5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Must-have mods on a modest budget?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 05:05 AM
dentalstud

Must-have mods on a modest budget?

Hey, have had an AE 5-speed for a few months now. So far, I've done FSTB, Berk intake, Z-rated tires, and Y-pipe. What are some other good performance mods on a modest budget? I'm considering a RSB and Illuminas, but like the stock ride height. Are there any performance springs that don't lower the car hardly any? Has anyone done just Illuminas but left the springs stock, and did it have a noticable effect on handling/body roll? What about other acceleration mods? Can the timing be permanently advanced on an '01, and if so, how? Are the UDP's any good? Just getting back into the Max scene (had a 4th gen that was fairly modded) and wanted to know what are the best and newest things to do to these cars, short of a super/turbo charger. Thanks a million!!!!

Old 04-11-2006, 05:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you want a more stock ride height and better handling you can go with H&R, Tein H-Techs, or Eibach springs. They have a very mild drop and help the car handle better.

UDP's do not do much and most cost to much to justify the gains.

If I were you I would concentrate on making the boat handle better, if you are still on factory struts they are most likely at the end of thier life anyway. I would say; springs and struts and then a rear sway bar.

And yes, timing can be permanantly advanced on any 5th gen.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:24 AM
dentalstud

Can any shop do the timing advance? Or do I have to get a chip/ECU mod? Also, do you think that just doing struts and not springs would be worth my time, performance-wise?

Old 04-11-2006, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by dentalstud
Can any shop do the timing advance? Or do I have to get a chip/ECU mod?

Nissan dealer, you have to use the Consult tool for Nissans. Should cost under $70, you can try and catch one of the techs on the side for $20 cash in pocket to do it.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:41 AM

I would suggest either H&R (1.4F 1.3R leaned back look) or H-Tech (1.6F 1.0R leaned forward look...although if you only want to lower it a little this may be a tad too low in the front for you, but it looks nice) springs and a rear sway bar...it makes a HUGE difference...I got the Progress rear sway bar but there are other brands and I don't think it matters which you get...and I also suggest tint...it makes any car look nicer.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:30 PM
dentalstud

Called my dealer, he said it would be $39.95. Is the idle adjustment necessary as well when doing this? I heard it bumps your idle up a little, which I don't see as being a big deal.

Old 04-11-2006, 03:32 PM

Called my dealer, he said it would be $39.95. Is the idle adjustment necessary as well when doing this? I heard it bumps your idle up a little, which I don't see as being a big deal.

Some re-adjust, some dont... its up to you.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:49 PM

Hey this is a good thread, im wondering some of the same stuff and wanna sk some questions along those lines, like how hard is it to install a rear sway bar? Most likely wouldnt do it myself but in terms of labor hours at a decent shop. Also ive heard some bad things about the timing advance, what exactly does it do? Just advance your stock timing from 14 degrees to 17? And you have to run premium right? Also what are some good aftermarket front swaybars, or are they not worth it if your doing struts/springs and a RSB?
Old 04-11-2006, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by carsarecool
Hey this is a good thread, im wondering some of the same stuff and wanna sk some questions along those lines, like how hard is it to install a rear sway bar? Most likely wouldnt do it myself but in terms of labor hours at a decent shop.
You can do it yourself in 30 mins with a jack and some socket wrenches. There are write-ups all over this site.

Also ive heard some bad things about the timing advance, what exactly does it do? Just advance your stock timing from 14 degrees to 17? And you have to run premium right?
There is nothing bad about it. Search for the many threads already posted about this.

Also what are some good aftermarket front swaybars, or are they not worth it if your doing struts/springs and a RSB?
Progress/Cattman, Addco, Stillen, eBay (Stillen knockoff)

They are worth it even if lowered, IMO.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=412478
Old 04-11-2006, 07:24 PM

Also, do you think that just doing struts and not springs would be worth my time, performance-wise?
It is a good upgrade even if you don't do your springs. You can use the adjustability to match the spring rates, even if the stock struts were already pretty well matched. I'd say get H&Rs or Maxspeeds for better springs that aren't a rough ride; since you're gonna do the struts ya might as well do it all.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:25 PM

That's a decent deal. People are having trouble just getting dealerships to do it, let alone paying more than they should.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:27 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

Triple posting FTL!
Old 04-11-2006, 10:31 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

Hey, have had an AE 5-speed for a few months now. So far, I've done FSTB, Berk intake, Z-rated tires, and Y-pipe. What are some other good performance mods on a modest budget?
Nice mod.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:35 AM

Hey, have had an AE 5-speed for a few months now. So far, I've done FSTB, Berk intake, Z-rated tires, and Y-pipe. What are some other good performance mods on a modest budget? I'm considering a RSB and Illuminas, but like the stock ride height. Are there any performance springs that don't lower the car hardly any? Has anyone done just Illuminas but left the springs stock, and did it have a noticable effect on handling/body roll? What about other acceleration mods? Can the timing be permanently advanced on an '01, and if so, how? Are the UDP's any good? Just getting back into the Max scene (had a 4th gen that was fairly modded) and wanted to know what are the best and newest things to do to these cars, short of a super/turbo charger. Thanks a million!!!!
I just put Illuminas on my Max a few days ago. The car handles MUCH better and the "floatiness" that it had on the highway is gone. I kept the stock springs as I didn't want to turn my car into a snow plow. Also, with our roads here I can't imagine taking a lowered car over them.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:41 AM
Sports Button FTW

yea i'm running illumina's with h tech. Drop is pretty good and the handle is a lot better. I'm running on 5/5, the roughest but best handle
Old 04-12-2006, 08:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The advanced timing thing, what is that all about? Should I do it on an automatic?
Old 04-12-2006, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ice Train
The advanced timing thing, what is that all about? Should I do it on an automatic?
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=368622
Old 04-12-2006, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Ohh thats so F'in helpfull. I was expecting that link to actually provide some info on advancing timing
Old 04-12-2006, 08:56 AM

Subframe connectors are only around 300$ installed and they supposedly improve your ride, allowing you to run more aggressive springs.

There are a couple guys on here with subframe connectors and coilovers and they actually say their ride isnt bad at for running such high spring rates
Old 04-12-2006, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by sciff5
Ohh thats so F'in helpfull. I was expecting that link to actually provide some info on advancing timing
For you:

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php
Old 04-12-2006, 09:17 AM

hahahahahaha
Old 04-12-2006, 04:34 PM
dentalstud

Hey, don't knock my tires "mod". It's the best thing I've done for the overall performance of the car. Anyway, about the timing...I went today on my lunch break. A few minutes after taking my car back, the "master" tech came by to tell me that changing the timing "wasn't possible". I said "I'm not trying to tell you you're wrong, but you can." He said "No, all I can do is reset the self-learn with the Consult." I said fine, I'll go find the procedure online. I drove off but wasn't happy. I went right back in to the service manager (who scheduled my appointment and quoted me the $39.95) and said "Your tech says the timing can't be altered". He says "I know, that's what I told you on the phone. I'll go talk to the tech". He comes back about TEN minutes later only to say, "The only way to change it is through the timing belt". Another "Master" tech is there and overhears...he says, no, you can change it with the Consult, it just will go back to stock once you turn your engine off". Now we're getting SOMEWHERE...I tell him "NO, that was true until 2000 models, now it will stay". He said, "I've been working on Nissans for 22 years, and I know what I know". I said, "I'm willing to give it a shot". He says allright, hang on. About another 5-10 minutes pass, and a girl who works in the service dept. says, "are your keys in the car?" No, here, I say. I tell her "I've got about 10 minutes max before I have to leave to go back to work. She says, allright, and goes back to talk. She comes back out and says, "he can't do it in 10 minutes, so you'll have to reschedule". I was soooooo PO'd. But I'm going back tomorrow, with a copy of the printed procedure, and I'm going to watch the guy do it and see what he says when I have proven him wrong. I shouldn't even go back, but I'm not leaving it alone with them having the upper hand. They've been a decent dealership, they just are ignorant about any mods whatsoever.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:41 PM

They've been a decent dealership, they just are ignorant period.
Edited for truth.

Btw, bring this for their dumb@sses to follow:

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...90&postcount=1
Old 04-12-2006, 05:24 PM

I'm not knockin you man! I think its funny the link Puppetmaster gave to
Sciff5. Mod on!
Old 04-12-2006, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Gapp
I'm not knockin you man! I think its funny the link Puppetmaster gave to
Sciff5. Mod on!
It was funny, and I had already looked into it but its not worth it for me on my road car. I was just saying you went through the time to get the link for the search post in the same time you could have posted a helpful link like you did the second time. I know you gotta break the newbies in and what not but still...
Old 04-13-2006, 09:55 AM
dentalstud

I supposedly had the timing advanced today. They didn't charge me anything...I don't know if they felt bad about yesterday, or if they really didn't do anything and therefore have no liability...it honestly feels no different at all. Should I feel a definite difference? My butt-meter is pretty sensitive, but I am a five-speed...if that matters. Is there a way I can check it short of another Nissan dealer's Consult?

Old 04-13-2006, 10:05 AM

I supposedly had the timing advanced today. They didn't charge me anything...I don't know if they felt bad about yesterday, or if they really didn't do anything and therefore have no liability...it honestly feels no different at all. Should I feel a definite difference? My butt-meter is pretty sensitive, but I am a five-speed...if that matters. Is there a way I can check it short of another Nissan dealer's Consult?
Apparently, according to responses here, the 00-01 guys feel a difference when timing is advanced. But don't quote me on that.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:23 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Apparently, according to responses here, the 00-01 guys feel a difference when timing is advanced. But don't quote me on that.
Yes we do, now open your messenger