5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stealer ship wants $700 to replace key...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by chr0nos
last year they they had a survey for this kind of stuff. the most expensive key replacemnent in 2005 was for lexus is300. that only cost around $334. that's half the price ($700)of ALL vehicles tested, domestic, euro and japan. dealer is out of his f^king head to charge $700 for any kind of electronic key.
Yep, Lexus keys are a RIP! My parent's wanted another master key for their LS430 and the stealership wanted $350. I found a Lexus dealer online that charged $188 instead.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Barc
and in the post above...
I would say that the dealership is quoting a new immobilizer unit and a new key, new locks and ignition, programming, and labor. Were I you, I'd tell her to just get a new key made from the VIN, invest $150 in an alarm, and call it a day with an extra $400 or so in her wallet. Chances are the thief won't try to steal the car unless they are very ballsy anyway.
Actually, the purse itself was taken out of her car rental which was parked in her drive way. She wasn't away from the car more than 5 minutes. In that time, someone not only got close enough to see her purse, but opened the door (which was unlocked) and take the purse. He!! They even closed the door after they were done. I'd say there BOLD enough to come back for the car if/when they see it.

I've told her to shop around other dealerships for a qoute. I think changing the ignition or "fob" as you guys appear to be referring to it, will be the most important thing at this point.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

omfg. does she have insurance for the max? if it gets stolen, she will get a whole new car. chances are she paid less for it than blue book anyway.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:51 AM

I work in the parts dept at a nissan dealer so here's the real deal.
1. It is stated in the owners manual that nissan does not save key codes in their system. However the selling dealership has the opportunity to enter the code at the time of sale. The majority of key codes from 94 and on are available. But there is no gaurantee that there is.
2. So, if all keys are lost, and there is no code in the system there are too options. 1. Try to locate the original selling dealer and have them check their paper records for the car for a code. 2. replace the entire vehicle lock set, that comes with two new keys and a new key code tag. option 2 is the $700 dollar fix.
3. Maximas all A33B use one key # now. H0564-5Y700. List price is 69.57. (just increased in price)
4. The vehicle gets programed not the key. A consult II must be used with the NATS card to reprogram the vehicle. On 02' and newer cars the Consult gives you a code that must be entered into Nissans service computer which then gives the technician another code to enter into the consult to allow the reprogramming. This makes security even tighter on newer cars so not just anyone with a consult can steal your car. They would also have to have access to the computers in the shop of a dealership.
5. There is no way, shape, or form a dealership or locksmith can make you a key to take to your car that will start it up. Unlock the doors yes, but will NOT start the car. I have had many heated phone calls with customers who cannot understand this. So be smart, annie up the money and get an extra key if you don't have one. Its cheaper than the tow to the stealer.
Hope this helps.