5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

insurance difference on auto vs 6sp?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 03:32 AM

insurance difference on auto vs 6sp?

So I found 2 '02 Maxima's that are pretty much identical... same miles (less than 200 miles difference between the 2 cars), same price ($5 difference lol) and I told my parents I'd rather get the 6 speed... I didn't really need their permission to buy a car but they are paying half of my insurance for the 1st 2 years I own the car. They say the insurance difference is much worse with the 6 speed... is that true?

Is the difference usually that bad? I think a small difference wouldn't matter, but I am asking because I know my parents didnt even check with the insurance company (it was closed on the weekend and that's when they claim to have called)

So enough of the story about why I am asking... Is there usually a big difference? I know it all depends on the insurance company, driver and so on... but does anyone have any idea if that sounds right that the difference would be so bad that I'd be better off with the auto?
Old 05-01-2006, 04:07 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

With as many cars that I've owned that the 100's that I've sold, I've never heard that insurance rates are affected by the type of transmission a car has.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:15 AM

I have never had to tell them what kind of tranny I had
Old 05-01-2006, 08:42 AM

exactly what I said... But here's the thing, I am living in Canada, it may be a little different?

Because when my parents first told me this, I completly laughed at them and simply said **** off... but it's really getting to me. And because it's not my insurance company and I won't be insured as the primary driver of the vehicle, I cannot call the company myself. I do not see why it would matter, hell some people switch their tranny over while they own their car... do they gotta report this to their insurance companies?

anyways, sorry for the rant, Can you guys think of any other things I should tell my parents about why the 6 speed would be a better buy than the auto... This is important to me lol, I have never owned an auto
Old 05-01-2006, 08:43 AM

Doesn't note transmission type on title and was not asked.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by deanwr
Doesn't note transmission type on title and was not asked.
My parents may be lying to me... I dont know... It's from a Canadian insurance company

But I know the guy who works on my parents cars said "insurance is bad on those things" when my parents mentioned that I was looking at a 6 speed Maxima... but he may have been talking about any Maxima all together
Old 05-01-2006, 08:52 AM

hahah sounds just like my parents a couple of years ago. i personally called up the insurance co. and asked and they said it has no effect whatsoever, dont listen to your parents, on this subject at least - usually theyre right
Old 05-01-2006, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by MxdOut97
hahah sounds just like my parents a couple of years ago. i personally called up the insurance co. and asked and they said it has no effect whatsoever, dont listen to your parents, on this subject at least - usually theyre right
haha thanks. Parents really against 6 speeds that much? lol I'll let my parents know that Im buying the 6 speed.

Also thanks to all the people here helping me out, I will be sure to show them this thread as well. I am getting so excited now! I may have my first Maxima!

but also remember, I am living in Canada... Can I hear this from a Canadian to really make sure... maybe its a Canadian thing?
Old 05-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Depends on the state. In MASS certain cars are considered sports sedan/coupes depending on the type of transmission. The maxima isn't. I had this happen to me when I brought my jetta. The insurance was a different price for auto compared to manual. The difference was really small though, like 55.00 dollars more......
Old 05-01-2006, 10:15 AM

If you have the VIN numbers just go to the popular sites like Geico, Progressive, etc (not sure if they are in Canada or not) and do the free insurance quote. It should give you a rough idea if they are different for the type of transmission.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i live in NC..i was asked by my insurance company when purchasing my max..if it was manual or auto...but for our cars...it did not matter. however with a honda it did. the manuals got better coverage they said. (less to fix i guess) i don't quite understand it. All i know is that there was no difference on an 02 max....auto or manual for the insurance rates. Good luck
Old 05-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I live in Canada, just got myself a Maxima. They don't ask you for transmission type. If so, then it's a requirement by that particular insurance company. But no, I think your parents are just messing with you.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:41 AM

If you really want to sway your parents, tell them the 6spd has a higher re-sell value. 6 spds are often saught out by the true enthusiasts. I happened to stumble upon mine and couldn't be happier.

Not that you would actually ever sell it....
Old 05-01-2006, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by MaxDom03
If you really want to sway your parents, tell them the 6spd has a higher re-sell value. 6 spds are often saught out by the true enthusiasts. I happened to stumble upon mine and couldn't be happier.

Not that you would actually ever sell it....
haha yeah, I've been giving my parents every kind of BS argument why they should let me get the 6 sp.... It seems like I'm having no luck at all, I may end up with the auto.

anybody wanna help me with real strong arguments for the 6 speed? lol
Old 05-01-2006, 05:12 PM

I test drove an 02 6speed and honestly, it drives like an automatic.

BTW just be glad you're not in North Carolina, I had an insurance company try to charge me more because my car was red. I was 22 yrs old and the car was a 88 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z, flash red it was called. Good luck.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I live in Toronto and when I was getting quotes for my Maxima I was asked whether I had SE, GXE or GLE. No trasmission type questions whatsoever.

As far as for 6 speed you can try to argue that's it delivers better gas mileage, more control over a car which is a really good thing especially during the winter (i.e. you can stop your car just using the engine by downshifting and not using the brakes at all - several times this feature saved my ***/my car on icy roads). Manual transmission requires less maintance and is more reliable than automatic - less chances of going to service shop for repairing.

btw I have 5-speed on mine.
GL with your folks
Old 05-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I sell insurance, and it is not a characteristic used in rating. however, model types could (on certain cars) since they drive up the value of the car. you lucky dog, enjoy your 6-speed!