5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need some Ideas on How to inject structural foam into the SFCs

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need some Ideas on How to inject structural foam into the SFCs

As you guys prob know already I got the SFCs on and now I am going to use structual foam and increase their ridgidity even further.

I am going to be using the 16lb density foam on this page

http://www.shopmaninc.com/foam.html

As it says you need to mix the foam and get it into the SFCs in under 45 seconds or else it will start hardening on you. I was thinking of mixing it in the bucket with a power drill, then I need like an overgrown turkey baster to inject the stuff into small holes I'll drill in the SFCs. Then I was going to plug the holes with small pieces of cork to create some pressure so the foam would expand the entire length of the SFCs instead of oozing out of the holes.

Basically I am seing if anyone has any ideas on what to use to inject this stuff into tubing through a small hole, and do it rather quickly. A huge syringe would be the sort of thing I'm looking for. (I was watching a show last night were they follow a group of LA plastic surgeons and one lady was gettin lypo suction and she was getting the fat re-injected into her butt, they used this huge syringe to hold, and inject the fat into her butt and all I could think of was man that would be perfect to use with this structual foam) And I wanted to know if anyone had any ideas on any better ways to get it in the tubing and ensure it takes the entire shape of the tube and doesnt leave any air pockets near the end of the tubing.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:02 PM

I'm going to assume that SFC=Sub Frame Connector? If so, why do you want to inject structural foam into them?

I had a '94 Mustang GT and had a shop weld in some custom rectangular steel bar subframe connectors and they made a huge difference in structural rigidity. Can't imagine that injecting them with foam would do much to improve that...they were pretty stout to begin with.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:09 PM
retired moderator

why don't you just get a funnel with a hose and pour the foam into the holes?
Old 07-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Nightmare = Reality

i bet you could use an air compressor and something like a power sprayer. a paint gun wouldn't be a bad idea except the stuff has to be really thin and watery for a paint gun to work right. . .I would say drill a single, larger hole at one end of the fixture and do the funnel thing like irish said. it should work okay. maybe use it at a cooler temp so the expansion is less and you dont risk clogging your pour tools.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:47 PM

sorry guys theres absolutly no way even the smallest funnel would fit in there. The SFCs are very close to the underside of the car.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:54 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Sounds like you should have done this before welding it onto the car.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Sounds like you should have done this before welding it onto the car.
once you foam a tube you cant weld on it, cause it will screw up the foam on the inside of the tube, the foam is heat sensitive.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

So, the square steel tubing isn't rigid enough? How many roll cages do you see people fill with "foam"?
Old 07-09-2006, 07:00 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by sciff5
once you foam a tube you cant weld on it, cause it will screw up the foam on the inside of the tube, the foam is heat sensitive.
Uh, I don't buy that for a second.

Who told you this? If the foam really were heat sensitive, then you would have an incessant amount of expansion and contraction of the foam which would have quite an adverse effect on the steel. Moreover, one of the great properties of foam is that it DOES NOT expand or contract...
Old 07-09-2006, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Uh, I don't buy that for a second.

Who told you this? If the foam really were heat sensitive, then you would have an incessant amount of expansion and contraction of the foam which would have quite an adverse effect on the steel. Moreover, one of the great properties of foam is that it DOES NOT expand or contract...

Well beleive it! Its not arguable, its a fact. I'm sure of it

How sensitive to heat, I dont know but I know the heat that a welder creates melts the foam into sludge.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:25 PM

Hmm maybe using one of those hand held chemical sprayers that u can pump up from the top and they have a wand with sprayer, u can get em at home depot, that is depending on how thick the solution is if it will work
Old 07-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Nightmare = Reality

i think opanick just gave you the perfect solution. those are cheap so if the resin cures in the nozzle you just need to buy a new one, and you wouldnt have to unbolt it to foam it.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:28 PM

I believe your idea of drilling holes into the sfc tubes would do more damage to their overall strength then you will realize by adding the structural foam.

Instead why not foam the A, B and C pillars all the way from the roof to the floor. Now that would be like adding as close to a roll cage to our cars then anything short of the real thing. Your current sfc's got the bottom area, between the wheel base covered. I would start there it can't be too difficult.

I "great stuffed" my pillars on my old 92SE, and while I realize its by no means structural foam, it worked wonders for those pesky hidden rattles and seemed to do a fair job of solidifying the car. Just don't think your ever going to get a body shop to work on your ride if you ever get T-boned. No one plans on that happening anyway and more than likely it would be totalled by the Ins. Co., so I say go for it and let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by opanick
Hmm maybe using one of those hand held chemical sprayers that u can pump up from the top and they have a wand with sprayer, u can get em at home depot, that is depending on how thick the solution is if it will work
sounds like the best solution so far, but I'm not sure the foam would fit through the nozzle of that thing.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:56 PM

yea im not sure either, i should ask my friend he owns a pest control business, or maybe u can retrofit the nozzle with something else
Old 07-09-2006, 11:17 PM

You are wasting your time and $$.

This brings me back to when you were going to have your car at 500whp... You get over excited and start blowing things out of proportion and over do it.

The SFC and MORE than enough to get the Max to its handling limits... You are trying to get a four door solid rear beam freight ship to handle like an Elise...

I under stand your excitement, but you are doing all of this to the wrong car. It is a losing investment, anyone looking for a Maxima will run from your car. I learned this lesson when I went to sell my car 7 months ago and I got calls from 30+ year olds who all said basically, "thats not the car for me". If my car was stock I would have sold it in under a week, but it sat for three months with no takers thanks to all the mods because it is a Maxima.

If you really want a car that you can do all this to and still make it an "investment", you need to start with a sports car...

I am slowly making the Max more daily driver and I have basically cut off modding and I am making plans for a real sports car. If you really want to mod a car like this but can only afford one car at a time and need a winter car, stop modding the hell out of the Max, take the modding money and put it towards paying it off. Then buy a sports car and have at it!

I have my sights set on a C6 Vette next summer, suddenly modding a Max is no longer fun.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:49 AM
L33t BMW Drivah

This is hilarious. I need to call Maximum Motorsports first thing in the morning. I never got my turkey baster, and my Full length SFC's have no faom either. WTF ?
Old 07-10-2006, 03:07 PM

If you dont know what foam is or why I'm doing this dont waste your time or mine posting in this thread, Most of you have just been thread hijacking with stupid comments.

Do a search if you dont know how or why Foam would make the SFCs stonger.

And to upstate max.. what I do with my car is my business.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:02 PM

And to upstate max.. what I do with my car is my business.

I know full well what you do to your car is your business, but I will still give my opinion. If you want to just blindly look at my post as "bashing" you then fine, but if you just stopped and really evaluated your situation you would realize I am trying to help you and save you some serious headaches.

Once again think of how much time and $$ you are dumping into this car and then apply it to a better platform. Most sports cars in stock form handle better than a modified Maxima, and have a MUCH higher potential for maximum performance. On top of all that, they will still hold a resale value, might even go up in value, a Maxima will drop in value and be almost impossible to sell.

But as you said, what you do is your business, just like your motor was and we all know how that turned out…
Old 07-10-2006, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
I know full well what you do to your car is your business, but I will still give my opinion. If you want to just blindly look at my post as "bashing" you then fine, but if you just stopped and really evaluated your situation you would realize I am trying to help you and save you some serious headaches.

Once again think of how much time and $$ you are dumping into this car and then apply it to a better platform. Most sports cars in stock form handle better than a modified Maxima, and have a MUCH higher potential for maximum performance. On top of all that, they will still hold a resale value, might even go up in value, a Maxima will drop in value and be almost impossible to sell.

But as you said, what you do is your business, just like your motor was and we all know how that turned out…

My motor sucked a bolt... thats a problem in the manufacturing process.. it had nothing to do with me. How am I investing large sums of money into my car.. the foam is 23$ shipped...

And I plan to invest in another car, thats why I decided against doing any major motor mods on my I35. I am spending that money on an 88 rx7 with an LS1 in it.

I dont mind people offering their opinion, but I feel like people on this board have a tendency to shove their opinion down your throat.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:26 PM
retired moderator

The SFC and MORE than enough to get the Max to its handling limits...
I'm gonna have to agree here....if you feel the need for more stiffening, I doubt that the foam in the SFCs will do the trick. It would be more efffective to fill the rocker panels, pillars, and front subframe with foam for stiffening effect.

I under stand your excitement, but you are doing all of this to the wrong car.
Gonna have to disagree here....I don't think sciff is trying to make his car a world-beater...only to get the most out of it as a daily driver and occasional track car. Same thing I'm doing. I'm under no misconceptions that I will win SCCA nationals in a Maxima....most of what I do is to make the car ride and handle to the maximum potential on the street. Including the price of buying my Maxima and all the mods (incl. 3 sets of wheels/tires) I've probably spent $25K on the car....and it is FASTER and HANDLES BETTER than a new G35 sedan, at can hold its own with a new 3-series BMW....both of which cost $10-15K more. If I had $30K to spend on a car, I'd rather have a $20K car with $10K in mods than a bone-stock $30K car....that's no fun!

If you really want a car that you can do all this to and still make it an "investment", you need to start with a sports car...
the only cars that can be considered "investments" are true classic cars. Only the rarest of late-model sportscars will ever go UP in value. Most vettes won't. Porsche Boxsters? No. G35? No. If you consider cars to be an investment, I pray you're not playing the stock market

I have my sights set on a C6 Vette next summer, suddenly modding a Max is no longer fun. :
3000+ lbs? that's not a sportscar. That's a 2-door sedan with a big engine and fat tires 1800 lbs....mine is a sportscar

And you know nothing about modding unless you know that the 4-piston front calipers on the late-80s Toyota 4x4 truck will bolt directly up to a 1970 Triumph GT6's front spindle, using the original rotors!
Old 07-10-2006, 06:45 PM
+Cru OG

Consult a certified professional to do the SFC foaming so you don't overmix/undermix the ingredients. If you're not sure how you're going to get it in the tubes, stop while you're ahead. Going about it this way might/will compromise your SFC and lose its purpose. Drilling a hole in a rigid tube might otherwise create a "weak spot."
Old 07-10-2006, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j

the only cars that can be considered "investments" are true classic cars. Only the rarest of late-model sportscars will ever go UP in value. Most vettes won't. Porsche Boxsters? No. G35? No. If you consider cars to be an investment, I pray you're not playing the stock market

3000+ lbs? that's not a sportscar. That's a 2-door sedan with a big engine and fat tires 1800 lbs....mine is a sportscar

And you know nothing about modding unless you know that the 4-piston front calipers on the late-80s Toyota 4x4 truck will bolt directly up to a 1970 Triumph GT6's front spindle, using the original rotors!
I under stand that the only true investment cars are rare classic cars and most super cars. That’s why I used the " " when I used the investment word... I said that only because most sports cars don’t drop in value and become very hard to sell when you mod the hell out of them. They hold value and usually reflect a bit of the mod cost. I have yet to see a heavily modified sports car have a hard time selling for my Brother and his Boss, they deal mostly in rare cars and heavily modified sports cars. They will not go near a modified Maxima (or like there of) because they are way to hard to sell and usually they take a bath on them.

Laughing at the Vette being called a sports car because it is 3000+lbs... Well ok, but I guess The Ferrari F430 is also not a sports car then since it also boast a curb weight of 3200lbs. Its just a simple difference of taste not fact.

Your aim for your car is a nimble little auto-x car, but that is not the only definition of a sports car... Mine happens to be big power (preferably from a 8+ cyl), Big fat rear tires good for big fat black strips down the road, sounds mean as hell, looks great and handles pretty damn good for 3000+lbs.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:06 PM

My motor sucked a bolt... thats a problem in the manufacturing process.. it had nothing to do with me. How am I investing large sums of money into my car.. the foam is 23$ shipped...

And I plan to invest in another car, thats why I decided against doing any major motor mods on my I35. I am spending that money on an 88 rx7 with an LS1 in it.

I dont mind people offering their opinion, but I feel like people on this board have a tendency to shove their opinion down your throat.
Its not just the $$, it is also time. And it could cost you a lot of $$ if you destroy your brand new SFC filling them with foam when you have no practical experiance with it.

So drill and spray away if thats what your little heart wants to do, I am just here to give an opinion.

BTW; with your motor I am not talking about it sucking a bolt, I am talking about you finally realizing that it was a waste of money and more complicated and expensive than you had planned on. I happy to hear you have other plans for a better platform, I just don't want to see you go over board and start doing stuff you might end up wishing you never did on your i30.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:10 PM

I under stand that the only true investment cars are rare classic cars and most super cars. That’s why I used the " " when I used the investment word... I said that only because most sports cars don’t drop in value and become very hard to sell when you mod the hell out of them. They hold value and usually reflect a bit of the mod cost. I have yet to see a heavily modified sports car have a hard time selling for my Brother and his Boss, they deal mostly in rare cars and heavily modified sports cars. They will not go near a modified Maxima (or like there of) because they are way to hard to sell and usually they take a bath on them.

Laughing at the Vette being called a sports car because it is 3000+lbs... Well ok, but I guess The Ferrari F430 is also not a sports car then since it also boast a curb weight of 3200lbs. Its just a simple difference of taste not fact.

Your aim for your car is a nimble little auto-x car, but that is not the only definition of a sports car... Mine happens to be big power (preferably from a 8+ cyl), Big fat rear tires good for big fat black strips down the road, sounds mean as hell, looks great and handles pretty damn good for 3000+lbs.

well I could also call you pretty stupid in terms of your investment on the vette. That vette, is going to depreciate more in 1 year, than my rx7 with an ls1 is going to cost total, and the rx7 would be able to keep up if not beat it in terms of performance. The RX7 with a stock LS1 runs a 11.9 sec 1/4 mile, and can easily be built for under 10k.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:13 PM
retired moderator

said tongue in cheek.....remember the Crocodile Dundee...."That's not a knife....THIS is a knife!"

After all, the Maxima is the 4-door sports car (4DSC)

Don't get me wrong...I could do some sports driving in a Z06 or C6....

When complete, I expect about 240hp coming out of an inline-6 on that Triumph.

240hp in a 1800lb car = about 430hp Corvette....not too bad!
My 215-width rears on the 1800lb car = 375-width rears on a vette.

but the true sign of a true sports car:

British wiring harness shorting out all electrical components in the middle of Watkin's Glen course....PRICELESS!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:18 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Old 07-10-2006, 07:20 PM

well I could also call you pretty stupid in terms of your investment on the vette. That vette, is going to depreciate more in 1 year, than my rx7 with an ls1 is going to cost total, and the rx7 would be able to keep up if not beat it in terms of performance. The RX7 with a stock LS1 runs a 11.9 sec 1/4 mile, and can easily be built for under 10k.

That’s only good if you want an 88 with a swapped motor...

I want something new, with modern tech and conveniences. If I can afford it, why not, and it is only stupid if I turn around and sell it in a year or two... I keep my cars for long periods of time so it will more than pay itself off... Not to mention that Vettes hold value fairly well and wait till a well maintained "mint" Vette grows up to be a classic... They start heading right back up in value.

Why don’t you sit around and see what a Cammed, tuned and full exhaust Vette can pull (I sat in one this weekend that runs 9.6’s in the 1/4). The LS2 with some tweaking is a nasty motor.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:26 PM
retired moderator

if it has A/C, power steering, power windows, keyless entry, or power brakes...it ain't a real sports car That's because without all that power stuff, you have to be an athlete to drive it (sorry, old British car joke....quite Dry, as the Brits like their humour).
Old 07-10-2006, 07:29 PM
retired moderator

I want something new, with modern tech and conveniences. If I can afford it, why not, and it is only stupid if I turn around and sell it in a year or two... I keep my cars for long periods of time so it will more than pay itself off... Not to mention that Vettes hold value fairly well and wait till a well maintained "mint" Vette grows up to be a classic... They start heading right back up in value.

Why don’t you sit around and see what a Cammed, tuned and full exhaust Vette can pull (I sat in one this weekend that runs 9.6’s in the 1/4). The LS2 with some tweaking is a nasty motor.
not sure if 1/4 mile is the real measure of a sportscar though. After all, Matty is running 10's in his 4th gen - but it would be a mighty stretch to call it a sportscar

Not to say that a Vette can't do pretty well on a road course as well....just saying, you can drop a big engine in damn near anything and make it fast in a straight line. I've seen a Volvo 240 Wagon running sub-10 1/4's (with a 700-hp V8 under the hood). The measure of a sportscar is how it handles Tail of the Dragon....
Old 07-10-2006, 07:29 PM
retired moderator

ok, that's enough threadjacking for me. Sorry sciff...you know I get carried away when I have classic sportscars in my head!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:34 PM

said tongue in cheek.....remember the Crocodile Dundee...."That's not a knife....THIS is a knife!"

After all, the Maxima is the 4-door sports car (4DSC)

Don't get me wrong...I could do some sports driving in a Z06 or C6....
As I said before, it comes down to taste and your personal feelings. But to deny a C6 Vette sportscar status because it weighs 3000lbs is just being crazy since it packs the engine and tires to move that weight.

Especially since most people consider a 350z a sports car when it tips the scales at 34000lbs with only 280-300 hp to move it.

When complete, I expect about 240hp coming out of an inline-6 on that Triumph.

240hp in a 1800lb car = about 430hp Corvette....not too bad!
My 215-width rears on the 1800lb car = 375-width rears on a vette.
I will not deny that car can post some nice #'s, but it is just not my cup of tea when I am looking for a sports car. TO ME, a big chunk of a sports car is the attitude it has and much of that attitude to me is a great mellody of massive V8 singing through equally massive exhaust pipes. Thats what gets MY heart and adrenaline pumping.

but the true sign of a true sports car:

British wiring harness shorting out all electrical components in the middle of Watkin's Glen course....PRICELESS!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:37 PM

not sure if 1/4 mile is the real measure of a sportscar though. After all, Matty is running 10's in his 4th gen - but it would be a mighty stretch to call it a sportscar

Not to say that a Vette can't do pretty well on a road course as well....just saying, you can drop a big engine in damn near anything and make it fast in a straight line. I've seen a Volvo 240 Wagon running sub-10 1/4's (with a 700-hp V8 under the hood). The measure of a sportscar is how it handles Tail of the Dragon....

I would never use 1/4 mile times to determine if a car is a sports car, Sciff just brought them up when he was talking about an LS1 powered RX-7. So I mentioned the 1/4 mile times of a friends LS2 powered Vette...
Old 07-10-2006, 07:48 PM
retired moderator

As I said before, it comes down to taste and your personal feelings. But to deny a C6 Vette sportscar status because it weighs 3000lbs is just being crazy since it packs the engine and tires to move that weight.
You know I'm just messing with you, right? The second car I ever drove was a 66 Vette with a 427....And that weighs over 3000 lbs IIRC. Still my favorite sportscar that I've ever driven (including my Triumphs)

Especially since most people consider a 350z a sports car when it tips the scales at 34000lbs with only 280-300 hp to move it.
IMO the 350Z is a sportscoupe at best. I drove one with headers, and while it was fast, it just felt big and heavy, and didn't have the "rawness" that I think of when I think of sportscars....too refined and overweight, IMO.

I will not deny that car can post some nice #'s, but it is just not my cup of tea when I am looking for a sports car. TO ME, a big chunk of a sports car is the attitude it has and much of that attitude to me is a great mellody of massive V8 singing through equally massive exhaust pipes. Thats what gets MY heart and adrenaline pumping.
so...you mean a little something like this, then

must....

resist....

further.....

threadjacking.....

Old 07-10-2006, 07:58 PM
maxS

screw vette. ther are pos.

Old 07-10-2006, 07:59 PM

You know I'm just messing with you, right? The second car I ever drove was a 66 Vette with a 427....And that weighs over 3000 lbs IIRC. Still my favorite sportscar that I've ever driven (including my Triumphs)
I figured as much, but I still had to defend the Vette at all cost!

Now thats what I grew up with! But I don't call them sports cars...

They are Muscle Cars... Summed up best by a friend; "She is pretty to look at, listen to and run in a 1/4 mile, just hope to god that there is not a turn anywhere in sight because thats when she gets ugly".
Old 07-10-2006, 08:04 PM
retired moderator

They are Muscle Cars... Summed up best by a friend; "She is pretty to look at, listen to and run in a 1/4 mile, just hope to god that there is not a turn anywhere in sight because thats when she gets ugly".
yeah, the Camaro could qualify as a sportscar (I saw that guy's suspension close-up and it was setup well for road course work with different wheels/tires), but the Chevelle was pure muscle....monster engine, jacked up rear, etc...a pure drag car (he was running in the low 11's, IIRC..and probably wasn't pushing it)
Old 07-10-2006, 08:17 PM

There is nothing wrong with a vette, I am just saying to each his own.. I have put less than 2k into my I35 and I plan on spending less than 5k on it. That doesnt seem to be too crazy to me. Also not just 1/4mi but RX7s can handle insanely well. With new bushings, coilovers, and good tires the RX7 is a beast on a road course, or autox course. There is nothin wrong with wanting a new car thats fast, looks great and is overall one of the best values of the decade, and I undersand why you choose to spend your money that way just please understand that I do have a plan for my I35 and for the RX7 and I have reasons for spending my money the way I am.

I agree irish that foaming the frame rails and the pillars would add a lot more to the performance of the car than foaming the SFCs but once you foam the car it would permenantly destroy the value of the car, and it would be irreversable. Not to mention if anything went wrong and the foam started rattling around. This way if I foam the SFCs the worse case scenario is I ruin the SFCs and this mistake costs me 400$. If I screw up anywhere on the car, the car is pretty much destroyed. I understand that SFCs also kill the value of the car, but also remember that the underside of my car can be made completly stock again, with a grinder and about an hour of someones time.

BTW its more than just a large engine in a small car. The LS1 is an aluminum block with aluminum heads. The Ls1 and T56 combo is only about 20lbs more than the rotary unit and the stock tranny. Also the center of gravity, isnt an higher than stock.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:06 PM

Anyway...back to the question at hand. If you are still interested in foaming your SFCs or any other tight enclosed space, I would suggest a squeeze-bulb siphon, such as those used for pumping gas out of tanks. They are cheap and have a large enough bore to accomodate the viscous foam mixture. Before you begin, replace the original outlet tube of the siphon with one that is long enough to run the entire length of the cavity you want to fill. Drill a hole in one end of the SFCs. Thread the siphon through the hole all the way down the other end of the SFCs. As you pump the foam mix in, slowly pull the siphon tube out. That way, you get an even fill. Good luck! Hope that helps.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by bigEL
Anyway...back to the question at hand. If you are still interested in foaming your SFCs or any other tight enclosed space, I would suggest a squeeze-bulb siphon, such as those used for pumping gas out of tanks. They are cheap and have a large enough bore to accomodate the viscous foam mixture. Before you begin, replace the original outlet tube of the siphon with one that is long enough to run the entire length of the cavity you want to fill. Drill a hole in one end of the SFCs. Thread the siphon through the hole all the way down the other end of the SFCs. As you pump the foam mix in, slowly pull the siphon tube out. That way, you get an even fill. Good luck! Hope that helps.
Thank You! Thats the type of answer I was looking for but I dont know what a squeeze bulb siphon is or where to get it. Where would I get one?

Quick Reply: Need some Ideas on How to inject structural foam into the SFCs