5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Plenum Spacer pulled 3 times on Dyno FYI

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 07:57 AM

Plenum Spacer pulled 3 times on Dyno FYI

Ok everyone...I FINALLY got the Dyno test done this weekend, and when I get home tonight I have to post a JPEG of the results. Over three pulls with VQ35DE ( I have an I35 but the Maxima with same motor I am asuming the same. ) By the way...Over all the debate about how long it took to take the plenum off and change plugs on the car, it took me all of 1 hour to do it. All hoses attached you have enough room to raise the plenum up to reach the middle coil... OK I am now looking for a manufacturer, and have some MAJOR interest in the area, but if anyone knows a respectable manufacturer to put these things out in the market, let me know please. AVG over three runs with Cattman FULL exhaust, and test pipe, was 225 horse JUST from the plenum spacer. LOL kidding of course. I retained a air intake temp of -10 degrees off of what the car had been averaging in various temperature tests. 108 is usual for the intake temp, and I was running at a steady 98 degrees consistently. I will also post how the tests were performed. The WHP GAIN was about 7 HP / 9lb TQ with the smaller spacer and 9 HP / 11lb TQ with the larger spacer (some modifications needed to be accounted for after changing height of plenum and additional modifications for the air intake temperature testing. (Don't worry these are being factored in to accomodate anyone that wants to leave the setup the EXACT same as they had it.) This item actually surprised me. It actually gives the car a smoother acceleration line and its sound is complimenting to the power of the motor. I have all the information and I am ready to go with this as long as I find the right manufacturer for it. The material is easy to obtain and the specs are already there. I will show everyone the pics tongiht when I go home. I took pictures of the dyno machine itself so there was no doubt to the potential of the spacer.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:11 AM

those are pretty good gains, i'm assuming that you see gains pretty much through out all engine speeds given the lower intake temp...

too bad a plenum spacer won't make much of a difference on our 3.0's since the intake manifold is made from some plastic material which has a lower thermal conductivity than the aluminum ones on the 3.5's...
Old 05-01-2006, 08:14 AM
Need A Light?

interested in seeing the dyno...do you have the run files too?
Old 05-01-2006, 09:28 AM

Yes have run files as well. I actually have about a 1/12 hour video I want to upload on the whole process. They are good gains to me, and I do not want to rip potentioal customers off here, so I am doing ALOT more testing to make sure they do what was on paper. I will try and get them up tonight, if not then tomorrow morning. It's actually two gaskets for spacing. I was hoping for at least 5 HP off the mod, but wound up with much more. I was surprised to tell you the truth. (I guess there is a reason why TYVEK is a good insulator LOL)
Old 05-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Need A Light?

so what mods do you have btw? and what was your best run (whp & wtq)??

interested in checking out the run files....can you send them over to dukenunke88@hotmail.com ??
Old 05-01-2006, 09:47 AM
2-Wheelin it...

i hate to say that i knew this would work, but it has. i always thought but was told that no, it won't work. i'm glad you went the extra mile and did it. i'm near you, so i would love to see how this thing looks ilke.

also, a heads up to those who have ES motor mounts. because they're centered (oem mounts were off-centered by by about 1/2") the motor itself sits lower about 1/2" or so. this adds MORE space between the top of the IM and the hood of the car or the FSTB and thus allowing some to use the larger spacer.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:57 AM

I am in if you get this produced.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:25 AM

why isn't anyone working on a 3.0L spacer?
Old 05-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Need A Light?

also i'm interested in the size of the small and large spacers...do you have a fstb? how is the clearance between those (with the small and larger spacers?)...

if you're able to get someone to manufacture these, approximately how much are we looking at? the consumer
Old 05-01-2006, 10:36 AM

hate to be asking this but what did he do to the car exactly? I don't know what a plenum is either

dont kill me
Old 05-01-2006, 10:42 AM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by reeloop
hate to be asking this but what did he do to the car exactly? I don't know what a plenum is either

dont kill me
plenum is also known as the intake manifold...if you don't know what that is either, then go look it up on google or how stuff works

plenum spacer = reduces temperature = cooler air = more oxygen = more
Old 05-01-2006, 10:44 AM

I get it now, thanks!
Old 05-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Play with my balls

IBpicsarrive
Old 05-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Horra!!

What the range of the cost for this kit?
Old 05-01-2006, 12:17 PM

Interesting, Il be keeping an eye on this thread.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:40 PM

Aren't there plenum spacers available for the VQ35 already? Is this one supposedly more efffective?
Old 05-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Unsuccesful STL Coordinator

Very interested. Keep the details coming.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

would be interested depending on price...
What material is used to make the spacer?
Old 05-01-2006, 02:07 PM

Hmm, looks interesting, definitely would like to hear price quotes.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:13 PM

Interested of course but waiting to hear how much this will cost
Old 05-01-2006, 02:21 PM
Need A Light?

just to give you an idea, the Motordyne vq35 spacer costs $260...i know their intake manifold is a different design...but i'm just starting a discussing here
Old 05-01-2006, 02:26 PM
Play with my balls

I just want to see those files first, and let the threadstarter do some more testing before I care about any prices. This looks to be a fresh mod to push our NA envelope further.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:34 PM

WOW....Gentleman...THAT is a response! I am still at my primary daily function so I cannot post too much here today. To respond to a couple of things I noticed so far. The larger spacer will NOT fit with the FTSB without modification (Shaving the bar ((which inturn defeats the purpose)) To the individual that asked if they have this for the VQ35 already, YES they do, but not one that was developed for the front wheel drive applications..EG maxima/I35. The list of modifications that I have includes alot of custom work to the I35. I have a list of the following...

CAI Custom made (a RAM AIR application through the front grill)
Cryogen COLD CO2 kit for AIR INTAKE
Cattman Headers (original Zealand Ceramic coated version) They sound nicer to me than the newer version)
JWT cams
Advance Timing
Unorthodox racing pulley
Cattman Cat Back
Straight Test Pipe (ceramic coated heat protected)
Insulated fuel lines
Underdrive gates Belt (NO A/C hooked up)
Custom Alternator Pulley
Brembo Rotor
Stillen Gound Wire Kit with Blue Thermal Coating
Custom Valve Body
AOD Shift kit
Stillen Front tower strut bar
Progress Rear Sway Bar
Progress Lowering Springs (Currently for sale) moving on to TEIN coilovers and have no need for these anymore.
Currently running ZEX 55 shot with custom blue purge kit (shoots out of the front fenders up at an angle) pics coming of the purge soon!! Listen to all of you that do not run nitrous in our cars..DONT stay away from the motor damage associated with it!! Seriously! IT is not worth the headaches.
ALSO SAFC2 just installed and tuned..ANYONE that doent see what they possibly do should go buy one. for the money it's worth it. With mine, after being tuned out by someone who KNEW what they were doing, I got about 15 HP out of tuning properly. (Didn't dyno that alone so can't give exacts on it)

Exterior and Trim work:

Painted pinstripes removed and wet sanded off (completely BLACK)
10000K HID FOG kit
M3 lip spoiler painted Infiniti Black
Front Bra from Colgan Custom (customized to MY liking with those two little dinky peices in front off)
Matching Colgan Mirror covers
35% tint ALL the way around including windsheild
(Currently they are fabricating a body kit for my car from a Stillen Kit currently on the market)
18X8 G35 wheels.

List of additions to come...
Wiseco Pistons and 70mm bore (pending blueprinting) (hoping for 35-40 Horse) but no way to tell yet.

Yes I have a SERIOUS addiction to making cars faster then they are built for.

Now on to the gasket...the price I cannot release yet. I do NOT know when it will be fully ready as I am an honest guy I would like to perfect it before telling you it's ready and you can have one without putting a couple guinea pigs up on the road with it for at least a little while.....I will keep you all posted and try to make it to the boards as much as possible. If there are any questions please feel freet o email me. You WILL see this product coming out in the near future and it will come out with a brand name you ALL know today for selling quality products.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:49 PM

im also very interested...i wish i could get the larger spacer with a FTSB, but im not willing to give up my cattman...is the clearance not even CLOSE or it just barely doesnt make it? i cant wait to see dyno plots and get some even more information. Thanks for doing this for the community sleeper.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:30 PM

This idea is a good one. I have see/used it for years on other cars I've played with in the past. It does work, and is money well spent for those looking to gain every HP you can.

If you are you are looking for a manufacture, try checking out the the corvette forums. This type of mod as been around for about 10+ years for the ZR1 corvette, and TPI (though the TPI spacers are hard to find) You may be able to learn a few extra things given all the trial and error those guys have gone through? What makes the ZR1 a good pick is the plenium is setup like ours. The older Mustang also have used this mod for years now. they are another good one to try.

Good luck and I hope it all works out to be a big thing for you.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:53 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by KCMC582
im also very interested...i wish i could get the larger spacer with a FTSB, but im not willing to give up my cattman...is the clearance not even CLOSE or it just barely doesnt make it? i cant wait to see dyno plots and get some even more information. Thanks for doing this for the community sleeper.
don't forget that if he's on stock motor mounts, he's got less clearance than if on ES motor mounts, so again, if we have the ES, we may have NOTHING to worry about. i have at LEAST 3/4" clearance with ZERO washers. if it even thinks of getting too close, i still have some play by adding washers.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:07 PM
Need A Light?

hey marco, can you post some engine bay pix...of your FSTB and clearance of the IM? I will take mine and see the clearance...cuz i do have ES mounts as well

btw, Ebay FSTB here...Polo has a courtesy one
Old 05-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Need A Light?

call me crazy...but isn't 225whp from a fwd vq35 auto with intake, headers, test pipe, full exhaust, cams, AFCii...kind of low?
Old 05-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by steven88
call me crazy...but isn't 225whp from a fwd vq35 auto with intake, headers, test pipe, full exhaust, cams, AFCii...kind of low?
+1.0....you beat me to it.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
+1.0....you beat me to it.
haha nice signature...anyway, 225whp does seem low...esp if that plenum spacer really gives 10whp or so....that means with I/H/E/tune, your at 215whp?
Old 05-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by steven88
haha nice signature...anyway, 225whp does seem low...esp if that plenum spacer really gives 10whp or so....that means with I/H/E/tune, your at 215whp?
I still trying to figure out what this actually means.

Originally Posted by sleeperI35
AVG over three runs with Cattman FULL exhaust, and test pipe, was 225 horse JUST from the plenum spacer. LOL kidding of course.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
I still trying to figure out what this actually means.
I think he was just kidding and saying the spacer gave hin 225 HP gain.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Need A Light?

i went back and re read it...and i think he is tryin to imply a 225whp gain....joking of course
Old 05-02-2006, 05:54 AM

Just to let you know about the question asked if I was dropping 225 WHP with work...

LOL DO you guys even READ??? It was a joke. I said I GOT 225 HP JUST FROM THE PLENUM SPACER see next>, was 225 horse JUST from the plenum spacer I am running MUCH higher than 225WHP. I tried to post pics of dyno last night late. (Got home from PRIMAY job at 11PM after working from 6AM) Too tired to do it. DOn't worry guys relax they are coming up ther. (Quitting work soon to work on Maximas and I35's)
STEVEN got it ..... I forgot to put in the ES motor mounts. I am not on stock motor mounts. They gave me 1/2 inch, but that was all figured in with the larger spacer(it's why I said it would not fit with the FTSB)--the larger one that is. Being on this board for only abou ta month now I feel that there is some pent up aggression due to not having more HP under the hood..I need to find a way to cure that. You will see what dyno I have, the run files, and also you will see and be amazed at the little differences I have found to work for 1 HP gain here 1 HP gain there.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Unsuccesful STL Coordinator

What sleeperI35 says is all very nice and I am interested if it is true, but you see trends on here about people who "scam". Things like promising to post results, ie dyno/run files, and always saying why they couldn't post them to the thread, yet they are always in here posting every day and spending plenty of time doing it. Yet the results never get posted and the thing drags out. Nevermind the fact about his grammar/spelling. But that is usually a tell-tale sign as well.

This is the line that kinda tipped me over the edge.
I tried to post pics of dyno last night late. (Got home from PRIMAY job at 11PM after working from 6AM) Too tired to do it. DOn't worry guys relax they are coming up ther. (Quitting work soon to work on Maximas and I35's)
I am just cautioning everyone to not "nut" over the very possibility and be sensible about forking over start-up cash.

Now, on with proving me wrong and post the dynos, so I may "nut".
Old 05-02-2006, 01:25 PM

I dont recall anyone asking for funding... Although the question may be comming.

Let's see these dyno's now
Old 05-02-2006, 02:10 PM

To EPACY,
My grammar? And Empty Promises? First off, I am sorry you have been burnt before my friend, but I could care less if you like what I have to say or not. I have been working with someone on doing this, and their name will be revealed with the product. I personally have been trying to calm everyone down after even mentioning the spacer was being developed. I have received NUMEROUS emails with questions about it. My GRAMMAR is not the issue at hand here, and just because I did not have the time after working a 14 Hour day to run home and post Dyno and run files to PROVE to YOU that I am not lying, does not mean anything. If someone else that came on this site had promised you all something, then I apologize. I am not here to ask for funding by the way...someone is providing that to me already..their name..COMMERCE BANK. That's right...I am paying out of my own pocket and didn't ask anyone here for a dime, nor would I ever. I didn't plan to sell these either here, or on Ebay. OH Epacy, I have a tell tale sign for you my friend...as far as my grammar goes, I am usually in a rush because I do have other things to do in my life. My grammar and spelling were good enough on my resume to land me a position as the Senior Finance Manager for a Fortune 500 company called Pitney Bowes.....Feel free to call me anytime if you are looking for a position in the company. To think I was one of the people who defended you on another thread here about you taking an hour to do the plugs on your Max....I came here to make freinds with people who had my car, (or at least something close to it) I don't want to bicker and beef over this crap, so please don't put it into people's minds that I am BSSing anyone. I am not.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Need A Light?

To EPACY,
My grammar? And Empty Promises? First off, I am sorry you have been burnt before my friend, but I could care less if you like what I have to say or not. I have been working with someone on doing this, and their name will be revealed with the product. I personally have been trying to calm everyone down after even mentioning the spacer was being developed. I have received NUMEROUS emails with questions about it. My GRAMMAR is not the issue at hand here, and just because I did not have the time after working a 14 Hour day to run home and post Dyno and run files to PROVE to YOU that I am not lying, does not mean anything. If someone else that came on this site had promised you all something, then I apologize. I am not here to ask for funding by the way...someone is providing that to me already..their name..COMMERCE BANK. That's right...I am paying out of my own pocket and didn't ask anyone here for a dime, nor would I ever. I didn't plan to sell these either here, or on Ebay. OH Epacy, I have a tell tale sign for you my friend...as far as my grammar goes, I am usually in a rush because I do have other things to do in my life. My grammar and spelling were good enough on my resume to land me a position as the Senior Finance Manager for a Fortune 500 company called Pitney Bowes.....Feel free to call me anytime if you are looking for a position in the company. To think I was one of the people who defended you on another thread here about you taking an hour to do the plugs on your Max....I came here to make freinds with people who had my car, (or at least something close to it) I don't want to bicker and beef over this crap, so please don't put it into people's minds that I am BSSing anyone. I am not.
i understand....just a bit skeptical since you only joined last week (4-25-06)
Old 05-02-2006, 03:48 PM

I just PMmed Epacy telling him the same thing.. I am here to make friends not enemies. I have no cause for war, and certainly do not want to waste my time writing things that aren't true. What else was promised to the members here that was not developed???? The spacer was actually easy.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:09 PM
Need A Light?

I just PMmed Epacy telling him the same thing.. I am here to make friends not enemies. I have no cause for war, and certainly do not want to waste my time writing things that aren't true. What else was promised to the members here that was not developed???? The spacer was actually easy.
hopefully this thing comes through....i would like to have a cheap and effective mod to do for my maxie during the summer....so cal 100+ degree weather blows!

Quick Reply: Plenum Spacer pulled 3 times on Dyno FYI