5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Lack of Power after 7500 service What can I tell dealer???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 12:59 AM

I took my car for it's 7500 mile service, it's a 2K GLE (auto), The moment I hit the highway I felt that something was wrong. She seems to climb through the gear as she accelerated so much smoother., no kick. What really did it for me was her inability to peel tires from a standing start with TCS off. My car just will not do it. What can I tell the dealer?? Is there a torque spec that the car should pass. HELP HELP I want my baby back!!!! /Colin
Old 06-19-2001, 01:19 AM

Or is it that they fixed the 1 - 2 and 2 -3 rd gear problem and never told me?
Old 06-19-2001, 05:04 AM
Got Bent?

Knowing Nissan Service, I doubt that they would have fixed your tranny....but that is wierd....
Old 06-19-2001, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by DeTrini
I took my car for it's 7500 mile service, it's a 2K GLE (auto), The moment I hit the highway I felt that something was wrong. She seems to climb through the gear as she accelerated so much smoother., no kick. What really did it for me was her inability to peel tires from a standing start with TCS off. My car just will not do it. What can I tell the dealer?? Is there a torque spec that the car should pass. HELP HELP I want my baby back!!!! /Colin
Try removing neg lead of battery let stand for 1 hour reconnect. This will reprogram it made a differrence for me.
Best regards,
Fast Walker
Old 06-20-2001, 10:35 AM

I'm running into a similar problem.. one hot day on some nasty bumpy roads something happened to my SE 5speed that has robbed it of quite a bit of power.

I took it into the dealer and told them what I was experiencing.. they did the normal test drive and diag check .. which showed nothing.. since the mechanic wasn't familier with the normal power rate and since it was driving smoothly .. he reported back "no problem found".

I opened a case with Nissan Customer Care and will be taking the car to a dyno this week or next to get some hard numbers. Although.. Nissan won't take any information or advice from outside sources (that was as quoted from Nissan Cust Care).

On a side note.. if anyone has dyno graphs for a stock Max .. please let me know.. so I have as much info for the interesting times to come. bpace@lightning.net

Good luck on your car.. and as silly as it sounds.. did they over fill your oil by a huge margin? They've done that to me a few times at my local dealership.

(BTW.. if anyone has thoughts on my problem.. let me know as well!)

- Bryan
Old 06-20-2001, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by bry2kse
I'm running into a similar problem.. one hot day on some nasty bumpy roads something happened to my SE 5speed that has robbed it of quite a bit of power.

I took it into the dealer and told them what I was experiencing.. they did the normal test drive and diag check .. which showed nothing.. since the mechanic wasn't familier with the normal power rate and since it was driving smoothly .. he reported back "no problem found".

I opened a case with Nissan Customer Care and will be taking the car to a dyno this week or next to get some hard numbers. Although.. Nissan won't take any information or advice from outside sources (that was as quoted from Nissan Cust Care).

On a side note.. if anyone has dyno graphs for a stock Max .. please let me know.. so I have as much info for the interesting times to come. bpace@lightning.net

Good luck on your car.. and as silly as it sounds.. did they over fill your oil by a huge margin? They've done that to me a few times at my local dealership.

(BTW.. if anyone has thoughts on my problem.. let me know as well!)

- Bryan
Check to see if you crushed your exhaust system or pinched it.....
: >
Old 06-20-2001, 04:37 PM
Got Bent?

here is kind of a stupid thing to check. I take it you still have the stock intake setup. Look at where the intake scoop attaches t the air box. There is a plastic sleeve holding the two together. If that is loose or slipping off, use some duct tape to make sure it stays in place.
Old 06-22-2001, 10:58 AM

I'm going to check both the exhaust and air intake tracts.. another place I am looking is at the "butterfly" valves in the intake runner. From what I understand the valves close when at idle and open up at higher revs. On startup I see the control pieces acutate.. and then reverse when it gets warm.. but when reving the engine up.. I don't ever see them move over to what I believe is the open position.

I called Courtesy Nissan and got a price on an official Nissan shop manual.. $295! Anyone know of a cheaper place to get it?

- Bryan
Old 06-22-2001, 11:36 AM
Got Bent?

let us know what you find....