5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

LTB II and RSB squeaking/thumping

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 08:41 PM

LTB II and RSB squeaking/thumping

I've had both of these on my car now for about a month.

The LTB II was silent until the stablizer links blew out on me and that started to make some noises on the road. Now latley there is even more noise...a very noticable squeaking whenever I stop hard at low speeds or accelerate hard from a stop. Did anyone expereince this at all?

The RSB is making a thumping noise whenever I go over bumps with some people in the back. Its a loud thump. Anyone know what to do about this problem?

Thanks
Old 07-11-2006, 09:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had some similar problems with my front suspension when i attempted to install the LTB II.

Did you use the stock control arm and sway bar bushings or you replaced them???
Did you torque the control arm front nuts when the car was on the ground (loader) or when it was in the air. I was told that the front control arm nuts should be torqued when the car is on the ground (loaded). I am not sure how you can do this if you have an AT. On AT cars, when the CA is mounted and LTB is on, there is NOT enough room to use a socket to tighten the front nut.
I'm still confused on this one.

Anyway.... i replaced the rubber bushings on my front sway bar (when trying to put the LTB on) and i think that this was part of the reason i got the front clunk. I also disconnected and reattached the sway bar links in the process. What i did to fix it, ....i adjusted the sway bar end links so they were straight/vertical and then i loosened and retorqued the control arms front nuts when the car was on the ground (on ramps) . All clunks/noises went away. Note: i still do not have the LTB installed. All i have on are the new ES poly bushings on the sway bar.

As far as the RSB, make sure that it is NOT touching the frame/body anywhere....when car is loaded or unloaded. I've had my RSB on for 2+ years now and it never made a noise. You may have to move yours a little, retorque all the bolts to get it in the right position. If the RSB was all quiet at the begining and it became noisy over time, it means that it was not installed properly and it moved itself as you were driving the car. Secure it proplerly.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hmmm I htink I might have this problem also...I'll look into it later today.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:06 AM
It's business time.

If the sway bar is clunking it very well may need its hardware tightened.