5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Place Racing + Hybrid CAI - nice results

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 02:04 PM
retired moderator

Place Racing + Hybrid CAI - nice results

Well, I got my hands on an old, hardly-used Place Racing "true" CAI. They're hard to get these days since Place Racing is no longer in business, and Cattman no longer sells their version of the PR CAI either.

I decided to try the "downpipe" using the OEM midpipe section (where the vacuum tubes plug in) instead of the PR midpipe (which looks just like a Berk/Frankencar)....in an attempt to hold on to the low-end, which gets lost so easily with most intakes.

In any case, i couldn't use this midpipe anyhow since it's from an 02-03 and only has one vac tube, not the "triple head" that the 00-01 needs. Also this one didn't have any hole for the air temperature sensor (since the 02-03's are integrated into the MAF tube)...so I had to cut a hole for it.

Results:

Good:
- After limited test driving, the low end seems to still be there. No loss at all (I noticed the loss immediately with my old Frankencar).
- Mid-range it "seems" to pull harder (butt dyno)
- Didn't do much top-end, but the few 1st/2nd gear runs felt fine.
- SOund is nice...not too loud, but you can hear it at 1/2 to WOT.
- The "intake whistling" that most intakes get is here too, but it is VERY faint. I could only hear it with the windows open and radio off in a quiet neighborhood. Not nearly as loud as the Frankencar/Apexi setup whistle.

Bad:
- WHAT A PAIN IN THE *** TO INSTALL!!! The hole that needs to be cut in the fender is VERY difficult to get to with any cutting tools. Damn near every stage of installation is difficult here due to the tight spaces involved. Especially with all the main electric bus wires running down in that area to the fuse boxes underhood.
- The PR template is a bit small. I had to enlarge the hole twice to get the pipe through. No big deal, but I strongly suggest using a 3 1/2" metal cutting bit rather than the 3" bit I used, plus a ton of dremeling.
- I don't care what PR or others say, there was NO way the fuse box would bolt back into its stock position, even with the white plastic piece on the bottom removed. Simply not room. I ended up cutting off the tab closer to the back of the car and just bolting it back in with the front, but it sits at a bit of an angle up now. Doesn't touch the hood or move, so no worries. But still a bit of a PITA.
- Obviously the issue of cleaning the filter is going to be a pain, but it's not more than about a 15-minute job to get it in and out, though you have to jack up the car to get the splashguards and wheel liner out enough to reach the filter clamp.

Overall, seems good to me. Looks nice under the hood and clears out all the stock airbox garbage. Only time and more testing will tell the performance once the ECU learns it.

finally, some pics:

can also see the Stillen camber plates in this one, installed last month

Old 05-24-2006, 02:56 PM
mjk
Head shot!!!

good job. I used a power drill to cut that hole.... the installation gets easier after a while, but getting into the fender well always sucks... will suck to clean that filter in the winter though,

have fun with that bad boy
Old 05-24-2006, 03:10 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Yeah I kinda wish I didn't sell mine but I can live without it. Actually it's easier to take the filter off and clean then you think. All you really got to do is take out a couple of the plastic pins out and pull it away from the bumper and get your socket on the filter and loosen it up and take it out. You'll be cleaning it more often to.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:10 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by MyownNismo
Yeah I kinda wish I didn't sell mine but I can live without it. Actually it's easier to take the filter off and clean then you think. All you really got to do is take out a couple of the plastic pins out and pull it away from the bumper and get your socket on the filter and loosen it up and take it out. You'll be cleaning it more often to.
so why'd you sell it and get an Injen?
Old 05-24-2006, 05:13 PM
THIS IS...

Dude, that is awesome. Nice work irish!
Old 05-24-2006, 05:21 PM
mjk
Head shot!!!

ok, so u inspired me. I took out my battery and stuck a 3inch bend pipe into that hole to draw called air into the engine bay right next to the filter (filter is in the engine bay). then I put some of the stock intake plastic back in to block hot air and to draw more cold air in at higher speeds... im waiting for a bigger filter lol. all this for maybe 1hp =]

but it might be good against heat soaking
Old 05-26-2006, 02:38 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by mjk
ok, so u inspired me. I took out my battery and stuck a 3inch bend pipe into that hole to draw called air into the engine bay right next to the filter (filter is in the engine bay). then I put some of the stock intake plastic back in to block hot air and to draw more cold air in at higher speeds... im waiting for a bigger filter lol. all this for maybe 1hp =]

but it might be good against heat soaking
post pics when you finish so we can see....
Old 05-26-2006, 02:50 PM

nice work irish,have you had that intake under the hood while autocrossing yet? also how was the install on the camber plates?
Old 05-26-2006, 02:53 PM
retired moderator

camber plate install is easy...just like installing the upper strut mount, pretty much. The intake just went on the other day, so no...next autocross is June 17th....though small power mods don't really effect autocross all the much....autocross is more about handling and driving skill than it is about power...
Old 05-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Originally Posted by irish44j
so why'd you sell it and get an Injen?
Cause I was stupid. but if I wanted to I could make a new one at work. If I could find my notes on it I believe it was a straight piece with 2 30 degree bends in it.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:23 PM
mjk
Head shot!!!

edit: no more complains pls
Old 05-26-2006, 07:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Why is there so much rust in your engine bay?!
Old 05-26-2006, 08:06 PM
retired moderator

mjk:

1. dude, smaller pics. Those jumbos are KILLING me! Resize those bishes.

2. what are you trying to show us? I see an Apexi filter, but not sure what else (can't look at the whole pic at once!!)
Old 05-26-2006, 08:23 PM
Custom User Title

Looks like a pipe coming from under the battery.
(2nd pic)
Old 05-26-2006, 08:38 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Had mine on for a few months and felt low-end loss. I think low-end loss is more noticeable in autos.... Sold it............
Old 05-26-2006, 08:53 PM

i don't think the PR CAI is a very good design (even though i'm running one myself). my fuse box wouldnt go back in either, w/ the white plastic piece removed as well. i've never used any other aftermarket intake setup on the max so i couldn't provide any opinion on power loss and such.. the sound is indeed nice however.. i've ran WAI mode for a couple weeks and didn't like it nearly as much (more annoying).
Old 05-26-2006, 09:04 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by MIKE2K2
Looks like a pipe coming from under the battery.
(2nd pic)
ah...I see it now...duh.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:04 PM
mjk
Head shot!!!

thats a cheap filter, my PR filters got chewed up by my dogs... I ordered an oversized K&N but hasnt arrived yet
Old 05-27-2006, 07:09 AM
the org...not what it was

Hey Josh are you going to put up any sound clips?
Old 05-27-2006, 07:18 AM

my buddy with a 03 speck v has a cai just like PR one, and recently drove through a puddle that didnt look that big, anwyay ended up sucking up water and warped his piston rods, u can actually see like a 15 degree bend in 2 of them!!! i think its seriously not worth the risk. if u are id recoment one of those water bypass valves. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAXIM...69057709QQrdZ1
Old 05-27-2006, 08:24 AM

w/ the design of the PR CAI, you cannot suck up water unless you decide to drive through a lake...
Old 05-27-2006, 10:27 AM
mjk
Head shot!!!

unless its modified to sit lower, etc
Old 05-28-2006, 06:00 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by super6
my buddy with a 03 speck v has a cai just like PR one, and recently drove through a puddle that didnt look that big, anwyay ended up sucking up water and warped his piston rods, u can actually see like a 15 degree bend in 2 of them!!! i think its seriously not worth the risk. if u are id recoment one of those water bypass valves. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAXIM...69057709QQrdZ1
There is both the AEM bypass valves, and also Injen makes a water-resitant filter cover (which still allows air in, but repels splash water) as well...I may try one or both, we'll see. The Guy in the SpecV probably didn't have the splash guards on....it would be tough for any significant amount of water to get up to where the filter sits, which is almost 2 feet off the ground....
Old 05-29-2006, 04:31 PM
Toolie

I've got the injen hydroshield. It's dry as a bone, I don't think it's ever got wet.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:29 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
I've got the injen hydroshield. It's dry as a bone, I don't think it's ever got wet.
good to hear it's effective, I'll have to pick one up. Did you notice any air restriction when using it?
Old 05-30-2006, 04:07 PM
mjk
Head shot!!!

small came out, big went in. I even resized it for yuus
Old 05-30-2006, 06:06 PM
retired moderator

update: really liking this setup. Power is there throughout the entire range, with absolutely no low-end loss like you get with the Injen and short-rams. It was 94 degrees here today, and I ran the A/C full for most of the day, and the car still felt smooth and powerful on hard accelleration.

Old 05-30-2006, 06:56 PM

with all the scare tactics from the dealership about filters and trashing maf's (which i replaced 2 months ago on my 00 max se) i would prefer to not go through that again.

Irish, please share your opinions on drop in k&n filters either worth it or not vs short rams. I am looking for slight mods nothing major like cutting holes to shove 3" pipes through my fender.

Is there a compromise you would recco, or would you suggest to go big or stay home!
Old 05-30-2006, 07:13 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by compx
with all the scare tactics from the dealership about filters and trashing maf's (which i replaced 2 months ago on my 00 max se) i would prefer to not go through that again.

Irish, please share your opinions on drop in k&n filters either worth it or not vs short rams. I am looking for slight mods nothing major like cutting holes to shove 3" pipes through my fender.

Is there a compromise you would recco, or would you suggest to go big or stay home!
Just get do GAB....it's as good or better than any of the short-rams.
Here's my version of the GAB, which worked well. Oh, and it's a free mod that actually gives you the same gains as any short-ram....

Old 05-30-2006, 08:21 PM

Looks great. Nice work once again!
Old 05-30-2006, 09:36 PM

good job irish. i had the same probs installing my Nismo intake. not to mention the battery was also in the way.
solution: turn battery sideways. and the pipe was able to fit more better. still the fuse box is mounted at a slight angle but nothing that has had any detremental effects. check my sig, there should be a few pics of the install.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:38 PM

I'm wondering if I should go for the place racing CAI in the for sale section or get a berk intake.... still dont know about this one.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:50 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by sciff5
I'm wondering if I should go for the place racing CAI in the for sale section or get a berk intake.... still dont know about this one.
Hacked airbox FTW. (PAB) Aftermarket intakes are too loud IMO.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
isnt the GAB pretty loud too?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:58 PM
dot dot dot ...

It doesn't wail like open filter set ups. IMO sounds cleaner. But this is all my digitized 2 pennys.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:12 AM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by kingofsorrow
good job irish. i had the same probs installing my Nismo intake. not to mention the battery was also in the way.
solution: turn battery sideways. and the pipe was able to fit more better. still the fuse box is mounted at a slight angle but nothing that has had any detremental effects. check my sig, there should be a few pics of the install.
nice...I may have to think about doing that as well. Also considering relocating the battery to the trunk for better weight distro, but we'll see.
Is that an AEM water bypass valve on your intake?

Originally Posted by NmexMax
Actually, the PR one is no louder than my GAB/PAB setup was, and much quieter than the Frankencar setup. I can just barely hear the intake, and only at near WOT....
Old 05-31-2006, 10:13 AM
retired moderator

sciff, I would go with the PR one over the Berk...Berk is same as Frankencar (which I had), and the PR is FAR superior in performance, in my opinion, and not nearly as loud.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:12 PM
dot dot dot ...

Well then one of us better ****** that one up in the 5g classifieds
Old 05-31-2006, 02:27 PM
Banned

Well, since Irish posted his modified intake, here's mine:

It's an Injen with the down-pipe removed (simple: just take off the downpipe and put the filter directly onto the MAF). I immediately noticed that I gained my torque back and lost that annoying Injen sound! It now has a deeper growl rather than a whine. Oh, and Irish, notice that the pic shows MY "camber plates".... I think I finally got the D2's dialed in right. My wife still hates the ride, but finds it somewhat tolerable now.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:34 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Originally Posted by GBAUER
Well, since Irish posted his modified intake, here's mine:

It's an Injen with the down-pipe removed (simple: just take off the downpipe and put the filter directly onto the MAF). I immediately noticed that I gained my torque back and lost that annoying Injen sound! It now has a deeper growl rather than a whine. Oh, and Irish, notice that the pic shows MY "camber plates".... I think I finally got the D2's dialed in right. My wife still hates the ride, but finds it somewhat tolerable now.
That's what I did too.

Quick Reply: Place Racing + Hybrid CAI - nice results