5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HOW-TO WORKLOG: LED Loaded Instrument Cluster (+60 LEDs!) BRIGHTEST ORG CLUSTER YET

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 03:35 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

HOW-TO WORKLOG: LED Loaded Instrument Cluster (+60 LEDs!) BRIGHTEST ORG CLUSTER YET

Welcome, ladies & gents! This thread will be detailing how to create what I promise to be the BRIGHTEST instrument cluster yet seen on the .org. We will be utilizing SMT LEDs mounted on a PCB that will be retrofitted into the stock instrument cluster housing. This is essentially considered a ‘worklog’ as I will be updating the thread as progress is made. Also, for those wondering about the interior overhaul – this is the final project, so I will be updating that thread with this AND all of the other works that have been done since its last update. As with any HOW-TO, you mess it up, that’s on you. Let’s start with a list of supplies…

TOOLS
- Wire Stripper
- Wire Cutters
- Soldering Iron, 25W minimum
- Dremel w/ cutting wheel & sanding drum accessories

SUPPLIES
I purchased the majority of these items from mouser.com. All of these items can be found there A LOT cheaper than what you’d find at Radio Shack. I will update the list with part numbers later on, as to make it easier to find them on the site.

- Solder
- Heatsink Paste
- 20 or 22 Gauge Wire
- 120Ω Resistors x 100
- Aluminum Heatsink x 4
- TO-220 Voltage Regulator x 4
- PCB/Prototyping Board w/ Copper Holes
- SMT LEDs (you choose the color, get ‘em on eBay) x 100
- #4-40 ¼” Bolts (You can get these from Josh’s sponsor, aka Home Depot)

LED COMPARISON
A lot of people have been asking about this one. In this picture you will see a comparison of three different types of LEDs. The first ones are the SMT LEDs, you can see how tiny they are. The middle one is a superflux LED, and the one on the right is a 5mm LEDs. You can see that we are using some tiny LEDs here!

STEP I – BOARD CUTTING
The first step will involve cutting the PCB as to accommodate our LEDs. You will need 4 disks total. Two will be 2” in diameter for the fuel and temperature gauges; two will be 4” for the tachometer and the speedometer. Measure them however you wish. I personally chose to use my chrome gauge rings as the template.

STEP II – LED SOLDERING
You will notice there are copper leads on either end of the LEDs. You will begin by putting a dab of solder on the hole where you wish to put your LED, then putting the LED into position, then soldering it on the board. Solder however many LEDs as you wish, making sure they all go (+) to (-). The LEDs will be soldered in runs of three, so slap some solder down between the first-to-second, second-to third LEDs to make each run.

STEP III – POSITIVE LEADS
In order to make the positive leg of the circuit, begin by taking a small piece of wire, strip the end, and solder it onto the positive end of the first LED of the first run. Then run this lead to the first LED of the second run. Get a new piece of wire, make another lead connecting the first LED of the second run to the first LED of the third run, so on and so on.

STEP IV – NEGATIVE LEADS
You will be doing the same thing you did in STEP III, only this time you will be connecting the negative leads. Thread one end of the resistor through the bottom of the disk and connect to the negative lead of the third LED of the first run. Continue this for the remaining runs, snipping off the extra length. Turn the disk over, and connect each OPEN resistor lead together.

Last edited by Metal Maxima; 09-29-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:36 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

STEP V - TO-220 VOLTAGE REGULATOR
Now that the outer ring of LEDs has been completed, it’s time to test everything out! Get used to this, as we will be testing this quite frequently throughout. First things first, Take a TO-220, put some thermal paste on the back, and attach an aluminum heatsink to the regulator with a #4-40 bolt. You will see three legs on the regulator. The leftmost leg facing you will be the power supply in. The middle leg goes to ground, the rightmost will supply the board. Simply make a temporary connection to the regulator.

STEP VI - TESTING
Now that the outer ring of LEDs has been completed, it’s time to test everything out! Get Pretty simply here. Connect the leads of the regulator to the respective leads on the battery and test. Make sure the leads on the assembly are not touching any metal on the chassis…or anywhere for that matter!

THREE YEARS LATER...LOL

STEP VII - CLUSTER TRIM MODIFICATION
Time to make it all fit. One thing you've probably noticed is that when you install an LED is that you still have somewhat of a localized affect. That's because LED do not reach their full spread until about an inch or more from the origin of the light, ergo, we need to provide some space to make 'em shine. Hack away.[/COLOR][/B]

STEP VIII - OE BULB SWAP
While we're at it, might as well replace those ugly green and orange bulbs with some nice blue ones! Use some copper desolder braid to adsorb the OE solder and pop the originals out, and place the new ones in.[/COLOR][/B]

Last edited by Metal Maxima; 09-29-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:37 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

STEP IX - THE GREAT TAPE-OFF
We'll need to dress her head to toe in some electrical tape since we'll be placing the boards directly atop the OE board...so tape away...DO NOT GET LAZY ON THIS STEP, FOR FACK'S SAKE!!!

STEP X - PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
Place everything together...you're almost done! I used GOOP all-purpose adhesive to ensure a nice fit.

STEP XI - WIRE ROUTING
Here's where you're going to have to get creative (although I'll assume that's a given if you've gotten that far). Drill holes through the plastic and route the wiring, and tie in to the TO-220 assembly. Depending on the amperage rating for your array, you may need only one...but I did one per as I was not going to risk anything to chance.

Last edited by Metal Maxima; 09-29-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:38 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

STEP XI - TESTING
Take your positive and negative leads to the old battery and fire away.

STEP XII - PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!
Silver vs. Black..your call...

STEP XIII - CELEBRATE!
Pat yourself on the back for completing one of the most overkill LED projects you can do...and enjoy your cluster, you're going to love it!!!

Last edited by Metal Maxima; 09-29-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:39 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

FINAL NOTES
Some things I did not note too well...I did not add anything behind the needles because I was out of blue PLCCs at the time...which sucks, because I really should have waited for them before I finished. Also, I did not take pictures of my of odometer array as I just kind of flew through it...but here are some pics as best I had...

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME ANY PMS ABOUT THIS...KEEP ALL QUESTIONS IN THIS THREAD SO ALL CAN LEARN

Last edited by Metal Maxima; 09-29-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:39 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Alright! I'll start filling up this space later on today. STAY TUNED!!!
Old 06-23-2006, 06:53 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Updated!!!!
Old 06-23-2006, 09:32 AM

can i ask why? why do you need your instrument cluster to look like a spotlight? i don't get it....
Old 06-23-2006, 09:40 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by 03on18s
can i ask why? why do you need your instrument cluster to look like a spotlight? i don't get it....
Personal preference.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:20 AM
It's business time.

I'm guessing these will look kick-ass when sitting behind SE gauges. Probably almost electro-illuminescent.

Dan, will you make and sell these?
Old 06-23-2006, 10:21 AM

rice rice baby

do you want people to see yuor face whe nyou are driving at night or something???
Old 06-23-2006, 10:45 AM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by jeepik
rice rice baby

do you want people to see yuor face whe nyou are driving at night or something???
Have you driven by a Lexus or new Honda recently? Please. It's pretty much a general consensus here that our gauges are rather dim. Dan is addressing the issue.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:10 AM
still brewin'

I agree with Progress, they are abominably dim. Patience is key, hold your criticism until you see the finished product
I love doing stuff on my own, but I solder just as well as I **** out my a$$. If you plan on making copies of the pre-fabbed disks, I'll buy a set.

BTW. any way some of the LEDs can be used for the clock/center console lights. two of my stupid little climate control twist in light bulbs are blown. $7.95 at my local dealer.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

rice rice baby

Well.....since cops here like to pull people over for not being able to see them at night, sure why not?
Old 06-23-2006, 11:50 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by Progress
I'm guessing these will look kick-ass when sitting behind SE gauges. Probably almost electro-illuminescent.
Thanks, Sam! We'll find out soone enough...I too have SE gauges.

Originally Posted by Progress
Dan, will you make and sell these?
Not sure yet. These require a fair amount of work to fabricate. More importantly...soldering everything is the EASY part. Gotta see how much work will be required to fit everything in the OEM housing.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:52 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

rice rice baby
Like Sam pointed out, by virtue of this argument this also makes all new Lexus, Honduhs, and Mercedes 'Rice'. :hsdan:

ALL interior lighting will be utilizing LEDs in the future, so I hope you enjoy buying circa 2005 and lower-year model cars the rest of your life.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:54 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by Yayomax
BTW. any way some of the LEDs can be used for the clock/center console lights. two of my stupid little climate control twist in light bulbs are blown. $7.95 at my local dealer.
Yep! Just use the OEM bulb holder, slide an LED through it, and bend the ends...attach a 510-ohm resistor to the negative side, twist in to contact, and enjoy.

You could also do this...

Old 06-23-2006, 12:38 PM

Dam metal ive been asking you for awhile how it is u do the clear needles on our 5th gen i just need a quick run down of how you did it im pretty sure i can take it from dere im planinng on doing my gauges orange to match my interior but id like to know how the clear needles were done PLZ and Thank You LOL Oh yea great work on the gauges i look forward to see how urs turnout becuz im kinda doing it a bit differently but its about the same basic concept.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Like Sam pointed out, by virtue of this argument this also makes all new Lexus, Honduhs, and Mercedes 'Rice'. :hsdan:

ALL interior lighting will be utilizing LEDs in the future, so I hope you enjoy buying circa 2005 and lower-year model cars the rest of your life.

some how i doubt that the lexus gauges use this many LED's

no offense to the rest of you guys, they are guages, they dont need to be bright, look at the road and not at the guages ( my vision is not fantastic, but i can see my guages just fine at night)

i completely understand making these for show or for looks, but they have 0 practicality
Old 06-23-2006, 02:36 PM
still brewin'

no offense to the rest of you guys, they are guages, they dont need to be bright, look at the road and not at the guages ( my vision is not fantastic, but i can see my guages just fine at night)

i completely understand making these for show or for looks, but they have 0 practicality
I do see your point. I may be wrong, but aren't the white face gauges in the 4th gen brighter than the titanium gauges in the 00-03.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:43 PM

the guy made a completely custom interior by himself and he is continuing to making it even more unique, give him a break with the negative comments and respect his originality.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:04 PM

not for anything but metal is doing something completely unique and is taking the time out as he goes along to take pictures and do a write up in case anyone else wants to do what hes doing in the future. whether you like his ideas or not, umm no one really cares. you cant take away the originality of the project. personally i think this is gonna look sweet as hell when its done and i wish i had the time and patience and skill to do something like this.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:08 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Thanks. Now stay the fukc out of my thread.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:10 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

I do see your point. I may be wrong, but aren't the white face gauges in the 4th gen brighter than the titanium gauges in the 00-03
No, you're correct. The majority of the 4th gens use 5 194 bulbs...STOCK, whereas we are left with 4 smaller bulbs.

Thanks for the compliments fellas, I am going to try and make this a good how-to for all those interested.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:23 PM
I C U

Yep! Just use the OEM bulb holder, slide an LED through it, and bend the ends...attach a 510-ohm resistor to the negative side, twist in to contact, and enjoy.

You could also do this...

Love this. Sex on wheels. Great job. Good luck on your project and future endevours.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:29 PM

and if its too bright, you can always dim it down with the dimmer.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:01 PM
still brewin'

These require a fair amount of work to fabricate. More importantly...soldering everything is the EASY part. Gotta see how much work will be required to fit everything in the OEM housing.

Just a thought. That heat sink does look rather obtrusive. Ever consider using those small, flat 2" cooling fans usually found on a video card or computer PCB. They are 12-14 volts DC
Old 06-23-2006, 06:23 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Just a thought. That heat sink does look rather obtrusive. Ever consider using those small, flat 2" cooling fans usually found on a video card or computer PCB. They are 12-14 volts DC
Good idea! While I sincerley appreciate the suggestion, the heatsink will be mounted outisde of the cluster. It's using a demel to allow the PCB to fit that is going to be the...uhmmm...interesting part.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:14 PM

wow cant take any critisism at all???

no need to get your panties in a wad!!!

we're all on the same side here dude
Old 06-23-2006, 07:49 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

We are? That's funny, you're the only one that has come in here with a 'rice' comment. You're also the only one claiming the OEM cluster lighting to be sufficent and that this project harbors 0 praticality.

So NO, we're not all on the same side here.

You want to make negative comments? Fine. KEEP IT OUT OF A HOW-TO THREAD.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:33 PM

wow cant take any critisism at all???

no need to get your panties in a wad!!!

he never said anything back to you except to stay out of the thread, i dont think that means hes got his panties in a wad!!!!!

and if your making negative comments about someone trying to help everyone out by showing them how to make a decent mod to their car, then no, you arent on the same side as everyone else. keep the comments constructive or dont make any at all.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Doctor D I presume???

Originally Posted by 2k_MaXiMa_PiMpn
Dam metal ive been asking you for awhile how it is u do the clear needles on our 5th gen i just need a quick run down of how you did it im pretty sure i can take it from dere im planinng on doing my gauges orange to match my interior but id like to know how the clear needles were done PLZ and Thank You LOL Oh yea great work on the gauges i look forward to see how urs turnout becuz im kinda doing it a bit differently but its about the same basic concept.
I know a way it can be done, just havent had the time to do it. I learned how to do this kind of thing in college.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Jeepik when you contribute something to maxima.org other than your ignorance, im sure dan would listen to you. But since he has about 20 how-to's on this forum....well heres how it is

Metal--->maxima guru

Jeepik---> noob
Old 06-24-2006, 03:29 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by nismo0604
Metal--->maxima INTERIOR guru
Fixed.

Alright, well, looks as though I am not going to be able to get any updates in today. The missus and I are throwing a party tonight and I had to do alot more for it than I anticipated. HOWEVER, I have found a most interesting fact:

4th and 5th gen needles CANNOT be pulled straight out. 5.5 and AE cluster needles...PULL STRAIGHT OUT. I'll try and have updates as soon as possible, looks as though there are ALOT more LED 'easter eggs' in this cluster other than the gauges.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by nismo0604
Jeepik when you contribute something to maxima.org other than your ignorance, im sure dan would listen to you. But since he has about 20 how-to's on this forum....well heres how it is

Metal--->maxima guru

Jeepik---> noob
you know what i'll take that as a compliment!!!
Old 06-25-2006, 01:07 PM

you know what i'll take that as a compliment!!!
This guys fken retarded stay out the thread we're waiting for metals updates like crack feends and not your ignorrant comments.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:00 PM
Curb Rash Repair 100 a wheel

when is comes down to it, why are you commenting that this mod is rice? if you really feel that way dont read or post comments in this thread and move on...if you come back and read/post more Metal wins....you are still reading his thread.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:31 AM
Seoul Man

rice rice baby

You people do realize that these won't glare so much when they're BEHIND the gauges, right? Like everybody has been saying, the stock gauges are very dim compared to new Hondas, VWs, Toyotas, etc. My dad's CRV gauges look better at night than my Maxima gauges. Hell, even my 2001 Sentra had better looking gauges at night.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:51 AM
Seoul Man

I've been working on computers for a very long time, and those tiny fans are the bane of my existence. They're often used as laptop cooling fans, video card cooling fans, and northbridge chipset cooling fans, and they tend to make a lot of noise without moving very much air. I realize that the noise they make may not be that annoying in a car environment where there are louder things around to drown them out, but those fans also tend to have a short MTBF, and I sincerely doubt that you want to tear your gauge cluster apart to replace the cooling fans when their bearings start to fail.

Whenever it is possible, I rip those tiny fans off my computer components and replace them with large passive heatsinks. Of course, that works for my computer because I have decent case airflow, so the big heatsinks are actually more effective than the original tiny heatsinks and fans. I don't know what it's like behind the gauge cluster.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:40 AM
still brewin'

Originally Posted by spiromax
I've been working on computers for a very long time, and those tiny fans are the bane of my existence...and they tend to make a lot of noise without moving very much air.
I know what you mean. My laptop has two 1.5" fans in the back that tend to go off an on as I use it. They are rather noisy, so they may not be as practical as a more efficient heatsink. I agree also, when the ball bearing go bad, they sound like hell.

Quick Reply: HOW-TO WORKLOG: LED Loaded Instrument Cluster (+60 LEDs!) BRIGHTEST ORG CLUSTER YET