5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Sorry everyone... (Re: TL-S story)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2001, 09:36 PM

Didn't mean to make it into a thread war. It was merely an encounter I had and didn't know there was this TL-S vs. Maxima battle...or I wouldn't have posted it (I did beat another Accord on the freeway today... Accord owners, please don't post about how the accord is faster, etc).

To Kevin, thanks for being somewhat reluctant on closing the thread, it shows your maturity in the matter.

Oh... when we going to have a Maxima Day in Vegas... It'd be great.

Vegas has it all!
Old 06-20-2001, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by SCCA Solo2
Didn't mean to make it into a thread war. It was merely an encounter I had and didn't know there was this TL-S vs. Maxima battle...or I wouldn't have posted it (I did beat another Accord on the freeway today... Accord owners, please don't post about how the accord is faster, etc).

To Kevin, thanks for being somewhat reluctant on closing the thread, it shows your maturity in the matter.

Vegas has it all!
its not ur fault, its the immaturity of people these days that have to come on this board to whine about how there cars are suppose to be faster becuz all they take into consideration is HP.(no flames from other boards please).
Old 06-20-2001, 09:54 PM

(I did beat another Accord on the freeway today... Accord owners, please don't post about how the accord is faster, etc.
Don't worry, Accord V6 owners are a little more "real" and know better. "The fear da Max!! " Plus with your mods and a 5-spd you'll smoke an Accord V6 with every damn performance mod we got. You might even take one with NOS! (damn that Accord auto tranny )

If they come over here and say you're full of it I'll shut them down myself!!!

BTW SCCA Solo2, have you dynoed your car? What are you putting down to the wheels and what kind of ET's do you get with those mods??
Old 06-20-2001, 10:25 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Don't worry about it. No apologies necessary because it wasn't your fault. Only two TL owners were bad apples amongst the bunch. The flame turned into a very informative thread after a while so there was some good that came out from it.

Thanks for the compliment.
Old 06-21-2001, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Don't worry about it. No apologies necessary because it wasn't your fault. Only two TL owners were bad apples amongst the bunch. The flame turned into a very informative thread after a while so there was some good that came out from it.

Thanks for the compliment.
JOO da MAN, Kev!
Old 06-21-2001, 01:20 AM

Vegas has it all!
SCCA: There was just something about Bitium that really irked some of us (me especially). Not your fault for sharing a real kill. Max Day in Vegas would be great. It'll give us an excuse to go "vacation" there!
Old 06-21-2001, 04:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I enjoy the TL-S & CL-S race stories

but some people really don't take them very well.
Old 06-21-2001, 05:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: I enjoy the TL-S & CL-S race stories

Originally posted by KyMAXSE
but some people really don't take them very well.
I think people call that an inferiority complex!
Old 06-21-2001, 07:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

As a TL owner and acura-tl.com user, I consider myself an "ambassador" or sorts to this board. While I certainly don't intend to flame, this thread raises a few interesting points.

First.. as with ANY kill story... only the people involved know the truth. If you killed a TL-S, way to go! We have to take your word for it. I don't doubt that a well-driven 5-speed Maxima, especially with mods, could hang with or edge out a TL-S. Like I posted earlier, a manual transmission is a HUGE advantage even if that car has a horsepower defecit. With that being said... it's sad that you feel that you have to apologize for posting your kill. The verbal riot that resulted certainly wasn't your fault... it stemmed from ignorance on both "sides".

Aznwontonboy mentions that horsepower is not the final say in performance -- and he's exactly right. Like I said just above, a Maxima with a couple of mods... say 240hp... with a manual (and the lower drivetrain losses that accompany it) might very well take out a heavier car with an automatic and more power... that's a no brainer.

BUT... the interesting part is that some of the trolls that we've had on acura-tl.com's forums use ONLY the performance factor in comparing the two cars... which is a total 180 from what Aznwontonboy is preaching. If your $23,000 Maxima hangs with someone's $30,000 TL-S, by no means does it mean that the TL-S owner wasted $7,000. I could just as easily counter that anyone could go out any buy a used SE-R or GS-R for $5000-$7000, add an 80 or 100 shot of nitrous for $500 and smoke us both while having spent gobs less money. It certainly doesn't make that a better setup just because it's quicker.

I can't tell you how many threads were started on acura-tl.com from trolls that stated that since the Maxima is almost as quick/just as quick/quicker than a TL/TL-S and is cheaper.. that it's a better car. Anyone who buys into that is a mental midget and I think the rational people among you would agree. Personally, if my car-buying criteria consisted of QUICK and CHEAP I'd be out shopping for a used Z28, but I don't think anyone's going to argue that that's the best car out there.

I look forward to participating in more intelligent, civilized threads in the future.
Old 06-21-2001, 07:27 AM
Got Bent?

RAdams, thanks for posting here. Your points are well taken and I am sure everyone here will agree that no one wants things to get out of hand as they may have before. Welcome, and enjoy your stay here
Old 06-21-2001, 07:58 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Why do we all have to argue on who's car is better. You guys bought the TL's for your reasons and we bought the Max for our reasons. If any of us wanted performance, why don't we get a domestic muscle and race everyone on the streets? If we wanted a more luxurious car, we would've gotten a MB, BMW, etc. It all comes down to factors like budget, preference, influence, etc.

TL's/CL's are better than Maxima's in some ways and Maxima's are better than TL's/CL's in other ways. No need to flame the cars, but flame the stupid owners that speak through the other hole.
Old 06-21-2001, 08:11 AM

Hey guys, I don't mean to be philosophical here, but it's the male thing to be competitive, outdoing the other and seeing that "I have" the biggest and baddest schtick around. Being competitive is always going to be there as long they make faster and sleeker cars.

If you want to prove that you're the biggest & the baddest then arrange for a shootout! j/k

I agree with Kev. It's the owners of the cars that starts the ****. From reading the posts on the TL-S kill by SCCA SOLO, us maxima guys were the most civil compared to the TL-S guys.
Old 06-21-2001, 08:20 AM
OG and counting...

Why do we all have to argue on who's car is better. You guys bought the TL's for your reasons and we bought the Max for our reasons. If any of us wanted performance, why don't we get a domestic muscle and race everyone on the streets? If we wanted a more luxurious car, we would've gotten a MB, BMW, etc. It all comes down to factors like budget, preference, influence, etc.

TL's/CL's are better than Maxima's in some ways and Maxima's are better than TL's/CL's in other ways. No need to flame the cars, but flame the stupid owners that speak through the other hole.
Kev & RAdams, I couldn't have said it better myself. In fact, let me give you the short list of vehicles I looked at before I wound up with a Maxima.

1) Impala SS - I decided against it strictly because of gas mileage. When gas was recently 2 bucks, that car would have killed me at the gas pumps (My old Caprice ran me $52 and $56 on 2 separate occasions) whereas the Max cost me, at the worst, $27.

2) T-Bird V8 - I decided against that one strictly for gas mileage and Winter. I have driven a Mark VII LSC in the snow and that thing is a real trip to drive (unless you like doing a lot of tail out action).

3) Mark VII LSC - Same as the T-Bird and Impala. Also, some of the parts on these cars can be expensive to fix (e.g. 1 bladder for the air suspension - $400). Also, these cars share a lot with the '87-'93 Mustang GT/LX 5.0.

4) Regal Grand National - Can we say insurance?

I also considered a Taurus SHO and a Grand Prix GTP. But I got the Max.

I looked at a TL (when it first came out) and was disappointed in the legroom. Granted, I don't have a newer Max (yet ) but I am not going to be one who will start bashing cars. Every car has its strengths and weaknesses. Just my .02
Old 06-21-2001, 08:21 AM

...but flame the stupid owners that speak through the other hole.
Old 06-21-2001, 08:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by maximawanabee
Hey guys, I don't mean to be philosophical here, but it's the male thing to be competitive, outdoing the other and seeing that "I have" the biggest and baddest schtick around. Being competitive is always going to be there as long they make faster and sleeker cars.

If you want to prove that you're the biggest & the baddest then arrange for a shootout! j/k

I agree with Kev. It's the owners of the cars that starts the ****. From reading the posts on the TL-S kill by SCCA SOLO, us maxima guys were the most civil compared to the TL-S guys.
I, too, agree completely with Y2KevSE.

As far as the TL-S kill thread -- you're right... there were several stupid postings from TL owners that I regret. However, there have been tons of Maxima trolls on the TL board and I'm sure an equal amount of TL trolls on this board. Finding out who "started it" would be a lot like trying to figure out if the chicken or the egg came first -- it'd be futile to even attempt.

I hope I don't wear out my welcome here as I'm truly not trying to incite any more BS between the two camps.
Old 06-21-2001, 08:29 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by RAdams

I hope I don't wear out my welcome here as I'm truly not trying to incite any more BS between the two camps.
You're always welcomed as long as you don't make stupid comments (I haven't seen any from you so you're cool) like the other two.

Enjoy your stay.
Old 06-21-2001, 08:33 AM
OG and counting...

Originally posted by RAdams

Man, you are all good.
Old 06-21-2001, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by mbcp_tdogg

SCCA: There was just something about Bitium that really irked some of us (me especially). Not your fault for sharing a real kill. Max Day in Vegas would be great. It'll give us an excuse to go "vacation" there!
...i really need to change my handle (i dislike the SCCA Solo2 image now...don't ask). Hi everyone, my name's Kam

Max Day in Vegas... you could SOOOO easily trick the wife/girlfriend/kids into going to Vegas. With enough notice, you could get time off of work, make trip arrangements!!!

About my car, never dynoed it. Ran a 14.91@93mph with the rims. I'm sure with the mods it's a bit lower.
Old 06-21-2001, 10:55 AM
Got Bent?

...i really need to change my handle (i dislike the SCCA Solo2 image now...don't ask). Hi everyone, my name's Kam
perhaps you can ask Jamie to change it....
Old 06-21-2001, 10:56 AM

RAdams

thanks for being such a cool TL guy. I love it when people from other automotive boards can come to another "enemy" board and just intelligently talk shop and about the differences between cars without stupid-a$$ comments that start flames wars (as seen yesterday)

Stop by anytime
Old 06-21-2001, 11:08 AM

Agreed.