5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000 Maxima trans TSB

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 03:48 PM

2000 Maxima trans TSB

I have a 2000 maxima with 45,000 miles and im starting to notice a first to second gear slip at WOT. I want to take it to nissan for the TSB for it but I want to know if I should be aware of anything before I go. I have full suspension and some other mods, I dont want them to bust my chops because of that and I want to make sure my max fits the description of the vin numbers mine is JN1CA31A9YT020070 I think that falls into the ones that they will take care of but I just want to be sure. Basically if anyone has any advice or can tell me that my car is definitely one of them that will get fixed I would greatly appreciate it. thanks
Old 04-09-2006, 08:56 PM

maf sensor??
Old 04-09-2006, 08:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

No i have the same problem
except nissian didnt do crap for me. I just got used to it.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:00 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Take a print out of the TSB in with you. Your mods do not affect the TSB. If the dealer gives you BS show the TSB and ask to see the service manager if need be. In the far off chance they still refuse to repair under the TSB, then take it to another dealer.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yeah I have the same problem, but the valve solenoid they have to change is like $280 just for the part, not to mention the labor. and you can read on the TSB, it says if the first to second slippage is not fixed by this then repalce the transmission control module, and if still not fixed, procede to repair manual for transmission.
This is why I have not done this, With my luck I'll go spend $1000 for a new valve solenoid and TCM, then they'll tell me I need a new tranny 2 weeks later...
Old 04-09-2006, 11:16 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

^ That sounds about what happened to me... Got my Max back in January, and about 2 weeks later, I would accelerate hard, then the power would suddenly drop off at 3500 rpm's... regardless of the grade I was on. Took it in (after researching the TSB's, of course), and it turned out to be a valve body on the transmission. The part and installation labor was about $900... Thank God I had the 50/50 warranty for 30 days...
Old 04-10-2006, 04:15 AM

I thought that with the TSB there is no cost, its almost like a recall, now im getting worried about having to pay a lot for this.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Spin20
I thought that with the TSB there is no cost, its almost like a recall, now im getting worried about having to pay a lot for this.
I think a few .org'er have discussed this on previous thread and IIRC TSB's are not recalls. They are just recommendations for typical problems that occur on the vehicle. If you are out of warranty then you may be required to play for it. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:06 AM
I'm watching you, boy...

^ That is correct! My car's factory warranty was dead before I bought it, so the TSB had to be paid by me. Thankfully, I had a 50/50 30 day warranty on my Max. I was under the assumption that TSB's were free fixes, then learned that those who had them fixed for free had some type of warranty.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:41 AM

Does this TSB also apply to the 2000 I30t?
Old 04-10-2006, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Spin20
I have a 2000 maxima with 45,000 miles and im starting to notice a first to second gear slip at WOT. I want to take it to nissan for the TSB for it but I want to know if I should be aware of anything before I go. I have full suspension and some other mods, I dont want them to bust my chops because of that and I want to make sure my max fits the description of the vin numbers mine is JN1CA31A9YT020070 I think that falls into the ones that they will take care of but I just want to be sure. Basically if anyone has any advice or can tell me that my car is definitely one of them that will get fixed I would greatly appreciate it. thanks

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AT THE SAME MILEAGE It's your tranny and it is covered under the 60k engine and drivetrain warranty.

TAKE IT IN TO THE DEALER. MY VIN #JN1CA31
Old 04-10-2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Edward Lee
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AT THE SAME MILEAGE It's your tranny and it is covered under the 60k engine and drivetrain warranty.

No kidding, thanks for the info, Im gonna bring it there within the next 2 weeks, Ill let you guys know what happens.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:46 AM

I have a 2000 Maxima GLE with an automatic and had the same problems. My car was not under warranty and I had to get the valve solenoid and the transmission control module replaced, and it didn't really fix the problem. I took the car right back to the dealer that fixed the car and they had a mechanic drive around with me. When the car is under WOT the car seems to bang into gear. I know that sounds strange, but it is the only way I can think to describe it. The mechanic that was with me said that that was ok and it was normal and there was nothing else they could do. I have no mods on the car at this time. I am thinking about replacing the transmission. what do you think? What are the possibilities? I hope this helps you guys. O, and the parts and labor for the repairs was around 2500.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by nismomaxct
I have a 2000 Maxima GLE with an automatic and had the same problems. My car was not under warranty and I had to get the valve solenoid and the transmission control module replaced, and it didn't really fix the problem. I took the car right back to the dealer that fixed the car and they had a mechanic drive around with me. When the car is under WOT the car seems to bang into gear. I know that sounds strange, but it is the only way I can think to describe it. The mechanic that was with me said that that was ok and it was normal and there was nothing else they could do. I have no mods on the car at this time. I am thinking about replacing the transmission. what do you think? What are the possibilities? I hope this helps you guys. O, and the parts and labor for the repairs was around 2500.

Wow, you got ripped. Sorry to hear that. As far as the banging into the next gear, I would think that that would be a good thing. Well, maybe not for a GLE since it's luxury but isn't that what a valvebody recalibration does? Doesnt' it make it so that the shifts are quicker and more solid?

When I had the problem, my car would rev up in 1st, rev in between the shifts like it was in neutral and then bang into second. I think that the in between gear rev was more the concern than the bang.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:03 AM

Wow, you got ripped. Sorry to hear that. As far as the banging into the next gear, I would think that that would be a good thing. Well, maybe not for a GLE since it's luxury but isn't that what a valvebody recalibration does? Doesnt' it make it so that the shifts are quicker and more solid?

When I had the problem, my car would rev up in 1st, rev in between the shifts like it was in neutral and then bang into second. I think that the in between gear rev was more the concern than the bang.
Mine is the exach same way, it feels like it is in neutral for about 4 seconds then will shift into second, it doesnt really bang but the neutral thing bothers the hell out of me. I am scheduled for tuesday morning to drop off my car and i have the tsb with me, I will keep you guys posted. Wish me luck, and I only have 2 weeks left on my extended warranty.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yes, it is covered under the 60k mi or 5 YEAR (whichever comes first) warranty. The dealer will reference the "in service" date of your car and if it is greater than 5 years, you are SOL. Sorry to to be the voice of reason, but the dealer is under no obligation to fix something that is out of warranty unless they are being very nice to you. TSB means nothing.