5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Replace Brakes/Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 05:34 AM

Replace Brakes/Rotors

I need new brakes/rotors and I finally decided it was time for me to learn how to do it myself. Plus right now I just don't have the money to have a shop to do it.

Anyway I just wanted to know if these are the exactly instructions for replacing my brakes/rotors on my 2K1 Max SE.

http://home.comcast.net/~i1k/2000MaximaBrakes.html
Old 04-13-2006, 05:37 AM

Go to any Autozone or any parts store and pick up a Haynes Repair Manual. The brakes are sooooo easy to replace but that book has been so helpful to me with everything I have done to my car.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:41 AM
Booyah grandma.... BOOYAH

Those instructions are perfect for you. Do not be afraid to get your hands dirty you can do this. Make sure you get the anti-squeal paste on your pad and if you need a caliper piston compressor, Autozone will rent you one for free.

Fat
Old 04-13-2006, 06:02 AM

Thanks guys, question though. In step 5 the guy removed the Torque Member/Bracket with Pads still in place so that he would know how to install the new pad. If that's the case then I am confused about step 6. It says to Remove both Torque Member Fixing Bolts. Is he showing you what you are going to be removing in step 5 and how to remove it in step 6?

Stupid question I know, I just want to make sure I can follow step for step.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:15 AM

I really wouldnt worry too much about it. Once you start taking them apart it will be every easy. It sounds confusing reading it, but once you have the parts in front of you its very very easy.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:32 AM
STFU n00b!

dude, once you pull the wheel off, it's TWO BOLTS. very simple. go out there and look at it and it will be self-explanatory.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah i actually just did the front brakes a few days ago on an 01, he's right after you get the wheel off its just the two bolts on the caliper bracket- i took the caliper off the bracket adn just hung it and then took the pads out. Get some good anti-sieze to put on the caliper slides too. Its actually pretty important, and make sure the little boot on the slide goes back over the lip on the caliper. It sounds confusing but when you get it off youll know what i'm talking about. I didnt attatch the pin boot to the caliper when i did the back pads, and ive had to take the wheel off and re grease the slides twice cause they were sticking and causing the pads to rub against the rotor constantly.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:30 AM

I just did my front brakes, and it's pretty easy. The pads I bought came with metal shims that just stick to the back of the pad. I didn't need to reuse the factory shims.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by carsarecool
Yeah i actually just did the front brakes a few days ago on an 01, he's right after you get the wheel off its just the two bolts on the caliper bracket- i took the caliper off the bracket adn just hung it and then took the pads out. Get some good anti-sieze to put on the caliper slides too. Its actually pretty important, and make sure the little boot on the slide goes back over the lip on the caliper. It sounds confusing but when you get it off youll know what i'm talking about. I didnt attatch the pin boot to the caliper when i did the back pads, and ive had to take the wheel off and re grease the slides twice cause they were sticking and causing the pads to rub against the rotor constantly.
I have this problem...pads lightly rubbing against my rotors after I replaced my rotors and pads. Can you explain what the "little boot" is? I noticed my pads don't move on the slides too easily.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by dank104
I have this problem...pads lightly rubbing against my rotors after I replaced my rotors and pads. Can you explain what the "little boot" is? I noticed my pads don't move on the slides too easily.
the little boot covers the bolt that allows the brake to compress... make sure you put a alot of grease on that bolt
Old 04-14-2006, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by bigfatty
Autozone will rent you one for free.

Fat
I am glad to know that, I changed may rotors a few months ago and now it's time for the pads.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:28 AM

Thanks guys, I am going to check my funds this weekend.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:06 PM

Not to threadjack, but it seems he already has his question answered. I have an 5.5 gen and I'm getting ready to do the brakes. Any thoughts on what pads and rotors to get and where to get them. One of my pad has been grinding my rotor for a week. I may be able to have it turned, but don't know if it's worth the time or hassle. Obviously I can get the parts at the stealer. Can I get the same or better parts at the local auto parts chain. I'm not looking to go BBK and just want to stay stock. Should I replace both rotors?
Old 04-16-2006, 04:37 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

My front brakes are about gone, and I plan to replace them with Hawk HPS. Also, whenever I slow down moderately or more, my pedal shakes slightly, so I plan to replace the front rotors with Brembo Blanks. I have no idea how much turning costs, but IMO, you may as well get new rotors.

If you didn't want to get anything really performance-oriented, you could get parts from Auto Zone or someplace similar. Just go ask them the prices everything and they'll be happy to help you.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by zagzig
Not to threadjack, but it seems he already has his question answered. I have an 5.5 gen and I'm getting ready to do the brakes. Any thoughts on what pads and rotors to get and where to get them. One of my pad has been grinding my rotor for a week. I may be able to have it turned, but don't know if it's worth the time or hassle. Obviously I can get the parts at the stealer. Can I get the same or better parts at the local auto parts chain. I'm not looking to go BBK and just want to stay stock. Should I replace both rotors?
Here is the link to search; http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=368622
Use that to find all the threads on brakes that people have used. If you have been grinding for a week its probably not worth turning the rotor. Plus you can get aftermarket Brembo blanks MUCH cheaper than Nissan rotors...and they are a million times better. Also, search the group deals, rotors and pads are always on sale by the vendors. Last answer, YES always repace both rotors (or even pads)...never ever only do one side when it comes to brakes. There are much better parts out there than the ones sold at local auto stores. Use this forum, its your best friend to find those parts.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:14 PM

Besides having the right tools for the job, follow the Haynes Repair Manual. Just one thing to remember, don't hang the caliper by the brake fluid hose, or you'll be learning how to fix it.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Howdy, long time lurker, first time poster.....

Anyway, quick question for you brake replacement experts. I'm planning on replacing my front pads and rotors with Brembo blanks and ProAct ceramic pads as they're almost worn out. I'd like to do this without bleeding my brakes however, as this seems to be a bit more complicated than I'd like to get into during my first brake replacement job. I had my rear brakes serviced by the local Nissan dealership just over a year ago (Pads, rotors and calipers - took it in the can on that one, I'll tell ya!), so my brake fluid isn't that old.

Is it kosher to skip the brake bleed? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:09 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

I'd say you don't need to bleed your brakes. I plan to change my pads Saturday, and have no intention of doing this. On my last car I changed the pads and never bled the brakes. The only real reason to bleed your brakes is if the brake pedal feels spongy or sinks to the floor when you press it. Or if you disconnect the brake line from the caliper... Good luck!
Old 05-05-2006, 06:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by SilverGLE
I'd say you don't need to bleed your brakes. I plan to change my pads Saturday, and have no intention of doing this. On my last car I changed the pads and never bled the brakes. The only real reason to bleed your brakes is if the brake pedal feels spongy or sinks to the floor when you press it. Or if you disconnect the brake line from the caliper... Good luck!
Cheers. Appreciate the advice.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Conecarver

Agreed, you probably don't need to bleed for just pads. I too just got my hands dirty for the first time. Here's 2 other links to help.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=469787

http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/300
Old 05-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
Agreed, you probably don't need to bleed for just pads. I too just got my hands dirty for the first time. Here's 2 other links to help.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=469787

http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/300
Cool, thanks. Keep 'em coming!