5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Addco RSB

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2001, 09:16 PM
maxleaner

1. Anyone drive a 5th gen with Addco and a 5th gen with Stillen and seen/felt any difference? Allegedly, Stillen is adjustable whereas Addco isn't. What setting of Stillen would Addco be comparable?

2. Parts list sticky thread is inaccurate: Courtesy does not sell RSB's per an e-mail I received yesterday.

3. Has anyone bought the Addco through Pep Boys? My experience with large autoparts chain stores indicate many employees don't know jack - so I'd like to know part number and all associated attaching equipment (I've seen pics and narrative at Cattman that suggest bushings might be sold separately).

4. To anyone who's seen Stillen and Addco RSB's: Any major differences in construction: (eg casting vs. forging, surface finish, corrosion protection, etc.)?

I've seen a comment that Addco might make more noise, particularly if you lower your car. I don't plan on slamming, so no concern there. I prefer cheap performance over image and aesthetics.

I appreciate any and all input on this subject.

Old 06-21-2001, 09:35 PM

yeah i did reaserch on this

Originally posted by maxleaner
1. Anyone drive a 5th gen with Addco and a 5th gen with Stillen and seen/felt any difference? Allegedly, Stillen is adjustable whereas Addco isn't. What setting of Stillen would Addco be comparable?

2. Parts list sticky thread is inaccurate: Courtesy does not sell RSB's per an e-mail I received yesterday.

3. Has anyone bought the Addco through Pep Boys? My experience with large autoparts chain stores indicate many employees don't know jack - so I'd like to know part number and all associated attaching equipment (I've seen pics and narrative at Cattman that suggest bushings might be sold separately).

4. To anyone who's seen Stillen and Addco RSB's: Any major differences in construction: (eg casting vs. forging, surface finish, corrosion protection, etc.)?

I've seen a comment that Addco might make more noise, particularly if you lower your car. I don't plan on slamming, so no concern there. I prefer cheap performance over image and aesthetics.

I appreciate any and all input on this subject.
The ADDCO one is 100 dollars cheaper, i read it does give you clunking.
Anyway just do a search, 5th gen >Addco>Punkdork

Roger
Old 06-21-2001, 09:53 PM

Re: yeah i did reaserch on this

Originally posted by radpp16

The ADDCO one is 100 dollars cheaper, i read it does give you clunking.
Anyway just do a search, 5th gen >Addco>Punkdork

Roger
You can clear up the clunking if you adjust where the rear brackets are exactly on the rear axle.
Old 06-21-2001, 10:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I helped a 5th gen put on his Addco RSB and took a ride around afterwards for a while. No clunking. And it's not like we had the music real loud or anything. Guess we got the brackets placed right the first time.
Old 06-21-2001, 10:39 PM
maxleaner

Thanks raddpp16

Looks like I missed the latest post discussing the two by only two days.

I think I'm goin' with the "stealin". I want max performance/reliability and no thunks.

I still think Stillen is charging for the name. RSB's are not that high tech. It's not like they have some kind of special proprietary design...And it sounds like Stillen is the one making all the profit - at least that is what the dealers are claiming...Of course if Stillen subcontracts the actual fabrication in very small lots, that could explain it. It's gotta be cheap to make - standard rod, bent, maybe annealed and heat treated with some kind of finish and some mounting hardware - probably 50-60 bucks apiece max in sufficient quantities.