5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HELP!!!....Cant Get Rid of Mushy Brakes!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 06:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

HELP!!!....Cant Get Rid of Mushy Brakes!!

Moderators, I started this thread in the General Maxima Discussion section, but wanted to get as many people viewing this thread as possible. I could use all helpful info.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=469373
Old 04-26-2006, 06:41 AM

Funny I never had to do my rears, but anyway follow this procedure for all four brakes, if all else fails you could take it to a brake shop and get them to bleed the system for you, won't cost much especially compared to the money you have saved installing the Calipers, rotors, and pads etc yourself. Good job so far!

Model equipped with ABS: left rear caliper or wheel cylinder, right rear caliper or wheel cylinder, left front caliper, right front caliper, ABS actuator.

On models with ABS, be sure to turn the ignition OFF and unplug the actuator connector.

Clean all the bleeder screws. You may want to give each one a shot of a penetrating lubricant to loosen it up; seizure is a common problem with bleeder screws, which then break off, usually requiring replacement of the part to which they are attached.

Fill the master cylinder with DOT 3 brake fluid.

Check the level of the fluid often when bleeding, and refill the reservoirs as necessary. Don't let them run dry, or you will have to repeat the process.

Attach a length of clear vinyl tubing to the bleeder screw on the wheel cylinder (or master cylinder). Insert the other end of the tube into a clear, clean jar half filled with brake fluid.

Have you helper slowly depress the brake pedal. As this is done, open the bleeder screw 1/3-1/2 of a turn, and allow the fluid to run through the tube. Then close the bleeder screw before the pedal reaches the end of its travel. Have you assistant slowly release the pedal. Repeat this process until no air bubbles appear in the expelled fluid.

If the brake pedal is depressed too fast, small air bubbles will form in the brake fluid.

Repeat the procedure on the other remaining bleeder screws, checking the level of fluid in the cylinder reservoirs often.

When all the air has been bleed from the system, perform the following steps:

If disconnected, reconnect the actuator.

Pressurize the system and check for leaks.

Check and fill the fluid reservoir, good luck and get back to us.