5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

OEM Navigation Back-Up CD Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006 | 08:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was thinking.. what IS the difference between the CD- and DVD-based versions? I'm thinking the DVD has all regions on one disc?

Are they more detailed, textured/imaged?

The whole navigation thing has totally spoiled me as far as what I look for in a automobile. It's just such a ******* conveinence... *drool*... Whatever car I buy next, it's gotta have the nav, factory... hehe..
Old 12-21-2006 | 06:18 AM

OK, I'll try to run down the differences, at least so far as Zenrin is concerned...

The DVD, of course, has a lot more data per disc. That said, they are not as detailed, in some areas. This is due to the fact that they DO contain all the regions on a single disc.

Since DVDs generally only have room for 4.7 GB of data and a single CD can contain 650 MB, the DVD has to skimp in some areas, especially when you consider there are 9 regions (@ about 600MB per region) and when you consider that they aren't a direct swap over from the CDs. Also keep in mind that the DVDs have Canada, as well. That's a lot of data for 4.7 GB of space.

DVDs are getting a lot better, however. The more time that goes by, the better they are becoming... just like anything else. Each release has more detailed maps of more areas. Here's an example of what I mean:

7.2 (the latest)

Anyway, all that being said, the DVDs are really getting a leg up on CDs now. They are really starting to have a lot better coverage in some areas (mostly Canada).

The CDs only have a single "region" per disc. There are some regions that are small but are very detailed. Some regions are huge but, due to roads, population centers, etc, they may not be all that detailed. Also, to get the entire country on disc, it would cost about 4 times as much as the single DVD option... plus, you don't get Canada.
Old 12-23-2006 | 07:46 AM

Anyone have the upgrade disc?
Old 12-31-2006 | 06:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys i'm looking for the MCA 2 version 5.5 cd for my 02 QX4... if you someone could send me an email to perfectpack @yahoo.com and let me know how i could download that I would appreciate it! Thanks in advance
Old 01-03-2007 | 06:11 AM

thisasian, you should be able to go to the dealership (Nissan included) and ask for it (as in borrow while you're there). You can do the upgrade yourself after you get the disc.

Pack, I'll see what I can do.

All, sorry I haven't replied recently. Been outta town.
Old 01-03-2007 | 06:28 AM

whats the upgrade disk? ??
Old 01-03-2007 | 08:39 AM

The upgrade disc is for those with Nav systems older than about 2001. Some 2000 and 2001 Infiniti cars / trucks and some Pathfinders with Nav have an older version of the Nav firmware that won't run any CDs past version 5.0 or 5.1 and need the upgrade in order to run the newer versions. At least that's been my experience.
Old 01-04-2007 | 11:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks Barc I appreciate it! Do you need any other info?
Old 01-16-2007 | 01:42 PM
wea
Donating Maxima.org Member

Do you need MCA 1 version 5.3?

Barc, please check your PM's.

edit: realized that AFTER I donated, PM's are enabled
Old 01-16-2007 | 01:49 PM

Anyone know where I might be able to buy an OEM Nav unit for a 2003 Maxima? I've had no luch trying to find one and I really don't want to get an aftermarket unit.
Old 01-17-2007 | 04:44 PM

wea, PMed you.

Maxx, you can try eBay. A unit out of an I35, Maxima, or potentially a Pathfinder or Q should work. I can tell you, though, you're going to be better off going aftermarket in regards to expense, trouble of installation, and overall enjoyment of the system (bang for buck return). It isn't as simple as pulling out the old and putting in the new...

All, I tried to open the ftp and it wasn't working correctly. I'm not in a position to be able to check too deeply into this at the moment...
Old 01-22-2007 | 11:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm looking for a backup image of the MCA-7 disc, could someone mail me at antoniusbayle@yahoo.com with the download information.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2007 | 05:21 PM

antonius, unfortunately MCA 7 isn't available at the moment (no one has uploaded it).

What sort of car do you have? How long have you had it? and why does you screen name sound familiar? EQ much?
Old 01-22-2007 | 05:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yup, I've been known to hang out in Qeynos from time to time. I've got a Nissan Pathfinder I picked up 2 years ago and the dealer "lost" the navigation CD.

First the dealer said they had the CD, then they lost the CD, then they re-ordered the CD, then the person who sold me the Pathfinder left before the CD came in.

Looks like I'll be picking up this wee beasty:
http://www.zenrin.com/cart/addCD.asp....7&make=nissan
Once the order comes in, I'll try ripping and uploading it.
Old 01-23-2007 | 04:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey Barc do you have any download info. for the MCA 2? I posted a bit back would love some help Thanks man
Old 01-24-2007 | 08:08 AM
wea

Do you need MCA1 or MCA7?

Found MCA7 v5.5 on eBay, starting bid $40:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zenrin-Navigatio...QQcmdZViewItem

Originally Posted by antoniusbayle
Yup, I've been known to hang out in Qeynos from time to time. I've got a Nissan Pathfinder I picked up 2 years ago and the dealer "lost" the navigation CD.

First the dealer said they had the CD, then they lost the CD, then they re-ordered the CD, then the person who sold me the Pathfinder left before the CD came in.

Looks like I'll be picking up this wee beasty:
http://www.zenrin.com/cart/addCD.asp....7&make=nissan
Once the order comes in, I'll try ripping and uploading it.
Old 01-25-2007 | 09:11 AM

Oldsmobile Aurora Disk Compatibility

I have a 2002 Oldsmobile Aurora with stock in-dash navigation. I recently moved from Chicago to New Jersey, and have had a difficult time tracking down East Coast map disks. The unit uses GM branded Zenrin CD's, with a series number of 5.1. GM stopped selling these disks a number of years ago, though. I contacted Zenrin USA from their website, who referred me to Zenrin in Japan (apparently the USA office only supports Nissan and Infiniti and has nothing to do with GM). The Japan office hasn't returned my emails.

It would appear, though, that the Nissan and Infiniti disks *might* work in my Aurora. The series numbers appear to be the same (5.x), and if they're just generic Zenrin-branded disks (with, say, a Nissan label on top vs. a GM one), they could work. I brought my Aurora into a local Nissan dealer, but they weren't willing to let me try a nav disk. Would it be possible to try a backup disk to see if it'd work in the Aurora? If so, I'd of course immediately purchase the disk from Zenrin. The prospect of paying $120 for something that might not work isn't all that appealing, however.

Thanks for your help,
Jonathan
Old 01-25-2007 | 10:13 AM
wea

Bidding ending in 47 minutes.

Originally Posted by wea
Do you need MCA1 or MCA7?

Found MCA7 v5.5 on eBay, starting bid $40:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zenrin-Navigatio...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-25-2007 | 03:03 PM

wea, you've got email.

Jonathan, do you have any pics of the Nav unit on the Olds? Considering the version number you had, the disc may or may not work until you get the software upgraded even if it is identical...
Old 01-30-2007 | 01:50 PM

Barc,

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I don't have a digital camera, so I had to track down a picture of the unit elsewhere. At any rate, here's a scan of the Aurora brochure showing the nav system:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...-2003NR001.jpg

It's the exact same as what I have (save the seat color ). Does it look at all similar to what Nissan and Infiniti use? Even if not, I've got my fingers crossed that a disk would work (assuming Zenrin formats all their disks the same or similarly). Even if the unit isn't compatible with 5.2+ maps (say, if it needs the upgrade I've seen discussed on maxima.org), being able to access backups of 5.1 maps would be great - as I said, GM and Zenrin aren't supporting the unit.

Thanks for your help,
Jonathan
Old 01-31-2007 | 05:42 AM

It looks a lot different in that picture. I don't know that it would work but I'm willing to give most anything a try, at least once. Give me your email address and I'll discuss it more with you there.
Old 01-31-2007 | 05:48 AM

Barc,

Here's my email:
j r m a y e r (I HATE SPAM) AT p r i n c e t o n . e d u

Thanks!
Jonathan
Old 02-16-2007 | 09:49 AM

I'm looking for the lasted version of MCA2. If possible i'd like to buy the 5.5 copy and see how many people want to go splits on it. I'll burn the copies and take care of the shipping. I'll keep this idea open for a few weeks and see what interest it draws. My email is CobraFan @***.net. E-me if you're interested. I'd like to get atleast 4 or more.

Another question I had was I read through most of the posts on here and I see you guys mention uploading these. Can these CD's be loaded into the unit in the car? I always thought that the CD had to remain in the unit to work.

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2007 | 12:51 PM

Uploading refers to uploading the back-up iso file to a server...

The newest MCA2 I see on the server right now is version 5.1.

We've discussed in previous posts buying a lot of CDs from Zenrin to cut down on the costs... Take a look back through them and see what you think.
Old 02-16-2007 | 08:33 PM

Yeah I've read the previous posts about the big purchase and thought that was going to happen last fall. I just need MCA 2's latest. I don't need any east coast cd's. I'll shot PM's to others on here to see if anyone wants to split it. I can't wait til end of the year for 5.6 which probably won't be much more different then 5.5.
Old 02-17-2007 | 10:34 PM

Barc,

Are you still rolling with the FTP? I'm thinking I may never reach the required number of posts... but there's been so much road construction here in the Valley my nav keeps routing me to the middle of nowhere.

Thanks Barc.
Old 02-19-2007 | 08:56 AM

Hello everyone, long time no speak! I am guessing you guys haven't had any trouble with the FTP server in the past while, since I haven't gotten any PMs.

Barc how have you been? I hope things have been going well? I've been too busy on coop to even go home to drive my new car. lol Atleast it's not getting any miles right? Is there anything you guys need from me at the moment? I'll try and check back more often for updates ... make sure everyone is happy and such. lol

For some far better pictures of my car (now that I have my new camera) check here. (:

Thanks guys!
Old 02-20-2007 | 05:10 AM

infinite, things are moving right along. I've not heard of any problems with the FTP so that's a good thing! I hope you are doing well.

dude, post up your email and I'll see what I can do.

GMANAZ, the CD's used to come out every fall. You're probably right, though, not a lot of changes between 5.5 and 5.6... if it ever comes out. Someone on here will probably want to split the cost with you. Nice Mustang, btw.
Old 02-22-2007 | 03:41 PM

if anyone has the update cd required to run mcas later than 5.1 please upload it to the ftp site, thanx so much
Old 02-22-2007 | 04:12 PM

I have the program disc I would be happy to upload if someone would point me to the ftp site address.
Old 02-23-2007 | 05:12 AM

James, you've got PM.
Old 02-23-2007 | 08:53 AM

MCA4 Version 5.5

I'd like to upload MCA4 V5.5 if not already done so. Please point me the way...

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2007 | 10:44 AM

MajBlue - You've got PM.
Old 02-23-2007 | 04:43 PM

The Program ISO should be up now. Let me know if there is a problem with it.
Old 02-23-2007 | 09:39 PM

uh-oh its the nissan program disc...i have an infiniti...will it still work? also any one know if its possible to play music or movies through these Nav systems, there has to be some sort of bios hack for it...and if not, there has to be a nerd out there that can do it....and by nerd i mean computer genius, nothing offensive
Old 02-24-2007 | 04:43 AM

Nissan and Infiniti should be one in the same for programming. The Pathfinder and Maxima use the same update disc if that tells you anything and I can't imagine a company having different firmware between models of essentially the same car with different badging.

So far as the question of being able to play DVDs, MP3s, etc through the Nav system... Short answer is "no" to the question of being able to do it through a bios hack due to it not running a Windows, Mac, Linux, etc. OS or anything else that would recognize the files and the fact that the bios / OS that you'd have to load would probably not fit in our Nav's memory. And I'm sure there is a nerd that can do it some how, some way, but I don't think it would be practical for several reasons... especially considering the fact that you can have an alternate input hooked up so you can play DVDs or hook a PC up to it and just use the screen as your display and then switch back and forth between the Nav system and your alternate input.

Probably not the answer you were looking for, though.
Old 02-24-2007 | 08:50 AM

you're genius, Barc! good answer to a dumb question...however you said up there....the pathfinder and maxima take the same update...well they are both Nissan....My Qx4 is Infiniti....when you go to the zenrin website it does let you choose between Infiniti and Nissan nav discs and setups
Old 02-25-2007 | 09:55 AM

Ah, yes, but to the layperson, a Nissan and Infiniti are totally different animals with nothing in common... not even the engine, transmission, etc. and most folks would, when updating, just click the brand of car they had. But, I'm willing to bet that they are one in the same so far as Nav goes, just like the majority of parts on the cars. And, I've got a good source that tells me that Oldsmobile used Zenrin discs, as well... and our Nav discs work in their systems.
Old 02-26-2007 | 08:56 AM

well the program disc did not work in my car, unfortunately, however i contacted Zenrin, they are shipping me one for free....i just hope the MCAs will work in my car...maybe i am burning them wrong, i guess i will wait and see when my update comes in...if they still dont work i may need another walk through to ensure i am doing things right....
Old 02-26-2007 | 10:50 AM

I apologize in advance, but to get PM capability I'm going to have to break the cardinal rule of forums.

Quick Reply: OEM Navigation Back-Up CD Swap