5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

my first time driving a stick!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my first time driving a stick!!

Heres the deal I just got a 00' se 5spd and for some reason I am having a very hard time learning to drive stick . I think ive stalled on my first ten tries. Also I seem to not get how to start from a stop specially on an uphill. Anyways I'm gonna practice more tommorow and see where I get to.
I have a quest though, is it normal that I have to step on the clutch all the way down to floor just so i can engage it?, my dad said that this is not normal, thats why Im asking. Also is there a way to change or fix this?
Pls let me know if anybody knows how to do this.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:37 PM

you can adjust where the clutch engages, though i dont know how because i have an auto i know it can be done.

an easy way to learn stick is to put the car in 1st, and slowly let the clutch out and see where its catch point is. this is where you want to start getting on the gas a little. the more you let out the clutch, the more you want to get on the gas. you want to try to keep it at 1k rmp until the gear is engaged, the rest is a like pie.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:57 PM
Drug Money

Originally Posted by MxdOut97
you can adjust where the clutch engages, though i dont know how because i have an auto i know it can be done.

an easy way to learn stick is to put the car in 1st, and slowly let the clutch out and see where its catch point is. this is where you want to start getting on the gas a little. the more you let out the clutch, the more you want to get on the gas. you want to try to keep it at 1k rmp until the gear is engaged, the rest is a like pie.
slip the clutch at about 2000-2500 rpm if you're a beginner, then give it more gas while letting out the clutch.

do this on first gear and you'll be fine.

the better you get, the less you need to slip.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:58 PM
Drug Money

oh yeah, you do need to floor the clutch to shift gears. unless you set the pedal otherwise.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:52 AM

Untill you get used to taking off on hills, you can use the emergency brake to help you keep the car from rolling back while you take off. After time it will become second nature, be patient. Congrats on the purchase, these are great cars.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:35 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

this sound kind of .. : the thread name
Old 06-24-2006, 06:09 AM

Yes, our clutches catch towards the bottom of the clutch pedal throw - so you'll need to push down the clutch pretty much all the way to the floor.

The key to driving stick is figuring out where the clutch catches. Once you figure it out, then it makes driving stick a lot easier. What you should do is go to a flat empty road, and engage the clutch in 1st gear without giving any gas or very little if you stall the car a couple times. You'll need to release the clutch very slowly - so that the car doesn't stall - and the car will start creeping forward. Do this a couple of times to get a really good feel for where the clutch catches. You should definitely be able to feel where the clutch begins to catch through the clutch pedal.

It takes time to learn, but once you get it, driving stick is a blast.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:29 AM

Also don't get discouraged. Practice, practice, practice and you'll get it in no time. Before I even got my license my parents taught me the basics then gave me the keys to the car and I practiced everyday driving around the block. In less than a week I had mastered it.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:37 AM
Sports Button FTW

if you want to learn, grab a honda cause they are super easy to drive. Shifting is smoother, pedal feels so soft and its just mad easy.

Wit the max u gotta push the pedal all the way down to shift and yes this is normal, thats just how the maxima is. I dont recommend adjusting the pedal. Some have done it and werent happy so they switched it back...others are surviving but since u r new to this whole thing, i recommend waiting till later to do it if u should even do it at all.

As far as first gear, u have to learn how the car is, all cars are different, not just by model. Go in a straight line and dont put gas until you can finally let go of the clutch. You have to let go of clutch VERY slowly. Watch the needle on rpm's. If you see that needle go under .500 rpm's, u r letting go too fast. Heavy gas is what beginners use but i think you'll learn more about the car if you try to engage with just the clutch. The max has a lot of power so it will move....unless it has maintenance issues. Good luck, we were all in your position at one time or another so dont feel bad if it takes u a while to get the hang of it.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:19 AM

when youre trying to launch the car...it helps to modulate the gas pedal a little. dont just hold the pedal down at like 2k or watever, bounce the revs until you find the spot you want to shift.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:15 AM
Drug Money

practice on a freaking tC or a Matrix XRS. those clutches are SOFT!!!
Old 06-24-2006, 09:17 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Just be patioent, man. It's not going to come overnight.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:34 AM

Actually the car that I've found is one of the easiest to start off with driving stick is the vr6 jettas and GTIs. They are relativly light have avg clutch pedal effort and they have enough torque that you can let the clutch out relativly slow (without touching the gas) and instead of stalling the car will just start moving forward. This is good for a newb cause it teaches them at what point the clutch engages and starts moving the car forward.

I am by no meens an expert when it comes to driving stick. I still use the e-brake when I need to start on a hill and I highly recommend it while starting out.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Nightmare = Reality

find a stock mid-90s civic to practice on. i've driven a 944, a WRX wagon, VibeGT/Matrix, mid-90s ford pickup, 01 TDI ford truck, a Solstice, CamaroSS, G356MT, and a 98 civic all with a stick. the hondas are insanely easy to drive if you're not very skilled with a stick. me personally though the G35 coupe was PERFECT to my driving style, very first time driving it, it was like an old friend. if you wanna get used to a 6-speed specifically though, the VibeGT would be great because the 3-4gate is very narrow and a bit notchy, so if you can get accustomed to the toyota tranny, then the maxima and G35 6-speeds are EASY
Old 06-24-2006, 12:19 PM

congrats on the 5spd = full control all the time. u'll love it. no need to borrow another car. practice on yours with the advice from above. U'll get it guaranteed!! u'll never go back to auto. enjoy!!!
Old 06-24-2006, 04:19 PM

I was a first time 6Spd driving in March. I flew out to Chicago to buy a Maxima 6Spd. I had to learn stick in the city, in the snow and do it all while lost. lol

Anyway, its strange to hear everyone say that the clutch engages near the bottom. Mine is a little more than 1/4 the way down.

The best advice that was given to me, was to get the clutch and gas to meet and pass at the same time. I agree with the tapping it for the revs, that is easier than holding the pedal down and getting the RPMs to 2000 and trying to baby the clutch. Plus with Premium being so expensive, it will save on gas.

Good luck, with practice it will become 2nd nature. Hills are the same, just have to give a little more gas, and be a little quicker on the clutch. Congradulations on your new purchase!
Old 06-24-2006, 11:00 PM

I think it helps to somewhat understand how the transmission works,and what the clutch does. I knew all of that stuff before I even had my license and I didn't stall out the first time driving a stick! Don't get me wrong everyone will stall while learning. You just don't stall as much.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:08 AM

oh, and since your still a n00b at driving stick do this, push clutch in all the way, put in 1st, rev the rpms to 5000, release the clutch, hold down gas...BURNOUT!!! hey ure still learning stick, its ok to learn to spin your tires, if anyone gets mad just tell them your learning to drive it, this also works on steep hills if your still scared of rolling back into a car, i was driving a cobra mustang one time when i first got my license and i stopped first at a red light, i didnt try to peelout but i didnt want to hit the car behind me and i burned rubber at the green light by accident, it was soo funny
Old 06-26-2006, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by t0mmyr
oh, and since your still a n00b at driving stick do this, push clutch in all the way, put in 1st, rev the rpms to 5000, release the clutch, hold down gas...BURNOUT!!! hey ure still learning stick, its ok to learn to spin your tires
yea don't do that...you'll be burning your clutch enough learning how to drive stick in the first place
Old 06-26-2006, 12:53 PM

Pratice is all you can do. Just don't ride the clutch. I taught myself how to drive standard and it's not hard at all. Just give yourself time before you know it you'll have it down. Sure you'll stall out a few times but hey its a learn thing
Old 06-26-2006, 03:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

be patient! it takes time. just remember, if you think your about to stall, use the clutch, not gas. If you panic, use the clutch then think about what to do next. Screw the guys behind you at the lights, don't let them make you feel rushed, just take your time. You can always do I what I did and take your maxima to bonnaroo (or an equivlant cluster f__k of traffic) and sit in stop and go traffic for 9 hours! Pretty much had the hang of it after that!