5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How much potential do our cars have?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How much potential do our cars have?

Hey guys lately I've been able to experience lots of different cars because I started a car club here at my college and I have been pleasantly surprised by many cars. All of the cars I've ridden in have high handling limits than my I35 and I am starting to think whats the point of modifying the thing when these other cars come from the factory so far ahead of our cars handling wise. So I know springs/struts and coilovers and stickier tires and sway bars and strut bars and chassis ridgidity mods make a very noticible difference but how much of a difference do they make? Like I rode in my friends 2000 S4, the bi turbo and he was kinda bein a little ricerish and weaving through some traffic. I was shocked by how responsive the front end was to minute inputs and this was a stock S4. It was that responsivness that I am really looking for in the Max/I35. I cant stand how when you turn the wheel the car wallows one way and than the other. Even my buddies camaro which is not a car well known for its handling was MUCH flatter through the turns than my car and I would say even more predictible (which is really saying something cause camaros again are not known in any good way for their handling)

So to the guys who have suspension mods on their 5th gens what would you compare your car to in terms of general responsivness, and absolute at the limit charachteristics. Has anyone here gotten their car to become responsive enough to compare it to an RSX-S or other FWD sports car?

I already have some of these mods waiting to go into the car and others that I am going to purchase in the next month but here is what I am going to have and I really want to know what to expect from this combo.

Otto Fstb, Progress RSB, Custom SFCs similar to the warpspeed design, Blemcho stage 2 LTB, Tokico illuminas, H&R springs and Toyo proxes 4.

I am expecting this combo should make the car ride better than stock and increase its handling limits quite a bit but I still wonder how much more responsive the car will feel to quick side to side motions compared to stock, because thats where the I35s suspension really drives me a little batty.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by sciff5
Even my buddies camaro which is not a car well known for its handling was MUCH flatter through the turns than my car and I would say even more predictible (which is really saying something cause camaros again are not known in any good way for their handling)
Handling is a subjective term depending on what your overall idea of it is. If you are including ride comfort then no the Camaro is not known for handling. If you are strictly talking cornering, then this is an area where the car is noted for being an excellent performer, depending on the year. Stock from the factory my 88 Camaro came with Bilstein shock, lowering high rate springs, 245/50 series tires and a 34mm front sway bar with 24mm rear, and a quick ratio steering box. It's got a much lower center of gravity than my Maxima, and the Max doesn't come close to being able to stay as flat through corners.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:34 PM

To make it fair you should be comparing to cars like the Honda Accord V6 and Camry V6 SE. When you mention cars like s4 or camaro, they are in their own league. These cars come out from the factory meant to be sports cars, and handle as such. The Maxima/I35 has to appeal to a much larger group of buyers than s4 or the Camaro. Maxima for the most part is a daily driver and it must be both comfortable, sporty, and inexpensive. So I am interested myself how our cars compare to cars within their own class.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Whtmax'01
To make it fair you should be comparing to cars like the Honda Accord V6 and Camry V6 SE. When you mention cars like s4 or camaro, they are in their own league. These cars come out from the factory meant to be sports cars, and handle as such. The Maxima/I35 has to appeal to a much larger group of buyers than s4 or the Camaro. Maxima for the most part is a daily driver and it must be both comfortable, sporty, and inexpensive. So I am interested myself how our cars compare to cars within their own class.
Well I am saying with modifications how do we compare to higher performance cars? I already know we can make our cars handle just as well an an accord with modifications but what is a modified accord equivelent to when compared to stock higher performance cars? You know what I meen? Like with my handling mods will I be able to achieve that responsiveness found in FWD performance oriented cars like the RSX. I wish there were more performance oriented cars or else I would pick a different car to compare it to. I know the feel of the car as you push it will be different as suspension geometry and weight balance and center of gravity among many other factors are different but I am saying when it comes to responsivness, aka how well the car changes directions left to right how far can we push our cars? Also I want to know what the absolute limit is for lateral acceleration, I am talking measured lateral Gs as the car circles the skidpad.

And because saying it feels better than stock is not descriptive at all.. I am saying tell me what your car compares to in terms of handling that way I could go drive that car and get a very rough estimate of what limits could be achieved with the handling modifications available for our cars.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:58 PM

talk to irish, he does autocross, see what his times compare to.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by MxdOut97
talk to irish, he does autocross, see what his times compare to.

actually thats a damn good idea! That should be a start, even though that really doesnt tell how crisp the handling is it should tell the limits in a racing situation. Although some cars are much better at autocross than others. A mini cooper could probably beat a vette in autocross but once the speeds go up on a race course well... we know what happens.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:41 PM
Toolie

With my FSTB and RSB and the eibachs I can do some amazing things. I'm still learning how aggressive I can be when cornering. (bit of a chicken **** but getting braver everyday) I used to own a Grand AM and I have to say it sucked big time compared to what I have now. I took a buddy of mine out for a drive a few days ago, He has a stock 03 and he was pretty amazed at the difference in the suspension.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Droppin logs

Infinite

Old 04-25-2006, 05:09 PM

Sounds like you bought the wrong car. At least you got a new engine though.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by TXT-1
Sounds like you bought the wrong car. At least you got a new engine though.
Your saying I got the wrong car? If so than probably but I dont think I could have gotten what I wanted with the practicality that I need being located in New England with all the performance I want. Thats really the reason my focus has shifted from performance mods for the max to luxury and style mods with my performance money going to a second "pure performance car" The max would have plenty of performance in a striaght line if I could add a 100shot. If our trannies were more stout I'de probably do it based on how cheap Vq35s are, but because I'de have to dump 4k on the transmission before I'de feel comfortable even thinking about spending a dime on the nitrous its really not worth it to me.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:55 PM
Driving is the next best thing

Well, I call my car a poor man's sports car. LMAO The reason I'm saying this is because, while being an affordable 4 door sedan, it is relatively light and it can outrun 80% of the cars on the road, both in the corners and straight line.

IMO, Maxima has relatively high potential. With good springs/shocks, ES bushings, braces and SFC it will "outcorner" both camaro and S4.

BTW, Larrio and BlackBIRDVQ are developing (independently) subframe bushings which should enhance handling even further.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:28 PM

I think you will be surprised how much the mods you listed really affect the handling performance of the Maxima. At this point you have to realize that the suspension of the Maxima/I35 come out the gate built for economy luxry not handeling. I had a 3rd gen a couple of years ago and when I installed the FSTB and Eibachs it was a completely diffrent car.

Like someone posted before, check with Irish44 about autocross. I know Matt93se has a 3rd gen that is absolutely crazy on the course.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:51 PM

you can make your car handle considerably better with coilovers, rsb and sfc's...that combo will stiffen the ride and chassis - making the car feel a lot better in the corners...

but do realize that your car is still subject to the laws of physics. the maxima's are relatively heavy cars and have a fairly long wheel base. it definitely won't feel as nimble as cars with shorter wheel bases and lighter weight.

unless you're autocrossing, aftermarket shocks, springs and a rsb will suffice and make your car feel a lot better around the twisties.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Gjohnson
I think you will be surprised how much the mods you listed really affect the handling performance of the Maxima. At this point you have to realize that the suspension of the Maxima/I35 come out the gate built for economy luxry not handeling. I had a 3rd gen a couple of years ago and when I installed the FSTB and Eibachs it was a completely diffrent car.

Like someone posted before, check with Irish44 about autocross. I know Matt93se has a 3rd gen that is absolutely crazy on the course.

Yeah matt93se has a pretty nice setup. I dont know if he has coilovers but he says on street tires his car can hit .96g on the skid pad. Also we need to remember though that even though the 3rd gens are older they probably have more handling potential than our cars. They are lighter, (do suffer from a flimsy chassis but thats only SFCs away from being completly eliminated), and have IRS, where as we have that beautiful beam in the back. I was considering coilovers for a little while but I didnt feel it was the right choice after a lot of consideration. One they cost more, most of the times significantly more, two they are not known for reliability ESPECIALLY in cold weather (it always below freezing here in the winter) and where the roads are not good, can you say New England frost heaves? and three they would probably ride too hard for my daily driver. So I dont really feel they are on option but thats why I am thinkin about buying an rx7, I should get all the handling performance I could ever want from that.

Also I know NRH transmissions puts a LSD in your car when they build the tranny so even though its 4k to do it it really could be of great benefit to the car in every way. LSD would help in the snow, I would never have to worry about the weak tranny slipping if I wanted to add power, and an LSD would pull me out corners better, not to mention the added benefits of a slightly higher stall torque converter and quicker shifting. I have heard that an LSD alone makes a large difference in the feel of most cars in the corners.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:01 AM

I think people make the max out to be more than it suppose to be. Keep the maxima in its class and it out shines most cars. The S4 costed about 40,000 plus so I'd expect it to handle better. The max holds its own against the TL, Camry, and Accord. If I had 40 plus to spend and wanted a performance sedan it would most likely be a european car.............I love the max for what it is and compare apples to apples.......
Old 04-26-2006, 11:24 AM
The Definitive AE Master

I think its 70% driver, 30% car. A good driver will understand the flaws of the vehicle and exploits the advantages.

The car has a lot of potential until you start wanting to compete it in a road course (not auto-x) and compare it to cars that cost quite a bit more or are in a different class.

Yes, we have a lot of weight over the front axles. Yes, we have a rear beam. Yes, the suspension wasn't designed to be over lowered. But if you blend everything the right way and calculate what you are doing to suit your driving style and car application, then it has good potential
Old 04-26-2006, 11:24 AM

haha...my '95 maxima on eibach prokit, kyb gr-2's, rsb, fstb, and only -1 degree of front camber sitting on goodyear eagle gs-d3's destroyed my bro's s4 in the corners an he had the same tires...albeit mine were 10mm wider...and my wheels are also lighter...

now with my 2000 maxima, lsd, cattman/progress gen 3 CO's, poly bushings everywhere possible, rsb, rstb, fstb, matt blehm stage 2 LTB, and soon SFC's, corner weighted, and an even more aggressive alignment dialed in, as well as some minor weight reduction and battery relocation, my car easily outhandles very well prepped european sedans on the autoX course and at the road coarses without breaking a sweat...

so to answer your question, don't let anyone tell you that the maxima does not any serious potential, it's has tons....it just needs to be setup the right way, and driven the right way...
Old 04-26-2006, 11:39 AM

time, money, and driver and the potential is endless imo
Old 04-26-2006, 11:40 AM

The stillen smx max I think it was called had Eibach springs stock struts, and a rear sway bar and it pulled a .90 around the skidpad but I dont know what kind of tires they were running. Almost any car can pull those numbers with sticky enough rubber.

Here is the test I was really looking for though. The SMX max pulled an average speed through the slalom of 68.7mph which is pretty damn good considering thats what a stock WRX STI does through the slalom which is faster than a corvette. So it looks like side to side motions are tamed quite a bit by new springs... and that was on stock shocks. That was kinda what I was looking to hear.

Also I could be wrong but from amatuer reviews on this board the H&Rs handle just as well as the Eibachs and I really hope they are right
Old 04-26-2006, 12:53 PM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by sciff5
The stillen smx max I think it was called had Eibach springs stock struts, and a rear sway bar and it pulled a .90 around the skidpad but I dont know what kind of tires they were running. Almost any car can pull those numbers with sticky enough rubber.
To be fair to Subaru, that SMX was running 245 Yoko A032R 60 treadwear race rubber.

And as mentioned before both the A4's and S4's are really in their own class. AWD, 2" lower drop , and 3" shorter wheelbase makes a huge difference. Stack them up against BMW or the G35 maybe.

Edit - H&R's are softer than the Eibachs quite a bit. And both are WAY softer than fixed rate springs.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:59 PM

yeah but let's not pretend the sti doesn't come with some serious rubber as well...

and also...factory shocks paired with eibach springs...that is not a good combination at all either...
Old 04-26-2006, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
To be fair to Subaru, that SMX was running 245 Yoko A032R 60 treadwear race rubber.

And as mentioned before both the A4's and S4's are really in their own class. AWD, 2" lower drop , and 3" shorter wheelbase makes a huge difference. Stack them up against BMW or the G35 maybe.

Edit - H&R's are softer than the Eibachs quite a bit. And both are WAY softer than fixed rate springs.

By softer I am not sure what you meen. H&R rides softer, as in they dont punish you but from the reviews when it comes to handling performance they are just as good as the Eibachs. Too bad thats race rubber though... makes me sad. I figured the tires were something like that but I was really hoping they were street tires. Anyone know how the proxes 4 compare to this tire. Its an ultra-highperformance All season
Old 04-26-2006, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
I think people make the max out to be more than it suppose to be... The max holds its own against the TL, Camry, and Accord. If I had 40 plus to spend and wanted a performance sedan it would most likely be a european car.............I love the max for what it is and compare apples to apples.......
Couldn't have said it any better....
Old 04-27-2006, 12:31 AM

Well from my experiences... i have a 2002 nissan maxima 6spd on S-tech springs and Nitto 555 235/45R17 and well i was in the freeway with two of my "HONDA FRIENDS" once has an EG6 with an H22 and the other one has a CRX wit GSR and both have coils..and to be honest they are better drivers than me...and i was beating them in the corners and well i was leading the pack in the straights...so i have to say maximas do have potential if the driver has trust in his car and knows what he is doin... maxima are great cars for the price. and have substantial handling and striaght line performance comported to so called sport FWD cars such as the RSX Type-S. Which i raced that had a lightened flywheel and racing suspension and beat him by a car length..hehe so yea if ur up for the challenge of modding a maxima stick to it. If not well get a honda like everybody else.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:39 AM
Drug Money

Originally Posted by BUSi87
i have S-tech springs
and no performance shocks?
Old 04-27-2006, 01:01 AM
I R The Law

Originally Posted by BUSi87
Well from my experiences... i have a 2002 nissan maxima 6spd on S-tech springs and Nitto 555 235/45R17 and well i was in the freeway with two of my "HONDA FRIENDS" once has an EG6 with an H22 and the other one has a CRX wit GSR and both have coils..and to be honest they are better drivers than me...and i was beating them in the corners and well i was leading the pack in the straights...so i have to say maximas do have potential if the driver has trust in his car and knows what he is doin... maxima are great cars for the price. and have substantial handling and striaght line performance comported to so called sport FWD cars such as the RSX Type-S. Which i raced that had a lightened flywheel and racing suspension and beat him by a car length..hehe so yea if ur up for the challenge of modding a maxima stick to it. If not well get a honda like everybody else.
atleast get it right when you talk about cars a RSX is not FWD it is RWD....so before you go on talking about racing cars go learn some facts then come back and talk thank you
Old 04-27-2006, 01:05 AM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by The Law
atleast get it right when you talk about cars a RSX is not FWD it is RWD....so before you go on talking about racing cars go learn some facts then come back and talk thank you
Old 04-27-2006, 01:08 AM
Drug Money

Old 04-27-2006, 01:16 AM
Need A Light?

Old 04-27-2006, 01:18 AM
I R The Law

******* post ****** and damn racing newbies that think they know enough about cars
Old 04-27-2006, 01:24 AM
westler92

Modding a maxima is liking putting a pig in a prom dress

Old 04-27-2006, 01:27 AM
Drug Money

Originally Posted by westler92
Modding a maxima is liking putting a pig in a prom dress
naw, you got it all wrong!

YOUR maxima is a pig. mine is a Hamster!
Old 04-27-2006, 05:37 AM

******* post ****** and damn racing newbies that think they know enough about cars
Are you serious? This is coming from a guy that just said an RSX is RWD? Moron.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:01 AM
still brewin'

Originally Posted by TXT-1
Are you serious? This is coming from a guy that just said an RSX is RWD? Moron.
my thoughts exactly. I had to read it twice. He actually said that the RSX is RWD. Perhaps you were thinking of the NSX.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:51 AM

You just yourself!!

But on the other hand that guy saying he beat civics on coilovers is also kidding himself.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:41 AM
I R The Law

this show you how much i know about acuras....dont like the car and dont care for the car so i didnt know crap about the rsx......thats what i get for listening to a friend and believing him
Old 04-27-2006, 10:46 AM

where did i say RWD....see the post!! lol wtf i know they FWD a well go head flame my *** it dont really bother me at all.The RSX Type-S is front wheel drive i tink u pplz should know that already **** go drive one you'll find out the only honda/acura cars that a rwd are NSX and the S2k. get ur facts straight.... but in all honesty my friends white RSXType-S got beat by me in my max...dunno if andrew seen the RSX i'm talkin about but yea. Newbie yea i might be a newb in da org but that doesnt mean i'm a newb in cars overall.
Right i dont have struts and thats cause well saving up for coils...plus my struts on the car are only 4 months old.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:52 AM

the law.QUOTE"atleast get it right when you talk about cars a RSX is not FWD it is RWD....so before you go on talking about racing cars go learn some facts then come back and talk thank you"
LOL NSX is RWD mid-engine design.... the RSX Type-S is Front-engine/right tranny design that is front wheel drive.... c'mon dont try to own me when ur *** doesn't have enough background information.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:57 AM

Engines: 2.0-liter, DOHC i-VTEC, 16-valve

Horsepower: 200 @ 7400 RPM

Torque: 142 @ 6000 RPM

Transmissions: 6-speed manual transmission

Drive Train: Front Wheel Drive

Tires: P205/55R16
SPECS OF THE RSX Type-S/// See u learn something new everyday LAW.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:59 AM

Also do you know the limits of ur car....i was goin around a turn with my friend beside me, his in a 91CRX(JDM) and i was there wit him the whole time... if you can't beleive it meet me up and i will show you. I aint got a reason to lie. If so i would be saying my MAXIMA is RWD SR20 TURBO or sumtin..lol

Quick Reply: How much potential do our cars have?