5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rear Suspension/Axle Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 03:00 PM

Rear Suspension/Axle Help

Warning: Slightly long read, If you dont wanna read, then look at the pics and tell me what you think is wrong.

First, I wanna start you guys off with some background information on the pictures I am about to post. My 2002 maxima was bought last may. Around July I was coming back from a night club in NYC and was basically hit at a 90 degree angle in my rear right wheel. By 90 degree I mean that his front of the car hit the wheel directly.

At the time, the guy left and I had also left after looking at the car and seeing no major damage. I had a very light scratch on the rear bumper part of the arch around the wheel and the wheel itself looked very scractched up. After driving that whole night I had no vibration or anything at all that would lead me to believe that there is any large problem.

About a month after that(in august) I realized that the wheeel was slightly bent not the rim itself but the wheel itself was positioned a little off. After having it looked at a mechanic that I usually go to told me that I needed to replace the rear crossmember. I wanted to replace it but had no clue if that was the actual part. He basically pointed to the whole rear beam and on the right side said it was slightly bent.

Approximately a month after the diagnosis(october) I was reading a thread on the org and someone had said that the car can even be driven without the crossmember suggesting to me that this cannot be the culprit.

NOW it is May again, I've had the car for one year but this week I have noticed that the wheel is looking very bad and that the inside of the tire has massive wear while the outside is looking pretty new. Therefore, I turn to you, the .org for help on this matter. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks and check out the pics:

Old 05-04-2006, 02:46 PM

If no one has an answer as to what the problem is then can someone at least confrim that its definately not the rear crossmember?
Old 05-04-2006, 04:42 PM

It could be that the axle beam is bent in some way. The best way to tell is to let a good wheel alignment shop take a look at it. The axle beam itself doesn't seem to cost that much.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...=1&catalogid=2
Old 05-04-2006, 06:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I took a look at the service manual and the spindle is non replaceable. You will need to replace the whole beam. You may want to replace the struts too. It may be bent at the base.

Ziro
Old 05-04-2006, 06:45 PM

It looks like a bent strut stem. I had bent struts and it would wear to the inners and the outside would have lots of tread. If it were your spindle, hub or bearing, then you would hear a loud clanking noise each time that the wheel rolls.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:42 AM

No noise at all. Only the fact that it looks like that and its getting worse is making me want to resolve this asap. Other then looks and tire wear, the car just drives 99 percent normal. This week after the wheel got a little worse I actually feel it a little on the highway. But definately no noise.