5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

TSB - TCM fixed... wow what a diff on the tranny...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2000, 02:14 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

Before, 1-2 shift was like catching a big wave on a log flume without the spash and screams of course. Now, 1-2 shift is like a kick in the ***. Very positive. I actually felt some torque steer for the first time. I will prolly miss the cushy shift, but I guess if I'm gonna drive this hard, the smart thing was to demand the new TCU from the dealer. man... moral of the story is if your dealer wont help you, drive out to BFE (middle of nowhere) and check out another dealer. I had to drive 30 mins, but they treated me like gold. They were extremely attentive. I almost forgot I was at a Nissan dealer. All the mechanics were clean and friendly. Service writer even remembered my name without looking at his clip board. what a change.

I guess this is my first mod, kinda
Old 08-24-2000, 02:18 PM

Good to hear that SOME dealer finally fixed it!

By the way, now that you have the new TCU, is there still a slight hesitation when you mash the accelerator from a slow speed or stop? (like when getting onto the freeway)

And did you ever install the in-cabin micro filter?
Old 08-24-2000, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by TimW

Before, 1-2 shift was like catching a big wave on a log flume without the spash and screams of course. Now, 1-2 shift is like a kick in the ***. Very positive. I actually felt some torque steer for the first time. I will prolly miss the cushy shift, but I guess if I'm gonna drive this hard, the smart thing was to demand the new TCU from the dealer. man... moral of the story is if your dealer wont help you, drive out to BFE (middle of nowhere) and check out another dealer. I had to drive 30 mins, but they treated me like gold. They were extremely attentive. I almost forgot I was at a Nissan dealer. All the mechanics were clean and friendly. Service writer even remembered my name without looking at his clip board. what a change.

OK, because all this mod thing is really new to me (along with being a Maxima owner), exactly what did you mod on your car? And please talk to me like I'm in kindergarten, I'm a designer, not a mechanic.

hockeyjew \_.

Old 08-24-2000, 02:29 PM

If you just got your max, this doesnt apply

its a service bulletin to fix sluggish shifts on 2K maximas built before feb/00.

---
RW,
HA! funny you would ask about the micro air filter.. I just picked them up today! installing tonite on PF and Max. they go behind the glovebox, must remove glovebox liner. BTW, dont be fooled by the price. some dealers are selling these 1 for $45. there are 2 in the pack. both for $45. I think all the dealers have them on special. there are little pamphlets littered everywhere in the dealer. they are pushing them hard.

I havent seen that acceleration thing yet. I just had my ECU reset, so its not really being itself for another few miles. I will let you know after I drive tonite.
Old 08-24-2000, 02:29 PM

how do i know if i need it

what serial number or number model, date thing do i check to see if my maxima needs the TCM upgrade, my maxima 2k says dec1999, its one of the first maximas out.

I just dont want to takeit there like an *******, and say fix this its broken.

I can't tell if there is a slip or not , i cant tell if there is anything wrong. I dont **** bout cars, i picked my maxima last week, it was a showroom demo car, help
Old 08-24-2000, 02:31 PM

Re: If you just got your max, this doesnt apply

its a service bulletin to fix sluggish shifts on 2K maximas built before feb/00.

ahhhh.... ok. thanks for clarifying.
yeah, just got it on Monday Aug 21. Still driving around with trip permits.

Old 08-24-2000, 02:48 PM

"how do i know if i need it"?

well... you should prolly have it checked...

Print this out and take it to the dealer
http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~chin/...Maxima/TSB.jpg

it can, over time, cause your auto tranny to burn the viscous clutches if you drive hard. the deal is this... with the extra HP, nissan added alittle extra slip in the 1-2 shift to cushion it and give it the luxury car feel. this is fine for most granny drivers. But if you like to 'enjoy the ride', then that little delay can be an issue. It only occurs under heavy throttle. And I suspect it would take quite a few miles to be a problem, although there has been at least one tranny fail at 12000 miles that may have been caused partly to this. It was mostly caused by him doing 1/4 mile runs, but the shift delay contributed it would seem.

Nobody has regetted getting the TCM upgraded. let the dealer take a peek, they only need about 20 mins with the car. its a 30 min fix to swap the little black box in the center console.
Old 08-24-2000, 03:02 PM

Re:

My car is at the dealer getting the new TCM right now....can't wait to get it back.....

Congrat to you, JimW.

For all of you who have the earlier max, definately go to your dealer and have them swap in the new TCM.....My technician told me the TSB already came out long time ago.

If the service manager won't give you **** (sometimes it's cuz he really has no idea what your talking about, like mine), go talk to the technicians !!! They are usually nicer guys and will believe you. They definately know this cuz the info is in their god damn computer....

Good luck u guys !!!
Old 08-24-2000, 03:40 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Oh no!!! <font size=5>Wait until you guys get the valvebody recalibration from Don</font>. You'll absolutely love it... if you enjoy firm, quick shifts.
Old 08-24-2000, 03:51 PM

Hey Tim and others

I got my tcm replaced yesterday as well
they had my car since monday
they told me that they put a 2k1 tcm in there.
big huge difference.
you should also tell them to tighten up your steering wheel.
big big difference.
=)

the dealer was smokin crack.
i hate all nissan service people.

Love the cars hate the service =)
Old 08-24-2000, 03:59 PM

Re: Hey Tim and others

Originally posted by yongjun
you should also tell them to tighten up your steering wheel.
big big difference.
=)

Yonjung, Can you tell me what'll happen if I tighten up my steering wheel??? will it make the steering react quicker or somthing like that ???

thanks.
Old 08-24-2000, 06:22 PM

Re: Re: Hey Tim and others

it just makes the steering feel tight.
its a kick *** feel!
Old 08-24-2000, 06:29 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

It's all in your mind yj...
Old 08-24-2000, 06:42 PM

Just got my car back from the dealer......wow, i absolutely love it now !!!

the difference is not day and night, but you can definately feel the shift from 1st to 2nd is a lot firmer and faster than before !!!!

happy happy
Old 08-24-2000, 06:51 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by GT_icecream
Just got my car back from the dealer......wow, i absolutely love it now !!!

the difference is not day and night, but you can definately feel the shift from 1st to 2nd is a lot firmer and faster than before !!!!

happy happy
Congrats... chalk up another win for the owners.
Score is us: ~7, dealers: too many to count.

Old 08-24-2000, 07:02 PM

dang, i had my tcm done too and

i didn't feel anything. i was expecting this big change from all the stuff i'd heard, but i couldn't tell. maybe it's cause i had an intake and y-pipe?
Old 08-24-2000, 07:10 PM

maybe

yours wasnt that messed up in the first place (ie slipping yet). I think some are worse than others if the TPS sensor is off alittle. If the throttle position is misreported, that may make it alittle better or worse. I dunno. Its not really drastic at all. I will just sleep better knowing my car will last alittle longer.

My wife thinks I'm a freak.. all that big deal and she cant feel it. I kept goin "right there... no wait.. right there, see? no wait... oh yeah, feel that?" She was "no..... no..... no..... as long as youre happy.." And yes, I'm talkin about my tranny
Old 08-24-2000, 07:36 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Why the disclaimer Tim? LOL
Old 08-24-2000, 07:41 PM
RussMaxManiac

Awesome man, glad you noticed what I did......

Old 08-24-2000, 07:43 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re:

well... you should prolly have it checked...

Print this out and take it to the dealer
http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~chin/...Maxima/TSB.jpg

it can, over time, cause your auto tranny to burn the viscous clutches if you drive hard. the deal is this... with the extra HP, nissan added alittle extra slip in the 1-2 shift to cushion it and give it the luxury car feel. this is fine for most granny drivers. But if you like to 'enjoy the ride', then that little delay can be an issue. It only occurs under heavy throttle. And I suspect it would take quite a few miles to be a problem, although there has been at least one tranny fail at 12000 miles that may have been caused partly to this. It was mostly caused by him doing 1/4 mile runs, but the shift delay contributed it would seem.

Nobody has regetted getting the TCM upgraded. let the dealer take a peek, they only need about 20 mins with the car. its a 30 min fix to swap the little black box in the center console.
A few 1/4 mile runs and the extra mods made it DRASTICALLY worse.

Old 08-24-2000, 07:55 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re:

Originally posted by Russ2kSE
A few 1/4 mile runs and the extra mods made it DRASTICALLY worse.
Yes it does... and I don't have the y pipe or cai.

Old 08-24-2000, 08:10 PM

Oh.. yeah Russ, forgot about the mods..

that couldnt have helped.. yeah, very thankful you got that info. prolly saved many thousands of dollars of out of warranty repairs later on down the road (like tranny rebuilds at 60K and whatnot)
Old 08-24-2000, 09:24 PM

gotta PAY for TCM?

well im gonna take my nissan tommorrow to go have it checke dout regarding the TCM upgrade module thing, is that a warrantycovered thing

do i have to pay anything to have the TCM changed?

What about the steering wheel tightening? how much you think they charge for that. The reason im asking is cause these Nissan dealers are *******s, i imagine the mechanics/techs are the same.

Roger
Old 08-24-2000, 09:30 PM

Re: gotta PAY for TCM?

i got it replaced under the tsb so it was free. one of the techs checked out my car and said that there would be no guarantee that it would change anything, but i wanted it done regardless for my own piece of mind. i made a request from that point on that if my car ever gets worked on, i wanted that same tech everytime (except for oil changes, whoever is available). i'm actually going in tomorrow for an oil change and check engine light. i'm gonna mention the steering wheel tightening and see what happens.
Old 08-24-2000, 09:36 PM

Re: Re: gotta PAY for TCM?

kafene you got it repaired under the TSB? what is that?
now that you mentioned, how much do pay for the oil changes, how is the nissan service anyway?

and what freaking oil should i use? the synthetic?
Old 08-24-2000, 09:39 PM

Re: gotta PAY for TCM?

radpp16 :

no,the TCM swap will not cost you a dime !!!! it's covered by warranty (i suppose you havn't drive more than 30K miles a year on your 2k max have ya ?)

Try to talk to the technicians........take them for a test drive or something...

good luck
Old 08-24-2000, 11:50 PM

Re: Re: gotta PAY for TCM?

i bought the service plan (which i don't recommend unless u don't like doing ur own oil changes). the service plan doesn't do much for me since i bring my own oil. the tsb is the service bulletin explaining to the dealers of possible problems and solutions to different known problems to a car. the tech drove w/ me (i had to go to the dealer several times and told them about the tsb before they evene knew about it.) the tech hooked up the computer to my car and we test drove it. i think they changed it because of my constant persistence on the matter rather than what the computer said. i can be such a flea (which is what they call me a work! 8) hahaha.

Originally posted by GT_icecream
radpp16 :

no,the TCM swap will not cost you a dime !!!! it's covered by warranty (i suppose you havn't drive more than 30K miles a year on your 2k max have ya ?)

Try to talk to the technicians........take them for a test drive or something...

good luck
Old 08-25-2000, 12:02 AM

oh crap

i thought they were going to replace teh whole tranny for the first fleet max. i didn't know that they were only going to change the tcm. hahah i left the car there a week ago and hope they'de take their time and lag until i get back from taiwan. anyways, how much is the tranny valve thing? and the recalibration. what advantages do i get from it and which warranty do i void. oh and also the tranny oil cooler.
Old 08-25-2000, 12:57 AM

service

hey kafene how much does the service plan run you?
is that all it includes? just oil changes?

Roger
Old 08-25-2000, 08:01 PM

Re: service

Originally posted by radpp16
hey kafene how much does the service plan run you?
is that all it includes? just oil changes?

Roger

hahaha.. u know. i'm not even sure. i got it cause it came w/ the nationwide tracking system for when ur car gets stolen (nationwide tracking system = automobile bounty hunters) and i wasn't going to get an aftermarket alarm. another good deterent for auto theft is a "member of the NRA" sticker. if the person looking at your car is not an NRA fan, then he probably won't take ur car anyways. and if he is also a member, he'll know ur just has 'hill-billy' crazy as he is and leave you alone. either way to win.

if i had to do it again, i'd save my money for more mods!!!
Old 08-25-2000, 11:56 PM

yong

what color are the polaris sw side blinker lights?
they do anything special compared to the stock?
how much they run for? know where i can order online?
Old 08-26-2000, 06:38 AM

TCM and Oil changes

The only reason why i got my steering wheel tightened was because it seemed very loose.
i like to make my wheels scretch when i do turns, and i thought that loosened it up.
it feels better now.
stiff turning and such.
tcm won't cost you a thing unless they play one on you.
demand everything that you want done.
make it break if you have to, just to get it fixed right.
umm the dumbass dealer said that it would cost me 60 bucks for a synthetic oil change.
i told them he could sux my nuts.
umm
I buy my own oil from exxon (3 bucks a quart on sale right now) and i buy my own filter and i take it up to a quick service place and let them do it for about 12 bucks.

oh yea if the dealer pisses you off.
ask them to give you a nice chrome 20th aniversary maxima keychain.
if they don't give it to you.
raise all hell =)
Old 08-26-2000, 06:40 AM

Re: yong

Polaris side blinkers are these blue bulbs that light up superwhite.
instead of having your blinkers blink orange it will blink like headlight from lowbeam to highbeam.
they run about 9 dollars a bulb.
or you can just jack them like i did.
its really cool.
when i blink people get p/o at me =P
i also got the rear side markers yesterday
with piaa s/w push in bulbs.
i also got piaa s/w reverse light bulbs
and piaa s/w push in bulbs for the liscence plate light.
just waiting on those damn clears for the front now.
Old 08-26-2000, 09:11 AM

The old TCM is in cars to at least 4/00....

when I brought my Max in to have the engine mounts replaced(they squeak as they move, don't ask, I'm not happy about it) I asked the tech to check out which part # I had on my TCM.

At first he looked at me like "WTF is a TCM part #???" I told him to go look it up in his TSB's. He came back in a minute with his consultant II and hooked it up looking rather sheepish. Sure enought my 2K SE built in 4/00 had the part # ending in Y100. I know exactly what Tim is talking about with soft shifts...sort of rolls into second. I've only been able to get it to do what I would suspect is a slip once. I've tried to recreate it but I can't and plus I don't want to keep mashing the gas on testing it (Not to mention the repeated beating on the engine)

I have to bring the car back next week for the rear engine mount and the tech said he would check out and see if he can get it to slip....he also stated that under no circumstances would he replace the TCM unless he can recreate the problem. Great..well after they fix the mount (this is Kelly Nissan in Beverly MA, home of we'll sell you the car but after that we could care less of you) I'm goingto try Crest under the recommandation from a fellow internet Max owner.

Not to mention that the car has been back 3 times for rattles and each time it comes back worse

Y- I know what you mean about 60 bux for a syn change...thats what was quoted to me also...
Old 08-26-2000, 12:41 PM

Re: The old TCM is in cars to at least 4/00....

yea those *******s asking for 60 dollars an oil change can sux my nuts.
**** nissan service worse damn service ever.

tcm should be fixed in all 2k maxes.
they should put the 2k1 tcm in there.
trust me
big *** improvement...
btw kev is still gay
Old 08-27-2000, 01:09 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: The old TCM is in cars to at least 4/00....

Originally posted by yongjun
btw kev is still gay
No flames lil boy! I got Super Plasma wedges today... replaced the Raybrigs with them. Replaced many other bulbs too... Jane and I went bulb crazy.
Old 08-27-2000, 06:42 AM

Re: Re: Re: The old TCM is in cars to at least 4/00....

did kev daddy and jane mommy get me anything too?
hey kev i got my rear clears for 20 bucks!