5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

GAB owners, do you run a snorkle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 08:44 PM
Need A Light?

GAB owners, do you run a snorkle?

Just as the title asks, do you guys actually run the stock snorkle...or do you leave it out to get extra air?

I also would like to know what kind of filter you guys are running? I have an OEM nissan one...but its on the verge of replacement...I wanna get an idea of good quality replacement filters...k&N is a reputable company, but I wanna try to avoid it since it comes oiled...do WIX/Pure one filters do any good?
Old 06-14-2006, 09:02 PM

i actually swapped my stock snorkel out for this one:

well not really, but yes i left the stock one in and im running a k&n filter with it.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:10 PM

i used a regular filter from advanced auto. But when I changed to a WAI, i had tons of **** like leaves and stuff that somehow made it through the filter and was stuck at the MAF screen. Just so you know, the GAB is nice, but you never know without having it properly secured in there.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:23 PM
Driving is the next best thing

I keep the snorkle in the engine bay. Here's the way I see it:

Air does not really come through the top hole if you keep the snorkel. Air comes through the snorkel and escapes through the hole(s) at the top of the airbox. If set up this way, air can freely flow through the "GAB assably" and at speed there's always cold air inside the airbox and, the air pressure inside the airbox always equal to the air pressure outside the car.

Since the temperature and the pressure inside the airbox is the same as it is outside the car this setup gives you the benefits of both short intake and cold air intake at the same time. (you are sucking in cold air every time your car moves & air has to travel only a short distance from your filter to the throttle body.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by DrKlop

Air does not really come through the top hole if you keep the snorkel. Air comes through the snorkel and escapes through the hole(s) at the top of the airbox. If set up this way, air can freely flow through the "GAB assably" and at speed there's always cold air inside the airbox and, the air pressure inside the airbox always equal to the air pressure outside the car.

Since the temperature and the pressure inside the airbox is the same as it is outside the car this setup gives you the benefits of both short intake and cold air intake at the same time. (you are sucking in cold air every time your car moves & air has to travel only a short distance from your filter to the throttle body.
thanks for the prompt reply Klop...can i ask you what filter you are using? I would also be interested in any pictures of your setup? Only becuz I see GAB2 in your sig...I wanna see whats so special about it
Old 06-14-2006, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by steven88
thanks for the prompt reply Klop...can i ask you what filter you are using? I would also be interested in any pictures of your setup? Only becuz I see GAB2 in your sig...I wanna see whats so special about it
as embarrassing as it sounds, I don't remember which airfilter I bought. I had to get a new one ASAP when I bought the car and bought the first one I could find. I believe it's Purolator.

My "GAB2" is something similar to irish's old setup with drilled holes in the filter holder.
The only difference is that I made square holes and there are only 2 of them. lol
Old 06-14-2006, 10:16 PM
Need A Light?

My "GAB2" is something similar to irish's old setup with drilled holes in the filter holder.
The only difference is that I made square holes and there are only 2 of them. lol
So wait...if your GAB2 is like what you described above...then its basically a completely stock airbox and snorkle...except 2 holes drilled onto the filter bracket?

Which setup are you running now? Could you possibly show me a pix?
Old 06-14-2006, 10:32 PM

So wait...if your GAB2 is like what you described above...then its basically a completely stock airbox and snorkle...except 2 holes drilled onto the filter bracket?

yup, stock airbox with only two holes in the filter bracket.
I don't think I lost any low end toque but HP increase over 5k rpm was definitely noticeable. It also sounds different.

I'm ganna take a few pics tomorrow to show you what I'm talking about.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:44 PM
Need A Light?

I'm sorry klop..but could you elaborate more on this? I'm I'm wondering if I should keep the snorkle...or ditch it...and what would be the pros and cons for either route?
Old 06-14-2006, 11:10 PM

I'm sorry klop..but could you elaborate more on this? I'm I'm wondering if I should keep the snorkle...or ditch it...and what would be the pros and cons for either route?
The basic idea is that more air is better than colder air. So if the snorkel makes it harder for the engine to suck in the air, is better to remove it. However, if you can supply enough air without removing the snorkel it is better to keep it as it supplies cold air right where the air is being sucked from.

Let me know if it does not make sense to you, it's 3 o'clock in the morning here. lol
Old 06-14-2006, 11:52 PM
Need A Light?

The basic idea is that more air is better than colder air. So if the snorkel makes it harder for the engine to suck in the air, is better to remove it. However, if you can supply enough air without removing the snorkel it is better to keep it as it supplies cold air right where the air is being sucked from.

Let me know if it does not make sense to you, it's 3 o'clock in the morning here. lol
haha, i'm still kinda lost...but are you trying to say...if you run a GAB...and keep the snorkle, this would be a great setup, becuz you retain the snorkle (cold air) but you open up the bracket (more air?) and this is the best?

However with a completely stock setup...you run the snorkle (cold air)...but when u have a stock bracket (less air?) then the engine could isn't running its best???

please elaborate...i'm lost :
Old 06-15-2006, 01:18 AM
Need A Light?

So, anybody else run the snorkle? how about snorkle less? any reasoning for your decision?
Old 06-15-2006, 04:33 AM

I have the snorkle still in place. My reasoning is twofold: 1) It seems that almost everyone who modifies the air intake system with anything other than a GAB ends up losing low end torque and I didn't want to risk it and 2) I'm lazy and didn't want to take it off.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:02 AM
Very sound, Mike

I just wanted to add to DrKlop's post, this theory only works at speed. When you have a lot of stop and go driving and drive in hot weather, the advantages of this setup goes down the drain because of heat soak in the engine bay when you're at a stop and/or idling.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:08 AM

haha, i'm still kinda lost...but are you trying to say...if you run a GAB...and keep the snorkle, this would be a great setup, becuz you retain the snorkle (cold air) but you open up the bracket (more air?) and this is the best?

However with a completely stock setup...you run the snorkle (cold air)...but when u have a stock bracket (less air?) then the engine could isn't running its best???

please elaborate...i'm lost :
exactly, if you run gab with snorkle you are getting the best of both worlds. With stock setup your engine basically chokes at higher rpm. (just wanted to explain you how I think it works, not just tell you something that I think is right. )

Originally Posted by soundmike
I just wanted to add to DrKlop's post, this theory only works at speed. When you have a lot of stop and go driving and drive in hot weather, the advantages of this setup goes down the drain because of heat soak in the engine bay when you're at a stop and/or idling.
yeah, that's right, but you aren't really losing anything comparing this setup to the "snorkleless" GAB.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:13 AM

check out the pics Steve:

I'll probably make the third hole this weekend.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:42 AM
Drug Money

Originally Posted by Barc
I have the snorkle still in place. My reasoning is twofold: 1) It seems that almost everyone who modifies the air intake system with anything other than a GAB ends up losing low end torque and I didn't want to risk it and 2) I'm lazy and didn't want to take it off.
ooh big deal. look at my mod list. i'm aimed towards high-end horsepower and not so much worried about my low-end. I can probably pull on you if I had enough aspiration mods
Old 06-15-2006, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by MaxBoost925
ooh big deal. look at my mod list. i'm aimed towards high-end horsepower and not so much worried about my low-end. I can probably pull on you if I had enough aspiration mods
But the fact remains, 95+% of the time, my daily driver vehicle (the Max) remains below 2000 RPMs. If I wanted high end HP, I'd jump in the stang! lol I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes, just stating what I've read.

My setup looks a lot like Klop's. I just used a smaller drill bit and put 4 holes.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:37 AM
Only gentoo powered Maxima!

I used a dremmel ant cut everything off the stock air box in front of the air filter so every inch of my K&N filter surface open to the engine air... i also removed the snorkle... I think im going to call it the Ghetto Warmair Intake or the Ghetto Shortram Intake
Old 06-15-2006, 11:45 AM

I run the stock snorkle also.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:30 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by soundmike
wait...so what should I do? My driving style is mostly city...maybe 20% highway but mostly city regardless...what setup should I be running? GAB with or without snorkle for the best all around? and please explain the reasoning for each?
Old 06-15-2006, 01:58 PM
大陆弟弟

One things I always wonder about is that, if we can make a new snorkle, one that is straight tubing(not necessarily a round tube), without all the dips and silencers of the stock snorkle, wouldn't that be the best intake? Constant cold air, without the restriction of the stock snorkle.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:12 PM

wait...so what should I do? My driving style is mostly city...maybe 20% highway but mostly city regardless...what setup should I be running? GAB with or without snorkle for the best all around? and please explain the reasoning for each?
well, for low rpm slow city driving stock airbox would probably be the best. Stock airbox can supply enough air at low rpms and at the same time it sucks air from the outside. In reality, however, I did not notice any low end loss with my currant setup.

If I were to rate these three setups (GAB with snorkle, GAB without snorkle, stock airbox) for every day driving (note: not city driving) it would put them in this order:

1. GAB with snorkle
2. stock
3 GAB without snorkle

BTW, people, I'm also interested to hear other opinions. Sofar nobody has tried to explain the reason why they think it's better with snorkle removed.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:35 PM
Need A Light?

well, for low rpm slow city driving stock airbox would probably be the best. Stock airbox can supply enough air at low rpms and at the same time it sucks air from the outside. In reality, however, I did not notice any low end loss with my currant setup.

If I were to rate these three setups (GAB with snorkle, GAB without snorkle, stock airbox) for every day driving (note: not city driving) it would put them in this order:

1. GAB with snorkle
2. stock
3 GAB without snorkle

BTW, people, I'm also interested to hear other opinions. Sofar nobody has tried to explain the reason why they think it's better with snorkle removed.
So what yer tryin to say is....

STOCK airbox with STOCK snorkle = best for all around city?

GAB with snorkle = best for all around driving (but not exclusively city)
Old 06-16-2006, 05:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Quick Question to all....has anyone ever blown a MAF sensor using the GAB? I have. I was using the bent metal hanger method to hold the filter with. I had the MAF replaced under warranty, but am afraid to re-install the GAB now. I had maybe put 10 miles before it blew. I may try it again since I have a warranty, but last time the dealership didnt have the MAF sensor instock, so they had to order one, which took a week....that sucked. And by the way, I was using the snorkly. The sounds at higher RPMs was pretty cool though.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:36 AM
dot dot dot ...

Who said GAB was the cause of the 'blown' MAFS?
Old 06-16-2006, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX

The cause for blown MAF is Nissan...

Everyone seaches for different reasons, but the fact is; they suck!
Old 06-16-2006, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Get on AIM bish....
Old 06-16-2006, 05:43 AM

Seriously, I run a GAB with Berk midpipe, no snorkel, and notice no difference whatsoever.

Oh and btw, I fixed my low end loss from the Berk intake by getting headers.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Seriously, I run a GAB with Berk midpipe, no snorkel, and notice no difference whatsoever.

Oh and btw, I fixed my low end loss from the Berk intake by getting headers.

Why not do it right... Get a Supercharger.

I run a complete Berk system and I have no low-end problems. I actually think my low end is better with the Berk than it was with a GAB with my headers.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
Why not do it right... Get a Supercharger.

I run a complete Berk system and I have no low-end problems. I actually think my low end is better with the Berk than it was with a GAB with my headers.

My Max will always be N/A.

IBsomeoneaskswhyisn'tthereaSCkitfor5.5GenMaximas.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:10 AM

I dont know what else it couldve been to blow my MAF....but it was blown within 5-10 miles of install.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:29 AM
Z

Is that all you did to the intake? Just created those two holes?

check out the pics Steve:

I'll probably make the third hole this weekend.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:49 AM

I have found that a true CAI for the 3.5 is not as good as a modified stock airbox. If you end up replacing the battery with a good odyssey you will have the space to do what I did, check out the pics.

I am using a Fram Airhog which is basically a K&N but I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but with the stock airbox only the lower left corner of the air filter seems to get any airflow as the air is trying to do a 90degree left hand turn to get into the maf.

Believe me this is the best of both worlds and allows full surface area of the panel filter to be utilized. I got back the crisp throttle response that I really lost with the CAI. This setup also doesn't seem to choke my headers and they can do their job again on the freeway providing a really nice pull at least for an auto.

For those who like a quiet ride like myself, this mod doesn't make the annoying roar/WAH like a cai, hai or regular coat hanger gab does.

previous CAI

now ghetto CAI with stock airbox

another one showing the filter
Old 06-16-2006, 11:10 AM
Need A Light?

haha, this pretty cool ALLGO!
Old 06-16-2006, 04:08 PM

what kind of car batter is that?

also where does that new opening lead? the bottom of the car?
Old 06-16-2006, 04:27 PM
Need A Light?

it's an odyssey battery...good quality stuff..lightweight too!
Old 06-16-2006, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Steven88
So what yer tryin to say is....

STOCK airbox with STOCK snorkle = best for all around city?

GAB with snorkle = best for all around driving (but not exclusively city)
yup... well, at least that's what my logic tells me...

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold
Is that all you did to the intake? Just created those two holes?
as you can see...

Originally Posted by AllGo
I have found that a true CAI for the 3.5 is not as good as a modified stock airbox. If you end up replacing the battery with a good odyssey you will have the space to do what I did, check out the pics.

I am using a Fram Airhog which is basically a K&N but I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but with the stock airbox only the lower left corner of the air filter seems to get any airflow as the air is trying to do a 90degree left hand turn to get into the maf.

Believe me this is the best of both worlds and allows full surface area of the panel filter to be utilized. I got back the crisp throttle response that I really lost with the CAI. This setup also doesn't seem to choke my headers and they can do their job again on the freeway providing a really nice pull at least for an auto.

For those who like a quiet ride like myself, this mod doesn't make the annoying roar/WAH like a cai, hai or regular coat hanger gab does.
nice!! Just curious, have you tried running the same exact setup but with the coat hanger instead of the filter bracket?
Old 06-16-2006, 05:05 PM

I've got the snorkel removed completely with a flex hose connected to the inlet if the airbox. The hose goes down and rests on the splash guard. It was poking through the splash guard for a "ram air" bs thing, but didn't want to run the risk of pulling water in. Cheap azz mods...
Old 06-16-2006, 06:30 PM
Z

as you can see...
Wow, that's pretty spiffy. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't over looking anything. I think I'll give it a shot and chop mine up.

Quick Reply: GAB owners, do you run a snorkle?