5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Squeaking noise from wheels when driving?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 07:45 AM
Z

Squeaking noise from wheels when driving?

UPDATE 7/24/06: Jeez...my one pad was more worn than the other. It was indeed a brake pad. I was under the assumption that they'll squeal when you apply the brake and pad is low. Not the other way around. But, there was also another issue...my driver's side rear-caliper was frozen! Hah! I had no idea the whole time...and I'm not sure how long it's been that way too. But it couldn't have been longer than 3 months (that's when I got my rotors replaced).

So there we go. OEM pads are in. Hawks are thrown out. Car stops quietly and smoothly. No grinding during low speeds or brake squealing. I'm happy.

------------------

UPDATE 7/23/06: The noise is now very constant. It's INSANELY loud and annoying, MUCH louder than any standard brake squeak. It happens when I drive, and stops when I apply the brakes a little. Dust shield has been bent back a little...and nope. Same sh*t. What the hell is this disgusting sound? It does sound like a metal-to-metal squeak. This is the worst problem I've ever had with the car. Holy God, it makes me cringe. I've been driving the FX for the past 3 days -- and I miss the Maxipad. =(

---------

7/16/06 -- This just started happening yesterday...but if the car isn't driven for a few hours once it starts moving there is a squeaking noise (similar to the sound of squeaking brakes) that squeaks faster as the car goes faster. Eventually, after a minute of stop and go driving it goes away. It's coming from the passenger's side front wheel, it seems.

Is this a bearing issue? What's going on?
Old 07-16-2006, 08:29 AM

It could be the sound that the brakes are designed to make when the brake pads are very low. How does the pad look?
Old 07-16-2006, 01:14 PM

tsb ntb00-030a

not sure if this applies to your production date. The rubber spring seat is replaced to stop the squeek. Did it myself since the part was 8 bucks and the dealership was incompetent. Noise is gone.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Merdan
not sure if this applies to your production date. The rubber spring seat is replaced to stop the squeek. Did it myself since the part was 8 bucks and the dealership was incompetent. Noise is gone.
I had the same problems and I fixed it the same way.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Merdan
Is there any way you can elaborate this for me? I feel like a n00b but I also developed this sound, it seems to have become much more pronounced since I got coilovers. It tends to only happen when the car first begins to move after having sat for several hours (usually as I'm pulling away [left] from the curb if I'm parked on the street).
Old 07-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Need A Light?

i have this problem too...it sux cuz i cant figure out wtf it is!
Old 07-16-2006, 03:19 PM
Z

Originally Posted by sascuderi
It could be the sound that the brakes are designed to make when the brake pads are very low. How does the pad look?
This is a faint sound. And it doesn't happen when the brakes are applied.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:00 AM

I also had this problem when I first got my max, turns out the front passenger wheel hub was a little warn and needed replaced. After that, no more squeaks while turning or breaking.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:07 PM
Z

Hrmm..this doesn't happen when turning or braking. It DOES sound a bit like the sound brakes make when they squeak a bit...just slightly different and a bit lower.

It's also not a sticky caliper, I'm certain.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:41 PM

belts chirping?
Old 07-21-2006, 09:43 AM

I exactly have same problem. Squeaky noise(metal to metal rubbing kind of noise) is from front driver side and it gets faster as I speed up. But as soon as I apply brake it's gone. I suspected caliper but I'm not sure.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Z

Originally Posted by dlee27
I exactly have same problem. Squeaky noise(metal to metal rubbing kind of noise) is from front driver side and it gets faster as I speed up. But as soon as I apply brake it's gone. I suspected caliper but I'm not sure.
Booya! Apply brakes and it's gone. My mechanic Jeff from MaximumTuning told me it's just the dust shield. I'm pretty sure he's correct. It'll be fixed on Monday, likely.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i had that issue also you might need new break discs.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:52 PM
Z

Highly doubt it. I just got new OEM rotors.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:16 AM

hmm sounds kinda strange. if its your dust sheild, the squeak would be constant. wouldnt disappear after you brake. jack the front up and spin the wheel. if its the dust sheild, it would make a constant brushing sound kinda like how the rotors sound when they are on the brake lathe.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Z

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what it sounds like. And it's fairly consistent.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:07 PM

yea i just started hearing this noise today myself, sounds like front passenger wheel, and i did my brakes a month ago, so I dont think its that
Old 07-23-2006, 12:37 AM
Z

WTF! I bent the shield back a bit (in fact, there was a bit of distance in the first place...but I still did it) and the squeaking/metal-to-metal squeak is still there! HELP!!!!!
Old 07-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Z

BUMP. Please read update in first post. I need help desperately.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:02 PM

how much pad do you have left?
Old 07-23-2006, 01:33 PM

I had a VERY LOUD metal to metal noise at slow speed. well in my case it was my wheel bearing, and i had to replace the hub also(freaking $150 for the hub) and $37 for the bearing. Did most of it myself, except pressing out the bearing. it was my passenger side front.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:01 PM
Z

It can't be brakes, it happens when the brakes are NOT used. And goes away when they are.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:02 PM
Z

This sound for me happens at all speeds.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:16 PM

check your pads alignment in the bracket. also see if you can take the caliper off and put some lubricant (bronze color) on the leg of both side of the pad. the metal shim on the bracket that holds the pads might be rusty causing resistance from the pad moving back after you brake causing the pad to rub half way. once you brake, the pad becomes fuly aligned causing it to not squeal.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:03 PM
Z

Why do I have a feeling you're probably right?
Old 07-23-2006, 04:11 PM

It's definitely your pads....my brother's truck was doing it and it annoyed the CRAP out of us...it would go away when he pressed on the brakes, and sometimes it would stop if he turned the wheel, but after he changed his front pads, the noise is completely gone...i would definitely try that. I don't understand it either, because the noise was there when the brakes weren't being used, but you're describing the same EXACT problem that we had just less than a month ago...
Old 07-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Z

Lucky for me I have new OEM pads here ready to go. I'm sick of these Hawks. They bite hard in the low, but dust a f*ck, and sound like sh*t when hot.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:21 PM

well i just got my transverse axels replace and the next day i had a noise like yall have been talking about, well i take the passenger front wheel off and look at the back of my rotor and can see that something has been rubbing into my rotor, well i took my pry bar and bent the dust shield a lil and the noise is gone
Old 07-23-2006, 08:29 PM
Z

I tried the dust shield thing. I think the best explanation so far has been rusty shims or a misaligned/loose pad. I sprayed WD40 (not sure how bright of an idea it is, but whatever) all over the caliper and into the creases so it soaks whatever rust may be inside...and it actually did a good job for about an hour or two the squeaks were very minimal.

Either way, tomorrow is the day this f*cking squeak will die. >=D
Old 07-24-2006, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold
It can't be brakes, it happens when the brakes are NOT used. And goes away when they are.

exactly. how much pad do you have left?

the wear indicator will hit the rotor before the pad will, but when the brakes are applied, theres enough tension on the indicator and pad to shut it up.

seriously, check your pad thickness.

Old 07-24-2006, 05:45 AM
Z

Well, we'll find out soon.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:04 PM
Z

UPDATE 7/24/06: Jeez...my one pad was more worn than the other. It was indeed a brake pad. I was under the assumption that they'll squeal when you apply the brake and pad is low. Not the other way around. But, there was also another issue...my driver's side rear-caliper was frozen! Hah! I had no idea the whole time...and I'm not sure how long it's been that way too. But it couldn't have been longer than 3 months (that's when I got my rotors replaced).

So there we go. OEM pads are in. Hawks are thrown out. Car stops quietly and smoothly. No grinding during low speeds or brake squealing. I'm happy.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:02 PM

your welcome =]
Old 07-25-2006, 07:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I called my local nissan dealer they have no clue what a rubber spring seat is
is there another name for this part???thanks!
Old 07-25-2006, 09:00 AM

It was indeed a brake pad.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:39 AM
MJE

i have the same problem with my front left wheel. I changed not just the pads for new nissan pads but also the rotors ALL around the entire vehicle. Just the front left squeals and it pissese me off
Old 07-25-2006, 03:54 PM

two days ago i experienced the most extreme case of this squeaking noise that i've ever encountered...and it was while i was in REVERSE backing out of the driveway. My front pads are OEM and are VERY VERY LOW. i suppose i'll just wait until new pads are in before i start to worry...
Old 07-28-2006, 01:52 PM

Stops when brakes applied

Booya! Apply brakes and it's gone. My mechanic Jeff from MaximumTuning told me it's just the dust shield. I'm pretty sure he's correct. It'll be fixed on Monday, likely.
I'm having the same problem. And a number of people have been trying to adjust this dust shield and it just bends right back after a day. I'm thinking that rubber shielding might do the job. And not to self - this didn't happen when i had the oem pads on.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:38 AM
Banned

aight well i might be having some kinda problem similiar.....I was getting sqeaking with my oem pads and rotors, it pissed me off so i took drastic measures and got all new pads and rotors....HAWK PADS by the way, and Powerslot slotted rotors in the front, with Brembo blanks for the rear

Now before i did the swap, my brakes would squeal when they got really hot, as well as squeal when i would brake at a slow pace and at low speeds. I also got like a slight rubbing feeling when i was braking, it felt like it was coming from the front drivers side right under my left foot near the dead pedal.

Now that ive changed out my pads and rotors....I didnt get any squeal, nor did i get a slght rub noise. About 3 weeks later..TODAY, my car is squealing again at low speeds, and i can feel that slight rubbing on the drivers side when i brake from like 20 mph and slower....

Does anyone think i have a bad caliper because of the rubbing feeling, or could it just be that i need to have the pins or something properly greased???

all insight would be helpful....thanks!
Old 12-18-2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Trurida18
aight well i might be having some kinda problem similiar.....I was getting sqeaking with my oem pads and rotors, it pissed me off so i took drastic measures and got all new pads and rotors....HAWK PADS by the way....

Now before i did the swap, my brakes would squeal when they got really hot, as well as squeal when i would brake at a slow pace and at low speeds. I also got like a slight rubbing feeling when i was braking, it felt like it was coming from the front drivers side right under my left foot near the dead pedal.

Now that ive changed out my pads and rotors....I didnt get any squeal, nor did i get a slght rub noise. About 3 weeks later..TODAY, my car is squealing again at low speeds, and i can feel that slight rubbing on the drivers side when i brake from like 20 mph and slower....

Does anyone think i have a bad caliper because of the rubbing feeling, or could it just be that i need to have the pins or something properly greased???

all insight would be helpful....thanks!
+1 i'm experiencing similar symptoms, I have Hawk pad and new rotors(slotted) also. At first i thought it was my wheel bearing, but as far as i know when the bearing is bad the noise is doesnt come on and off on different days plus the wheel should be moving a bit when the car is jacked up and i yank back and forth on the wheels. so i'm really thinking it's the brakes please somebody help US!

Quick Reply: Squeaking noise from wheels when driving?