5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Engine Guru's Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 07:42 PM

Engine Guru's Help!

Ok guys, a little background, for the past 6 or so months Ive been having problems with my starter (this infamous wooooo noise) at start up. I had to get 3 replaced (all under warranty) because of apparently a bad set of parts that this one supplier received, anyway after the most recent replacement of which my mechanic used a different supplier everything was great, until tonight. After having the car parked for about 2-3 hours, i returned to it to leave the library. I started the car up and as i pulled out the car began to buck very abruptly for about three or so seconds. I looked down at my gauges and now I had the "Service Engine Soon" light on. the last time this happened with my starter it was P1335 Crankshaft position sensor. Now my question is, could my habit of holding the ignition on for a few extra seconds longer than needed (becuase the old starters never really operated correctly) caused the sensor to trip again and is it just a matter of getting my mechanic to clear the ses light?

thanks!
Old 05-24-2006, 08:08 PM
retired moderator

I suppose it "could" - the starter has a mechanism which retracts it when you stop cranking, and maybe that is sticking.

I'm not sure what you mean by "infamous woowoo noise..." The only "woowoo" noise that I'm aware of is the one associated with the clutch throwout bearing (mine has been making that noise for, oh, about 40k miles now!).

Are you sure it was your starter that was the problem in the first place and that they didn't just give you a poor diagnosis?
Old 05-24-2006, 08:41 PM

Thanks for the reply Irish, by wooo maybe i should have said errooo noise, the people who have had a starter problem hear know what I am referring to because when it first happened, I posted it here and everyone knew what I meant.

anyway, yes I am confident in my mechanic, the last time it happened i had them drop the trasmission and check everything from the flywheel to the clutch and the starter, everything else was in working order, they ordered a replacement starter and everything went back to normal (this was about a week ago today) and then what I said in the first post occured. I know this doesnt really help much without knowing what the exact code is, but i figured i'd give it a shot by asking.

I'm going to call my mechanic tomorrow morning and see if he can see it real quick, and on the way there I'll stop by Autozone to get the code read for free then just ask my mech to clear the code if it is indeed the same code as last time.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ditto

Originally Posted by EdgeX
Thanks for the reply Irish, by wooo maybe i should have said errooo noise, the people who have had a starter problem hear know what I am referring to because when it first happened, I posted it here and everyone knew what I meant.

anyway, yes I am confident in my mechanic, the last time it happened i had them drop the trasmission and check everything from the flywheel to the clutch and the starter, everything else was in working order, they ordered a replacement starter and everything went back to normal (this was about a week ago today) and then what I said in the first post occured. I know this doesnt really help much without knowing what the exact code is, but i figured i'd give it a shot by asking.

I'm going to call my mechanic tomorrow morning and see if he can see it real quick, and on the way there I'll stop by Autozone to get the code read for free then just ask my mech to clear the code if it is indeed the same code as last time.
I'm looking to fix this myself, my stealership told me I was fine a couple of months ago when I was in for regular maintenance, even though I explained it. So I started a thread as I saw awhile back someone posted a how to pictorial. Hoping someone can link and hook us up.
Good luck with the mechanic are they getting refurbs or junkyard parts?