5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

PLEASE HELP!! Big problem with strut

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006 | 04:33 PM

PLEASE HELP!! Big problem with strut

So to start off I've already searched and couldnt find the answer I needed. This is a 02 with stock suspension btw. My girlfriend hit a pothole today really hard and now the front right wheel makes a loud popping sound whenever it goes over a bump. I popped the hood and when you push down on that right side of the car I can see the "top hat" bolt in the center of the strut move up then back down and "clack" when you let that car back up. I compared it to the left side and the bolt is not tightened down nearly as far as the other side. So I got out the socket wrench and breaker bar and started cranking it down (the bolt is loose not tight like the other side) and it just spins! it wont tighten down. It wont back up either, it just stays in the exact same position, but I know I'm turning it. I'd say you can see like 1 "notch" of thread in the center above the bolt if that makes sense, compared to 4-5 notches on the other side. I know I dont want that bolt popping off because it holds the spring down. Do I need a whole new strut or what? Is there some trick to tightening that bolt down? I read a bunch of how-to's for installing new struts and they all just say to remove/tighten etc. once the spring has been compressed. Any advise is greatly appreciated, thanks very much

shaz
Old 06-02-2006 | 04:42 PM
The Visionary...

you might have to rent a some spring compressors and re compress the spring to retighten the tophat. that is if the threads aren't stripped. You wont be able to tighten the nut while the spring isnt compressed because the bolt the nut is on spins freely, along with the top hat. hope this helped.
Old 06-02-2006 | 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Split Level
you might have to rent a some spring compressors and re compress the spring to retighten the tophat. that is if the threads aren't stripped. You wont be able to tighten the nut while the spring isnt compressed because the bolt the nut is on spins freely, along with the top hat. hope this helped.
thanks for the reply. I made a mark on the bolt to see if it was turning when I was cranking the nut and its not. But I will try compressing the spring and then tightening it. If the thread are stripped on the bolt do I have to replace the strut? Also, can I compress the spring while the strut is attached to the car or do I have to take the strut out and do it? thanks
Old 06-02-2006 | 04:54 PM
The Visionary...

I dont think its possible to compress the spring while still on the car because of the extra width of the compressors and the nut you have to turn. Even if it is it will probably be alot harder then it needs to be, just take it off the car. It's alot easier and faster. The biggest problem I had was the strut bolt connecting the strut to the axel. PB Blaster and a breaker should make short work of it. I'm not positive but I think you would have to replace the entire strut if the bolt is stripped.
Old 06-03-2006 | 12:08 PM

If there is any damage to the hat/spring seat I would defiantly put the spring compressors on before taking the strut/spring assembly out of the car. If not just for safety reasons.

As far as being able to loosen/tighten the strut lock nut, you should be able to do this. The strut shaft has a "D" shaped end which mates with the same shape hole in the hat. Without this, there would be no way to tighten/remove the locknut from the strut. If one side is all of a sudden like you said, 4 threads off when compared with the other side, only 2 ways that would happen that i can think of, threads were sheered off (highly unlikely if even possible) or the nut was never on right to begin with.

You mentioned using a breaker bar, I would be careful with that, the torque rating for that nut is only 44-65 ft-lb.

Either way, from your explanation I would think you have a fairly serious issue on your hands. I would strongly recommend that you remove the entire strut/spring assembly (not a difficult process) and get some spring compressors on it BEFORE you remove any of the retaining bolts. As the damage is unknown, and it directly related to the only part holding your spring in place, you don’t want to play around with that. If your not familiar with this kind of work, it would prob be safer to let a mechanic look at it.

The hat D shaped hole might be filed right out by the shaft bouncing around (assuming that the holding luck nut was not on properly to begin with), or there is some other kind of damage to the strut shaft itself. Perhaps the nut was cross threaded during the previous installation.
Old 06-03-2006 | 07:20 PM

Thanks for the reply's. I got the strut off the car today and took the spring off. The threads are all messed up on the strut shaft and the nut is totally shot, its almost totally smooth inside! I have no idea how this happened. I think it may have been cross threaded at some other time and then the pot hole knocked the nut back up a bit. Anyways, all the Nissan part shops were closed today so I couldnt get a new strut. Is it okay to leave the spring with the compressors on it for a day or two or should I take them off for now?
Old 06-03-2006 | 08:27 PM
The Visionary...

I don't see why not. If the spring was still on the car it would be compressed anyway.
Old 06-05-2006 | 07:30 AM

So there are NO nissan dealers in my area with the strut in stock and I need to get my car back on the road asap. I checked out NAPA and they have a Monroe Sensa-Trac brand I could buy. Would that be OK or should I stick with the Nissan? Also, a buddy told me that struts are like tires and that if I'm changing the front right I should also change the front left, is that true? If I went with the NAPA should I just buy two and do the other side as well? Thanks again

shaz
Old 06-05-2006 | 07:47 AM
Seoul Man

Your buddy isn't necessarily wrong. Struts wear over time. If you're replacing the damper (strut) on one side, you might want to do it on the other side too. You wouldn't want your left and right sides behaving differently as the springs compress and rebound.
Old 06-05-2006 | 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by spiromax
Your buddy isn't necessarily wrong. Struts wear over time. If you're replacing the damper (strut) on one side, you might want to do it on the other side too. You wouldn't want your left and right sides behaving differently as the springs compress and rebound.
Any opinion on that generic Monro brand strut? Is it worth buying the Nissan or a Tokico? I can get the front two Tokico A32 Blue's overnighted to my house for 238
Old 06-05-2006 | 11:14 AM

A good idea may be to get monroe struts from Advanced or O'Reilly's or a cheaper way to to go is to get the whole strut assembly from a junk yard and only get new bearings put in.

check this site out

http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/703

good luck !!!
Old 06-07-2006 | 05:50 PM

clank = bad strut mount.
Old 06-08-2006 | 03:13 PM

Well I ended up ordering my stock struts and they're here. The only problem now is I need a replacement for the "top hat". The rubber boot on the bottom is almost totally ripped off. Does anyone know the proper name for that part? I ordered a "strut mount" but that's the very top piece. Thanks

shaz
Old 06-10-2006 | 09:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by shaz
Well I ended up ordering my stock struts and they're here. The only problem now is I need a replacement for the "top hat". The rubber boot on the bottom is almost totally ripped off. Does anyone know the proper name for that part? I ordered a "strut mount" but that's the very top piece. Thanks

shaz
If you are talking about the accordian boot, it's called the strut bumper.
Old 06-12-2006 | 05:31 PM

Monroe makes the same thing it's called a strut MATE boot kit. I bought mine at pep boys.

Also avail at advanced & o'reilly's. should be around $11 each

If you do end up getting this, ignore the diag on the box. it don't make sense.

The bumper goes upside down to what they have on their box

then the retaining ring goes on the bottom of the bumper

finally the top of the dust boot attaches to the ret ring

cable tie goes on the bottom.

slide it over your extended strut before tying the cable tie on the bottom.

If you're still stuck call the 800 # on the box

Hope this helps !!!
Old 06-12-2006 | 06:31 PM

One thing i noticed when swapping out my suspension on my 2k2 is that OE Nissan struts are tokico. Funny coincidence when installing tokico illuminas as an aftermarket replacement.