5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Power Loss after 3k rpm+ VIAS don't know HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 02:33 PM

Power Loss after 3k rpm+ VIAS don't know HELP

I've had this problem for quite a while now. The car will feel perfectly fine driving normal under 3k rpm (i'm auto btw). But when i go WOT after 3k rpm in any gear not only do a feel a power loss, but it fluctuates as it increases in rpms, almost like something is holding the car back. And i don't know if this is the VIAS since from what i've read you'll feel the power loss after 5k rpms. Though i don't seem to have much power there either so i may check it out no matter what, but i need some ideas from anyone who might know what could be causing this "fluctuation/power loss".

Just a quick note, i recently brought it to my mechanic to try and figure it out thinking it may have to do with the exhaust because i had a leak somewhere and a squeaking sound. it ended up being the bolts on my exhaust manifold, they were loose and just needed to be tightened up and the car sounds fine now, but had no afffect on the power loss. So I'm kind of stuck other than considering the VIAS but like i said, it's starts after 3k+ rpms not 5k.

Thanks
-Joe
Old 06-22-2006, 02:56 PM

same problem here bro,
once i hit 3k rpm, when i floor my car (iam auto also), the car feels like its being held by something....my bro drove it last nite, and he came home and he was like, "dude wuts wrong with your car, it wont pull at all once u hit 3k rpm" i was so mad when he told me lol.....but after researching and reading the forum, i think that it might be MAF....not sure tho....
but if it was MAF, wouldn't i see some other problems also "below 3krpm" problems maybe?
help us out guys
thx
huso
Old 06-22-2006, 03:02 PM

don't take this the wrong way heh but i'm glad i'm not alone, mainly because now i hope someone else had the same problem but figured it out. And as far as the MAF goes i'm sure we'd see some kind of check engine light. but other than that you're right if it was the maf are car would most likely feel like crap all around, not just after 3k rpm
Old 06-22-2006, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by dextterity
I've had this problem for quite a while now. The car will feel perfectly fine driving normal under 3k rpm (i'm auto btw). But when i go WOT after 3k rpm in any gear not only do a feel a power loss, but it fluctuates as it increases in rpms, almost like something is holding the car back. And i don't know if this is the VIAS since from what i've read you'll feel the power loss after 5k rpms. Though i don't seem to have much power there either so i may check it out no matter what, but i need some ideas from anyone who might know what could be causing this "fluctuation/power loss".

Just a quick note, i recently brought it to my mechanic to try and figure it out thinking it may have to do with the exhaust because i had a leak somewhere and a squeaking sound. it ended up being the bolts on my exhaust manifold, they were loose and just needed to be tightened up and the car sounds fine now, but had no afffect on the power loss. So I'm kind of stuck other than considering the VIAS but like i said, it's starts after 3k+ rpms not 5k.

Thanks
-Joe

Sounds like the MAF. I always described the feeling like someone was pinching the fuel line and the car was struugling for fuel. But it had nothing to do with the fuel/ filter it was the MAF.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by SinCityMaxPower
Sounds like the MAF. I always described the feeling like someone was pinching the fuel line and the car was struugling for fuel. But it had nothing to do with the fuel/ filter it was the MAF.
Maybe, I guess I'll try to somehow get my hands on a used one or something since most people on here say they like to carry a spair anyway. But I doubt I'll get my hands on a cheap on too easily
Old 06-22-2006, 03:51 PM

i think you can order new MAF from a Nissan Dealership. But im not 100% that you can, but you can try.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:26 PM
Z

It's 100% your MAF. A MAF doesn't always trigger a SES light/code. It's a $90 part and a 30 minute fix.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:34 PM

sup dex!

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold
It's 100% your MAF. A MAF doesn't always trigger a SES light/code. It's a $90 part and a 30 minute fix.
i second that !
Old 06-22-2006, 05:51 PM

I figured it out, i can't believe what it was. My friend actually figured it out, we took apart the intake, partly to look at the MAF but we realized the filter was over oiled and we assumed that at WOT the suction pulled oil through the intake and the MAF just didn't like it. So i went to autozone and picked up a $20 filter to see if there was a difference, had no time to clean the filter out and see, so now i have a spare filter for when i do clean it since it needs to air dry for a while.

Anyway i put the new pre-oiled filter on and my god what a difference, the car feels great now. So in some ways it was the MAF, but at least it wasn't blown just kind of doing its job. So huso, either get a filter from autozone as a backup or if you have the time just clean your filter out good and make sure not to put too much oil back on it heh.

And whats up outmaxxed i haven't been on the org in a long time, well i haven't posted in a good while anyway, i'll probably be on here more often now though since my cars running good now i plan to do some new crap.

Later,
-deX
Old 06-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

if what youare saying is correct you have a MAF problem..call DaveB he will hook you up
Old 06-23-2006, 09:57 AM

i have K&N filter, it was pre-oiled when i got it, and i didnt oil it after that at all.....
so u r saying that i should go and get a $7 dollar filter (cheap one) and try it out?
huso
Old 06-23-2006, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by shift_2kmaxima
i have K&N filter, it was pre-oiled when i got it, and i didnt oil it after that at all.....
so u r saying that i should go and get a $7 dollar filter (cheap one) and try it out?
huso
well if you haven't ever re-oiled it then probably not, then it could possibly be your maf starting to go. My car feels way better now that i have a different filter than my over oiled k&n. But i think i'm gonna still try and get my hands on another maf since i'm sure it has taken it's toll from the oil since i heard thats what'll eventually make them blow anyway. so i would like to see if i can get it to feel any better and if not i'll have a spare for when it finally does go.

I mean maf's are expensive and if you don't care about having a spare if it ends up not being the problem then i'd get your hands on a filter to just test it out. Know of any other max owners that'll let you swop it to test it out? that could help.

-deX
Old 06-23-2006, 02:41 PM

omg omg omg,,,,,,hahah (i sound like a girl lol)
but wow, i just bought new MAF at a dealer $138.99, its all good tho, i didnt wanna wait from DAVEb to buy one.....so i just got one from the dealer....and i installed it my self (iam only 17 yrs old, so its not hard at all to install one) and wow...what a difference man.....its crazy....so much faster, i did 0-70mph, so much quicker compoared to b4, it took me so long to do it b4, especially once i hit that 3k rpm to 4krpm, now it flys through that range....it feels like a new car, omg....this is the best thing that i ever did to my car.....and i also returned my K&N filter, and bought some performance **** for like 12.99......so yeah,, its MAF for sure man....get one
it'll help
huso
Old 06-23-2006, 03:28 PM
I C U

Originally Posted by shift_2kmaxima
omg omg omg,,,,,,hahah (i sound like a girl lol)
but wow, i just bought new MAF at a dealer $138.99, its all good tho, i didnt wanna wait from DAVEb to buy one.....so i just got one from the dealer....and i installed it my self (iam only 17 yrs old, so its not hard at all to install one) and wow...what a difference man.....its crazy....so much faster, i did 0-70mph, so much quicker compoared to b4, it took me so long to do it b4, especially once i hit that 3k rpm to 4krpm, now it flys through that range....it feels like a new car, omg....this is the best thing that i ever did to my car.....and i also returned my K&N filter, and bought some performance **** for like 12.99......so yeah,, its MAF for sure man....get one
it'll help
huso

LOL.. . No just kidding. I think we all shared your excitement after feeling our cars react positively to a new MAF. I can't begin to tell you how many burn outs I did after replacing mine. (not purposely.. just over excited to hit the gas)
Old 06-23-2006, 05:23 PM

hahahah yeah man.....its feels so goood, i cant believe i was driving my car broken and slow like it use to be before......how long will this MAF last for? do u guys have any idea? and i've also switched to NON OIL filter......and i have GAB mod too.....but yeah, maxima feels like new....my dad and my bro drove it, and they couldnt believe it how fast maxima was.....also, i was looking at some sentra se-rs and jetta 1.8T, and some other cars to trade my maxima in, but now, wow, lol i will never trade my maxima in , its such a fast car....
and burnouts dammm, i've done so many of them today too.....
thx for all the help maxima.org
huso selimovic
Old 06-23-2006, 05:28 PM

is there any reset, or battery disconect or ecu flash that is required after replacing a maf on a 2k auto???
Old 06-23-2006, 05:45 PM

yeah just disconnect ur batter for like 30 min.....
connect it back...and turn the car on, and just let it work for like couple min...
thats it
and after that, go and buy some gas, cause' u'll need some, CAR FEELS SO FAsT MAN....wow
cant explain it....
huso
Old 06-23-2006, 05:50 PM
I C U

^^^What he said^^^
Old 06-25-2006, 11:18 AM

I have the same issue with my 2000 Maxima SE. A power loss or hesitation under hard acceleration over 3K.......sometimes at 3500, sometimes at 4K, sometimes higher. It idles fine, starts fine, and runs smooth at constant throttle all the time. I took apart the VIAS, and it's still good. I cleaned out the throttle body, still does it. I changed the intake to a short ram, still does it. I changed the plugs, still does it. I took a look at my cat. converter, and it's not in the greatest shape, so I ordered a high flow, which of course isn't in yet. I ran injector cleaner through it twice, still does it. For the longest time there was no engine light on, but two weeks ago there it was, so i had it checked. The code came up as being lean. I"m assuming now it's the MAF, so I'm going to order one this week.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:55 PM

New MAF is on, from Dave B of course. The car's hesitation is completely gone. It pulls smooth all the time now, idles smooth, and runs smooth when the motor is very cold. I'm still surprised it was the MAF, but hey, the problem is solved. Now I can install my Budget Y-Pipe that I have sitting on my work bench.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2k se. 5spd. I had this problem for about a year now.a few days ago i decided to research this so i can finally get my power back. Everytime i felt the weakness i was too frustrated to do anything about it. After reading these threads I will definetly look into the MAF. I want to do burnouts again!! haha
Old 07-13-2006, 08:59 AM

I will Order A New MAF-
Same Car & Problem as Above-
Looking Forward to FULL Pull-
Not Chopped Up Pull-
Threw All RPM's-
Not Just 800 to 3500-
Old 07-13-2006, 09:10 AM
Drug Money

make sure you get the updated MAF.

lol burnouts....

....burnouts broke my axle bracket -_-

....and they were useless too. im on radials, i thought they would give me better ET's.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:14 PM

dont put a cheap filter, if the filter sucks youll kill the MAF, just go to the dealer or anywhere ask them for original filter, it cost around 15$m and get your MAF changed around 75$ and you should be ok. You should thank god that its only that :P not in a bad way. I so fed up with my max, every problem possible I've had it , ignition coils, tranny ... you name it !!!
Old 07-13-2006, 04:47 PM

I feel your pain hazardeyes,.. coils.. you name it ,.. now shes deciding to run like crap,.. and has nothing over 4K at WOT ,.. looks like its time for a new MAf for me too i guess
Old 07-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by MaxBoost925
make sure you get the updated MAF.

lol burnouts....

....burnouts broke my axle bracket -_-

....and they were useless too. im on radials, i thought they would give me better ET's.
radials aren't suppose to burn out....only with mickey thompson slicks...
Old 07-17-2006, 07:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I havent had a chance to get a MAF but i have got some prices, one place wanted 220.00 for one. I thik i might just go to the dealer. Ive also had bad ignition coils,usually after winter time, in the past 2 years, i guess its the humitity but any ways, ive also experienced a few problems in the past. I guess as the car gets older these things just have to go. I cant wait to get the MAF tho.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

How would one get a hold of Dave B. I've tried searching but for some reason I have no search privileages. Thanks in advance