5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Projectors vs. Stock HID's

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 06:50 PM

Projectors vs. Stock HID's

Hey guys my HID covers are in pretty rough shape, and i found these really nice projectors on ebay. Are these the same or better as the stock HID's and are the same color variation? Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-02...QQcmdZViewItem

Should I just get these? Or look for covers for my stock HID's?
I cant search so, plus I dont know about projectors so....
Old 07-14-2006, 07:00 PM
retired moderator

1. Those are complete garbage.
2. Your visibility will suck
3. Why would you go from HID to halogens?
4. Note: "Not made for HID bulbs which will damage these headlights "

ps....if you look in the detailing section, there is discussion about how to polish the lenses of your headlights to get the scratches out....
Old 07-14-2006, 07:03 PM

I tried the wetsanding and it made them smooth, but there hazy as all hell. Ill try autozone maybe tommorow for some haze remover. Should I wetsand them again?
Old 07-15-2006, 06:39 AM

what grit did you use? i think ending at 1200 grit is good. AND THEN i hear you have to use plastic polish to make it clear.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:55 AM

I did 600, 1000, and 2000, in that order. Then used meguiaris plasticx scratch remover and its still like that.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:02 AM

try some rubbing compound. I have plast X and I don't like it but I used something else called blue magic and that cleared up my headlights pretty well.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

maybe stick with the 600 a little longer before going finer?

mine look like new.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:21 PM
maxS

use a machine, not hands.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:51 PM
No More Maxipad

don't use plastx it doesn't remove clear the headlights. use the Permatex lense cleaning kit. It comes with gloves, cotton polish cloth, plastic compound chemical, instruction manual and 4grits of sandpapers (1000, 1500,2000,2500). some guy on another forum used this kit to clean his headlights and came out really good. he says plastx didn't work.

here's link in case you want to know...

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=75525
Old 07-17-2006, 07:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

use a machine for the final polish

i used plasticx, and it worked decent, but the haze was back in about 2 months.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:02 PM

Well if you are interested in gettin headlight that are projectors, I spotted some on ebay that they "CLAIM" will work with the OEM hid's. How reliable that information is I do not know. But here is a link so you can see what I'm talkin about. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-03...07862004QQrdZ1

It states can be chaged to 4200k Xenon gas or higher. I'ma noob when it comes to hid's but I think that means the oem ones we got in our cars right? Sorry If I'm wrong.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Elfzors
Well if you are interested in gettin headlight that are projectors, I spotted some on ebay that they "CLAIM" will work with the OEM hid's. How reliable that information is I do not know. But here is a link so you can see what I'm talkin about. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-03...07862004QQrdZ1

It states can be chaged to 4200k Xenon gas or higher. I'ma noob when it comes to hid's but I think that means the oem ones we got in our cars right? Sorry If I'm wrong.

Thing that sparked my interest about these is that the lense says D2R... I got the first batch and mine says H3 so I wonder if the projector has been changed out or something. Hmmm, very curious.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:34 AM

As a shopper you have to do your homework. Some of these sellers will say stuff to get you to buy. They're not interested in satisfiying the customer, they're just out to make a fast buck. Symmic Performance (syperformance) know how to sells these headlights.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISSA...QQcmdZViewItem

They show pics of the rear of the assembly and label the bulbs it uses. Now what pi$$es me off is that ebay sellers continue to advertise these headlights for 02/03 Maximas with the selling point "no modification necessary." Syperformance doesn't state it but does have other disclaimers.

I think it means you can replace the H3 bulbs that comes with the headlight with a bulbs that have a higher kelvin rating. I tried a 7500K Piaa Plasma Spark blue. That was a big waste of money. Color was nice but the light output was crap! BTW-what year is your Max? If you have an 02/03 then I think you know what you're talking about.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by ChromeSE5
Thing that sparked my interest about these is that the lense says D2R... I got the first batch and mine says H3 so I wonder if the projector has been changed out or something. Hmmm, very curious.
Did it really say D2R? Not D2S? That's strange. I got my set about two years ago and mine are H3. I'm not even done with my first retrofit and I'm already considering getting another set for my next retrofit.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi guys - I was also thinking about replacing the HIDs with the Halos seen on Ebay since the HIDs are highly coveted by thieves. My only concern is that the Halos are meant for the 00 and 01 Maximas only - whereas the 02 and 03 Maximas with HIDs would have to be "modified". I have not been able to get a straight answer from vendors selling these items. I don't wanna be a victim of thieves again but would also like to keep the HID look - these lights seem like a good alternative - my concern is they would not fit on my 02 SE. Any suggestions? Anyone with an 02 or 03 with pictures of swapped out headlights? Thanks!
Old 07-18-2006, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by 808MAX-SPEC
I think it means you can replace the H3 bulbs that comes with the headlight with a bulbs that have a higher kelvin rating. I tried a 7500K Piaa Plasma Spark blue. That was a big waste of money. Color was nice but the light output was crap! BTW-what year is your Max? If you have an 02/03 then I think you know what you're talking about.
I have a "02. I dunno though, some say they will work with the OEM HiDs, some say they won't but they all look the same IMO. I'ma just do a custom retrofit. Haven't decided what projectors I wanna go with yet though. Read the write up by I believe it was Roy. Nice write up, but he used MDX projectors. I'ma do my research and see what i can find and learn about BMW, or Audi projectors. Once I get one started I'll do a write up on it as well.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:15 AM

In the way of retrofits. Dr. Roy's page does have a nice write up. One thing to look out for though is the type of projector you use. The bixenon projectors are fairly larger and need more modding to get to fit then single. BMW uses Bosch for projectors, and I believe audi use bosch and valeo projectors. The best on the market at this point to most people are stanley projectors. They are found on acura tsx and honda s2000. There are some more cost effeicent ones as well for example maxima projectors are quite nice in there own respect. Just do some searching and you will find what fits your own specs. It has mentioned many times but whats one more there is tons of info on HIDPlanet
Old 07-18-2006, 09:16 AM
No More Maxipad

yup i've had s2000 and tsx projectors retrofited on my previous car and they were great. also had e46 non-bixenon retrofited and the stanley ones are way better output. but if i were to do a retrofit on the ebay projector headlights i would choose ECE E46 single xenon ones. they have very good output and are easy to fit on those ebay headlights. i think those stanley projectors would need a lot of work to fit it.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:13 AM

well these kind of light are not supposed to work with HID bulbs for some reason, if you install those, you loose your Xenon lighting and have to go back to halogen bulbs, so basically its up to you, do you want looks or good lighting
Old 07-18-2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by lowincash
yup i've had s2000 and tsx projectors retrofited on my previous car and they were great. also had e46 non-bixenon retrofited and the stanley ones are way better output. but if i were to do a retrofit on the ebay projector headlights i would choose ECE E46 single xenon ones. they have very good output and are easy to fit on those ebay headlights. i think those stanley projectors would need a lot of work to fit it.

how is the e46 ece's compared to the tsx? I am debating between those or the last retro dr. roy did which was the rx330 afs projectors.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have those lights

Hey i have one of those projector lighting, which i also bought from ebay. i have to say, it looks great. it has the clear euro cover. i had it over 6month and it is still nice and clean. only thing is that when you get it, light are not lining correctly. there is a screw that you can adjust, which will not going to be perfect. i can see fine at night. product is not as solid as oem but will do for me. to me, going from HID to this is down grade but for me 01 maxima se ae, i think it looks alot better than the factory one. brightness, i am not sure.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:46 PM
No More Maxipad

Originally Posted by ChromeSE5
how is the e46 ece's compared to the tsx? I am debating between those or the last retro dr. roy did which was the rx330 afs projectors.
the e46 i had was not ece they were just dot but my friend has the ece e46 and honestly their output is about the same. width i will say tsx is slightly wider and is sharper throughout the whole cutoff whereas the ece e46 is very sharp at the step and not so much on the sides. the ece e46 has more color than the tsx tho. overall performance i say their about the same but i haven't been inside his car, i've only compared the output parked next to each other. i've had two retrofits with tsx before so i'm problly going to go with ece e46 just to try them out myself. it's quite a light show when my friend was driving behind me lol
Old 07-18-2006, 02:49 PM

One thing to remember though the bulb K scale your friend was using could have effected the light color as you put it. BMW tend to run a higher K scale then tsx do. Also TSX dont come stock from the factory with the right color alignment. Doing a quick color wash adjustment goes a long ways. For info one that visit Dr. Roy's page and for some pics visit CustomLightz. CustomLightz also does retrofits if they scare you and you want a professional to do it.In the way of retro the BMW single projectors will be an easier fit then the tsx ones. The tsx ones are substancially bigger and might cause you to have to mod the housing to get it in. Also make sure in purchasing a projector that you get a shroud. It cleans the projector up nice. I still stand by the acura/honda projector with quailty wise but when you factor in price and time the BMW might be a better option if you want an easier retrofit.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:12 PM
No More Maxipad

actually my friend's the founder of customlightz...he's the one that's been doing my past 6 retrofits on my accord the past few years. they do great work for great price. it was fun.

also most stock hid setup uses 4100k or 4300k and i think they only use 5000k to replace busted bulbs so they match more with the other one. but i did hear some come with 5000k stock so i'm not sure.

my friend and i both have the same K bulb (4300k) and his has more color on the cutoff than the tsx. but of course with a bit of modding the tsx can get tons of color.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the clarification. As I previously stated I think BMW would probably be a more viable option for retrofits for ebay projectors.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 00 max with ugly faded headlights. Are these just like the OEM HID's? anyone have any luck with these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...08764062QQrdZ1
Old 07-18-2006, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by lowincash
the e46 i had was not ece they were just dot but my friend has the ece e46 and honestly their output is about the same. width i will say tsx is slightly wider and is sharper throughout the whole cutoff whereas the ece e46 is very sharp at the step and not so much on the sides. the ece e46 has more color than the tsx tho. overall performance i say their about the same but i haven't been inside his car, i've only compared the output parked next to each other. i've had two retrofits with tsx before so i'm problly going to go with ece e46 just to try them out myself. it's quite a light show when my friend was driving behind me lol

have you also used or have seen the e55 projectors from an X5? I am thinking of those also.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:03 AM
No More Maxipad

ya the e55 was my very first one. basically i went from e55 to dot e46 to tsx to ece valeos to s2000 then finally back to tsx again. i would have kept on going with more but i wrecked the accord =/ i didn't really like the e55 that much. the e55's had the lowest output out of all the ones i had.