5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Hydro-Gen

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hydro-Gen

Hey anyone seen this before?

http://www.savefuel.ca/

Anyone has it installed? Is it worth it? Does it make a difference in your fuel consumption?

Thanks for any comments
Old 05-06-2006, 07:38 AM
mjk
Head shot!!!

I've read about something like this a few months ago. I believe it was on gizmag, anyway, it had a similar idea but it was aimed at semi trucks because of it 7k price tag...
Old 05-06-2006, 07:56 AM

well this one only cost $247 bucks...
i don't know i might try it ... on their website it says

"...Should you find that the Hydro-Gen does not give you a reasonable level of fuel savings, return the unit to us, and we will refund your money..."
Old 05-06-2006, 08:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

sounds resonable considered the chemistry behind it...the technique was done years and years ago..if i remeber history well; it was on diesel engines in submarines in WWII. I think the germans had a hydrogen peroxide engine that does the same thing here but it was super fast.

If i had enough money to do this...id do it in a heartbeat
Old 05-06-2006, 08:57 AM

How does this effect octane and detonation?
Old 05-07-2006, 11:12 AM

if anyone have tryed it please let me post because id get it with a heart beat if it works
Old 05-07-2006, 11:18 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Interesting...
Old 05-07-2006, 12:26 PM

as long as our engine can handle hydrogen, theres no doubt that this works. who wants to try it out first?
Old 05-07-2006, 01:02 PM
mjk
Head shot!!!

there should also be hp gains. increase in efficiency= hp+mileage
Old 05-07-2006, 01:03 PM

hey id give my car to be a ginny pig who wants to buy it for me while i still have the 3.0
Old 05-07-2006, 04:42 PM

interested to see if anyone is gonna try this. kinda looks shady to me though.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i'm gonna do it!...i'll have to order this at the end of the month..i need some mad cash for this...I'll keep you guys posted on this project

till then...the quest for more mpg and less gas price continues...
Old 05-07-2006, 07:36 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Dude, GO FOR IT!!!!

Props to you for taking the initiative. You could very well be the first one to be the ginuea pig and wind up saving all of us on the org ALOT of money.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:19 PM

The unit itself seems kind of large, room in the engine bay?
Old 05-07-2006, 09:45 PM

Are you guys serious?
Old 05-08-2006, 09:02 AM

Hydrogen injection works, but not from this unit.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:35 AM

Couldn't you just build this yourself and save about $200 and test it that way?
Old 05-14-2006, 01:17 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by Barc
Couldn't you just build this yourself and save about $200 and test it that way?
How would you build one? By virtue of your post, I assume you are capable of doing so?
Old 05-14-2006, 01:54 PM

The first law of thermodynamics is clear on this point; you cannot get more energy out of a system than you put into it.

you would make better use of the $247 on a engine oil bypass kit, some cross-drilled brake lines, a blinker fluid change or maybee a tornado fuel saver.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:10 PM

I've researched this a lot. The hydro-gen systems are crap and they use bad electrodes. There are 2 methods. Chemical and electrolysis. The electric method works when you want it but doesn't produce as much hydrogen as the chemical method.

I've talked this over with a chemist and it won't hurt the engine.

Hydrogen boost is another company but it's twice the price. I've been told their electrodes last longer. I don't have a unit in my car and I don't plan to. Aero mods and engine tuning has so far shown that it will increase mpg for sure. Hydrogen injection with fuel results always been sketchy like the tornado.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
How would you build one? By virtue of your post, I assume you are capable of doing so?
Using the plans avaiable online for FREE! hehe The ones on wikipedia are more involved and less likely to explode than the one he's selling. Yes, I could build one but I wouldn't bank on it being effective; of course, the one he's selling would be just as effective (i.e. hardly at all).

Mythbusters did a show last week on a this very subject and tried to run the car on what was produced from a MUCH bigger unit. Of course, the car didn't even start. They also DID run the car entirely on H2 from a tank of compressed gas but had a backfire and kind of shut down the theory of H2 being very safe on a standard engine due to the risk of fire...

In short, is it possible to run a car on H2? Very much so. Is it likely that this little device that produces tiny H2 bubbles will improve your gas mileage enough to be worth $247 when you can find plans online for free? I highly doubt it.

Look it up; that's why we have google!
Old 05-15-2006, 02:59 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

D'amn. Pwn3d. I'll have to look into this.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:02 PM

the hydro-gen thing doesn't work. they tried it on myth busters and they couldn't get the car to start when they directly fed it the hydrogren from the hydro-gen machine. however, hydrogen will work if you can produce enough it at once. generating hydrogen through electrolysis is a very slow process.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
D'amn. Pwn3d. I'll have to look into this.
Nah, you're definately not pwn3d. You've contributed so much to this forum, it's not even funny!

As for H2 on wiki... http://peswiki.com/index.php/OS:Joe_Cell:Replication:Hotsabi's_e-Cell

There is some info there about the Joe Cell also... Now if you're into way out ways to produce energy, look that one up!
Old 05-15-2006, 06:11 PM

whether or not the car will run on hydrogen is not realy the point, A fully charged battery is attached to the electrodes of a hydrogen generator. The hydrogen generator uses electrical energy to brake the bonds of water molecules to produce hydrogen and oxygen gasses. These gasses are then delivered to an internal combustion engine where they are recombined into water. In this process some of the energy that was used to separate the water into hydrogen and oxygen is recovered. About 1/3 of the energy released from the combustion of hydrogen and oxygen in the internal combustion engine leaves the engine in the form of shaft work. This shaft work is used to propel the car. The other 2/3 is lost to heat transfer, frictional losses, and combustion inefficiencies.

If we stop there, we really have a very inefficient battery powered car. It would be much more efficient if we had just hooked the battery up to a DC motor.

Those who have no grasp of the first law of thermodynamics then continue as follows:

Some of the shaft work is used to spin a generator, which then charges the battery. If you try this you will find you cannot keep your battery charged on what you get from the generator alone. In fact, because of the inefficiency of the energy conversion, your battery will run down if you send all the shaft work to the generator.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Roy
If we stop there, we really have a very inefficient battery powered car. It would be much more efficient if we had just hooked the battery up to a DC motor.

Those who have no grasp of the first law of thermodynamics then continue as follows:

Some of the shaft work is used to spin a generator, which then charges the battery. If you try this you will find you cannot keep your battery charged on what you get from the generator alone. In fact, because of the inefficiency of the energy conversion, your battery will run down if you send all the shaft work to the generator.
You mean this perpetual motion machine I built won't work!?

So that's why it just keeps getting faster and faster!

Very good write-up Doc.