5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

GReddy Catback vs. Cattman Catback...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2001, 07:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sup fellas...

Ok...it has been confirmed that GReddy's catback system for the 5th Gen will be out July 1st... I called yesterday and they did say that it was out. I'm posting this because the other day I called them and they said it would be another 4-5 months....It will be all aluminum and it will cost $629.00.
Whats the story with Cattman's Catback system? Anybody hear about when his will be out? I've been itching to get this mod done so I hope his will be out soon and I hope it will be stainless steel too....holla back!

:vampire: Deac
Old 06-22-2001, 07:28 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I need $$$

*going to look for 5th gen side markers*

j/k
Old 06-22-2001, 07:29 AM
Got Bent?

I asked Cattman about a cat-back and Brian said he was going to develop one and focus more on it once he got his Gen2 Coilovers into production. He said that it would be a solution that would be meant to be coupled with the Y-pipe. So, I guess it is being worked on....
Old 06-22-2001, 08:02 AM
Chillboy

for the greddy catback... what kind is it? is it a sp or evolution?? just wondering

Old 06-22-2001, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by Chillboy
for the greddy catback... what kind is it? is it a sp or evolution?? just wondering

Definitely an EVO, SP is an old style alreayd. BTW, the part # is on Greddy.com but price isn't listed. They list it as maxima GLE 1999-on, they used GLE as prototype???

does anyone know if it will be too loud with Y-Pipe, since the resonator is way smaller than stock?
Old 06-23-2001, 02:50 AM

i prototyped the cattman catback a long time ago but he hasn't had time to measure it yet...everytime i ask him to measure it, he sais his shop is pretty busy...i'm trying to help everyone out, but i'm not exactly sure when he will have time and i will have time together

it is full 304 stainless w/ a 24" stainless resonator, full mandrel bent, including b pipe, o2 sensors...w/ muffler
Old 06-23-2001, 03:05 AM

i prototyped the cattman catback a long time ago but he hasn't had time to measure it yet...everytime i ask him to measure it, he sais his shop is pretty busy...i'm trying to help everyone out, but i'm not exactly sure when he will have time and i will have time together

it is full 304 stainless w/ a 24" stainless resonator, full mandrel bent, including b pipe, o2 sensors...w/ muffler
Old 06-23-2001, 10:49 AM

keep working on him...

Originally posted by MrBurner

I read on here that you had one already...how does it work? Keep the pressure on Brian so that we can get a cattman catback on the market. I know GReddy's is out but I'd rather go with Cattman since I have his intake and y-pipe already...plus his is stainless steel where GReddy is gonna be alumium. We should all e-mail him so he'll get it out ASAP!
Old 06-29-2001, 07:21 PM

Is it really worth all that $$$$$?

Why is it so much money? Are all top end
exhausts going to cost this much? Just
got into the exhaust scene, trying to
pick up some pointers. Keep hearing how
great Greddy is, but if it hasn't been
made yet, how do you know how great it is?
What makes Greddy so much better than
all other exhaust companies out there?
Also, being that I live in NYC, does that
CARB number that comes with the exhaust
hold any importance here or is it just
in California? I know all exhaust
companies make different models, I'm
guessing that the dual tips have a
different sound than the one fat pipe.
Also, what is drone? I'm guessing I
don't want that?
Old 06-29-2001, 07:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Is it really worth all that $$$$$?

CARB is only for California...
California Air Resource Board....or something...
Old 06-29-2001, 10:52 PM

Re: Is it really worth all that $$$$$?

Originally posted by MAXIN24-7
Why is it so much money?
That's one helluva good question, MAXIN24-7. Can you say, MARKETING? I mean, there are some people on this forum who are willing to pay over $400.00 for a muffler . . . A MUFFLER . . . because it has a fancy brand name.

What's the old saying? Oh yeah. There's a fool born every minute!
Old 06-29-2001, 11:08 PM

I am under the impression an exhaust system will add minimal gains to our vehicles. I am not sure as to what the numbers will be, but $600 is a bunch for a little.
Old 06-29-2001, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by mdeal
I am under the impression an exhaust system will add minimal gains to our vehicles. I am not sure as to what the numbers will be, but $600 is a bunch for a little.
ypipe is still the best bang for the buck.
Old 06-29-2001, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by mdeal
That's correct. A mandrel-bent catback with a straight-through muffler is good for about 5 hp. If you're paying $600.00 for a name-brand catback, that works out to about $120.00 per hp. A Y-pipe is good for at least 10 hp. A Y-pipe costs around $400.00. That works out to about $40.00 per hp.

Any questions?
Old 06-30-2001, 01:20 AM

y2kse, you make a decent point, but you have to think about it this way...there is cheap hp and there is more expensive hp...there are only a certain number of cheap hp mods you can do and after that, you can either stop modding or try to squeeze out more hp even though it will cost a little more

now about my exhaust...as i said, it is a full catback from the cat-back...including the b pipe...it is made of 304 stainless steel and is TIG welded...304 stainless is the best type of stainless you can use and tig welding is also known as the best...you can almost not see the welds on this exhaust...i am very happy with the sound and i'm guessing they will sell them for roughly what the greddy sells for...they told me originally that they make an identical exhaust for porsches that retails for around $1200 (not identical, but the same style etc.)...i keep talking to curtis at maxrev and brian all the time...i asked him a little while back about making some other custom stuff and he is currently working on finishing up the cattman coilovers so they will fit on 5th gen...he measured my struts and made sure that the aluminum strut tower addon pieces would fit...he basically said that it would be at least 2 weeks before he can do anything and by then he will be backed up with even more stuff
Old 06-30-2001, 07:29 AM

Originally posted by MrBurner
y2kse, you make a decent point, but you have to think about it this way...there is cheap hp and there is more expensive hp...there are only a certain number of cheap hp mods you can do and after that, you can either stop modding or try to squeeze out more hp even though it will cost a little more . . .
I agree with you, MrBurner. The point I was trying to make is that in a lot of cases, you can purchase or make generic mods that provide the same level of performance at a much lower cost than the name-brand alternatives. And nowhere does this occur more frequently than exhaust systems.

Granted, stainless steel piping and TIG welds will make a difference in cost. But how important are stainless steel pipes and TIG welds? If you live where I do . . . Southern California . . . stainless steel piping is a waste of money. And when was the last time you heard of a Stillen Y-pipe coming apart because it's constructed using MIG welds?

I know that not everyone lives in Southern California and that stainless steel is the preferred material for exhaust systems in many areas of the country. What I don't know is how much more expensive stainless steel piping is by the foot compared to aluminized mild steel piping. I've never felt the need to investigate that issue. But my guess is that a person could go to a reputable muffler shop and have a customized, stainless steel, mandrel-bent exhaust system made with a Magnaflow or DynoMax stainless steel muffler and tip for significantly less than $600.00. And it will perform as well as any pre-fabricated, name-brand exhaust system on the market. No, it won't be TIG welded. But it will never come apart. And unless someone who purchases a name-brand system plans to spend a lot of time under their car admiring their TIG welds, they'll soon forget they're even there.

FYI, my aluminized mild-steel, mandrel-bent, MIG-welded custom catback with aluminized Magnaflow muffler and stainless steel tip cost less than $300.00 INSTALLED.
Old 06-30-2001, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by y2kse

I agree with you, MrBurner. The point I was trying to make is that in a lot of cases, you can purchase or make generic mods that provide the same level of performance at a much lower cost than the name-brand alternatives. And nowhere does this occur more frequently than exhaust systems.

Granted, stainless steel piping and TIG welds will make a difference in cost. But how important are stainless steel pipes and TIG welds? If you live where I do . . . Southern California . . . stainless steel piping is a waste of money. And when was the last time you heard of a Stillen Y-pipe coming apart because it's constructed using MIG welds?

I know that not everyone lives in Southern California and that stainless steel is the preferred material for exhaust systems in many areas of the country. What I don't know is how much more expensive stainless steel piping is by the foot compared to aluminized mild steel piping. I've never felt the need to investigate that issue. But my guess is that a person could go to a reputable muffler shop and have a customized, stainless steel, mandrel-bent exhaust system made with a Magnaflow or DynoMax stainless steel muffler and tip for significantly less than $600.00. And it will perform as well as any pre-fabricated, name-brand exhaust system on the market. No, it won't be TIG welded. But it will never come apart. And unless someone who purchases a name-brand system plans to spend a lot of time under their car admiring their TIG welds, they'll soon forget they're even there.

FYI, my aluminized mild-steel, mandrel-bent, MIG-welded custom catback with aluminized Magnaflow muffler and stainless steel tip cost less than $300.00 INSTALLED.
Well, I would want SS pipes. You know why? I LIVE IN SEATTLE! I wouldn't want my y-pipe to rust over in 3 months. The MIG welds don't scare me. The pipe would hold up well for any type of driving I do.
Old 06-30-2001, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by footemps

Well, I would want SS pipes. You know why? I LIVE IN SEATTLE! I wouldn't want my y-pipe to rust over in 3 months. The MIG welds don't scare me. The pipe would hold up well for any type of driving I do.
Super, footemps. Then you'll definitely want to go with Cattman Performance for your Y-pipe.

As far as your catback is concerned, call around to some reputable muffler shops in your area and find out what they'd charge you to install a custom, mandrel-bent, stainless steel catback system with a Magnaflow or DynoMax stainless steel muffler in your Maxima. Then let us know what you find out.
Old 07-02-2001, 01:06 PM
Chillboy

Yeah, you pay more if you get the namebrand catback, but i think its worth it. but i guess im the type of guy who only buys name brand products, whether clothes, electronics, food, etc. besides, if you buy the whole catback, installing is a piece of cake. you dont have to take it to a muffler shop, to whom i dont trust after they put my dtm muffler slightly crooked and would not fixt it.
but regardless, if performance is all you need, id go for that and save money and use that money on other mods. i im a namebrand type of guy... but dont think im a jerk, becuz i am a broke namebrand type of guy. peace out!

Originally posted by y2kse

Old 07-02-2001, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by footemps

I live in Seattle also and I think it is not even close to the damage I experienced in Hawaii. Mostly due to the salt water in the air. How bad do you think the Aluminum will rust? There is also the consideration of weight???!!!
Old 07-02-2001, 01:34 PM
PhatGuy

I live in Canada and went with the Cattman SS as well. We get crazy snow with salt and sand on the roads. The stock y on a 2k1 was 30lbs my new Cattman Y was 15lbs so I don't think weight is really an issue between stillen and Catt. I think SS is the safe way to go no matter where you live.

Originally posted by CIRCO

I live in Seattle also and I think it is not even close to the damage I experienced in Hawaii. Mostly due to the salt water in the air. How bad do you think the Aluminum will rust? There is also the consideration of weight???!!!

Old 07-02-2001, 01:50 PM
I'm needing a caw

Foottemps and Circo. I live in Bellevue! I have the cattman Jet-Hot y and custom aluminized cat-back. The cat back is about 2 years old and it's in great condition. Stan's headers and mufflers did the work(Auburn). If you want to take a look sometime, let me know.

You guys ever make to any of the NW meets yet?