5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Problem/play in the steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 06:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Severe problem/play with steering

Alright guys, I don't know what's going on with the Max but something's wrong for sure. It feels as though I am running on a flat tire in the Max. I have Nitto 555's up front and the steering has been on rails until now. I don't know what the problem is so I am going to jack up the car and take a quick peek at it tonight. I have a bad feeling that if I don't find the problem it will only get worse and eventually something will break.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I found out what the problem was. Ever since I got my Tein H-techs and Illuminas installed, I have been meaning to get the car aligned. I kept putting it off and eventually forgot about it.

Well this was my wake up call. I put the car in the garage and jacked it up. I checked for leaks and fluid loss but found nothing. I checked the steering by rotating the tires lock to lock. Still nothing unusual.

I was examining the tires for bubbles in the side wall when I realized what the problem was. Due to the slight negative camber of the springs and struts, the inside edge of the tire was completely worn away. There were several spots with exposed threads. The sloppy steering was the internal belting of the tires starting to fail.

Needless to say, the car is parked. Both front wheels have been removed. New tires will be installed tomorrow. If I was the typical uninformed driver, one or both of the tires would have eventually failed and I might not be typing this right now.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:50 AM

Im not sure if this might be relative but ive been noticing sloppy steering on my car as well. It seems i have to turn the wheel at least 360 degrees to make the smallest turn. Also, when i went to put air into my rear tire last nite, the psi sensor said it was at 20 psi and i tried to fill the tire up but it seemed it kept forcing it out...it wouldnt let me put anymore air into it...suggestion?