims with 245/40/18 tires and S-tech springs. I do not notice any rubbing like I did when I first purchased the rims with 245/45/18 tires.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by Larrio
You have to re-center the rear beam. Basically due to the linkage on the rear beam, our solid axle pivots upwards and to the right side under compression.

Now the bushings and such were designed for a car at stock ride height. When you lower the car, you start to deform and constrict the bushings since the suspension angle is changing in relation to the chassis. In the FSM you will find segments on how to re-align the beam. Take a peak next time when the car is on a flat surface and you will see the bushings are bent sideways

What you have to do:
1. measure your rear vehicle ride height
2. jack up the car and place jack stands
3. unbolt the bottom bolts holding your rear shocks to the beam
4. loosen the bolt going through the bushing on your beam (there is one on each side, two total)
5. jack up the beam until it is at the ride height you measured earlier
6. tighten the two bolts you loosened
7. tighten the rear suspension bolts back on
8. lower and drive around

you'll find the rear end of the car will feel awesome because the bushings are not binding anymore and the car won't rub either
Interesting. I'll have to take a look at that when I re-do my suspension in about a week.

EDIT: I don't remember what it looks like under there...do you have any pics of the bushings you're talking about? Will it be pretty noticeable if they're sideways (for those of us unsure of what we're looking for)?
Old 04-03-2006, 01:31 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
Interesting. I'll have to take a look at that when I re-do my suspension in about a week.

EDIT: I don't remember what it looks like under there...do you have any pics of the bushings you're talking about? Will it be pretty noticeable if they're sideways (for those of us unsure of what we're looking for)?
You will be severely depressed when you see how much of an angle the bushing is at. A good way to do this is that when the car is on jack stands, jack up the beam until its at your usual ride height

The first bushing is the little cylinder welded onto the "yoke" of the left side of the car. In the top of this pic (taken from www.vqpower.com) you can see the bushing is slightly off to the side already at normal droop

Now if imagine it compressed when the car is lowered. I can't find any pics of the second bushing since it is very near the gas tank area facing the opposite direction
Old 04-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by Larrio
You will be severely depressed when you see how much of an angle the bushing is at. A good way to do this is that when the car is on jack stands, jack up the beam until its at your usual ride height

The first bushing is the little cylinder welded onto the "yoke" of the left side of the car. In the top of this pic (taken from www.vqpower.com) you can see the bushing is slightly off to the side already at normal droop

[img]http://www.vqpower.com/images/howto/5grsb/Finished.jpg[img]

Now if imagine it compressed when the car is lowered. I can't find any pics of the second bushing since it is very near the gas tank area facing the opposite direction
Thanks, that helps a lot. I'll give it a glance when I'm under there next weekend.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:11 AM
Need A Light?

i wanted to bump this old thread back up....

Larrio - this looks like an interesting DIY i might tackle later on...quick question...does it require adjustment if I change my ride height? Right now I'm pretty conservative drop....I might wanna slam it later on...will I have to do this procedure again?
Old 04-10-2006, 11:27 AM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by steven88
i wanted to bump this old thread back up....

Larrio - this looks like an interesting DIY i might tackle later on...quick question...does it require adjustment if I change my ride height? Right now I'm pretty conservative drop....I might wanna slam it later on...will I have to do this procedure again?
Yes. It needs to be adjusted to the specific ride height of the vehicle since suspension geometry changes depending on ride height
Old 04-10-2006, 11:33 AM
teddibear703

OH man! I thought i was crazy, I always noticed that the passenger rear side, the wheel stuck out more than the driver side!!!!!

serious... i thought there was something wrong...
Old 04-10-2006, 12:31 PM
Got Projectors?

FYI - Larrio, I checked it out this weekend when I did my suspension and indeed the bushings had shifted a bit.

I would have adjusted it but unfortunately this time I did my suspension I couldn't get the lower strut mounting bolts free (long story).

I'll tackle it at a later date though when I'm better prepared.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:16 PM
The Definitive AE Master

The optimal solution is to take off the lower strut bolts, but you can still do it somewhat effectively with the struts still attached.

Its just that they make the beam compression part a bit harder.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:57 PM

Just did this, noticeable difference. A little bit smoother over some bumps, but I'll really have to drive my car later tonight to test it. Takes about 1/2 an hour.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:20 PM
Need A Light?

I wanted to bring up this thread again...planning to tackle the project maybe tomorrow...so I took some pictures while I was under there...are these the two bushings? I know the one on the left is the corrrect one as it matches the picture....but what about the one on the right? That gold nut in the middle has nothing to do with it right?

also i notice this bolt as well...this has nothing to do with it either right?
Old 04-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Need A Light?

btw, how are my bushings looking? it does look bent a little to the sides huh?
Old 04-21-2006, 06:30 AM

i have the same problem with 245/45/18 on 350z rims.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:42 AM
The Definitive AE Master

compress your suspension to your current ride height and take a look at the bushing.

The last pic should be the second bushing. Take a closer look when you are down there to see if it goes through a rubber bushing
Old 04-21-2006, 07:46 AM

So Im having a little rubbing on my rear passenger wheel. The tire is just hitting the edge of the fender. Strangely enough, Im not getting any rubbing from my rear drivers side wheel.

I have an H&R Drop with Illuminas and G35 c's with 245/40/18's

Besides a blown strut (which I doubt because there is no suspension bounce when pushing on the rear), What could be causing one side to rub and the other not?

It's a Nissan, what do you expect. Actually it's the same way on my car. Build quality I guess. My right wheel sits more flush with the body than the left wheel and the right rubs a tiny bit when the left doesn't also.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:50 AM

Same over here. I just finished shaving down to where the bolt sits. Right where the bumper meets the quarter panel. I had my girl sit in the back to add more wheight to see if it was still rubbin. It still does, just a bit though. Not as bad as before.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:01 PM

I thought my strut was blown and was going to buy some new ones. Any one do the bushing repair with any luck yet? I'm riding on 19" G35's on stock rear suspension.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:05 AM

With the beam recentering, do you need to remove the RSB if equipped before loosening the rear beam?
Old 06-25-2006, 05:19 AM
CAN YOU PUT IT ON THE WALL?

hey...this is great info. thanks for the great thread. this one will 7be book marked
Old 07-13-2006, 03:37 PM

any updates?? anyone???
Old 07-13-2006, 03:39 PM

When I have somebody sitting in the back, I get a lot of rubbing on any little bump. Anybody got a sure shot solution to stop the f***in rubbin???
Old 07-13-2006, 10:09 PM

i have that problem yesterday when i installed the 20" rims.
i noticed the passenger side was way too close to the fender
and the otherside was tucked in.

here's the driver side which is fine

but to any event, i went to a local tire shop and they rolled the fender and bumper alil bit. now there's less rubbing unless a serious dip in the road appears.

Quick Reply: Rubbing on one side, but not the other