5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Canuck Motorsports Springs....?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 06:31 PM
retired moderator

Canuck Motorsports Springs....?

Anyone used them? Search didn't turn up any 5th genners using them, though a couple of 4th gen guys have, and compared them to Eibachs in terms of drop/ride/handling. They're canadian, and the price is pretty good.

I've inquired to them as to spring rates and whether they are linear or progressive rate.....hopefully a response tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:11 AM

I'd be interested to hear what they say. The info I have on them is that they are linear at f/r 2.2/5.7 Kg/mm (125/320 lb/in) with a 1.8/1.8 in drop. They claim they are only "10-15% stiffer than stock", but something doesn't seem right to me as the front rate seems very soft for such a short spring. Also, if the f/r difference is indeed that high, I'd expect a high oversteer.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had a set on my 2k2, they were ok, at least for an old guy. Luv the color, burgandy. Not too stiff.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:34 AM

Hmmmmmmmmm... The Canuck Motorsports springs?!! I've never heard that ones before. Well checked them out, and they give 5th gen Maxima's 1.6 drop all around. Don't know if they're good in qaulity like H-techs and handle like Eibachs. Hmmmm...they're sure cheaper though.
According to Jemi the ride quality should be pretty good, and I believe him since he's an older person and usually lowering springs are always rough for people like him. Well eventually ride quality is not the only thing that these need to have.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:45 PM

A lot of Toronto guys have them on their 4th gens and highly recommend them to others. They apparently have a better drop for the 4th gen than the 5th gen though. But I haven't heard any complaints about them.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:39 PM

I was close to getting these springs but then a friend reminded me that in terms of performance mods, you do get what you pay for. So i'm skpetical about these since they're 1/2 the price of name brands (eibach,H&R etc)
IMHO, I would rather save a bit more to get a decent set of springs.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:15 PM

I bought Jimes CM springs with tokico illuminas to put on my 02. (Great deal btw ) I was coming off of a stock setup with a blown rear shock so initial impressions were very good.

The drop was perfect I was so pleased with the feel and look. But i didn’t have much room for adjusting the tokicos. 3 was the lowest I could go without hitting the bumpstops coming down my street. The "shock transfer" of quick changes in the road surface (i.e. Toronto's notorious 401) was getting unbearable. I also found that my other friends coilover setup on his 2000 max was less harsh under normal conditions, but performed better as far as Hwy response and feel go.

I have since returned to stock springs with the tokicos and I couldn’t be happier. I can dial in stock comfort for the long family trips, or turn it up for some fun. I will most likely try another lowering spring setup in the future as I miss the dropped feel.

I do alot of driving with a wife and 2 kids, so there is also only so much "performance" I can take. Therefore my opinion may be somewhat biased. Some people can deal with the rattling dash in their luxary sedan, I am not one of them.

I do firmly believe that in this case, you get what you pay for.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:35 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I had them for less than a year. They were too low and on the bumps too much. The look was good, a shorter strut would have helped greatly. I emailed them for the rates. They said they are all progressive. I did post them on here. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ghlight=canuck

I too am baffled at the low front rate. I emailed them again to conferm. The rear springs are nice, not a low drop, with a high rate. I am back on Eibachs and am happy for now.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:47 PM
retired moderator

here is the info that they just sent to me:

Canuck Motorsports Springs (00-03 Maxima)
Drop 1.8" front, 1.6" rear
Progressive rate
front initial rate 125 (high rate not supplied), rear (probably linear) rate 320

a little soft up front, perhaps someone should suggest to them to stiffen them up a bit to avoid bottoming out the bumpstops...
Old 05-17-2006, 04:33 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

IIRC Eibach (4th gen) is 166-343 front and rear.

You are the kind of driver who needs Hyperco springs. If you dont know, they make racing springs, but have done limited runs for groups of people. The SR20forum had them made for the B13 and B14 chassis. They are high rate (I do think linear), with a small drop to keep wheel travel. Its too bad there is not enough intrest on this forum. Most on here just want to drop the car on the gorund and could care less about handling and ride. Tein S techs you know.

I know you really dont want to drop and more money and go with coilovers, though it seems you need a set. I suggest steering away from the CMS, unless you use just the rears.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:47 AM

Any pics???

Hmmm any pics of these on a car??????? I'm thinking that the drop should be the lowest with the best comfort compare to the other springs like H-techs and H&Rs. So what about handling now?
Old 05-17-2006, 02:27 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by JSutter
IIRC Eibach (4th gen) is 166-343 front and rear.

You are the kind of driver who needs Hyperco springs. If you dont know, they make racing springs, but have done limited runs for groups of people. The SR20forum had them made for the B13 and B14 chassis. They are high rate (I do think linear), with a small drop to keep wheel travel. Its too bad there is not enough intrest on this forum. Most on here just want to drop the car on the gorund and could care less about handling and ride. Tein S techs you know.

I know you really dont want to drop and more money and go with coilovers, though it seems you need a set. I suggest steering away from the CMS, unless you use just the rears.
yeah, definitely too soft for my purposes, but I wanted to find out the info on them. Will probably go with Boss Chens this winter when the fundage is available, in the meantime it's back to my reliable, rusty, linear Maxspeeds